Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

NYChuck

Not nice. Warning point issued.
It's absolutely a liquid, it's just thick, like molasses.

I'm just curious what part of the distillate do you think is smoking because it's literally the purest concentrate around with the most resistance to combustion of any cannabis product as it has nearly zero plant contaminant.

Personally I think co2 oil carts are some of the strongest, most full spectrum vapor I have ever inhaled. And distillate flavored with live resin sauce is absolutely incredible. I just checked your post history and see you are flavoring distillate with vegetable terps at highly diluted ratios, this is why our experiences are so different. You want it to taste and feel like weed but are using chemicals from other plants, it's no wonder you are not satisfied. Sorry you fell for the marketing, it's the equivalent of me selling you a bag of oregano and calling it Kush...
Not gonna argue the definition of a liquid. You can call it what you want.

From years of vaping stuff, weed nic whateva, I do know that without good flow to your coils you get burning. It could be like you are saying and thc is resistant to combustion but what about the terps? Im a tinkerer and have taken apart a bunch of different carts to see what the inside looks like after use. Store bought ones. Reputable brands. You cant tell me there is no burning. It might be terps and not thc but it happens. Used innards can be black as hell. You not gonna convince me that these $1-2 Chinese made carts are so precise that they only vaporize. Plus what im really saying is that the average person is hitting them so hard (like I do) trying to get a good pipe like hit that they are getting some burning. Thats just my thoughts from what Ive seen.

And yeah I mix my concentrates with something to make them flow. Thats because I like the function of real vape parts that flow a decent amount of air and to use them it has to flow. Im not satisfied by the airflow of the oil carts, not whats inside so you are wrong there. I like big hits and don't like feeling like im trying to suck through a coffee stir. Im completely happy and loving the PLANT based terps that im using. Works great. Tastes great. Even in the little carts. Just prefer the big ones. IMO they are more satisfying for a life long daily tokin pot head like myself.

Good for you that you are such an elite purist with almost 4000 posts and thanks for shit talking and making a new guy to the site feel welcome. The scene is different in NY than Cali. Hopefully someday we will legalize and I can be an elite purist such as you. But our underground scene here is pretty good and Im far from some green sucker that falls for marketing thanks. Sounds more like you are if you believe that your distallate carts are out there aren't cut with stuff. Hate to break it to you but lots of companies are cutting them with different terps and oils that don't come from weed. But Im sure thats not what you are using because you are an expert purist and don't fall for marketing ever huh. And BTW your analogy is dumb as fuck. Oregano and kush. Funny

NYChuck,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead Are you saying that Limonene from cannabis is different than limonene from an orange?

Nope, food terp "profiles" will NEVER taste like real cannabis for the same reason strawberry pop tarts don't taste like a ripe Oregon berry. It's not that the terpenes can't be sourced from other plants, its that the ratios are too complex. Despite what the marketing agencies tell you, it's easier and cheaper to distill real cannabis terpenes than create a true profile from alternative plants.

It takes 10,000 pounds of rose petals to make ONE pound of rose oil. Why don't they just use industrial terpenes? Cause it's NOT the same and it never will be.

Plus what im really saying is that the average person is hitting them so hard (like I do) trying to get a good pipe like hit that they are getting some burning. Thats just my thoughts from what Ive seen.

I'm aware of how other people hit them, I have no answers for the crowd still looking for a pipe hit cause thats harsh as hell. I hit them at 3V and it feels smooth as air.

Good for you that you are such an elite purist with almost 4000 posts and thanks for shit talking and making a new guy to the site feel welcome. The scene is different in NY than Cali. Hopefully someday we will legalize and I can be an elite purist such as you. But our underground scene here is pretty good and Im far from some green sucker that falls for marketing thanks. Sounds more like you are if you believe that your distallate carts are out there aren't cut with stuff. Hate to break it to you but lots of companies are cutting them with different terps and oils that don't come from weed. But Im sure thats not what you are using because you are an expert purist and don't fall for marketing ever huh.

Nah you're not gonna spin this one on me. Do you really think you're being respectful to members who have been here for a long time ranting about how you've been smoking longer than everyone on the forum? Do you even know the average age of members here?

And you're spot on that I'm not using watered down oils because I do my due diligence. I'm sorry for your states current progress, although to be fair you guys still have it better than a lot of the country. Lets all be more humble. :)

And BTW your analogy is dumb as fuck. Oregano and kush. Funny

What was so dumb about it? Oregano is one of many plants that can be used to reconstruct cannabis "terpene profiles" such as Kush. Here's a quote from ProjectCBD.org since you seem to be responding with your emotions while I'm trying to have a scientific discussion.

Beta-caryophyllene, for example, is a sesquiterpene found in the essential oil of black pepper, oregano, and other edible herbs, as well as in various cannabis strains and in many green, leafy vegetables.

