Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

catlady

One of my tubes is too long to fit in the cleaning bottle, which basically leaves it un-usable if I cannot clean it.

Can someone recommend a similar sized cleaning bottle that is slightly taller (half inch)? I do not want to use a huge cleaning bottle or I will be using way too much ISO.

catlady,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Go to the chemist/pharmacist/drug store catlady, you might not be able to find one that's a perfect fit like the purple, but it will be small enough so you dont waste the ISO.

I only use 1 tube, I just ISO it in the purple every 50 bowls and it's perfect :D

Chubba,

catlady

Chubba said:
Go to the chemist/pharmacist/drug store catlady, you might not be able to find one that's a perfect fit like the purple, but it will be small enough so you dont waste the ISO.

I only use 1 tube, I just ISO it in the purple every 50 bowls and it's perfect :D
I wish I could use only 1 tube.... my cat has already stolen one.... :) fortunately, i think the cats have given up on trying to bite the wire.

catlady,

Purple-Days

Catlady, if the metal wasn't seated to the bottom of the depth stop it might be too long. Set the metal tip on something solid and give it a whack it should go in a bit further and fit the bottle. If you can't get that to work or are uncomfortable doing it, let us know we will fix you up.

Yes, you can order from Jameco.com . The part #10081 is correct. The Universal Regulated 12V supply is also available, #662910 but you need prongs for it. The four insert prong set is #229181 and covers the world.

Availability and waiting times are discussed in the Vapor Lounge in the PD availability thread, keep the mods happy and make those comments there, please.

Thanks for the comments on the new tool in the shop. It isn't really any faster, the cutter still has to work at it's own speed, but it's easier. There is a mechanical advantage and an ergonomic one too. :cool:

Purple-Days,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Tom what wood would you recommend to a user wanting a 2nd PD?

Beauty aside, pure durability (different to cherry though)?

I'm about to move out rural (sooo goddamn rural I'm not even on the postal route) and would love a backup to my only device.

Chubba,

Purple-Days

Chubba, we are no longer making custom PDs.

Life is short, too short, and 80+ hour work weeks are too long.

We are scaling back and custom units are a thing of the past. We are also limiting our international sales, if your flag doesn't have a Union Jack in it's borders, f'get about it. Even then, very limited.

New days, new ways.

Purple-Days,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Oh noes :(

:(:(:(

Guess I'm going to have to attempt to make something myself.

That is very disappointing Tom :( this unit changed my life :(

Argh, goddamnit... I should have acted way sooner, I'm sort of upset :(

Chubba,

josh

I don't think it's that big of a deal Chubba. Not to go to the extreme of trying to make something yourself. If you are going to go to all that hassle there are other vape options. I think Tom's reason is that there is only so much time in a day to devote to the PD and the more time spent doing things like special orders and emailing and what not the less time spent on production. Plus it doesn't help if regular orders are looking at a 2-3 month wait time.

In other news, since I broke my DBV wand I am back to using the PD full time. Two or three tubes and I am higher than a mofo. I love my little wooden friend. With the PD I can make a quarter bag of regs ground into a fine dust last about a week. And, to think, it was only 8 months ago that a quarter bag would get smoked in a day. Saving money is a good thing. The PD as more than paid for itself. Whether you vape regs or better the PD can allow you to stretch your stash (no matter what kind of wood it's made from).

josh,

DJDIZZY

catlady said:
One of my tubes is too long to fit in the cleaning bottle, which basically leaves it un-usable if I cannot clean it.

Can someone recommend a similar sized cleaning bottle that is slightly taller (half inch)? I do not want to use a huge cleaning bottle or I will be using way too much ISO.
I honestly just use a ziplock lunch baggy. It's airtight so no ISO evaporates. I usually soak one while using the others and rotate every week or two.

DJDIZZY,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
hey catlady - i didn't search extensively but the first thing that pops into my mind is plastic test tubes - something maybe like this
52089401.jpg

jeffp,

josh

The newest edition to my PD family. A front shot.

And now from the side.

And from the back.

And you remember my first one.

So now meet the twins.

And a side shot.

And from the back.

And a back angled shot.

And a front angled shot.

I think I will name them Thing 1 and Thing 2. Yes, yes...Thing 1 has the logo and Thing 2 does not.

And a special thank you to Tom and Pammy. Thing 1 was/is a, well, thing of beauty and Thing 2 is equally as beautiful. It's like with twins when they are both pretty similar but not exact however you don't know which one is more appealing. :)

I do have a question for those with multiple PD's. So Thing 2 is my back up either in case I should ever need a 2nd PD in rotation (which is highly unlikely) or, god forbid, if something were to ever happen to Thing 1. My thought was just leaving it unplugged until I have a need, but I know a very tiny percentage of PD's have had various issues. Would you all recommend to let the new PD run for a certain period of time (say 24 or 48 hours) to ensure the wood doesn't split and that it heats up ok since it is brand new, then unplug it so that if I ever need it in the future I know it won't have an issue that I am just finding out about at that time?

josh,

aterphasma

Good, proper names for such proper tools. I really like seeing the comparison between the old cherry and the new. Really shows just how much darker cherry gets as it ages. Nice. :cool:

As to the warm up/break in idea, I would say yes. I always break new things in for a few days just to make sure nothing's wrong off the bat. The chances for problems with something as well made as the PD get lower pretty damn quickly. :2c:

aterphasma,

max

Out to lunch
catlady said:

Until you find an appropriate size bottle (or instead of), you can clean by just capping one end with a finger or something, pouring some ISO in, (capping the other end of course) and shaking the tube a bit. I've found that you don't really have to soak it in ISO, especially if you clean fairly often. As with many things, frequent cleaning makes for easier cleaning. :)

max,

masejl12

I do have a question for those with multiple PD's. So Thing 2 is my back up either in case I should ever need a 2nd PD in rotation (which is highly unlikely) or, god forbid, if something were to ever happen to Thing 1. My thought was just leaving it unplugged until I have a need, but I know a very tiny percentage of PD's have had various issues. Would you all recommend to let the new PD run for a certain period of time (say 24 or 48 hours) to ensure the wood doesn't split and that it heats up ok since it is brand new, then unplug it so that if I ever need it in the future I know it won't have an issue that I am just finding out about at that time?
Either way its still under 3 year warranty :D

masejl12,

Purple-Days

Yes, Josh, if you are gonna stash it, I would run it in several days. We use Kiln Dried Cherry so there is no real 'break-in' period, but there have been, as you mentioned, a few that had 'defective' wood. No way to really tell without a couple of days under heat. In every case that I can remember, true cracking shows up in a day or two. We run them up to temp and check them, but ...

Yeah, PDs will still roll out to Vapenow at the normal rate. Maybe a little faster flow, as life allows... But life has to be fun... I didn't start making vapes to make a vape company. They were for us and friends. It sorta snowballed and ended up here. Time to go to Plan F, keep making PDs but in a reasonable work week, keep Vapenow and their customers happy, and enjoy some time with my family (my choice :cool: ).

Purple-Days,

t00fatt

Has anyone been able to find a "2.1mm x 5.5mm" 90 degree plug? I haven't gotten my PD yet, so I haven't started looking. Seems that a 90 degree plug would be the best choice, at least in my situation.

t00fatt,

Purple-Days

The 90 degree plugs will drape the cord and strain relief toward the ground (gravity) and when you set the unit down you will be bumping the strain relief every time. This will lead to cord / plug failure. You can also break the power jack with repeated abuse and will end up needing repair. Power jack replacement from breakage is $35. Broken isn't defective. (BTW that includes return shipping and an extensive rebuild...)

It's designed with a straight plug for a reason. ;)

Purple-Days,

sotero

I've been using a 90-degree plug for a few months now and I don't see what you mean by bumping the "strain relief" when setting the unit down. Whenever I'm not holding the unit I simply rotate the cord to the side instead of hanging down. I'm worried now that you mention breaking the power jack.

sotero,

josh

sotero said:
I've been using a 90-degree plug for a few months now and I don't see what you mean by bumping the "strain relief" when setting the unit down. Whenever I'm not holding the unit I simply rotate the cord to the side instead of hanging down. I'm worried now that you mention breaking the power jack.
I see what you mean sotero, but I think where it could cause an issue is say if you had stepped on the cord causing the power plug to pull out. With a straight plug the pressure is coming head on in relation to the plug going into the PD so it just pulls right out whereas with the 90-degree plug the pressure would come from the side causing it to pull out with pressure coming from an angle in relation the the plug being sitted in the PD. I hope that made sense. Either way if you are careful and do not get yourself in that type of scenario then it wouldn't matter.

In other news, I had forgot how nice new cherry smells. Got Thing 2 (see reference in post with pics above) heating up and the smell of new wood is oh so sweet.

Have a Purple weekend everyone. :)

josh,

Purple-Days

He says,"Whenever I'm not holding the unit I simply rotate..." sure you do. :) But, not everyone else will be as careful as you... :D :2c: :lol:

ps. post 3882 has the link to the International power supply with a heavy cord. You also need the plug insert for your grid needs. But, heavy hits on it's strain relief will assure failure, just the same.

Some folks drive Willy's, some destroy new Jeeps. ;)

Purple-Days,

xaustinx

Just out of curiosity Tom, whats a good estimate (or exact number if you keep track) of PD's out there in the world?

xaustinx,
Top Bottom