• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Room for another Log Vape Maker (in Aus)?

Kamikaze Viking

Aspiring Log Vape Craftsman (AU)
Hi,

Been lurking for a while and doing a lot of reading around here.
I'm an IT guy who's just sick of it, and trying to get something going on the side.
Living in Australia and all the recent announcements of things slowly becoming legal soon I'm curious if there is room in the Australian market for locally made logs?

And if so.

Then I guess its time to start ordering heaters and build my prototype.

Based on what i've read about the Underdog and others I think i need a Cartridge heater with the following properties (or close to it, and then I adjust my design around it)
12V @0.6A
20Ohm
~35W
I know that the original logs used a ceramic ohmite 25j20re resistors as from this thread http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/log-vape-resistors-my-diy-log-vape.10880/
Can anyone please confirm this for me, then I'll get started (I've already started collecting tools, stainless steel tubing, and some nice old wood.)

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
The market is rather different in Oz compared to the rest of the world. Such a small population combined with high shipping costs (local & international) would make the product rather niche & I doubt there be enough demand to generate sufficient turnover to replace a salary.

I am sure there are a few members here who would support a local log maker, I know I would.

Kamikaze Viking

Yeah i wouldn't expect to make a salary off this unless something lucky happened, But it seems like i could make enough to cut back my IT work. While also giving me some satisfying work to do that's under my control.

Also it seems that Vaping is still a relatively unheard of thing in many circles that I frequent. I love watching the expressions on my friends faces when they try it for the first time as compared to combustion.

Tommy10

On a hobby level, and nail it enough to sell a few, I'm sure that is very achievable. Could easily see 20 sold on here and reddit. If you built it with small load water pipe use you'd attract a lot more people at head shops and such.

hoptimum

Hi,

Been lurking for a while and doing a lot of reading around here.
I'm an IT guy who's just sick of it, and trying to get something going on the side.
Living in Australia and all the recent announcements of things slowly becoming legal soon I'm curious if there is room in the Australian market for locally made logs?

And if so.

Then I guess its time to start ordering heaters and build my prototype.

Based on what i've read about the Underdog and others I think i need a Cartridge heater with the following properties (or close to it, and then I adjust my design around it)
12V @0.6A
20Ohm
~35W
I know that the original logs used a ceramic ohmite 25j20re resistors as from this thread http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/log-vape-resistors-my-diy-log-vape.10880/
Can anyone please confirm this for me, then I'll get started (I've already started collecting tools, stainless steel tubing, and some nice old wood.)

If you build it, they will come.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I say there can never be too many logs. If you can afford to do this as a hobby at first I say go for it! :tup:

The simple act of creating something can be therapeutic and help release stress from your IT job.

The vaporizer market is in its infancy. You have a great long term opportunity here. More combusters are converting to vaping every day, and cannabis restrictions are loosening all over the world. By establishing yourself now with some high quality hand crafted logs, you will have a good chance at capitalizing on these trends.

Also, with Australia being fairly isolated you have a home field advantage over the other log manufacturers.

One good thing about logs is that some people like to collect multiples. Even with a smaller customer base you can potentially sell a decent amount. I would recommend creating logs with a variety of exotic woods and to keep changing up the selection. Keep your prices as affordable as possible, but don't undervalue your work either!

Kamikaze Viking

So i got an email back from the cartridge heater people and they say the maths is wrong

"It appears there are several relevant math issues here.

12V and 0.6A is 20 Ohms and would be 7.2W not 35W"

I'm thinking the lower wattage might be due to using a purpose built heater instead of a ceramic resistor. Hence the need for less wattage due to the heat transferring better. Or the resistance of the cartridge heater is different.
I think i might hold off talking to them, wait for my tools and mutimeter etc to arrive (my dad's shed full of tools i used to use just moved 2 hours further away) and buy a few off the shelf heaters to experiment with.

maybe I should try something like either of these.

10W
http://www.comstatinc.com/high-density-cartridge-heater-12v/10w-p-683-l-en.html
30W
http://www.comstatinc.com/high-density-cartridge-heater-12v/30w-p-687-l-en.html
40W
http://www.comstatinc.com/high-density-cartridge-heater-12v/40w-p-743-l-en.html

Get 2 of each and then just experiment from there.

thoughts?

Tommy10

12v 40w with some way to make it variable and WPA. Open round air intake on the side like the herbalaire and you could even have a bag blowing bowl!

Kamikaze Viking

Haven't posted in a while.

Since you guys were supportive I've gone and gotten started.

Here are a few select pics of my progress.

First Heater core - long way to go -
ikNVD2I.jpg

First few attempts at turning, next to my Maple Underdog -
2LbRscY.jpg

That's starting to look right -
G9Hb7ce.jpg

shiny new tools -
NUyX3Pn.jpg

Getting there with my turning but i keep crashing/catching on the end grain. More practice needed.
n8ODbwO.jpg

I've also worked out the maths of the heaters and have an order in place for some proper ones (the 3d printer ones don't cut it)

little maggie

There are a lot of new vapes in the works- from RBT and Ed in addition to the ones that are already available. Still those are beautiful. Someone suggested connecting it with some kind of small water device. That would be unique. Also you can never tell what will develop here at FC. I hope this goes well.

