Room for another Log Vape Maker (in Aus)?

Kamikaze Viking

Aspiring Log Vape Craftsman (AU)
I've been doing soo many other things trying to make a living i need do prep to be ready to go into production and pay the bills and eat in between.

I've been using the prototype every day for months with no issues, Not using a temp control and I've had only 2 burn offs on a very hot day. Have often left it on overnight by accident without issue or burning down the house.

I did nail down a glass supplier and got me some nice 12cm long thick glass tubing that fits nicely.
I've been practicing various lathe techniques while doing other jobs that will make turning out WPA's and Wooden stems pretty fast.

I'm trying to get funding for a shed.. and by the time that's done then i should have confirmation from legal about 'dry herb vaporisers' in local law. If you know of anyone familiar with the relevant South Australian Law who can help me with some advice it would speed things along. PM ME.

I guess as this point i should ask People to PM me Expressions of interest.

So i can start a list of what to make and justify a loan towards parts.
Tell me what you would want from the below selection.

Core Part 1) Dry herb Vaporiser & heater log with Aromatherapy oil cup & sample herb (eg lavender).

Optional part 2) Power supply DC 12V 1A (if you supply your own, you need to advise if using 2.1mm or 2.3mm connector)

Optional part 3) Extraction tube, Glass or Wood. Long or short. how many of each?

Optional part 4) Wooden WPA 14mm , 19mm, 14+19mm.

Optional part 5) In-line 12-14v DC Dimmer dial - aka temperature control.

The whole Kit. with 1 glass tube, 1 wood tube, 1 wpa.

Price Ive always wanted to aim for was comparable to the other logs once you convert to $AU and then add the international shipping.

Preferred wood if available (or just suggestions) Remember its Australia.
I have things like Bluegum, Redgum (old railway sleepers, some burl and some curly), Victorian Ash, Oregon Pine (aka Douglas fir), Jarrah, Walnut, Oak, Red Oak? and Papua New Ginea Pine.
I'll need to work out what a multiplier on the fancier woods should be (any suggestions i can take from the others)

--------------
Cheers
Kamikaze Viking Out.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I would stick to the 2.1x5.5mm plugs then people could use your log with existing power supplies like this one that I use and recommend for the WoodScents and UnderDog logs,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/48W-2A-3-2...h=item21483cced8:g:cU0AAOSwgKRbo3d-:rk:1:pf:0
s-l200-jpg.5336

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: LesPlenty

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Ah... another DIY logmaker :clap:
Guess, it's high time we form a club or so :D

@Kamikaze Viking

Wish I'd come about your thread here earlier on when I started to build me own loggies, as like in Australia, the only thing log vapes shine in on the European market, is in their utter absence :p

Really love the woodwork :nod: Dabbler that I am, and in want of a lathe (and even more importantly, the skills to use one properly), I resorted to using handrails for me log bodies (at least they're available in a variety of woods and diameters), which I cut and then bore with an old drill press, which also works out reasonable well, but is still a far cry from the possibilities and flexibility your lathe allows :)

Which of the cartridge heaters you mentioned initially did you finally settle on, if I may ask? The 10w cartridge, I'd guess?
My own core design, of which I have two, is mostly inspired by Alan's HI/Heat Island log and the UD's Air-Core for my standard core, and by the old Purple Days, RockZap and of course the UD's MK2 core for my high mass core.
Both can be powered by either the classic Ohmite 20ohm resistor or a RepRap 24v/30w/19ohm heater cartridge (similar to the ones you use), which puts out a convenient ~7w with only 12v applied. The cartridge being 24v, allows also for some 'reserve' if even higher temps are desired for use with oil/concentrates or whatnot, by simply adding a 15v power supply and an inline dimmer/buck/vvps.

Keep up the good work... and hoping to see more :) :rockon:

blokenoname,

Kamikaze Viking

Aspiring Log Vape Craftsman (AU)
@LesPlenty OOH Thankyou for the link to that power variable supply. I havent been able to find anything like that. Now I hope i can get one with Australian plugs on it.

and yeah the 2.1mm connector seems to be the common option.

@Abysmal Vapor Thankyou my philosophy is to make something practical and then make it look amazing.

@blokenoname Soon we'll have log makers on each continent. and yeah 7W cartridge heaters mostly but i grabbed a couple of 12W ones to test with. I was assembling them last night and testing the range of heat on the 12 using a thermocouple and in line dimmer. It went all the way up to 300C. so i marked in on the dimmer dial a top and bottom mark for 210-250 with a 230 'sweet spot'.

Ive been so busy with all my other work trying to start a woodworking business, and finally had time to put a day or 2 aside to finish things. so yesterday I got most of my final assembly done on 4 logs for friends (thanks Jimt0r for hassling me).

But the highlight of the day yesterday was having Ed from @Ed's TnT contact me on Instagram and have a nice long chat after I made a simple comment on one of his posts. That was freaking inspiring and has filled up my motivation bar enough to keep me going for a few weeks.

And then I come here and find lots of new responses, I'm stoked to finish these off and I'll post pics when I have the kits assembled. Next up this morning finish plugging the bases and gluing on the leather bases (with high temp silicone, keeping everything food safe) and then TESTING since jimt0r has just walked in the door to help out.

Oh and I finally found a good local Glass supplier for thick walled tubing at the right size after a friend broke my UD glass, which prompted me to go on the hunt again. Sometimes misfortune leads to progress!

Cheers all.
Kamikaze Viking.

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
But the highlight of the day yesterday was having Ed from @Ed's TnT contact me on Instagram and have a nice long chat after I made a simple comment on one of his posts. That was freaking inspiring and has filled up my motivation bar enough to keep me going for a few weeks.

Hey hey, I really enjoyed our chat there as well bro and so excited for you to get this going, there is more than enough room for another log maker in this world. I am eager to see log vapes go mainstream and the more of us that do em the more the word gets out! Bro I am always here for you, hit me up anytime.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@Kamikaze Viking
Have you separated the airpath from the cables in your concept,is the DC jack also in the airpath?If yes do you mind showing us how you did it ?From the looks it seems that the insulated cables lie passively in the airpath ? Marking degress on a dial is useful to some extend but envinronmental temperature changes in course of the day,month ,year .So one will have to make tiny adjustmest every now and then

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: LesPlenty

jimt0r

Been using the left vape as my daily driver for the best part of 2 years through all sorts of weather (5c-45c) and has not missed a beat, the cables are no where near the airpath and adjusting the temp of the vape is the users responsibility during seasonal variance

PS if ya wanna see inside one, BUY one of these quaility devices

jimt0r,
Top Bottom