• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Scales... what are you using? which scales are accurate? digi or analog?

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I don't need any expensive sensitive digital scale. It's actually really easy to make an analog one with high precision with almost zero cost. So far it worked really well for me.
It takes more time to measure with that, but it can be even more precise than a 0.01g digital. It can measure even miligrams precisely if you give it enough time and can handle up to 10 grams or so.

How to make it:
1) Take a wooden skewer and cut 3 ring on it that are the same distance apart each other and as far as possible.
2) Get/build 2 plates and tie them to the 2 outer rings (The knot must be on the bottom side of the skewer).
3) Get/build a base and tie it to the middle ring (The knot must be on top of the skewer. It should be tied like this, i think it's called a reef knot).
4) Calibrate to zero by cutting out tiny pieces of matter from the heavier end.
5) You have a sensitive analog scale.

You just have to be a little more patient using it. ANY wind affects it a lot because of its sensitivity. So it is best used when wind-shielded (in a box with one open side), don't breathe at it and wait like 10-30 seconds for it to stabilize and give you the answer.
You can also get some set of light weights so you can measure absolutely.

I've made several of these, they all work great. If you just need to precisely measure anything at home occasionaly, it's all you need.
A photo of this kind of scale.

Last edited:
Seek,
You can also get some set of light weights so you can measure absolutely.
Um... The only way you can weigh anything on a simple balance scale is to use weights. Pretty sure that a decent set costs more than many of the digital scales discussed in this thread.

max

Out to lunch
jdee said:
What advantage does a name brand scale have over a $1 scale off ebay with free shipping, that has a resolution of 0.01g ? The $1 scale can be confirmed for accuracy using calibration weights, and calibrated using the same weights you would use on expensive scales.
A GOOD brand name scale, like My Weigh, has better parts and a more durable design. The cheapie scale won't stand up to a minor drop, or sometimes even a good jar, while the My Weigh is built to last. When their Triton T2 can be had for $12-15, for example, IMO it's a no brainer to go for a name brand like My Weigh or Jennings.

Um... The only way you can weigh anything on a simple balance scale is to use weights. Pretty sure that a decent set costs more than many of the digital scales discussed in this thread.
Good point. Not much demand for weights these days, so they can be hard to find and pricey. Some have used coins as a substitute, but they're a poor choice for precision weighing, since they can vary quite a bit. I picked up two pennies at random and weighed 'em on my .01g accuracy scale and one weighed 3.08g and the other 2.51g.

max,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Good point. Not much demand for weights these days, so they can be hard to find and pricey. Some have used coins as a substitute, but they're a poor choice for precision weighing, since they can vary quite a bit. I picked up two pennies at random and weighed 'em on my .01g accuracy scale and one weighed 3.08g and the other 2.51g.
I think it's weird you say they're a poor choice for weighing when the US Mint standardizes the weight of the coins.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/index.cfm?action=Coin_specifications

Quetzalcoatl,

max

Out to lunch
I think it's weird you say they're a poor choice for weighing when the US Mint standardizes the weight of the coins.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/index.cfm?action=Coin_specifications
The proof is in the weighing. They may start out the same but even if you clean 'em up to eliminate the dirt factor, wear and tear will shave weight off. Sure you can find multiple coins that weigh the same, but in order to do so, you need a quality digital scale, and if you have one, there's really no point in messing with coins unless you're trying to help your penniless friend make do with a home made analog scale.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I've been using the same Jennings scale since 2006, and it's still going strong. Almost 9 years now. :)

Top Bottom