Random thoughts

ChooChooCharlie

Random decision making at the custom plate division of the DMV?

Saw this on walk today:

mcrdose.jpg

Hope those beefy bumpers aren't needed

olysh pops

It's a question I ask myself and share with you.

How can we understand those who want to wage war ? Whether it's a fratricidal war, a civil war or a war between nations ?

In my opinion, what leads to war is emotion. Passions, suffering, a thirst for revenge, profit, a sense of injustice, a feeling of omnipotence or sadism, but not reason.

I think we all "basically" want the opposite, i.e. to have friends, build a family, have a job and be able to take everyone on vacation from time to time.

Isn't war a loss of reason, a loss of civilization ? What do you think ?

olysh pops

the original title Tolstoy used for "War and Peace".
Thank you for this reference which I have never read.

I'm interested in Wikipedia's analysis: in his book 'War and Peace', Tolstoy explains that 'the true explanations of war are inaccessible to human understanding; they are the result of an incalculable number of causes'.

'Leo Tolstoy develops a fatalistic theory of history, in which free will is of minor importance and all events obey an inescapable historical determinism.'

Wow, this deterministic vision sounds pessimistic, I can't help but share it :|

I also like the exchanges between Einstein and Freud before the Second World War, when they saw world war approaching and wondered how to avoid it.

My hope is that goals common to mankind, such as the fight against global warming, 'oilocene', hunger, for education, for human development, law, science, research and economic progress, will unite us and prevent us from killing each other, as has so often happened in the difficult moments of our history.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Thank you for this reference which I have never read.

I'm interested in Wikipedia's analysis: in his book 'War and Peace', Tolstoy explains that 'the true explanations of war are inaccessible to human understanding; they are the result of an incalculable number of causes'.

'Leo Tolstoy develops a fatalistic theory of history, in which free will is of minor importance and all events obey an inescapable historical determinism.'

Wow, this deterministic vision sounds pessimistic, I can't help but share it :|

I also like the exchanges between Einstein and Freud before the Second World War, when they saw world war approaching and wondered how to avoid it.

My hope is that goals common to mankind, such as the fight against global warming, 'oilocene', hunger, for education, for human development, law, science, research and economic progress, will unite us and prevent us from killing each other, as has so often happened in the difficult moments of our history.

Here is the cite for @pakalolo's reference

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
754918_0f8c2c877fea0702811855b23c912945.webp

Edit:

Fuck it... MIXED MEDIA! It was very relatable at the time ('06), as we (I, really :rolleyes:) totally "settled down" in preparation for our second to be born... and still is if you exclude cannabis products, ftmp... 😇:

Tim Easton - Dear Old Song & Dance

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yes I don't know and understand spoken English so badly that I won't understand more despite your efforts haha. thank you for pointing me to the reference.
American television.
That guy made up the story he tells the girl about an original title for War and Peace.
She later creates a very awkward situation by repeating the story as fact.
Hilarity ensues.
American television!

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
I want to know who took that last photo, and more importantly, what the hell were they standing on?
Based on the lack of wind, and the still rotor, I’d say the guy who took the photo was standing on the tarmac.

The guy who photoshopped it however, was sitting in a desk chair

Canna Chameleon,
  • Haha
Reactions: Franco

bhasma

I think this belongs here:
Use cannabis and enjoy the high or don't use it and enjoy your life. Not using and desiring it or using and worrying about it is pointless (and a risk to mental health).

bhasma,
Reactions: Bologna

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Use cannabis and enjoy the high or don't use it and enjoy your life. Not using and desiring it or using and worrying about it is pointless (and a risk to mental health).
Maybe spot on for some folks.

But my life is not binary, my choices and variety of experience cover more than these options.

Being influenced by cannabis and enjoying life are not mutually exclusive.

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.

Maybe spot on for some folks.

But my life is not binary, my choices and variety of experience cover more than these options.

Being influenced by cannabis and enjoying life are not mutually exclusive.

I didn't read it like that, I read it like this....: there's "Life" and "High Life", both paths can be enjoyed...

I think what @bhasma meant to say was that if you quit consuming and/or think cannabis is bad for you, don’t come preach about the bad effects to the folks in a weed forum …..

bhasma

Just because you're high doesn't mean you're not enjoying your life. And using or not using must be binary. Is it possible to partially use? But that doesn't mean that the choice is only to use or not to use.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I didn't read it like that, I read it like this....: there's "Life" and "High Life", both paths can be enjoyed...
If this is the interpretation, then I agree with your take on it.
But then he might as well have said, "Use cannabis and enjoy your life, or don't use it and enjoy your life."

Just because you're high doesn't mean you're not enjoying your life. And using or not using must be binary. Is it possible to partially use? But that doesn't mean that the choice is only to use or not to use.

Thanks for clarifying.
I was saying (my) life is not binary. I agree there is no partial use!
I thought your original sentence sounded binary, like, you can be high OR enjoy life, but not both.
But if I can be high and enjoy my lfe, sign me up!

Top Bottom