NYChuck

@invertedisdead - Cool my brotha. Thanks for the input!

So to move on and get back on topic, Rosin, I have a question. If I wanted to make rosin point me the right way. Reading all this has me spun.

If a guy has say a budget of $300 or less to spend on stuff for a simple beginners rosin press and any things needed to do it what would you buy? Best bang for the buck. Any trusted vendor recommendations? Things to avoid. If somebody with skills in this area wants to sum it up that would be mighty damn helpful to the new people. I have read through a lot of this but 193 pages is way to much to process without getting confused.

@invertedisdeadIf a guy has say a budget of $300 or less to spend on stuff for a simple beginners rosin press and any things needed to do it what would you buy? Best bang for the buck. Any trusted vendor recommendations? Things to avoid. If somebody with skills in this area wants to sum it up that would be mighty damn helpful to the new people. I have read through a lot of this but 193 pages is way to much to process without getting confused.

You'll hear a lot of DabPress replies. They are pretty popular here and their products, price and service can't be beat. I own 2 of their presses. A set of large caged plates and a small all-in-one that I love. Under $400 for everything you need in an all-in-one press. It's a little cheaper (about $250) to buy a Harbor Freight A-frame press and a set of plates but I love the stainless look of my DP-BJ3T33.

Tuck

K. Makes more sense. But I don't think I would call THC liquid really. Fluid when warm?
In science, fluid is interchangeable with liquid. What you are referring to, in science, is called viscosity. Distillate becomes less viscous when warm. My distillate comes in a syringe and has a viscosity of runny honey when it sits in warm water. Like honey, it gets thicker when you get it colder and thinner when you warm it up.

shredder

Hey great info here guys! Question - any other way to clean rosin of waxes n lipids for hassle-free use in mod box tanks other than winterizing it? Someone mentioned filtering it, do these small syringe filters work? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...inge+filter.TRS0&_nkw=syringe+filter&_sacat=0 If so what micron?

One of the best features of rosin is that it's solventless. Why not get a wax attachment for your box mod, and keep your gear free of solvents? Seems a lot easier to me.

shredder,

Old_muel

Yeah got one of those already & do enjoy it but having to reload regularly, having to keep correct orientation while warm to prevent spilling & the non-instant vapour make it far from ideal for out n about/public/stealth use, the e-juice tank method is just unbeatable for that purpose it's so damn convenient it's basically never ending instant vapour on tap, actually quickly becoming favourite all round method - you put a bit more effort in upfront in prep but then you can just kick back & toke on the thing non-stop for like a week- love it!

Last edited:
Old_muel,
Reactions: shredder

mephisto

@Old_muel the syringe filters will work to a degree for filtering the larger bits of your extract. There may be some degradation of your "plastic" filter by your solvent. I have used 2 micron syringe filters to great success, however the threaded lock of the syringe becomes weak from exposure to Ethanol........I gave up on the filters and got better results by going colder on the medium and solvent, and lowering the time that the medium is in contact with the solvent.

Old_muel

Thanks man im a little confused though, you say "solvent", are you talking about making qwet? Or winterizing your rosin? What i want to know is if there's a way to "dewax" rosin to make it clear in an e-cig tank & not be rough on the atomizer- without using any solvent/winterizing. Like mechanically filtering out the waxes n lipids. Not talking about larger bits of particulate. I imagine a centrifuge might do this if filtering can't? Dunno :science:

Old_muel,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You still need to modify the viscosity before centrifuging.... I assume this is what Blue River does to make their rosin free of waxes, fats, lipids, and plant particulate) but they also distill terpenes from the starting material to use in the process... nothing about this would be feasible on the home scale. If you want to use rosin in cartridges your best bet is to start with extremely high quality hash rosin instead of even trying to press buds.

Seriously. If the end goal is carts, pressing flower is going backwards. By hashing first, you reduce the amount of epicuticular plant waxes that are bound to end up in the finished product by pressing leafy plant material.

If it was simple everyone would be doing it.

You could POTENTIALLY do a re-press. separate the terpene fractions and heat that to adjust the viscosity and run it through a filter membrane to pull the waxes but IDK. I just don't have enough resources to experiment with it when I just go buy a pod of rosin from Blue River.

Old_muel

Bingo! Makes complete sense. Thanks heaps that was actually my next question- whether hash rosin contains significantly less waxes/lipids/plant material than flower rosin? Of course it does. Sounds like the way to go then, great answer cheers :D

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Bingo! Makes complete sense. Thanks heaps that was actually my next question- whether hash rosin contains significantly less waxes/lipids/plant material than flower rosin? Of course it does. Sounds like the way to go then, great answer cheers :D

:) Once you have quality hash rosin you can just do jar tech (look up @diet.funk on Instagram) put it in a sealed jar either in an oven at 200F or on a coffee warmer on high and heat it until it turns clear like distillate. If it was really high quality to begin with it will wick in a CCELL cartridge with nothing added. Less terpy rosin may still need a drop of terpenes. This is what the solventless people on Instagram are doing. This still takes some processing by hashing first but I think the finished product will be overall higher quality.

