Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Picked up a 5 pack of hygrometers on amazon for cheap, think they were about $15 for the 5 pack. These hygrometers are not 100% accurate but as you can see they vary +/- 1% it seems. I left them in a sealed container for 48 hours to stabilize the RH with my salt water solution to achieve 75% RH.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BLY177S

These are good enough for me. I'll probably do as @Hackerman and incorporate them into the lid of some mason jars and work on smell proofing it properly.

oqaclv.jpg

Alexis

Picked up a 5 pack of hygrometers on amazon for cheap, think they were about $15 for the 5 pack. These hygrometers are not 100% accurate but as you can see they vary +/- 1% it seems. I left them in a sealed container for 48 hours to stabilize the RH with my salt water solution to achieve 75% RH.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BLY177S

These are good enough for me. I'll probably do as @Hackerman and incorporate them into the lid of some mason jars and work on smell proofing it properly.

oqaclv.jpg
Good find man. And 1% is more than good enough by my book. I mean they could even be 74.9 for all we can know, and in such a case would be more accurate in real life usage possibly.

I looked at a few reviews in the Amazon link. Seems like durability is the biggest complaint, with high failiure rate. Lots are defective on arrival. So it will be interesting to see how yours hold up. I am amazed at the accuracy though for such a cheap product.

Im still happy with my little white ones I showed. Ive had one of them over a year and still solid. Pretty robust. I never had a single Calibre 111 that lasted a whole year (and consequently, I NEVER paid for one lol.)

Instead of Caliber, it should have been something like "Hire-gromyter". :)

NYChuck

Anyone have experience with these guys?

https://www.majic.solutions/synergic/

(Prices seems ok in comparison w/ some others I've seen ... ~$10 per mL)

Yeah man! I have been using it for bout 6 months now maybe. Was using some other stuff called viscosity but think the synergic flavorless has less flavor than viscosity. Really takes up the flavor of what you put in. Keeps it real, just thins it out.

Anybody here been using AIO devices? Looking for suggestions on how thick or thin I need to make juice for AIO types. Know that's off topic so I'd love it if one of y'all had suggestions maybe message me.

NYChuck,
Reactions: JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
What about using THC distillate to thin out winterized rosin? Distillate is fairly cheap and accessible here and one can get flavourless distillate ...

One can get 97-99% THC distillate for <$30/mL (CAD not USD) here, so that's a pretty decent price and makes it a good option for use as a filler maybe? Might be cheaper than terpenes ... even fruit ones! :lol:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
What about using THC distillate to thin out winterized rosin? Distillate is fairly cheap and accessible here and one can get flavourless distillate ...

I've been wanting to try that for a while, but clean, raw distillate in California is pretty difficult to come across. I have a theory that you could cut almost any type of extract with raw distillate, since it vapes so clean. I've been wanting to try a tank with some live bubble hash rosin cut with distillate to wick better but haven't had a chance yet.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I've been wanting to try that for a while, but clean, raw distillate in California is pretty difficult to come across. I have a theory that you could cut almost any type of extract with raw distillate, since it vapes so clean. I've been wanting to try a tank with some live bubble hash rosin cut with distillate to wick better but haven't had a chance yet.
I would still need to winterize my rosin first though correct? To get rid of waxes? Lower micron bag wouldn't help here? (just thinking of what I can try now while I save up the ~$400 for a vacuum pump/oven setup)

Edit: This has also caught my eye ->https://foggterpenes.com/collections/new-releases/products/fogg-cutter-pure-terpene-liquidizer

Anyone have experience with Fogg Cutter (pure terpene liquidizer)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I would still need to winterize my rosin first though correct? To get rid of waxes? Lower micron bag wouldn't help here? (just thinking of what I can try now while I save up the ~$400 for a vacuum pump/oven setup)

You should try it without winterizing if you have nice sappy, terpy rosin and cut with the disty, maybe 1:1 or so? Add a drop of terps if ya got it, that's what I would try first.

The THC being decarbed in the distillate will probably give a more wick friendly solution than fully purged alcohol extract (after winterization) which tends to be more of a glass solid.

JCat

Accessory Maker
You should try it without winterizing if you have nice sappy, terpy rosin and cut with the disty, maybe 1:1 or so? Add a drop of terps if ya got it, that's what I would try first.

The THC being decarbed in the distillate will probably give a more wick friendly solution than fully purged alcohol extract (after winterization) which tends to be more of a glass solid.
So you would recommend decarbing it? How would you recommend mixing? Do I need to heat for an extended period or just until they blend?

If this worked that would be great! (Like I said ... distillate can be had for pretty cheap ... especially in bulk)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
So you would recommend decarbing it? How would you recommend mixing? Do I need to heat for an extended period or just until they blend?

