Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

herbivore21

Been awhile..

Anyone have any opinions on bovida & using it for you nugs that you squish? I've seen too many both sided opinions online about it to understand. I've used them myself & sometimes for more dense pieces it'll give more yield, but when it's fluffy usually none to little, though when I let them go without the packs they almost always give a good yield. Someone was saying the packs also might have an effect on the terpenes. Just wondered what the FC community thought about it.
Boveda packs are important IMO. I am of the view that all nugs after harvest, should be dried for 10-14 days until crisp and then put into airtight containers in a cool dark place with either 58% or 62% boveda packs for curing. It is best to cure in this way for a month or more (I find 3 months is better!) before processing the material - this applies whether you are extracting or you are vaping the flower itself.

I know everyone in the solvent scene is big on live resin (hell there was even that live rosin thing where they squished a live plant lol) from material that hasn't even been dried after harvest. I also found live resin much tastier than non live-resin QWISO/BHO from the same material in my solvent days; but there is a noticeable extra harshness in the vapor too from all of those extra airway-irritating monoterpenes, which are present in much greater quantities because of the live plant extraction preventing their boiling away during drying).

I do not use solvent extractions anymore but having used solventless methods on fresh-frozen material as well as fresh but dried, or dried and cured flowers, I find that dried and cured flowers always end up in the best extract.

On a related note, it is important to highlight that we do not necessarily lose as much total terpene/terpenoid content as we think when we subject monoterpenes to oxidation during the cure - some monoterpenes oxidize into sesquiterpenes! :D An added benefit is that some of these sesquiterpenes do not carry known health risks like their precursors :) A cure for your health indeed (although curing can decline into mold if you do not control and monitor conditions properly)!

Ok, I digressed a little there. Back to the main question:

I agree when it comes to squishing that denser nugs benefit more from using humidity packs. It also depends on your conditions and the resin content in your material. I find flowers with very little resin content often do not squish anything if they are not first stored with humidity packs. More resinous flowers will squish either way but regardless should be stored with humidity packs for the curing purposes mentioned above - also the fact that if you don't use humidity packs, your material could get too dry and lose terpenes in storage!

If you are going to have a given batch of flowers for more than a week or so (whatever the use), I suggest boveda packs. Please do not jar up flowers that have not been properly dried, with or without boveda packs!

Remember this golden rule for when to put flowers into a jar with boveda packs: If the flowers aren't crisp, you're risking moldy wisps!

I hope this post was eventually helpful lol

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
Been awhile..

Anyone have any opinions on bovida & using it for you nugs that you squish? I've seen too many both sided opinions online about it to understand. I've used them myself & sometimes for more dense pieces it'll give more yield, but when it's fluffy usually none to little, though when I let them go without the packs they almost always give a good yield. Someone was saying the packs also might have an effect on the terpenes. Just wondered what the FC community thought about it.
IME Boveda packs do mess with terpenes and can leave your rosin tasting flat. If you're growing your own, a slow dry/cure ending around 62% humidity seems to land the tastiest rosin with the nicest flow. Check out CannabisGuru's post here (the second post) on curing for a description of how buds should be cured for the highest terp retention. If you're not curing your own then Boveda's probably necessary since it's helping your yield. You'd probably benefit from a simple pre-press as well. Just a piece of pvc and a dowel rod that fits inside of it or something similar to press all those fluffy buds together into one dense mass, then press that.

:peace:

OldOyler

Fire it again. I can still find the ground.
Been awhile..

Peace all!

Just my :2c:.

Boveda 62s are for longer-term storage of bud. It does not "steady" the humidity (i.e. - moisture), or bring it down, there is no dessicant, it will keep it "up" at 62 with a certain amount of play (around 50%rh as a low).

So, like this would be disastrous for instance during a cure. So definitely not with anything fresh-ish. If you are talking about starting with dried but "pre-cured" material (staying away from the gee-word here), then I would say no way.

Bacteria needs to eat some stuff up in the buds, and that requires moisture. Usually, during days 3-14 or so of curing, the humidity (per a Caliber IV or whatever hygrometer in the jar) is constantly spiking and falling between the "too high" 65-70%rh, and the jars usually need to be opened several times a day (as soon as the slightest whiff of ammonia occurs - that's the bacteria outpacing the processing of material, air kills a lot of them so you pop the top for a few minutes several times per day).

I bring all that up to say this - I know when the cure is done because the humidity suddenly just "settles itself down" and smooths out to below 60%, usually spot on 56-58. So a Boveda that is trying to keep the humidty up to 62...

