Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

OldOyler

Fire it again. I can still find the ground.
Still using the original straightener and c-clamp here also, with no real reason to change that I can see in the near future. I flatten about .5 or so as hard as I can between the tip of my thumb and the second knuckle of my forefinger just before dropping in the parchment and squishing for about 25-30 seconds. I fold my parchment in half then make a fold up the edge that will face my hand when squishing. If I position the bud so it is in the middle of the plates about an inch from the end and clamp on top of it, I seem to get the best results. The doubled up parchment has me curious though, I think I will see what I can do with that on an upcoming squish.
Well..

Got close, because I didn't have the C-clamp yet and tried a pair of meat tongs wrapped in microfiber cloth and my weak-arse arms in a fit of impatience. :rolleyes:

I ended up with very hot, very compressed kief and flower puck, respectively. And each time an outline on the parchment, probably from the stainless steel mesh burning the paper.

I looked up the C-clamp, and okay I'll wear one but I'm not sure how that will help my rosin making...well, except for the intense concentration I suppose...

Okay, done laughing all over myself. My bud who is mechanically inclined FINALLY took an interest in what I am doing, and is bringing c-clamps and some attachments that can apparently help, some table mount stuff, etc. too for me to look through for the future. (Thought maybe that way I could just get some plates to heat until I get a fancy press, but more on that as things progress)

Funny, he has had NO interest in assisting me over the years (eats the resulting edibles and vapes the resulting wax just fine of course...).

Then I used the word "rosin"...

"Rosin?! Did you say ROSIN?! Oh man OldOyler, I got stuff in my garage, and I got some stuff over in storage, and..."

Peace everyone, and will post pics of what I end up with for a setup whenever he swings by this week, as well as the results.

And once again - I'm really, really humbled by all the help.

Last edited:

UnidenWallet

Hi all, I'm just getting into rosin and I don't want to use a hair straightener and a clamp if spending a few bucks can get me a better job done. Can someone recommend what's a good rosin press to buy for personal use? :)

I was looking at the 5"x5" Rosin Press by BestValueVacs for $170... I once bought a vac chamber for them back in the shatter days.. Does anyone know if their rosin press is any good? It's within my budget but I wouldn't mind spending a little less or seeing what else is better.. I'm also reading about the Nugrunner?

Last edited:
UnidenWallet,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

herbivore21

Well..

Got close, because I didn't have the C-clamp yet and tried a pair of meat tongs wrapped in microfiber cloth and my weak-arse arms in a fit of impatience. :rolleyes:

I ended up with very hot, very compressed kief and flower puck, respectively. And each time an outline on the parchment, probably from the stainless steel mesh burning the paper.

I looked up the C-clamp, and okay I'll wear one but I'm not sure how that will help my rosin making...well, except for the intense concentration I suppose...

Okay, done laughing all over myself. My bud who is mechanically inclined FINALLY took an interest in what I am doing, and is bringing c-clamps and some attachments that can apparently help, some table mount stuff, etc. too for me to look through for the future. (Thought maybe that way I could just get some plates to heat until I get a fancy press, but more on that as things progress)

Funny, he has had NO interest in assisting me over the years (eats the resulting edibles and vapes the resulting wax just fine of course...).

Then I used the word "rosin"...

"Rosin?! Did you say ROSIN?! Oh man OldOyler, I got stuff in my garage, and I got some stuff over in storage, and..."

Peace everyone, and will post pics of what I end up with for a setup whenever he swings by this week, as well as the results.

And once again - I'm really, really humbled by all the help.
Great to hear brother, despite your early difficulties I'm sure you're on track to get squishing some good rosin now with clamps etc to bring in some extra force! :D

herbivore21,
Reactions: OldOyler

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
You need these vise grips, and the last 10 posts or so above this give a pretty accurate description of the basic steps needed.

For about the same money, these do a great job as well.

If all you have is the hair iron, try setting it on the floor and carefully put it under your heel and stand on it ;)

Also, if I was going to spend some money, I'd get a beefy vise and some Joel W. plates. I really like the cheap heat source they are designed for, I don't need to double the build cost with PID controllers etc, the solder irons seem to work perfectly and are cheap to replace.

Last edited:

IamBenito

Formerly me2
For about the same money, these do a great job as well.

If all you have is the hair iron, try setting it on the floor and carefully put it under your heel and stand on it ;)

Also, if I was going to spend some money, I'd get a beefy vise and some Joel W. plates. I really like the cheap heat source they are designed for, I don't need to double the build cost with PID controllers etc, the solder irons seem to work perfectly and are cheap to replace.

i fully endorse the heel on the floor method but with a towel folded up under the hair straightener to distributed the force rather than cracking another straightener.