If this worked that would be great! (Like I said ... distillate can be had for pretty cheap ... especially in bulk)

Distillate is already decarbed, what I would try is mixing 1:1 distillate + the terpiest rosin you got' and perhaps a drop or two of terpenes if you have some and see what that gets you.

I would warm the distillate with low heat and once it becomes runny, add in the rosin + pure terpenes (if using)

You could also jar tech the rosin first until it turns translucent, that might help it wick better, though I'm really not sure.

If you're going to winterize the rosin I wouldn't decarb it, you could, but I think it would remove more of that vaporized entourage effect.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
There was one customer review where was recommended to mix 1.0g trates with 0.5ml Fog Cutter and a few drops of terps for use in cartridges

JCat

Accessory Maker
There was one customer review where was recommended to mix 1.0g trates with 0.5ml Fog Cutter and a few drops of terps for use in cartridges
That seems like a lot of mix! Don't really want to add 1/3 filler ... would rather add none! :) ... hopefully distillate can work out ok as since I would vape it on it's own it should be pretty decent filler (and doesn't decrease the THC % but rather increases it! :lol: )

Baron23

Here's our latest press in the NewVape stable.

The "Tegridy 20" ton please let me know what you think.

The price is $1,200 shipped to usa, and canada

https://www.newvape.com/tegridy-20-ton-rosin-press

tegridy-20a.jpg
You will find no higher quality than NV. Design, materials, machining workmanship, and USA CS.

All made in USA.

I have a NV Micro 20 and it’s built like an M1 tank. Do not discount the bi-metal plates. Over the course of time, owners will, IMO, come to value the durability of SS press surfaces over aluminum.

You can get cheaper, but not better and my experience is you get what you pay for.

This unit is a great offering in that it preserves most of NV’s advantages and features but at a lower price point.

All made in USA.

Am I seeing things or is that a DabPress PID running the whole thing? LOL j/k

Love the look. So "Stocky and Beefy". A handle might be neat.

Very nice.

EDIT: I love this. I was looking on the web site and the manufacture recommends this for a portable case.

I love this kind of stuff in a manufacturer. Very creative. Kudos.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ridgid-22-in-Pro-Gear-Cart-Tool-Box-in-Black-222573/205441921

If you scroll down on the Home Depot page there are other products listed as "Often Bought Together with this Item". Wouldn't it be cool to see a New Vape Rosin Press listed down there. LOL

Last edited:

Baron23

Am I seeing things or is that a DabPress PID running the whole thing? LOL j/k

No, no...no need to be joking....yes, I did overlook the PID and yes, it is a Dabpress Chinese item. I guess I meant the metal work. But you are right to point this out.

I'm wouldn't be at all surprised if the cartridge heaters and TC's are also Chinese made. Not sure items such as this are even made in USA at all any longer.

showman

What are the advantages of Rosin compared with CO2 Oil or BHO? I know that there are no solvents used, but what advantages does this give? are there other benefits? Not really up to speed on this and just want to know what the benefits are compared to what I can just buy.

showman,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
What are the advantages of Rosin compared with CO2 Oil or BHO? I know that there are no solvents used, but what advantages does this give? are there other benefits? Not really up to speed on this and just want to know what the benefits are compared to what I can just buy.

Rosin is essentially a cleaner version of traditional hashish techniques, to me that means its pretty safe to use as hashishin traditions go back thousands of years. This forum is not extremely big on hash culture but its interesting to note that most historical past and present cannabis using cultures did prepare hash and not smoke flowers. Rosin is a mechanical separation, it just uses heat and pressure to melt the resin and filter it, this is vastly different from a chemical solvent extraction like BHO which chemically dissolves the trichome glands.

For one rosin is much, much simpler and safer to produce yourself. For a home grower or dabber looking to produce their own concentrates, its definitely the most affordable way to a quality product.

Rosin tends to feel more full spectrum to me, a more complete high closer to the flower. It also tends to taste the closest to the starting material to me.

Baron23

I know that there are no solvents used, but what advantages does this give?

Aside from no solvent, it tends to be more naturally full spectrum if you don't cook the shit out of it and kill the terps.

Lots of good hydro solvent products out there with good terp profiles....from added terps. Squishing, if done gently, seems to preserve these other compounds so the effects are more flower like, IME.