I agree that the best cure yields the best trichomes (@herbivore21 and others have finally gotten that to sink in), and so I wanted to give my "Using Bovedas during *cure* (specifically) for flowers that will be used for concentrates" answer.

It would be a no. Let the natural processes manage the cure (the turning or "rolling" of the material inside the heads for instance, etc etc)

Imo Bovedas are for steadying out jars of flower for longer term storage than say 3 months and have no place anywhere near those flowers before then.

Peace and good things, and hope that didn't rub anyone the wrong way, I try to be super cool with any and all opinions. But I realized that I would have wanted to hear it. So peace and more peace!

:tup:

matthend

ok i have a wierd one. I just squished a small amount of some gsc that smells and tastes great as flower, but the rosin tastes 100% like burnt popcorn! :puke: It still smells good, but the taste will make you gag. Some quick googling points to too high of a temp, but I did everything just as i normally do, and this was 4 separate presses. Hell, the straightener only goes to 370 max, which could burn one squish i guess. I just dont see me doing the same thing wrong four times as it would require me to omit half of the four step process i have. Has anyone had any similar experience with rosin?

matthend,

GSR

That temp is pretty high bro! People vape at 370. I could be wrong, but Im pretty sure youre roasting most of the terpenes at that point.

GSR,

matthend

I should clarify. I dont squish at 370. I heat the iron to 310(lowest setting), then turn it off while i pre press the flower and fold my parchment. I have been using this method for a few years without issue till now. I was thinking if I somehow didnt turn the straightener down to 310, then didnt turn it off either, that would be the perfect storm. I just dont see a possibility of me doing it four separate times. Very strange IMO...

matthend,
Reactions: OldOyler

subway13029

I've been thinking about that... letting the irons set at temp for a few minutes and 'map' them with a infrared thermometer. I'm guessing they are heating from one spot in the middle, and if you can get the edge of the iron to the right temp thats where you put the herb pack. For pressure you could still use vice grip clamps. And now that I type that up it sounds awkward... Maybe the heaters inside the iron could be rigged onto something that can be clamped with vice grips? I'm obviously typing while I think here, and I have MiniVAP on red and stuffed with Kosher Kush, so apologies for rambling on. (he types, while continuing to ramble...)

So I'm looking at a High Five rosin press. It's basically an arbor press with controllers and plates, and also an enail can connect in. It looks like a decent price for someone else doing the putting togethering, plus the enail will be handy. I did some searching in FC but didn't see anything. Has anyone experienced the thing in the wild?
A guy on YouTube who goes by the name straincentral did a review on it and said it was a good product..just go to YouTube and check it out..

subway13029,
Reactions: killick

MileHighLife

So Rosin Evolution has released pre-press molds in various sizes to fit their screen bags and I decided to order one. So far I'm really liking it but have only done 2 squishes with it.

This first squish was just 8.5 grams to get the hang of it but I think the bags will hold at least a half ounce.
2ilhsau.jpg

20a3uyf.jpg

2i92qg8.jpg

So much better than a piece of pvc pipe and a dowel rod and this is my first time using screens while squishing flower with success. Really digging it all ... now time to test the goods

:peace:

tepictoton

Anybody has an alternative source for the nylon pouches? I am based in Europe and shipping plus importation tax would make them almost 3 times as expansive ...

Also, tried ss screens and nylon bags from tea, but everything seems to rip apart...Would the trick be to pre-press everything to the fullest without heat?

With hash and ss screens from 316twholesale it has been working great, but flowers always seem to rip everything apart...

here is my press...It has individually heated plates and 20T of pressure. The plates are 15 by 20 centimeters, about 4 by 5 inches more or less

wj6ipu.jpg

MileHighLife

Anybody has an alternative source for the nylon pouches? I am based in Europe and shipping plus importation tax would make them almost 3 times as expansive ...

Also, tried ss screens and nylon bags from tea, but everything seems to rip apart...Would the trick be to pre-press everything to the fullest without heat?

With hash and ss screens from 316twholesale it has been working great, but flowers always seem to rip everything apart...

here is my press...It has individually heated plates and 20T of pressure. The plates are 15 by 20 centimeters, about 4 by 5 inches more or less

wj6ipu.jpg
I don't know if you'd have the same issue with New Vape but they also have pre-presses available and a couple different size bag options (with nice reviews) that seem like they'd fit your plate footprint a little better than the Rosin Evolution bags.

