1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Room for another Log Vape Maker (in Aus)?

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by Kamikaze Viking, Sep 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Krahl

Krahl Well-Known Member

Thanks :peace: can't wait to see what you have been working on

Vapor_Eyes likes this.
  2. Kamikaze Viking

Kamikaze Viking Aspiring Log Vape Craftsman (AU)

Finally make a breakthrough on my bottleneck and have completed making my own stainless steel part (bought tools and learned how instead of paying an engineer to machine them for me).

Now I can complete my 6 prototypes and begin testing.

Oh yeah, feels good to make progress even if its slow (because Im trying to create repeatable processes for the future).

3. Krahl

Krahl Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Let us know how the prototypes work out

ambertrichome and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  4. travs

travs Member

Watching this thread with interest. Hope the project is still going!

Vapor_Eyes, Krahl and ambertrichome like this.
  5. Kamikaze Viking

Oh yeah i'm still going!!!

But I'm paused temporarily trying to clear out a few other woodworking projects to make some money to buy a large batch of cartridge heaters and various accessory bits I'll need to make each Log kit (eg glass stems, GonG's, copper cups, power bricks, dimmers etc).

End grain cutting boards, Bowls, bottle stopper & a stand for my neighbors CFX [​IMG]

Most recently i designed a nice jig to help me mount the heater into the custom Gland Bolts I've made and then solder them in place so that everything sits parallel in the tubes. The whole idea that once I start doing things in earnest i have processes and jigs that make things repeatable and easy.

I've also been working on different methods to make the upright stem tube and the air holes so that I can test different airflow and its effect on performance (eg more or less airflow. fast heat transfer, risk burn off vs slower heat transfer, no burn but much larger lung capacity required). With the idea that i can provide different heater stems for different preferences.

And I've been collecting wood like crazy, mostly people donating it. Lots of local trees cuttings (some i still need to identify), LOTS of REDGUM and some Victorian Ash and a fancy chunk of Blackwood that a friend got for me from a lumberyard.
    [​IMG]

Sorry if I'm taking a while, but learning to come to terms with ADHD is fun.

If you guys post a bit to poke me and show your interest it'll motivate me to get much more done on this project.

Now i should stop reading the internet and go Sand and finish these cutting boards for $.
    [​IMG]

Thanks ALL!

Oh and here is that Special Log I teased about a while back.
    [​IMG]
    But I wanted a better picture.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  6. travs

travs Member

Looking good! Excited that you're still plugging away. Sounds like you've got a plan. If you score a piece of wormy chestnut, I'd be all over that.

7. Gray Area

Gray Area Well-Known Member

That castle turret log is fantastic :nod:

8. Krahl

Krahl Well-Known Member

Your work looks amazing. You should be very pleased with how it's coming along

9. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

Looks good so far mate. Good luck

ambertrichome, Vapor_Eyes and Krahl like this.
  10. Kamikaze Viking

I need to remember to update this more often.

Last week I built myself this rig to allow me to cut the 316 stainless heater tubes accurately and regularly at a consistent angle. If I get my setup right i should be able to put the drill press on one side of the vice, this rig mini cut off saw on the right. and then be able to make multiple tubes and tap the threads all in a easy process. And even different style air intake holes.
    [​IMG]

I realised after seeing Ed's TNT heater cores that I need to make sure these are the highest quality i can possibly make.

And then my new 1/2" Fingernail profile Bowl Gouge arrived yesterday. I cant wait to finish my current non-Vape project (dice towers for my nerds) and get back to this. I have so much nice wood arriving to make these from.
    [​IMG]

11. travs

travs Member

Eagerly awaiting your first units!

12. jimt0r

jimt0r Active Member

nice one bro

13. Kamikaze Viking

Cheers for the bump jimt0r.

remind me to update things.

I've finally got a proper workshop setup and am working on the basics of setting up a woodworking business.

On the technical side of things I had some decent success on my methods of getting things all in the heater core assembled solidly. But its not perfect. I looked at soldering the heater in place, but then i researched and found out that trying to solder/weld 316 to inconel is near impossible and even then it required nasty chemicals, so that's out. And I started working up another idea to refine the mechanical connection.

But that said. I did get things back out of the box and bring them back to assemble and start testing even if its not perfect.

And of course local laws haven't caught up yet, despite lots of political talk in the media and supporting big business with large medical grows, I'm still not allowed to sell any 'smoking paraphernalia'. Time to get some legal advice since there are clearly some shops that found loopholes to sell their 'water pourers'

14. Slagzord

Slagzord Don't fuckle with shuckle

"Aromatherapy device" ;) really push the flower power of your log vape tower when dealing with Upside Down Canada's authorities.

15. hoptimum

hoptimum Well-Known Member

Are there any laws prohibiting aromatherapy devices in Aus?

16. lazylathe

lazylathe Almost there...

@Kamikaze Viking

Awesome work and interesting posts!
    There are never enough log makers as each log offers something unique, whether it be performance or looks!

The lathe is a lot of fun!
    When you get really comfortable, buy yourself a skew!
    Dangerous but once mastered it is a beast of a lathe tool!

Looking forward to the next update and hopefully some testing news and maybe a video??

Kamikaze Viking likes this.
  17. Kamikaze Viking

Skew Chisel you say?!?!

I was showing my friend around the lathe a while back and giving him a turn on each type of chisel or carbide. Then we got to the skew, showing him how to make V cuts and plane and rounds etc. Later i was looking at the practice piece we'd made and I saw something...

A few hours later it became these candlesticks. [​IMG]

Ok so they arent logs, but they're kinda the right size and shape.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors