Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
Purple-Days said:
Sure, if you are having a problem e-mail us. The forum isn't the place to handle individual transactions. We will get you fixed up.
Sounds great, I thought I'd hit up the forum first.

Purple-Days said:
I have said a few times that you can turn the unit over and tap the side of it with your hand. I almost never do it, but if your gonna do it that's the sensible way to do it. And the way I have suggested. After all you are only trying to get rid of some dusty debris, not trying to dislodge the Heat Exchanger.
The heat exchanger is a 100 gram mass, sandwiched in place by a spring clip. The unit has an obvious top and bottom and orientation. IE. the clip doesn't just levitate. It gets dislodged by the unit striking something or something striking the unit. Striking the unit on it's top is how the clip becomes dislodged, and it takes a pretty good strike to do that (or multiple repeated stikes). Beating "...the shit out of the bottom" just doesn't make sense, and going by the advice of some forum member... well, as Dad used to ask, " if they told you to jump off a cliff...".
Once the clip is dislodged, letting the heat exchanger rattle back and forth will widen the 1" throat of the body and even with another clip it may be impossible to fix.
Yes, I did durability tests. As I say on the tests page, "Tested beyond reasonable expectations. If a unit ever fails we want to know about it. Please don't try these tests on your unit, we did it so you don't have to."
The tests weren't a challenge to find a way to break the unit. Beating it till parts loosen is an obvious way to cause an eventual failure. Once parts are loose beating it further may cause non-repairable damage.
Hmm, I don't doubt your corrective prescribing of proper action, I only based my actions off of forum observation, se la vi I guess. Now by sandwiched in place by a spring clip do you mean tension is the primary thing keeping the insides in place? I was not aware of that, probably would have influenced how I applied said "...the shit out of the bottom". Unfortunately the combination of my thinking the PD was immortal in the physical sense, my being UTI, and some herb burning against the resistor kind of killed my cautious restraint. Never hit it anywhere near an externally damaging level, but probably harder than one should with the internal set up I think I now am privy to.
A big hmmm to the latter statement about the impossible to fix part. Fingers crossed.

Purple-Days said:
Yes, that is a ceramic resistor. RoHS compliant of course. The energy is conducted and radiated to the heat exchanger wall and further conducted to the Heat exchanger mass and fins.
Ok, cool I've been moderately curious as to if my understanding of the PD's insides was correct. Again, loving the design simplicity.

Thanks for all the questions answered, I'll hit you up with an email if I decide that it does need to be sent in after all :peace:

Purple-Days said:
Maybe you have heard of Newton? Action and Re-action.
Why yes I have actually. Ever heard of Kepler? Much cooler mathematician IMO ;)

sneezyjesus,

Purple-Days

I'll describe the set-up again for any who missed it. The top hole has a 1" stainless steel sleeve lining the hole, that you cannot see, it rests against the bottom of the hole. The top disk of the heat exchanger sits on this sleeve and the spring steel clip sandwiches that top disk of the heat exchanger against the sleeve. What I meant about Newton was a mass in motion will stay in motion etc. and the clip can be overcome by enough force, the mass of that heat exchanger, moving 'up' out of the hole.

Newton's laws of motion, was what I was referring to. And I believe that's the only math needed to explain why the heat exchanger can 'somehow' move 'up'. Not sure how 'cool' Newton was. He has a unit of force named after him. "one of the most influential people in human history." according to Wikipedia.

Purple-Days,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
That's the really cool thing about math though, it's all related! There isn't any math
not related to that math which explains why the heat exchanger could move up ('up'?); Newton's work was almost a scale derivative of Keplers, while even Kepler's was based off the musings of Copernicus!

And no need to defend Newton, I'd bet that he was pretty cool too. (For a scientist in the 1600's :science:)

Really though thank you for the spring clip recap, I'm not sure why I wasn't getting a clearer mental image of that sooner. :peace:

sneezyjesus,

Purple-Days

Funny, Newton was an alchemist... So he certainly didn't know everything. I forget who said it, but 'you can't railroad till it's time to railroad'. Yeah, I had a telescope and am very interested in space (and time). Copernicus, Keppler, Newton... Einstein. Everybody builds on previous work (me too). BTW I think Obama is an idiot for abandoning the return to the Moon. Niel Armstrong agrees. Build on previous work. We just found water there, and the solar wind across the rims of south pole craters is making free electricity. It's only three days away, maybe that just not exiting enough to get re-elected. I'm not being political, I think they are all jerks.

Another batch of PDs went out Friday. Working on more today, of course.

New tool in the shop yesterday. I ghetto rigged another tool with about $5 worth of stuff from the hardware (and two bike rides) and have the near equivalent of a thousand dollar tool I once used. Been puzzling this one for almost 2 years and then it hits me how to do it. Building on the work of others. ;) Can't say what it is, such a work (Newton) saver.