MileHighLife,
Reactions: tepictoton

THE GHOST

Into the vapor

wj6ipu.jpg

What plates are you using? Thanks!

THE GHOST,

tepictoton

Plates I am using are home made from aluminium. Heated with a heater cartridge normally used to heat 3d printer beds.

Found the nylon in a laboratory, but they are charging over 100euros per square meter....

NotcigsBuzz

Accessory Maker
Plates I am using are home made from aluminium. Heated with a heater cartridge normally used to heat 3d printer beds.

Found the nylon in a laboratory, but they are charging over 100euros per square meter....
Get silk screen mesh , cheap and very available

NotcigsBuzz,

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
Hi everyone,
living in a non legal state I need to make my own concentrates so when I have an itch to scratch I just squeeze a nug or two with an hair straightener and I'm good to go. Growing my own weed I also have some trim from time to time and I always used to make QWET from it but would prefer to avoid having to deal with alcohol, stove, pans and so on, so I plan to squeeze my next run of trim and I was thinking about buying a pollen press to make trim pucks to make pressing easier. What do you think? Should I freeze the pucks before pressing them? Will they stay together once pressed or is it going to end in a mess?
Thank you guys.

The Beagle,

Caelar900

Good, yes but that guy right there isn't going to put out quite as much PSI as your probably going to want. Your looking for around 3000-6000 PSI for best results possible, that's why most of us build our own out of 12-20 ton shop presses. Basically your looking for the best set of plates to attach to one of these shop presses sold by people like Harbor Freight or Dake I recommend the NewVape errlpress plates personally. Hope this can help and good luck! Let us know if you have any other questions and I'm sure someone will be happy to help you out.

Elbuort19

I'd appreciate it if someone would please point me to some good build posts? Now before I get overwhelmed with comments to do a google search please understand I'm a medical user so with the shit load of meds they had/have me on I can barely read/comprehend the post above in under 20min. I think it took me 25 or 45 minutes to change a garbage bag or something retarded like that and then oh yeah 4 months to order a belt. lol WTF! BTW that wasn't procrastination, I was online everyday looking at belts but I get so easily overwhelmed now I get frustrated and say fuck this!...and that's on a good day. lol Anyway please bare with me because I need some hand holding. Beyond a hair straightener and a bench vice I have no experience with presses so any advice you guys have is more than welcome.

Budget...the Govt doesn't keep broken equipment so I'm looking at a medical termination sometime in the next year. As a result my budget is only $500ish and this press will have to be two presses in one, my first & last...lol, I'd like to get the best I can for my money because I'll be stuck with it for a longtime. Due to medical issues I'm unable to do much physically without pain so I'd like to be able to just push a button or something along those lines to operate the press. I'd also like a small form factor so it doesn't jump out at you when you enter the room. I have small kids and while some don't agree with me I keep my medicinal cannabis use from them so the more obscure the better. I need to move on this soon because once there's no paycheck coming in I won't be able to justify buying a press instead food. Thanks!

Elbuort19,
Reactions: killick

herbivore21

Has anyone used the larger newvape press plates with a hydraulic press? Which press did you use and did you find it successful? I've heard the harborfreight presses are shit. Anyone want to chime in on that?

What are the Dake and Baileigh presses like? I am confident that 10 tons will be enough to get me the same psi I seem to need to squish flowers with my vise rig relative to the size of squish I'm doing, but I want something that will stand the test of time!

herbivore21,

webnomad

Anybody watch hash church yesterday (or a replay)? They went in depth with rosin tech. A lot of footage of them using rosin on hash and even dry sift to improve the quality. They are using a 25µ screen in between the parchment and the hash/nug. Much lower temps on the hash as well. They are using the lowest setting on the iron and not much pressure (on hash/keif).

This Rosin thread, and especially the post above introducing Hash Chruch, has affected my life in a measurable way.... I am very grateful.

webnomad,
Reactions: poonman

herbivore21

...been squishing with the high five model press...really enjoying my experience as I'm still doodling around with temps...so far I enjoy 205 degrees with 45 second pressure....cheers everyone .
How much pressure you using brother? You got a gauge on your press? IIRC if it is the newvape one then you should have a gauge :)

How much is the maximum of flower you can squish at a time for a good return?

herbivore21,
Reactions: turk

turk

turk
...hey I squish about a gram..gram and a quarter...I have no gauge...check out high five rosin press..
...manual says don't do crazy things to add pressure...so just my strength...:)
...I do a pre-press with a herbal press I got on amazon...makes a huggge difference man...

turk,
Top Bottom