RBT Open Source build

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I wanted the glass balls to be the new great thing, but i'm not impressed.. Heating, it's hard to find consistancy, cooling, the balls get coated in reclaim in 1-2 bowls, and I don't see a huge significance in cooling, than over say a RBT XL8R mouthpiece...

Sorry I meant balls as the heater! Not cooling, maybe I misunderstood, but I thought your first prototype of this used them in the heater?

Shit Snacks,

Unklmark68

Sorry I meant balls as the heater! Not cooling, maybe I misunderstood, but I thought your first prototype of this used them in the heater?
OP " Heating, it's hard to find consistency"
I would get zero heat, then all of a sudden I'd be combusting, so I gave up on the glass balls and the stempod deck...

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@Unklmark68 Welcome to the forum ,dude ! That is some nice craftsmanship there ,looking forward to see more of it :).
@oddjobold Hey,man sry that i missed your post somehow,guess i wasnt subscribed to the thread. I know that you send me this item in all good will and out of generosity and i am thankful for that and i tried everything possible to get rid of that smell/off gas.Please dont feel bad about what's described next.My critics/recommendations are all to whover assembled it( either Ryan or the chinese kid ) . I ended up opening it there was epoxy everywhere , including the glass and under the heater,also i noticed some charred woodbits on it,which were also attributing ot the chemical smell... The airports bore didnt look smooth at all so they might originated from there
I dunno if that glue is still used in the this product,but i would advise to reconsider that,even though it is medical epoxy ,it is not meant for inhaling ,i am quite sure of that. I understand that i probably got bad luck with this one,but if there is a chance that even 1 unit in 100 to get glue on the heating element, you will probably endanger that guys health.
I originally planned to re-build it as a plug-in and give to someone who is not that snobby about taste,but after seeing the mess inside,i could not put this on my consciousness,so straight to the bucket it went.

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: Unklmark68

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
OP " Heating, it's hard to find consistency"
I would get zero heat, then all of a sudden I'd be combusting, so I gave up on the glass balls and the stempod deck...

I see, thanks! Must've missed that originally!

Shit Snacks,

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
@Abysmal Vapor sorry for your bad experience. This must be an older unit that was part of the prototype builds. We had some quality issues early on but have strict QA checks now to prevent this from happening. Builders are trained to inspect to wood for any debris and any quality defects are reviewed with production. There is a video on the RBT YouTube showing the application of the 2-part medical grade epoxy. Each unit it visually inspected and electrically tested here at RBT so any issues such as those pointed out will be caught before they reach the customer.

I am happy to have come across this post as it shows how far RBT has come over the last year! New product designs (videos on YouTube for the Seed, ZapZap and desktop) are moving away from the wood / glass design so future designs will be a more robust and reliable design. Going is slow when you are a one man show but progress based on learning is always in full effect.

For those that are proud of how far RBT has come please enjoy a 30% discount store wide with the code thankscole now through 4/26

Unklmark68

IMG-20200422-135322-176.jpg
Hey folks... I would like to introduce my good friend @Unklmark68 who will is a new RBT Open Source maker that is making some bad ass shit. He will be posting and participating in this thread with full RBT support.... should be a good ole time.
Thanks to Ryan for sending me a Milaana kit, and letting me create my own Milaana.
Here it is, I call it The Double Barrel, in Purpleheart and Bocote
IMG-20200422-135322-176.jpg
CdGWfhyQ

https://imgur.com/a/ZBk6PpB

Unklmark68

Hey folks... I would like to introduce my good friend @Unklmark68 who will is a new RBT Open Source maker that is making some bad ass shit. He will be posting and participating in this thread with full RBT support.... should be a good ole time.
I'm at it again....I call it "The Nunchuck Milaana" Purpleheart and Bocote again(Only wood I have until the plague ends) #rbtopensource @RastaBuddhaTao https://imgur.com/a/gMmxa0W
IMG-20200424-165253-987.jpg

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I'm at it again....I call it "The Nunchuck Milaana" Purpleheart and Bocote again(Only wood I have until the plague ends) #rbtopensource @RastaBuddhaTao https://imgur.com/a/gMmxa0W
IMG-20200424-165253-987.jpg
Believe it or now i was just thinking about this yesterday morning (4:20 am here almost).. and was going to propose it... Only to see it has already materialized. It is not very often i experience such things,but when it happens ,it would stick to my mind for weeks .
Awesome job again,better than i could have imagined it :),what is the total length of the unit ?

Unklmark68

Believe it or now i was just thinking about this yesterday morning (4:20 am here almost).. and was going to propose it... Only to see it has already materialized. It is not very often i experience such things,but when it happens ,it would stick to my mind for weeks .
Awesome job again,better than i could have imagined it :),what is the total length of the unit ?
Thanks , It is 6.5 inches without a mouthpiece in it

Unklmark68,
Reactions: Xclerk

Unklmark68

Been a busy week...First, Here's the Walnut and Redheart Milaana 2 I made last week
IMG-20200426-073041859.jpg

Yesterday I combined a Zion heater with a P80 mod and encased it it Walnut and Purpleheart...
I call it "THE P80 Z" ...https://imgur.com/a/NR0OSSr
IMG-20200429-064017-885.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

unklmark

Last edited by a moderator:

unklmark

@unklmark your stuff is so rad. I love it brother. Keep it up.
Thank You, Here is the other thing I'm making. I got the inspiration from THE EMBER...I call it "THE VAPOR LIGHTER" and "VAPOR LIGHTER Z"
Custom bowl slides into any 18mm joint...Instant vapor the second it connects with the device.....This is my personal Z version in Padauk/Wenge/Maple IMG_20200417_205910_698.jpg

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
RBT has reached a milestone moment in is product development. The Mi3 is the last planned 19 mm glass design at least for now. The new designs (Seed, ZapCap, and ZipZap) replace the fragile glass and wood system with more robust Stainless Steel and ceramic. Wood is a beutiful but is not the best engineering material... it grows, shrinks and warps over time and can take on liquid and odors as well as not perform well under heated conditions although it is a great insulator. This shift to the new technology is made possible by @Khelek41girl at kgwoodcrafts.com as they provide authorized repair service for RBT and by @unklmark bringing his creative designs here to the Open Source thread. This ensures that although the sun is setting on the RBT 19 mm glass designs, they will still be supported along with expanded.

So, here is how this will work. @unklmark @Khelek41girl will lead the efforts and a few other people will be provided parts to tinker with in the coming weeks. RBT will eventually make a few open source videos to review the high surface area architecture, explain the manufacturing techniques required as well as review the 2015 provisional patent listed on the RBT WWW as well as some suggested designs. THIS WILL BE THE EXTENT OF THE RBT SUPPORT. Open source means its up to you to design create learn try and hopefully not blow something up :) Basic parts like glass with screens inserted (Z and Mi), buttons, heaters, etc. will be listed for sale ... all sales final, no warranty, no liability, no support other than the videos and open source makers here. Please understand that this is being done to support the future makers of the world by paying forward what FC has given me but has to be independent of RBT for both financial and legal reasons. Basically a leg up and a community to support your dream of building a carved dragon with the 19 mm female in it's mouth.

The expectation here is only to develop a grass roots group of makers that work together with the RBT tech parts and principles as a simple, inexpensive, and somewhat proven way to make a vape... I can remember the first soldering iron vape I made ... Just hoping to give others the joy of making so I have to joy of watching in a win win situation... So PLEASE... no drama here... if anyone can make anything and have the joy of having someone go nuts over it and can sell a few to make a few bucks than great! RBT does reserve the right to maybe do a speciall build with @Khelek41girl or @unklmark next year just for fun but RBT 19 mm is now fair game to anyone that wants to play around with it... I am currently dreaming of the day that I can design again but for now the Seed, ZapCap and ZipZap are more than enough to keep me busy.

Looking forward to see this new life in the RBT open source continue as it has been a rip so far... seriously one of my 2020 highlights By FAR. So special thanks for @unklmark and @Khelek41girl for being the @pakalolo and @Stu of this thread :) Just keep in mind that creativity and fun is the only objective here so please be positive and maybe save constructive critisim to a DM. Being a maker is like showing a painting you made... so please be mindful of everyone's feelings... take a look at the fist Milaana posted on the IG and now put it next to the Mi3... all big trees start with small seeds so lets go nurture and grow and not stone throw ... fist rule of brainstorming is not to criticize but to build together constructively... honestly... in a free flow of ideas... its like making music for a maker.

Last edited:

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@Rastabuddhatao you may not be aware that provisional patents are only good if followed up by a non-provisional patent within one year. If not, they mean absolutely nothing. They only cost around $30, so it isn’t that great of a loss.

Did you realize that a ss ribbon with the same dimensions as ss mesh actually has more surface area since it isn’t full of holes? That means that ss ribbon/foil may actually be the way to go. It sure works well in the Nomad and TinyMight. Both have a spiral shaped coil too.

@unklmark - Very nice wood working.

Top Bottom