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

Wow I have something like you are speaking of to cover the un-used 2.1mm plugs on my daisy chain power supply. Too small but I get the idea. It would need to bee a flat bottomed hole and suction from removal might interfere with a form fitting cup design. Maybe a cig case style of the proper length so the ends were covered flush, holding several loaded tubes, I can see that. ;)

OK here is some ghetto.

You know the blue masking tape? Tear off a 1" piece, place it gum to gum on the middle of a three inch piece, sorta like a band-aid. Now you have a no stick surface against the load and tape it shut with the rest. Load and go. I need a bandollera (bandoleer???)... Ayeeee!!!

God, I love Mexican cantina? music.

Purple-Days,

AdamIsChillen

Not sure if this has been discussed but.......

Any1 have any good excuses for what the hell your pd is if you were to get stopped by a cop? (of course I would unlpug it and chuck it in my back seat.......)

What about the tubes??

AdamIsChillen,

Purple-Days

My very first post on this forum was about being pulled over by an Oregon State Trooper. It had to do with the odor of vapor, and of course the unit was unplugged during the pull over and thrown on the floor. We had just finished some stuff, if it was smoke we would have been busted for sure. I think once a cop starts looking, you are a goner, wether it's smoke or vapor or edibles, once they are suspicious they will find the evidence they need to justify the search. After all, they aren't all stupid, and if they suspect and you are 'holding', you are busted. Cause you probably are... :peace:

Happy 420 to all, hope you are holding today. :D

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
My advice is to leave it at home, always. Safety first. While it may be cool to bring it over to your friend's house the risk is greater than the fun.
The only thing I can think of in terms of a lame answer as to what the PD is, maybe it's the base to a log style lamp you're in the process of building?
Happy 420 back at you Tom.

jeffp,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I agree with jeff. I don't know about around your part of the world, but around these parts, most of the people being busted are in cars. Plus, what a drag if it was confiscated. Not worth the risk IMO.

momofthegoons,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
yeah if it's confiscated you have to get on the wait list again!
seriously don't entertain serious and unnecessary risk.

*EDIT*

in NYC in your home this is probably in general given low priority but not in cars - aside from the possession aspect, there's DUI and that's very serious.

jeffp,

Q_

This is a little off-topic, but I think in NYC, at least if you're not in a car, anything under about a quarter ounce is basically OK if it is concealed and you don't have any paraphernalia (which at a minimum has to be "dirty", and I think in practice this part is not often enforced). That's about half way to legalization in my book.

Q_,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Thanks for all the kind comments on the pictures of the Ash PD I posted. I don't know how out of the ordinary it is for Ash grain but it's really something to me. Hooray for more wood choices! I can say that it hits very well, must be the perfect density.

Had a great weekend with lots of party favors. Chillin' in the clouds with the new Hendrix album. When copious amounts of alcohol are involved it's so nice to not worry about people breaking your vape. On a side note, the new re-seating tool is a nice addition to the kit. Just another little innovation I suppose.

vtac,

Purple-Days

Always trying to improve... ;)

Been listening to a couple of tracks of the new Hendrix on IJPR.org ... Jefferson Public Radio. The State Of Jefferson, out here on the 'Lost Coast' . Check out their shows on your own, we get the Rythm and News repeater and the Classical repeater on our FM band but you can listen to it all over the world. Lots of different tunes from Johnny Cash to African rythms. Please support Public Radio. I listen to Open Air 9-3 every day in the shop and follow that up with Fresh Air with Terry Gross, then All Things Considered till 6 PM. World Cafe follows and may have about anybody. Jeff Beck the other day...
Tune in, turn on . . .
www.ijpr.org/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=1013

Purple-Days,

sour

Very cool I want to give it a listen, I'll start with rhythm & news. Thanks!

sour,

AdamIsChillen

Yes the easy answer is don't do it but if you have no possession and your tubes aren't resined there has to be something you could pass it off as.

Tip: if you bring any on the road just put it in a little plastic cup (like for rinsing after you brush your teeth) and if worst comes to worst just empty the cup out the window...( can be done discretely)

AdamIsChillen,

bstar

momofthegoons said:
Okay, so let's stretch a little. Maybe you could pass it off as a breathing device for asthma. ;)
The key would be making it believable. I'd keep it bagged with other items for that, like a box of the medicine and the breathing pieces. That's a lot of work to find though when a) you could just hide it in the bag anyway and b) the cop could know what it is anyway.

They're about the size of a soda can, why not just find a go cup it would fit in? Or one of those soda can foam sleeves. Then looks like you're just sipping a drink.

bstar,

timmyduboy

It IS an oil diffuser...after all :brow:

Riding purple probably isn't the greatest idea ever, especially if you are carrying other purple things with you.

timmyduboy,

mmk

http://img94.imageshack.us/i/87582354.jpg/

http://img686.imageshack.us/i/67378916.jpg/

http://img406.imageshack.us/i/52371086.jpg/

http://img718.imageshack.us/i/56374568.jpg/

A couple of photos of my now one week old Cherry wood PD

First vaporizer and loving it :) love the whole vaporizing experience.
So much smoother and better tasting than smoking! Will never look back for sure!

Pictures do not do this vaporizer justice!

I got the cherry wood. At first when ordering I were a bit disappointed that it was the only choice of wood, I liked the Photos of Myrtle/walnut/tee tree and
thought the cherry wood seemed a bit dull looking in comparison, BUT IT JUST SO IS NOT!!!
(properly also a bit of want what you can't get :rolleyes: )

This piece of wood Tom send me is just beautiful, it has everything!
Beautiful grain lines,
Nice two tone body with a light colour front that is sharply(not so obvious in my photo) separated from the rest of the units darker colour by a wood grain line,
a bit of figuring (I think it is called)
and also Light reflects off the wood beautifully (can't really describe it, a little like mother of pearl effect and not at all visible in photos.)
the craftsmanship is first class as well.
The comfortable feel of the dry warm wood is an added bonus no more sweaty hands or cold fingers from holding a glass bong.

Thanks to Tom and Pammy for good service and patience with silly requests :rolleyes: , fast and nice e-mail responses! :)

Thanks to the whole FC community for helping me in choosing my first vape and not waste money and be discouraged from vaping by lesser products.
already have the MFLB on order for my portable needs, and plan on getting the vapexhale for those big hits when I just wanna' get :ko:
That should cover my needs :lol: ....... Well maybe just one more PD for the bedroom :D :rolleyes:

:peace: mmk

mmk,

elhoel

would it be possible to put a bigger.......uhhh....stem? into the purple days?

i know some people talk about getting bigger hits or w/e but.....couldn't you technically just put a bigger stem in the pd since.....from what i read....the stems dont like...lock in they're a little loose

or do the stems that come with it cut it pretty close in terms of how much they fill the.....diffuse...space? i guess

basically asking, for people who are looking for huge hit devices...isnt this already one? you'd just have to mod it?

would seem easier to just get one of these no? lol the pd i mean

elhoel,

lwien

elhoel said:
would it be possible to put a bigger.......uhhh....stem? into the purple days?

i know some people talk about getting bigger hits or w/e but.....couldn't you technically just put a bigger stem in the pd since.....from what i read....the stems dont like...lock in they're a little loose

or do the stems that come with it cut it pretty close in terms of how much they fill the.....diffuse...space? i guess

basically asking, for people who are looking for huge hit devices...isnt this already one? you'd just have to mod it?

would seem easier to just get one of these no? lol the pd i mean
This vape is built for efficiency in small measured doses. Rather than trying to make it something that it's not, why not just get a big-hitting vape. With that being said though, you can get huge hits if you hit it through a bong while not jeopardizing it's efficiency or having to mod an already very well designed vape.

lwien,

panasonic

I think theoretically you could stick a stainless steel tubing sleeve over the central heat exchanger tube to widen the mating surface for the vapor tube and then make a bigger vapor tube. Whether or not this would be worth the effort over just hitting through a bong is questionable at best, because it'd be kinda hokey and probably wouldn't heat as uniformly nor would it be at the same temperature (probably slightly lower). But that's the easiest solution I could see working.

What would be a lot funnier is using two PD's simultaneously hooked up to one bong with some sort of tubing Y-adapter. I don't think it'd be convenient and it'd probably be really awkward, but the comedy factor (and the huge hits) would be there. :p

panasonic,

elhoel

now that i actually have a pd in front of me i can see that i would actually have to mod it and that's really not what i wanted to do

this isn't a full review (i'll prolly do one once ive had more time with it)

i think, maybe i missed it, the most underrated thing about the pd is how consistent each hit is

basically a guaranteed amount of vapor each hit, pretty crazy, i guess thats what makes it so efficient

pretty awesome so far though lol

also, it's normal for the unit to be pretty warm right? and hot at the top?(the wood at the top not the metal)

elhoel,

KooKunLa

This is my first post. I did my research and settled on a PD about a year ago.
I particularly like using the spent herb to bake cookies. Wow! what a knockout.
It's a nice bonus to an already uplifting experience

I need advice on whether I should travel with my PD - as in airport security, customs
and those yappy little dogs scrambling over everything.

We are talking about international travel btw.

KooKunLa,

AdamIsChillen

Well I don't know the laws of where you are traveling but in the US vaporizers are not illegal. Of course make sure that it is a 100% clean with no resin.

This is assuming your not going to travel with the actual herb, which I wouldn't recommend. If you do plan on it then don't bring the vaporizer and just stick with getting some papers when you land.

AdamIsChillen,
Top Bottom