JCat

Accessory Maker
:) Once you have quality hash rosin you can just do jar tech (look up @diet.funk on Instagram) put it in a sealed jar either in an oven at 200F or on a coffee warmer on high and heat it until it turns clear like distillate. If it was really high quality to begin with it will wick in a CCELL cartridge with nothing added. Less terpy rosin may still need a drop of terpenes. This is what the solventless people on Instagram are doing. This still takes some processing by hashing first but I think the finished product will be overall higher quality.
So we're talking about doing what type of hash first? :)

Old_muel

Awesome, so.... If you wanted to make bubble/cold water hash for the sole purpose of turning into rosin for tank use & didn't care about the different grades from the different mesh sizes & just wanted it all in one can you just use one bag, the biggest mesh sized one i guess, instead of a whole set & get satisfactory results?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Awesome, so.... If you wanted to make bubble/cold water hash for the sole purpose of turning into rosin for tank use & didn't care about the different grades from the different mesh sizes & just wanted it all in one can you just use one bag, the biggest mesh sized one i guess, instead of a whole set & get satisfactory results?

That I don't know, I think most of the pros are just using the 6* full melt, so the most pure, highest grade possible. Perhaps some are using the full spectrum of bags but I'm not sure. Making ice hash is a whole other technique to master though, it's just hard to get the economy of scale down at home, most of the pros are using freeze dryers so they have the ability to potentially retain more terpenes in their bubble hash, which helps the cart process.

For that reason @psychonaut and I have talked dry ice sift as a potential alternative. It has the benefit of not needing a drying process like bubble hash.

Overall it's a long road ahead to getting a great rosin pen.

Another idea, potentially for lower grades of hash, and maybe flower if it was really clean, is re-pressing rosin with a THCA separation, and use that sauce portion to add the entourage effect to distillate, with the disty providing the bulk of the cannabinoids in a clean wicking oil.

Dablogic in CO has a rosin pen that is straight rosin sauce from a THCA separation, but they are using extremely high quality hash rosin to start with. I'm not sure if it's being filtered or not.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I'm gonna do some dry ice sift on some trim, 3 different grades and then see if I can do a THC-a isolation on the top grade, hoping whatever sauce comes out of that will be the cleanest when added back in. Im gonna decarb the THC-a isolate so it doesn't bubble up in the tank. I really dont need the pen that much, it's convenient but realistically I only need it when I'm away. So a good gram a month would be sufficient. To try and get all my rosin tank ready is probably not worth the money in product with the cost and cleanliness of raw distillate. Just my thoughts on cost effectiveness.

I figure for some good flower rosin if I can get it to autobudder I would like to isolate that to THC-a then decarb it to try and mimic as closely to a raw distillate as a starting product, then I can source my cannabis terpenes from a 3rd party. I've been happy with about 1 drop per 0.3ml of raw distillate, seems like a cheap path.

Seems the jar tech is one of the best DIY methods for tank meds, I wanna try them all eventually! Have half a dozen liberty v9 tanks here, those have been pretty reliable for me with distillate.

btka

That I don't know, I think most of the pros are just using the 6* full melt, so the most pure, highest grade possible. Perhaps some are using the full spectrum of bags but I'm not sure. Making ice hash is a whole other technique to master though, it's just hard to get the economy of scale down at home, most of the pros are using freeze dryers so they have the ability to potentially retain more terpenes in their bubble hash, which helps the cart process.

For that reason @psychonaut and I have talked dry ice sift as a potential alternative. It has the benefit of not needing a drying process like bubble hash.

Overall it's a long road ahead to getting a great rosin pen.

Another idea, potentially for lower grades of hash, and maybe flower if it was really clean, is re-pressing rosin with a THCA separation, and use that sauce portion to add the entourage effect to distillate, with the disty providing the bulk of the cannabinoids in a clean wicking oil.

Dablogic in CO has a rosin pen that is straight rosin sauce from a THCA separation, but they are using extremely high quality hash rosin to start with. I'm not sure if it's being filtered or not.

what is your opinion regarding this method, would it work to use the final product in a ccell cart. what would you do with the remaining thca crystals...

Solventless THCA Separation - Lowtemp Plates

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
what is your opinion regarding this method, would it work to use the final product in a ccell cart. what would you do with the remaining thca crystals...

