Sapphire and Ruby inserts for bangers

Worth it! :lol:

And why go with such an expensive gemstone when you can grab a ruby for like what $250?

Thank you!!!! :rockon:

The hype around saph was real for me. I have been on that surface since the first insert from dnail. This turned me into a huge custy, and I have fallen for the marketing behind ruby. I feel the replacement of aluminum by chromium in ruby would make for a better dabbing surface. My great saph experience made me susceptible to the ruby marketing, my positive ruby experience has made me the perfect custy for colored ruby.

there's a lot of weird shit that can happen to things when the process and constituents are manipulated.

biohacker

The hype around saph was real for me. I have been on that surface since the first insert from dnail. This turned me into a huge custy, and I have fallen for the marketing behind ruby. I feel the replacement of aluminum by chromium in ruby would make for a better dabbing surface. My great saph experience made me susceptible to the ruby marketing, my positive ruby experience has made me the perfect custy for colored ruby.

Haha! So you notice a distinct tangible difference between sapphire and ruby?

I'm just waiting for some cheaper SiC inserts to come out

I need a SiC insert! Even if it's expensive... any suggestions?

biohacker,

biohacker

heres only one that I know of. Its from fadespace its 125 so its not crazy expensive

Cool, i'm really curious how it would taste vs the sapphire. I've never had SiC without Ti in the path.

Can you drop tech SiC?

biohacker,

pghjd

Cool, i'm really curious how it would taste vs the sapphire. I've never had SiC without Ti in the path.

Can you drop tech SiC?
Theres no problem with drop tech. SiC has better thermal properties than quartz, sapphire, and ruby. It doesn't melt at any known temp. You can torch them clean if thats what you want to do

Haha! So you notice a distinct tangible difference between sapphire and ruby?

I need a SiC insert! Even if it's expensive... any suggestions?

I do notice a difference going in back to back on the same set-up with the same concentrate, only difference is ruby vs saph.

I seemingly can drop my nail about 5-10 degrees. it's subtle, but I seem to get better flavor with vaporization being the same.

I haven't done a triangle test with this so I can't say definitively.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
SiC has better thermal properties than quartz, sapphire, and ruby.

I don't think those thermal properties mean much in a real life usage scenario though. Pretty much everybody on the forum prefers quartz over SiC despite 1/120th of the conductivity...

Sure you can torch SiC clean which is cool I guess, but I thought we were getting all these swank inserts for lower temp dabs? SiC is definitely meltable by the way; you may want to familiarize yourself with the manufacturing process; it literally starts with a resistance furnace.

@helpoverthere have you compared SiC vs gemstones?

yes I have.

so I have obsidian which is pretty close to sic on my liger (which I am trying to sell now -_-)

most of my experience comes from dnail halos. I have one saph and one SiC.

Sic vaporizes thick clouds more similar to titanium than any other surface I have tried. That being said, it is not as close to sapphire as some make it seem.

It cleans the easiest of any surface I have tried. This property is awesome, but I never have issues with gems either.

The flavor is very good with great reproduction, yet it lacks a lot of the "top-note" reproduction that makes saph / ruby so favorable imo.

SiC is much tastier than titanium, and offers a more uniform dabbing experience than quartz (decent top, middle, and lower notes). however, it lacks the top notes that quartz has (especially torched) and despite its better thermal conductivity and specific heat, it struggles to get past that.

dabbing is a mix of flavor, efficiency of vaporization, and a density of the vapor produced. for me, the gemstones just hit that spot right on.

pghjd

I don't think those thermal properties mean much in a real life usage scenario though. Pretty much everybody on the forum prefers quartz over SiC despite 1/120th of the conductivity...

Sure you can torch SiC clean which is cool I guess, but I thought we were getting all these swank inserts for lower temp dabs? SiC is definitely meltable by the way; you may want to familiarize yourself with the manufacturing process; it literally starts with a resistance furnace.
SiC doesn't melt it directly sublimes at 4892F. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/silicon_carbide#section=Color

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
SiC is extremely conductive which results in a compressed flavor profile compared to longer "rung out" notes from quartz.

Like I said, it STARTS with a resistance furnace. It literally dissolves like sugar in a coffee. Regardless, I can't see how a 5000 degree sublimation point would be an advantage to anyone. I'm here for flavor, effect, and smoothness; not thermodynamics numerical values.

biohacker

This smoothness is a double edged sword! Just swallowed .05 in one gulp like it was AIR! Felt like I didn't even need to exhale the vapour was so smooth and cool. And now I want another! :lol: TOO smooth!

pghjd

SiC is extremely conductive which results in a compressed flavor profile compared to longer "rung out" notes from quartz.

Like I said, it STARTS with a resistance furnace. It literally dissolves like sugar in a coffee. Regardless, I can't see how a 5000 degree sublimation point would be an advantage to anyone. I'm here for flavor, effect, and smoothness; not thermodynamics numerical values.
Quartz is one of if not the most widely used crystal for conducting electricity so I don't think conductivity is gonna ruin the flavor as much as you think it will. SiC is highly chemically inert and can hold temp for a long time and heats very evenly. I think it has potential in quartz. All we've really seen so far is SiC on titanium nails.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains

there's a lot of weird shit that can happen to things when the process and constituents are manipulated.