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
So joel is no longer making plates atm .. what are some of the best cheap presses? (im in uk)... thanks folks

VapourHaze,

EpicNameGuy

I use this exact model in a clamp-on vise, and I feel like I get full enough extraction. If I crank down as tight as I can I get oil seeping through the paper on to the heating irons, so it seems like enough for my small personal use..

Just wanted to mention something about the leak through parchment. On my NugRunner that I've described earlier as being worrisome with regard to yields / efficiency, I used to use Reynolds wrap I bought from amazon and never had a leak through.

I ran out of my 3 rolls one day and went to Stop and Shop and purchased a roll of Reynolds, but it was clearly a different type. I believe it is not a quilllon containing type, but it has markings on it for cutting the paper into small portions. Not markings for tearing is but just very light images.

That parchment has been giving me leak throughs every press. Not a lot, but enough. Multiple strains confirmed. I'm confident it's the paper.

Point being, I wouldn't necessarily gauge whether you have enough pressure based on leak through because the paper itself seems to have a lot to do with it in an equal pressure set up. Just figured I'd offer that info if it was of use.

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
Just wanted to mention something about the leak through parchment. On my NugRunner that I've described earlier as being worrisome with regard to yields / efficiency, I used to use Reynolds wrap I bought from amazon and never had a leak through.

I ran out of my 3 rolls one day and went to Stop and Shop and purchased a roll of Reynolds, but it was clearly a different type. I believe it is not a quilllon containing type, but it has markings on it for cutting the paper into small portions. Not markings for tearing is but just very light images.

That parchment has been giving me leak throughs every press. Not a lot, but enough. Multiple strains confirmed. I'm confident it's the paper.

Point being, I wouldn't necessarily gauge whether you have enough pressure based on leak through because the paper itself seems to have a lot to do with it in an equal pressure set up. Just figured I'd offer that info if it was of use.

Haha, I know exactly what stuff you mean, it's marked as New "SmartGrid" technology... Absolute garbage IMO and should be avoided.

lf2823

I was a week late finding this site and Joel W. :( Joel if you decide to start making them again i would love to have a set like this in aluminium.

Sorry to derail the parchment folding tech convo but I just had to share.

They should be here in a few days

@Joel W. went above and beyond my expectations for these new H press jaws. Thank you sir!!

Carry on...:tup:
EF545BED-4EEC-4BA1-AB1B-4B222B80FC68_zpsxyu6g3fa.jpg

killick

But I like it!
@Poostuff I finally went and picked up the perfect straightener, and when el spouso saw it she said 'the hairdresser said I should try one - thanks!' never to be seen again...

Back to the store. But before I do that, and given that this is DIY-oriented, has anyone tried using a couple of clothes irons? If I find a couple of cheapies before I find another hair straightener I'll post in here. Unless it sucks, of course.

OldOyler

Fire it again. I can still find the ground.
@Poostuff I finally went and picked up the perfect straightener, and when el spouso saw it she said 'the hairdresser said I should try one - thanks!' never to be seen again...

Back to the store. But before I do that, and given that this is DIY-oriented, has anyone tried using a couple of clothes irons? If I find a couple of cheapies before I find another hair straightener I'll post in here. Unless it sucks, of course.
Yeah, luckily a rosin press sales guy has me on his schedule for the new year...my wife saw me preparing to stand on it and freaked. Um, what part of "It's okay if I destroy it, right?" were you agreeing to before...

Nothing left to squish right now anyway (all grey market concentrates for the next 2 weeks). Aw shucks...

Peace all!

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH

You'll need to figure out how to rig them for the pressure needed to squish the oil out. That and temperatures... and they have a lot of surface area meaning even if you do get the oil to squish out it will be exposed to the heat until it can run off far enough to get away from the metal.

killick

But I like it!
I've been thinking about that... letting the irons set at temp for a few minutes and 'map' them with a infrared thermometer. I'm guessing they are heating from one spot in the middle, and if you can get the edge of the iron to the right temp thats where you put the herb pack. For pressure you could still use vice grip clamps. And now that I type that up it sounds awkward... Maybe the heaters inside the iron could be rigged onto something that can be clamped with vice grips? I'm obviously typing while I think here, and I have MiniVAP on red and stuffed with Kosher Kush, so apologies for rambling on. (he types, while continuing to ramble...)

So I'm looking at a High Five rosin press. It's basically an arbor press with controllers and plates, and also an enail can connect in. It looks like a decent price for someone else doing the putting togethering, plus the enail will be handy. I did some searching in FC but didn't see anything. Has anyone experienced the thing in the wild?

You'll need to figure out how to rig them for the pressure needed to squish the oil out. That and temperatures... and they have a lot of surface area meaning even if you do get the oil to squish out it will be exposed to the heat until it can run off far enough to get away from the metal.

Morty

Been awhile since I've been to this thread. It was this thread that introduced me to FC. So much useful info here guys & gals. @herbivore21 Are you still using Oil Slick Wrap for rosin (if your still squishing) & do you still recommend it for general concentrate storage ? I remember reading some of your early posts here talking about some of the dangers of using certain parchment. Thanks. Bubble it up!

Morty,
Reactions: OldOyler

herbivore21

Been awhile since I've been to this thread. It was this thread that introduced me to FC. So much useful info here guys & gals. @herbivore21 Are you still using Oil Slick Wrap for rosin (if your still squishing) & do you still recommend it for general concentrate storage ? I remember reading some of your early posts here talking about some of the dangers of using certain parchment. Thanks. Bubble it up!
Sure do man. I very rarely squish these days but when I do it is slick wrap. Still use it for general storage in sealed mason jars but never in a non-sealed container. I don't like leaving any of my cannabis or resin exposed to oxygen - everything is airtight with absorbers.

I do not use any other kind of standard parchment and stopped doing so a long time ago. One of the key aspects of making rosin is you need to be able to see the state of the parchment very clearly. White slick wrap on a foil backing makes and damage from the press very clear for the rosin-maker to notice. It is so important not to get bits of parchment into your meds.

If anything you have is still too wet, do not let it contact parchment. I find water really fucks up some parchments (even slick wrap) and leaves them able to peel off on your material.

Morty

It is so important not to get bits of parchment into your meds.
Amen to that! Had a bad experience w/ some oily rosin & some Reynolds parchment. No thanks. Ordering some slick wrap tonight & got the mason jars covered. Appreciate all the knowledge. :peace:

darkrom

Great Scott!
I've never had any issues with getting parchment into the meds. Is it a side effect of the heat, or the pressure? Is it "melting" the parchment? That seems impossible given the temps, so is it a friction/scraping/pressure thing? Basically I'm asking for an example of whats happening that this is possible. I've never seen it is all.

poonman

I've never had any issues with getting parchment into the meds. Is it a side effect of the heat, or the pressure? Is it "melting" the parchment? That seems impossible given the temps, so is it a friction/scraping/pressure thing? Basically I'm asking for an example of whats happening that this is possible. I've never seen it is all.

1st off ,
Thank you for starting this Freakin Awesome thread !!!

I think it could be the brand of parchment paper .
Along with heat and pressure as a factor .
In the beginning , I was using a brand that left stains
on the iron .( quillon ? ) Now I use a generic brand , double sheets .
No problems .

Edit ;
Glad I kept it short , @herbivore21 explains it much better ...

herbivore21

Delamination/surface damage of the parchment typically happens when water and/or much higher levels of pressure are used (vise/h-press levels of pressure - not manual pressure nor most clamps!) IME. We are not talking about melting of the parchment. We are talking about small (sometimes invisible to the naked eye) tears, delamination of the outer layer (where relevant) etc. Depending on your fold tek, there can be more stress on the parchment in this regard when squishing. More folds and squishing those folds in certain ways can cause damage to the parchment because of additional stress on the folds.

Some flowers have structures that are more rough on the parchment during the press too - leading to a similar stress on fold type thing happening. I find very dense varieties can be a problem here more than the fluffy, airy ones.

It is not that these conditions will always lead to damage to the parchment - but it does more often than you'd think. You guys know I have access to high magnification optics here and one thing I have noticed is that traditional parchments (Raw, Reynolds etc) have a texture/appearance that makes minor surface damage difficult to see - this is much more visible at 300x though. This same appearance factor also leaves residue from the parchment (especially that unbleached brown raw stuff) in your pucks difficult to spot too - this varies depending on the material you're using.

Even Slick Wrap can occasionally have the above problems - but I find it to be tougher for these purposes.

Hopefully these examples make things a bit clearer - obviously we aren't looking at melting so much as the issue here but more stress on parts of the parchment from folding/the nug itself etc.

What I really want to see is a design for a rosin press that abandons the use of parchment altogether. I have a few ideas but alas, I am no manufacturer.

Last edited:

killick

But I like it!
Hhmmm... some sort of delrin plate cover? Capable of withstanding heat, makes me wonder how it would do under pressure? Delrin 3-sides sealed envelope, stuff with bubble, and heat away?

Can it really be that simple? Or am I overstimulated and coming down off a caffeinated day?

killick,
Reactions: Morty
Been awhile..

Anyone have any opinions on bovida & using it for you nugs that you squish? I've seen too many both sided opinions online about it to understand. I've used them myself & sometimes for more dense pieces it'll give more yield, but when it's fluffy usually none to little, though when I let them go without the packs they almost always give a good yield. Someone was saying the packs also might have an effect on the terpenes. Just wondered what the FC community thought about it.

Top Bottom