Yes it would work, that's what Dab Logic in Colorado does, they use the high terp sauce portion in cartridges. I believe it is filtered somehow but maybe not, they are using extremely high quality starting material so that helps.

The THCA crystals could be dabbed or used elsewhere, potentially they could be melted down, I've honestly not had a chance to try it but I heard it melts into a stable shatter and not actually an oil like distillate.

anasrzi

So let me get this right, using the high end rosin oil, pressed at low temps and pressure you can "clean" it up for use in the carts? Thought it was the THCa we were after for those?

Cool tech either way as I'm so keen to find a way of using rosin in pens but without losing out on terps (ethanol etc) or blocking the cart up with waxes.

anasrzi,
Reactions: btka

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
So let me get this right, using the high end rosin oil, pressed at low temps and pressure you can "clean" it up for use in the carts? Thought it was the THCa we were after for those?

Cool tech either way as I'm so keen to find a way of using rosin in pens but without losing out on terps (ethanol etc) or blocking the cart up with waxes.

This is how Blue River starts all of their extracts, everything is sifted, rosined, and then separated into THCA and sauce, and their products all come from that as the starting point.

here's a little vid from Dablogic and Pure Pressure.

btka

This is how Blue River starts all of their extracts, everything is sifted, rosined, and then separated into THCA and sauce, and their products all come from that as the starting point.

here's a little vid from Dablogic and Pure Pressure.

Ok so how do they do that?

What is the starting product? sifted? (ice water, dry sift?)

Then they press the sifted with a rosin press with low temp and high pressure to seperate the terps?

Then they press the remainig from pressing the terps with higher temps and high pressure? What is the product cold you get then?

and how do they get the thc a?

interessting... or am I completly missunderstanding...

woud be cool if you could get three different products from pressing with different heat and pressure from one starting product (sifted?)...
but how in this process are the lipids and waxes separated which would clogg ccells ca

so theoretical you could make with the right pressure and temp your own ccell carts... with only a rosin press?

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Ok so how do they do that?

What is the starting product? sifted? (ice water, dry sift?)

Then they press the sifted with a rosin press with low temp and high pressure to seperate the terps?

Then they press the remainig from pressing the terps with higher temps and high pressure? What is the product cold you get then?

and how do they get the thc a?

interessting... or am I completly missunderstanding...

woud be cool if you could get three different products from pressing with different heat and pressure from one starting product (sifted?)...
but how in this process are the lipids and waxes separated which would clogg ccells ca

so theoretical you could make with the right pressure and temp your own ccell carts... with only a rosin press?

Blue River does dry sift, Dablogic (in the video above) does bubble hash. I don't think it matters which technique you use as long as the result is high quality hash, the best you can get. This is a key step to making the rosin as clean as possible. The less waxes on the starting material, the less in the finished product.

You first squish hash at low temp into a high quality rosin, that rosin is then collected and re-pressed at lower temp than the initial press, this allows the terpene fraction to separate from the crystalline thca which will not melt at the low re-press temp.

I assume Dablogic is filtering their solventless hash oil by pulling it through a vacuum assisted filter membrane or centrifuge but maybe not. I've seen others on Instagram such as Professorsift use straight 6* live rosin without any type of filtering. My guess is the high terpene content reduces the amount of char that would normally builds up from waxes, especially since they are only .5g cartridges.

Blue River removes all of the fats, waxes, and lipids with a proprietary tek. I wrote about it a page back in this same thread.

IMO incredible hash rosin seems to be the key ingredient to a great rosin cartridge.

NYChuck

Gots me a Dab Press!:rockon:So far having some fun squishing. Things the tits. Thanks for guidance and stuff here guys. Been playing with different budz and the age / quality seems to have lots to do with what im getting out. The stuff I made first was from a old crusty bag I had laying round and didn't like. Rosin from that was just as unlikeable. Taste like butt and had LOTS of wax. Got some pretty resiney nugs and got some nice rosin from that. Big on flavor and good n clean. Have a guy working on getting me some fresh grown and looking forward to doing that this weekend I hope

Hey great info here guys! Question - any other way to clean rosin of waxes n lipids for hassle-free use in mod box tanks other than winterizing it? Someone mentioned filtering it, do these small syringe filters work? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...inge+filter.TRS0&_nkw=syringe+filter&_sacat=0 If so what micron?
Yes filters work but not all work. The filter part inside has to be right material and size. Some of them are so big inside that liquid gets left behind. Enough to piss you off. I do buy the Majic Solutions ones. They said its custom made for them to their specs. Work nice and very small so not much loss. I have had good luck cleaning with warm alcohol after too so I can reuse. Some here hate on thinning your shit but the distillate carts just don't do it for me. I use real vape mods n tanks. For me much more enjoyable. Been using the synergic naked but got some loco last time to try. Love me some headband.

NYChuck,
Top Bottom