Just to be clear, chromium does not replace all of the aluminum when forming ruby. Chromium impurities replace 1-2% of the aluminum ions in the crystal structure, a very negligible amount.

Both sapphire and ruby are gem forms of corundum, Al2O3. When there are zero impurities, you get a clear, or "white sapphire". When you start adding trace amounts of impurities, you start to change the color of the gem.

Rubies get their red color from trace amounts of chromium impurities in the crystal structure. Sapphires, blue corundum, get their color from trace titanium impurities in the crystal structure.

Sorry, just a geology nerd needing to clarify!

Source: https://geology.com/gemstones/ruby-and-sapphire/

I would love to pick up a sapphire/ruby insert for my 30mm banger at some point, just not in the cards right now. Til then, I'll just keep it loaded up with sapphire/ruby pearls/steamrollers!

Still calling bulllshit on Adapt Tech's claims about their (blue) sapphire!

Last edited:

pghjd

Just to be clear, chromium does not replace all of the aluminum when forming ruby. Chromium impurities replace 1-2% of the aluminum ions in the crystal structure, a very negligible amount.

Both sapphire and ruby are gem forms of corundum, Al2O3. When there are zero impurities, you get a clear, or "white sapphire". When you start adding trace amounts of impurities, you start to change the color of the gem.

Rubies get there red color from trace amounts of chromium impurities in the crystal structure. Sapphires, blue corundum, get their color from trace titanium impurities in the crystal structure.

I would love to pick up a sapphire/ruby insert for my 30mm banger at some point, just not in the cards right now. Til then, I'll just keep it loaded up with sapphire/ruby pearls/steamrollers!

Can't lie adapt tech is makin some crazy claims.

Rubies get there red color from trace amounts of chromium impurities in the crystal structure. Sapphires, blue corundum, get their color from trace titanium impurities in the crystal structure.

agreed. Never said the corundum differed by a full replacement of ions, if it did it wouldn't be corundum lol the chemical formula would change.

adapt tech is out of control with unwarranted claims. That being said, you disagree with the scientific principle behind absorption, reflection, and transmission?

darker things heat up in the sun more quickly due to increased absorption. different colors, different wavelengths, different absorption.

why wouldn't color have an effect on thermal properties?

aluminum has "higher" thermal properties than chromium, yet following that logic breaks down when subjectively comparing saph to ruby.

helpoverthere,
Reactions: Roth

pghjd

agreed. Never said the corundum differed by a full replacement of ions, if it did it wouldn't be corundum lol the chemical formula would change.

adapt tech is out of control with unwarranted claims. That being said, you disagree with the scientific principle behind absorption, reflection, and transmission?

darker things heat up in the sun more quickly due to increased absorption. different colors, different wavelengths, different absorption.

aluminum has "higher" thermal properties than chromium, yet following that logic breaks down when subjectively comparing saph to ruby.
And the crazy thing is that I can understand trying to make a buck, but at least keep it real with your customers. If you want to charge a crazy price go ahead. Just tell the truth about what it is. Some stoner with too much extra cash will probably buy it just for the hype.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains

For sure, I assumed you knew that, was more a clarification for others that might be reading this and not know the full difference.

I absolutely think there could be some differences between ruby and blue sapphire when dabbing off of it. It's actually pretty suprising how big of a difference a small amount of impurities can make.

I'm just calling bullshit on AT's claims until they provide some science or proof. They're claiming a 150 degree temp drop from ruby? I don't buy that for a second.

They're just trying to come up with ways to inflate their price.

Edit: and welcome to FC! Glad to have you here :)

And the crazy thing is that I can understand trying to make a buck, but at least keep it real with your customers. If you want to charge a crazy price go ahead. Just tell the truth about what it is. Some stoner with too much extra cash will probably buy it just for the hype.
agreed. they lost me long before they started cutting and polishing like crazy.

can't justify them

in this case though, they actually have based their outrageous claim on something sound.

no way its 150 degree difference like they claim, but the science is behind them on thermal properties and wavelength.

pghjd

agreed. they lost me long before they started cutting and polishing like crazy.

can't justify them

in this case though, they actually have based their outrageous claim on something sound.

no way its 150 degree difference like they claim, but the science is behind them on thermal properties and wavelength.
Honestly at 750 an insert it better take the dab for me lol

For sure, I assumed you knew that, was more a clarification for others that might be reading this and not know the full difference.

I absolutely think there could be some differences between ruby and blue sapphire when dabbing off of it. It's actually pretty suprising how big of a difference a small amount of impurities can make.

I'm just calling bullshit on AT's claims until they provide some science or proof. They're claiming a 150 degree temp drop from ruby? I don't buy that for a second.

They're just trying to come up with ways to inflate their price.

150 is not possible. then again, my black car gets so much hotter than my silver one it is mind boggling.

I wish that some company other than adapt made this claim. with adapt making it, it is suspect as Hell because they'd say anything to make a buck as you pointed out.

Honestly at 750 an insert it better take the dab for me lol

for that price they should include the inserts weight as free dabs as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom