Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Purple-Days

Just tapping the screwdriver with your hand should re-seat the clip. Just set the unit on a solid surface and do like NoSmoke says. The Top disk of the heat exchanger is sandwiched against the 1" stainless steel sleeve (that you can't see) by that spring steel retaining clip.

That 100 gram mass of the heat exchanger can slightly dislodge the clip if the unit is dropped on its head. Then the mass can move around. The top disk is slightly smaller diameter than the hole, to allow for expansion and contraction, when heated. The clip holds it in place but lets it expand and contract.

Purple-Days,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Purple-Days said:
IThe AC to AC power supply we provide is un-regulated. It is a simple induction device. ie. 10 windings on one coil and 100 on the other (or numbers in that proportion) and provides 12 Volts when supplied with 120 Volts (depending on the accuracy of the windings ratio). Higher or lower input voltage will provide higher or lower output voltages in an un-regulated supply. ie. 120V>12V, 115V>11.5V etc. A regulated supply will provide 12V at any input voltage (withing the range of the device) ie. 120V>12V, 115V>12V.
finding this out helped me problem solve a bunch of issues. My PD gets plugged into a building that has some old jacked up wiring. Some of the places I plug it in just suck. Got an electrician friend of mine check a couple of the outlets. come too find got some wiring issues. So no I gotta hunt down the good outlets too use.

DevoTheStrange,

jklasd

im sorry, but the explaination nosmoke gave confused me (nothing against you sir, sometimes you just cant understand what someone is trying to tell you until someone else explains it). and using the search function for this in a 171 page thread is nearly impossible. FC needs an update search funtion to at least narrow it down to a page. so i have a rattle, and have for a few months, letting it go. no bother, seems to work just as well. but id like to get rid of it, since it seems to get worse so help please :). also tom, this could be more directed at you, but anyone who had the same problem, please join in. a week ago, i picked up my pd and it was cold as ice. checked to see if plug was in the pd and the wall, which it was. no bother to me, figured just the plug, id go get a new one. the next day, i picked it up, and it was warm. awesome, no need for a plug. a few hours later, cold as ice again. few hours after that, warm to the touch. and has stayed warm for the last 2-3 days. now, i know i read of plugs stop working all together, but not a constant change. im just curious if its a possible internal problem and not just the plug? i have no dropped it since the first week i got it, but the cord does get twisted a lot. like i said, im figuring its the plug, but just wanted to confirm it was JUST the plug and not the PD itself.

EDIT: seems like i do understand what nosmoke said because there is no rattle. plug issue only issue now :)

jklasd,

Purple-Days

The heat exchanger is a heavy mass. It can slightly dislodge the spring steel clip. The clip can be re-seated. The clip is a horseshoe shaped semi-circle that presses against the outside wall of the top hole in the wooden body. I should be down firmly against the top disk of the heat exchanger. There is a 1" stainless steel sleeve under that top disk, that you cannot see. Sleeve>Top Disk>Clip forming a sandwich. Setting the PD on a solid surface, use a screwdriver or similar to tap the clip back down firmly against the top disk of the heat exchanger and things should be solid again.

Broken cords and plugs do not usually 'show' a problem. The breakage is inside the insulation and usually inside the strain relief portion of the plug. Depending on the angle of the cord etc. you may have contact and you may not. Thus intermittent power. Feel the wall wart after it has been plugged in a while, it will be slightly warm, that indicates the power supply is functioning. There is almost nothing other than a broken cord or plug that will cause intermittent power.

You can get a new power supply from us, or Jameco.com (part# 10081) or any other source. Just follow the recommendations for power on our FAQ page.

Purple-Days,

jklasd

thanks tom haha. i went about guessing with no smoke explaination, and the rattle didn't go away, it go worse. but then i pick it up 10 minutes later and it was gone? weird, but happy :)
thanks for the explaination as well about the cord. i figured it was it, as i highly doubted the jack was fucked. since you say, "There is almost nothing other than a broken cord or plug that will cause intermittent power," i'll take your word for it and just get the power supply. i already checked your FAQ so no worries about the recommendations there ;) the source didn't have the one needed, but did have a 6 adapter one, at 850mA's, but i didn't like how big the plug into the wall was going to be (more [====] then [=] so i may have to order one off the e-net.

jklasd,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Thanks for the info.. Gonna try it when I get home. jklasd-I ordered 2 backup wall adapters for that exact situation.. Don't ever want to be stuck without the PD lol.

