1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Room for another Log Vape Maker (in Aus)?

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by Kamikaze Viking, Sep 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Krahl

Krahl Well-Known Member

Thanks :peace: can't wait to see what you have been working on

Vapor_Eyes likes this.
  2. Kamikaze Viking

Kamikaze Viking Aspiring Log Vape Craftsman (AU)

Finally make a breakthrough on my bottleneck and have completed making my own stainless steel part (bought tools and learned how instead of paying an engineer to machine them for me).

Now I can complete my 6 prototypes and begin testing.

Oh yeah, feels good to make progress even if its slow (because Im trying to create repeatable processes for the future).

ambertrichome, jimt0r, Krahl and 5 others like this.
  3. Krahl

Krahl Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Let us know how the prototypes work out

ambertrichome and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  4. travs

travs Member

Watching this thread with interest. Hope the project is still going!

Vapor_Eyes, Krahl and ambertrichome like this.
  5. Kamikaze Viking

Oh yeah i'm still going!!!

But I'm paused temporarily trying to clear out a few other woodworking projects to make some money to buy a large batch of cartridge heaters and various accessory bits I'll need to make each Log kit (eg glass stems, GonG's, copper cups, power bricks, dimmers etc).

End grain cutting boards, Bowls, bottle stopper & a stand for my neighbors CFX [​IMG]

Most recently i designed a nice jig to help me mount the heater into the custom Gland Bolts I've made and then solder them in place so that everything sits parallel in the tubes. The whole idea that once I start doing things in earnest i have processes and jigs that make things repeatable and easy.

I've also been working on different methods to make the upright stem tube and the air holes so that I can test different airflow and its effect on performance (eg more or less airflow. fast heat transfer, risk burn off vs slower heat transfer, no burn but much larger lung capacity required). With the idea that i can provide different heater stems for different preferences.

And I've been collecting wood like crazy, mostly people donating it. Lots of local trees cuttings (some i still need to identify), LOTS of REDGUM and some Victorian Ash and a fancy chunk of Blackwood that a friend got for me from a lumberyard.
    [​IMG]

Sorry if I'm taking a while, but learning to come to terms with ADHD is fun.

If you guys post a bit to poke me and show your interest it'll motivate me to get much more done on this project.

Now i should stop reading the internet and go Sand and finish these cutting boards for $.
    [​IMG]

Thanks ALL!

Oh and here is that Special Log I teased about a while back.
    [​IMG]
    But I wanted a better picture.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Papa Woody, asdf420, Summer and 7 others like this.
  6. travs

travs Member

Looking good! Excited that you're still plugging away. Sounds like you've got a plan. If you score a piece of wormy chestnut, I'd be all over that.

Vapor_Eyes, Gray Area, Krahl and 2 others like this.
  7. Gray Area

Gray Area Well-Known Member

That castle turret log is fantastic :nod:

Summer, Vapor_Eyes, Krahl and 2 others like this.
  8. Krahl

Krahl Well-Known Member

Your work looks amazing. You should be very pleased with how it's coming along

Vapor_Eyes and Gray Area like this.
  9. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

Looks good so far mate. Good luck

Vapor_Eyes and Krahl like this.
  10. Kamikaze Viking

I need to remember to update this more often.

Last week I built myself this rig to allow me to cut the 316 stainless heater tubes accurately and regularly at a consistent angle. If I get my setup right i should be able to put the drill press on one side of the vice, this rig mini cut off saw on the right. and then be able to make multiple tubes and tap the threads all in a easy process. And even different style air intake holes.
    [​IMG]

I realised after seeing Ed's TNT heater cores that I need to make sure these are the highest quality i can possibly make.

And then my new 1/2" Fingernail profile Bowl Gouge arrived yesterday. I cant wait to finish my current non-Vape project (dice towers for my nerds) and get back to this. I have so much nice wood arriving to make these from.
    [​IMG]

11. travs

travs Member

Eagerly awaiting your first units!

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors