Discussion in 'The Vapor Lounge' started by Vicki, Oct 10, 2015.
I'm all out of weed. And I'm also out of avb! I get out early tomorrow though and I'm picking up a half ounce of primo for 120. Mhmm I'm gonna be inebriated tomorrow night!
But tonight, all I have is beer. It doesn't have the same effect when it comes to bed time.
When the idea of policing was introduced, there were different rules of engagement. Cops today seemed to be trained for something quite different from the original police officers of civil society.
In the United Kingdom in 1829, Sir Robert Peele enumerated nine principles for ethical policing. The rules are now considered the rules of policing by consent, noting that the body of police officers is made up of citizens, setting clear boundaries for their roles.
His work at organizing a civilian police force is still considered to be the gold standard, but as you read them you may notice just how far away we have strayed. You might wonder how does the modern-day S.W.A.T. raid on the homes of American/British (in fact; anywhere you go in the world) families fits in. You might wonder how civil asset forfeiture would fit in here, or the war on drugs, or dealing with the mentally ill.
In any rate, a return to these old-fashioned ideas would go a long way in healing the nation.
Sir Robert Peel’s Nine Principles of Policing
1. To prevent crime and disorder, as an alternative to their repression by military force and severity of legal punishment.
2. To recognise always that the power of the police to fulfil their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behaviour, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect.
3. To recognise always that to secure and maintain the respect and approval of the public means also the securing of the willing co-operation of the public in the task of securing observance of laws.
4. To recognise always that the extent to which the co-operation of the public can be secured diminishes proportionately the necessity of the use of physical force and compulsion for achieving police objectives.
5. To seek and preserve public favour, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolutely impartial service to law, in complete independence of policy, and without regard to the justice or injustice of the substance of individual laws, by ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing, by ready exercise of courtesy and friendly good humour, and by ready offering of individual sacrifice in protecting and preserving life.
6. To use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient to obtain public co-operation to an extent necessary to secure observance of law or to restore order, and to use only the minimum degree of physical force which is necessary on any particular occasion for achieving a police objective.
7. To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
8. To recognise always the need for strict adherence to police-executive functions, and to refrain from even seeming to usurp the powers of the judiciary, of avenging individuals or the State, and of authoritatively judging guilt and punishing the guilty.
9. To recognise always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them.
not saying, just saying, without saying,
Way too rational and civilized for the USA.
That is exactly the point that is being made.
What policing was (and is supposed to be) is way too 'rational and civilized' for the 'world-wide ELITE system'...period!!
I just realized nobody ever congratulates young women on losing their virginity.
Maybe it's like how nobody high fives the goaltender when a goal is scored.
Not to get political but just thinking out loud......I wonder if Trump is frieghtened that North Korea could bomb South Korea while he is visiting there. He has just landed.it would be devastating.
Trump's visit is primarily a demonstration of force, he's not scared he's showing off and fucking with kim.
World War 3 brink: Now Donald Trump sends BOMBERS to North Korea in 'show of force'
Trump said Pyongyang must understand the “unparalleled strength” that Washington had at its disposal
I thought he was getting out of town during the midterms ...
California's POST (Peace Officer's Standards and Training) requirements still have a section on Sir Robert Peel. The principals are a part of police ethics and part of why officers claim to be professionals.
I highly recommend getting really medicated or really high whatever term you prefer before getting an MRI. It took me 20 min per knee. It seemed like a long time thinking about it beforehand. It flew by even though it was uncomfortable having to stay still and listening to the loud noise. I just zoned out. I guess if you had a strain that had racy effects don't use that. You don't want to freak out and have to squeeze the buzzer. The assistant there told me they have people freak out and need tranquilizers. I've had MRIs before so I knew what to expect.
Just about everything has a brain/CPU in it these days. If one of my brainy devices unexpectedly starts acting up and I can't debug/fix it.... I save whatever I can if needed, shut the device off and/or remove it from the electrical source. Basic reboot.
If someone asks me to take a look at their unruly computer or cell phone....if I'm feeling lazy or not interested I give them the same advice....save what you can, reboot and let me know if that doesn't solve the problem.
Recently this has worked on my fridge and my car. Glad my toilet is stupid.
You don't have the right toilet. Bidets are incredible with just a hose and spigot. Bidets that heat the seat, the water and give a little stream of warm air to dry off--sublime.
My new fm antenna gets my favorite station! 100% commercial free (npr-affilated) "adult album alternative" programming that's right up my alley. I have listened to it in my car driving to the city for years, but when I moved here it doesn't come in on my old pioneer receiver/pos turk antenna combo (it plugs into the wall and looks cool but does jacksh*t for my reception). The one I just hooked up and threw into a tree outside woks really well, better even than in my car loving the programming tonight finally something went right.
I stayed up too late and sobered up now I gotta get high again. Life is hard sometimes.
Before my morning coffee I can't even have a random thought
Am I a robot?
Do you want yourself an antenna that works great? A trick from Reddit's RTLSDR subreddit:
I've been playing with software defined radio with the linked antenna for a bit and it certainly seems to bring in the waves. (RTLSDR is a hobby where the RTL2832U chipset is used as a general purpose receiver you use software to define the frequencies. It is not as easy as it sounds, but the antenna works.)
Very cool, loving the planar technology aspect. This station I have access to now reminds me of the old ('70s-80s) album-oriented rock (AOR) stations of my youth, back when I would record full albums and concerts on my fancy cassette deck. Except now it's commercial-free, & run by native americans.
Unfortunately sneeze was a seasoning to my tea earlier this week and now I'm sick on my days off from work.
At least I have beer and weed.
Distractions, escapism. Yay. Future man on Hulu and the flame and the flood on the switch. I'll be plenty distracted.
I really like this forum. I don't post very often but often read really interesting or insightful things on here I'd have never come accross otherwise. I watched the Jack Herer documentary last night because it had been posted in another thread, really interesting. He seemed like a nice honest guy who stood up for what he believed in.
I woke from a horrible dream that my mom died. It felt so good when I called her & just heard her voice.
It would be cool if there was an area here on the site that wasn't open to bots and the like. I would love to share some of my artwork, but I would not want search engines to find it...know what I mean? It's my line of work. Anyway, I did this awesome lettering for a children's play area. I'm going to share a detail from a sloppy photo I took of it and hopefully it's all good.
There's a bunch more and it's not actually crooked, but the photo was crooked. The colors also look way more vibrant in person.
You could write a multi million dollar Childrens book with that theme.
I'm not a bumper sticker kind of guy, but saw the coolest one last night. It said, "Freedom of religion means ALL religions". And right below that on the same sticker it continued,"Minds are like parachutes. They only work when open"!
What was even better, was that it was an old white couple in a beat up truck, in the bread basket of fly over country.
Separate names with a comma.