aznfknpride,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
jklasd said:
thanks tom haha. i went about guessing with no smoke explaination, and the rattle didn't go away, it go worse. but then i pick it up 10 minutes later and it was gone? weird, but happy :)
thanks for the explaination as well about the cord. i figured it was it, as i highly doubted the jack was fucked. since you say, "There is almost nothing other than a broken cord or plug that will cause intermittent power," i'll take your word for it and just get the power supply. i already checked your FAQ so no worries about the recommendations there ;) the source didn't have the one needed, but did have a 6 adapter one, at 850mA's, but i didn't like how big the plug into the wall was going to be (more [====] then [=] so i may have to order one off the e-net.
normally I find the rattle can appear without dropping the PD when it is running lower temps than it should be running. The rattle for me is always a sign the operating temp is off. That is if my PD didn't make any recent sudden dives into the flow. As soon as it gets back up too temp everything expands and fights tight.

once the heat starts too go down the first thing I notice is the tube coming out of the heat exchange is the first thing too move. As it gets colder the rattle grows and more parts begin too start moving. I tend too have bad experience with plugging my power supply into shitty outlets. So whenever I go too use my PD the first thing I do is shake it... if I hear a rattle most likely I plugged it into a crappy outlet (I really need too buy a regulated power supply too avoid this, but I'm lazy), or it could have been sitting in a cold room or near an open window.

DevoTheStrange,

g124v17y

I received my PD a few days ago. I am in love. I own a PD, an Extreme, an Iolite, and a glass VG.

g124v17y,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Okay... where am I putting the screwdriver? It's a very faint rattle, near the bottom of the PD... sounds like a little solder or something stuck in there, not a loose clip... IDK I could be wrong (pretty vaked ATM) but that's what it sounds like to me. Any help is much appreciated!

aznfknpride,

uxxxie

pokemon
Hey PD :)
I am definitely ordering my PD tomorrow, it'll be my first vape ever and I'm so excited!
I am interested in hooking my PD up to a water pipe via tube ? I saw a few vids on youtube about it.
Questions:
Water pipe + PD... will my "high" be weaker from combining the two?
How do I connect the PD to a water pipe? Can I connect it straight to the bowl/slide?

I guess those are my two main questions :) I'm pretty new to everything vape-related,coming from "spoons", i'm hoping to conserve my supplies and stay as healthy and happy as possible~!
good vibes to you ::peace:

uxxxie,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
aznfknpride said:
Okay... where am I putting the screwdriver? It's a very faint rattle, near the bottom of the PD... sounds like a little solder or something stuck in there, not a loose clip... IDK I could be wrong (pretty vaked ATM) but that's what it sounds like to me. Any help is much appreciated!
when you look down into the PD you will notice a retaining clip/spring in the shape of a huge C. it is the outer most piece of metal that you can see. It should have two little holes at the end points of the C. Put your PD on a good flat surface. Tap it (The C Clip) down with a flat screwdriver by placing the blade of it against the clip so that is only on the clip and not the rest of the PD (you can scratch the inside wood of the PD if your not careful) and give it a few taps with a hammer or your hand (if the handle is big enough not too hurt your hand) around the perimeter of the clip.

DevoTheStrange,

Purple-Days

Sounds like one of those tiny solder droplets, aznfknpride.

Back when I was blind (before the surgery) I would sometimes miss a droplet of solder that had fallen frommy work and it would adhere to the wood cavity. Being silver and reflective, they sometimes eluded me. So, yep, that's what it is and no worry, everything is well apart and 'nailed' down so no fear of a short or any other problems.

Uxxxie, I have never hooked anything up to a PD, But the tube is 1/2" and stretchy 3/8" ID silicone tubing slips over for a tight fit, from there you can hook it up to anything. Some folks even use a short whip with nothing else attached. Me, just a straight standard tube... no whip or accessories. I personally like pure vapor undiluted by air, which must either be displaced or mixed with the vapor diluting it... Nothing against those that modify the vapor path, it just isn't for me (or Pammy).

Purple-Days,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
my PD is the only vape I dont use with other accessories. I have tried it with bongs and attachments. Just not my cup of tea. Now all my other vapes... I have done so much with those. I have found other attachments, for me at least, (dunno bout e'ryone else) does not make enough difference in performance for me too warrant modifying my PD experience.

DevoTheStrange,

uxxxie

pokemon
Thanks guys :) So pulling off of the little pipe that comes with the PD is all I really need?
And using a whip/attachment to a water pipe/what have you is strictly preference?
As a beginner I should probably just keep it simple huh :p
Plenty of time to get fancy :x

uxxxie,

lord

if the heat irritates your throat, I've found that crunching down on an ice-cube before inhaling helps a lot.

lord,

UrutuBsb

Maconheiro
uxxxie said:
Hey PD :)
I am definitely ordering my PD tomorrow, it'll be my first vape ever and I'm so excited!
I am interested in hooking my PD up to a water pipe via tube ? I saw a few vids on youtube about it.
Questions:
How do I connect the PD to a water pipe? Can I connect it straight to the bowl/slide?

I guess those are my two main questions :) I'm pretty new to everything vape-related,coming from "spoons", i'm hoping to conserve my supplies and stay as healthy and happy as possible~!
good vibes to you ::peace:
Im using 1ft of medical tube attached on the stem, just to cool the vapor a bit.:2c:

UrutuBsb,

beachvaper

Purple-Days said:
Beachweed, our Polypropylene Rod is Polypropylene. PP #5 for short. It is not a blend and does not contain anything but Polypropylene. :cool:

Not sure why you bring up Polybrominated diphenyl ethers, or why you would think they have anything to do with the Polypropylene used in the vapor tubes of the Purple-Days Diffuser. :/

Plastic is a very broad term and there are a lot of materials that fall under that name. They are not all the same. :2c:
Thanks Tom. Sorry I went on about the pbde's. Didn't mean to insinuate they were in the plastic you were using. I like to alert people about them since they're so pervasive and most are unaware of their dangers. I guess when I see plastic now I just wonder what chemicals were added in the making of them. Am trying to eliminate them to eliminate the wondering. This article: http://www.womentowomen.com/detoxification/endocrinedisruptors.aspx covers it pretty well in case anyone is curious. The book Silent Spring by Rachel Carson alerted me to potential health effects about 25 years ago but I didn't take much action. Then when I realized I had an auto-immune disorder I wished I had. I have seen that BisphenolA has been found in Polypropylene. That's a endocrine disruptor. But that's not saying it was added to the Polypropylene the tubes were made of. I doubt we can know. I'm skeptical about those soft plastic extender tubes people are using. I know some implicated chemicals are used to make the plastic soft. :peace:

Good luck with your eyes and recovery Tom! Take it easy. :peace:

beachvaper,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Hey PD smile
Questions:
Hey uxxxie.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record to regular FC members but you should definitely check out my experience with attaching a bong to the PD. This thread is so massive it's hard to find all the info.

Will your "high" be weaker. NO! After many months of comparing stem, stem + tubing and stem + tubing + bong, the water filtered method definitely takes the cake. Your hits are thinner, but significantly larger, I have NO problem ghosting a water filtered PD hit, there is absolutely ZERO irritation/heat... you WILL still get the THC effect though and most likely cough :D that's a good sign though.

I am 100% convinced that my method is the best way to water filter your PD. Spend the extra $20 max and get a GG adaptor (the straight Vaporbrothers adaptor works WAYYYYYYY better then the 90 degree bent adaptor, ala 7th floor) + some whip tubing. No upside down PD needed, incredibly intuitive (I can still kill a PD bowl in the same amount of time as stem/direct draw) and just downright enjoyable.

vape.jpg

Chubba,

Purple-Days

Beachweed, I am aware that Bisphenol-A is found in polycarbonate and I am aware of the problems it causes. Maybe you have the names mixed up? Easy to do.

BUT... Polycarbonate is not polypropylene. We use food grade #5 polypropylene not #7 polycarbonate.

If you are going to make claims about polypropylene, it would be good to give references, otherwise it sounds like you have all these sound alike components confused.

Here is the polypropylene molecule.
24xexc9.jpg

Again, it is not a formulation or blend, it is pure 100% FDA grade polypropylene.

Purple-Days,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i wonder about plastic too, here is a piece from Stanford University News that fully supports Tom's comments about polypropylene:

Stanford Report said:
Bisphenol A facts

Bisphenol A is a component of polycarbonate plastic and epoxy resin. Epoxy resins are used to coat metal food cans and bottle tops. Polycarbonate is often used in reusable food and drink containers and in many popular brands of baby bottles, as well as in impact-resistant safety equipment and some medical equipment. Two other common types of plastic that don't contain bisphenol A, polypropylene and polyethylene, are typically cloudy and soft. According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, the estimated production of bisphenol A in the United States in 2004 was approximately 2.3 billion pounds, most of which was used in polycarbonate plastics and resins.
And naturally soft, no extra chemical components required.

Hippie Dickie,

bcleez

Just pulled my 1st stem ever of my brand new PD & my first time vaping. Awesome taste & feeling great!

Great craftmanship! & well worth the wait:)

Ill add more later as i have 2 stems lined up and an epic breakfast to cook :p

bcleez,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Wondering if it is just me, but I just noticed that my car adapter for my PD fits way looser than both my plugs at home and at work. It is noticeably looser, feels like it could easily get pulled out, while the others are a tight fit. had almost 6 months and just now noticing this. faulty car adapter? maybe one with a wrong sized end got in with the others? when compared too my other two, the metal end is a tiny bit shorter than the other two.

DevoTheStrange,

Purple-Days

Type M plugs vary in length (and it makes no difference), the diameter is still 2.1mm, (+/- of course), the next size is 2.5mm and we have never had those and they are very different.

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
be well Tom - your commitment to quality and value is fully recognized and appreciated.

jeffp,
Top Bottom