Enialis

I think there's plenty of room for log vapes worldwide, considering theres only the e-nano, underdog, HI, and wychwood afaik

Kamikaze Viking

Hello fellow Ents!

Sorry it’s been a while, I got delayed by having a job for a while.

Time to write up an update and show off some pics.

It’s taken a while to get good on the lathe and learn how to do things better, then in a few cases get better tools and try again. As well as learning about how different woods handle and how Redgum or Jarrah ruin my chisels sharpness soooo soooo quickly.

Got my first heater core design refined a bit and initial testing seems really good side by side with my underdog std core for comparison. So far I've had decent Vapor and ZERO accidental burn off.

Next step is to get one part I need made custom out of stainless before I can give out a few to friends for extended testing.

I'm making as much effort as possible to only use Wood, Stainless Steel, Lead Free Solder, Silicon, Leather and food safe glues (away from the heat). And I’ve been finishing the wood in Beeswax/Citrus oil that smells really nice.

I guess it’s probably time for people to PM me if you are interested so I can gauge how much in accessory parts I need to track down such as glass stems, packaging, power connectors and 12v power packs & in line dimmers that are approved for Australian use.

And of course go through all my numbers and work out a price. I guess I’m aiming at a similar price to what cost me to import an Underdog from the US. Fingers crossed.

Then if enough people are interested I’ll need to work out the exact legal situation locally in SA (I hope things change soon), a basic website and payment methods (any advice or help appreciated so I don’t take forever).

I guess I need a cool name too.

Anyway, on with the good stuff, here’s the pics:

Glamour shot of Assorted Logs & stems:-
LFDzi7K.jpg

Wood and Glass stems, stainless steel screens, copper cups for aromatherapy oils:-
eQLWWQ7.jpg

Half finished Redgum 1st test Log :-
fszWIxQ.jpg

First set of tests I got up to 225 deg C while aiming to match the 235 deg C i’d measured on my Underdog:-
McL43bY.jpg

The first 4 test cores:-
lxh6DQ1.jpg

2 half finished Pine ones on a tray (I made the tray too):-
1LcVaXj.jpg

During the seconds set of tests I measured top temp @242-245 deg C. This seems to be where it sits after properly warming up – Here is a new pic I took just now:-
XYDiCo1.jpg

Bonus: a couple of Mighty stands I made up:-
MeXdaKY.jpg

Apologies for the potato camera. I’ll get better pics taken later.

I hope you all like this.

Cheers
Kamikaze Viking.

Krahl

I have just found this thread in my search for a new vape and before i order from overseas, i was wondering if these are going to become a reality and be for sale at some point, They look really cool

Kamikaze Viking

I'm working on it, But I'm an amateur at this point and I'm stuck at the moment with getting a key stainless steel part made, Or i need to change the way i do things, which cant really happen when I'm doing it in my kitchen at this time. (i need a sound proof shed with a bedroom attached, i cant exactly swap to welding when doing it in 2nd floor apartment kitchen)

As well as real life issues slowing me down.

I've had lots of friends finding and dropping off some beautiful wood (eg an amazing redgum piece with a white streak).
And I've been practicing making the outer wooden casings and stems and 14mm and 18mm WonG's from the same piece of wood as the main case-
Pm2d3YH.jpg

An then of course the Recent annoucment of Ed's TNT Woodscents log, oh boy talk about raising the bar.

Fingers crossed i can get this done soon.

Cheers

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Sure there is,every country should have a log vape maker not just every continent ,i love all my logs ! I have also DIYed some logs for friends,using test tubes and classic log vape resistor,but never cared to do it neat enough,operation is the main goal.. Once i even managed to make all glass log vape with the heater capsulated in a test tube, but a friend broke it a while ago,and never got to making a new one.I've seen those cartridge heaters around i might try them out, is there a huge performance difference ?
Wish you good luck with your project ,i will be following to see how it unfolds !!

little maggie

The logs look lovely. I know this is not the direction you're taking because log makers and portable makers don't necessarily coexist but given the wood what about a butane one as well? Something that's based on the lily. Right now there are 2 companies doing that: the dobby company in Germany and the stickybrick company in the US.

Kamikaze Viking

log makers and portable makers don't necessarily coexist

I certainly have ideas for phase 2 and 3 if i ever get that far. Things like digital temp control & battery packs. I guess a Butane vape idea isn't too far off base but I've never thought about making one. A friend just got 2 Dynavap M's which I cant wait to try, that will probably give me ideas.

Recently I've made progress in making the stainless fitting I need, but I'm still not quite there yet until i make a jig and get access to a good drill press.

And I've got a new set of 3 Carbide lathe tools on the way, which should help with all these Australian Hardwoods. I've got some old railway sleeper wood from a friends garden that my dad identified as Victorian Ash which is so dense that it killed the edges on my starter chisels in no time, I had to sharpen them 3 times while making a tool handle from the stuff. Cant wait to make a log from it once the carbide arrives.

But I have been working on a special fancy arty piece, but i think i should hold off on showing it until I have something working to show you all.

I'll keep you in the loop.

Cheers!

Top Bottom