NYChuck

One can get 97-99% THC distillate for <$30/mL (CAD not USD) here, so that's a pretty decent price and makes it a good option for use as a filler maybe? Might be cheaper than terpenes ... even fruit ones! :lol:
Im no scientist but wouldn't a 97-99% distillate be a solid? I mean I get 99% CBD and its a crystal and I think the guys that have really isolated thc are also getting crystals or atleast hard shatter. I don't think the distillate makers are being really honest with what they are doing. And wouldn't cutting rosin with a distillate still make for some crazy thick semi solid stuff when room temp? Also, when I talked with Majic Solutions about their stuff I got the impression that they sell a shitload of Synergic naked to professional distillate cart guys to cut the distillate enough to make it flow. And I trust them because from what I have seen they are about as legit and honest as they come. BTW thats not realy a plug for them or their product but they have really done me right with their patience n support while I was figuring stuff out where other companies either sold me crap or left me hangin.

Wish I could get flavorless distillate for 30 a ml. But I would still cut it with something with a variety of terps because that gives you a weed like high, not just a thc high. When I buy concentrates I usually go for smell over claimed thc content and that has worked out good for me. The stankier the better. Think a thc high is just to flat for me. Doesn't compare to buds at all which is what Im always going for. Bud like vapes!

I never made rosin personally but have done bho. Love the flavor of rosin and when its around I pick up as much as I can. Bho is great if made right but made right is the key words on that because cant tell you how many times I got some an you can taste the tane. Either are going to have the plant wax which is what you don't want in your tank. Clogs the hell out of wicks. C02 is real clean and has almost none based on what I get.

I don't like to winterize because it kills the terps in the process. Only do it when I get some really waxy stuff and use some 200 proof I bought on Amazon. But most of the time Im using my stuff in regular vape equipment which like a runnier liquid and I just filter it out of that. Much simpler and faster plus wont kill the terp profile of your stuff. I like to keep it real as possible. Rosin has such good flavor I don't want to kill it but preserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
NYChuck,
Reactions: Hogni

NYChuck

THCA is crystalline, THC is liquid.

Raw distillate wicks fine in CCELL cartridges, it does not need to be cut with anything.
K. Makes more sense. But I don't think I would call THC liquid really. Fluid when warm?

Wont argue that distillate works fine in a ccell. It definetly does and those little things changed my opinion on the small carts. But also think half of what you are getting out of them is a smoke hit and not a real vapor hit like you get in big vapes. But im not against them, just think there is a better way if you want a true weed experience. I have probably been smokin dope longer than a lot of guys on here have been alive. Im picky. If im vapin it I want it to be as close to bud as possible and without smoke. Distillate and oil carts just don't get me there. Handy yes, good yes, great no. I travel a lot for my job and have bought them all over the US. Have bought a lot of the hyped up brands from legit sources and they all are about the same.

NYChuck,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
K. Makes more sense. But I don't think I would call THC liquid really. Fluid when warm?

Wont argue that distillate works fine in a ccell. It definetly does and those little things changed my opinion on the small carts. But also think half of what you are getting out of them is a smoke hit and not a real vapor hit like you get in big vapes. But im not against them, just think there is a better way if you want a true weed experience. I have probably been smokin dope longer than a lot of guys on here have been alive. Im picky. If im vapin it I want it to be as close to bud as possible and without smoke. Distillate and oil carts just don't get me there. Handy yes, good yes, great no. I travel a lot for my job and have bought them all over the US. Have bought a lot of the hyped up brands from legit sources and they all are about the same.

It's absolutely a liquid, it's just thick, like molasses.

I'm just curious what part of the distillate do you think is smoking because it's literally the purest concentrate around with the most resistance to combustion of any cannabis product as it has nearly zero plant contaminant.

Personally I think co2 oil carts are some of the strongest, most full spectrum vapor I have ever inhaled. And distillate flavored with live resin sauce is absolutely incredible. I just checked your post history and see you are flavoring distillate with vegetable terps at highly diluted ratios, this is why our experiences are so different. You want it to taste and feel like weed but are using chemicals from other plants, it's no wonder you are not satisfied. Sorry you fell for the marketing, it's the equivalent of me selling you a bag of oregano and calling it Kush...

It's absolutely a liquid, it's just thick, like molasses.

I'm just curious what part of the distillate do you think is smoking because it's literally the purest concentrate around with the most resistance to combustion of any cannabis product as it has nearly zero plant contaminant.

Personally I think co2 oil carts are some of the strongest, most full spectrum vapor I have ever inhaled. And distillate flavored with live resin sauce is absolutely incredible. I just checked your post history and see you are flavoring distillate with vegetable terps at highly diluted ratios, this is why our experiences are so different. You want it to taste and feel like weed but are using chemicals from other plants, it's no wonder you are not satisfied. Sorry you fell for the marketing, it's the equivalent of me selling you a bag of oregano and calling it Kush...

@invertedisdead Are you saying that Limonene from cannabis is different than limonene from an orange?

Hackerman,
Top Bottom