Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

ballin1

It is ON, people! I got notified that I'm next on the wait list. Put in my order today for the original cherry with the logo and the purple bottom (the paisely looks pretty tight, though.).

Now, do I have to get a grinder? I read the grinder thread and it seems like I gotta do a bunch of research again! Hole size, grinder size, screen size, etc, etc. Can I just crush dried herb with my fingers? Does that not work as well with the PD? I have noticed that everyone suggests using a fine grind with the PD. Fingers can't do the job? If not...anyone suggest a good, basic grinder that's affordable? Heard mention of chromium crusher, mixnball, kelly's....god, its like I'm starting over with the vape research!

ballin1,

ILoveRadiohead!

ballin1 said:
Now, do I have to get a grinder? I read the grinder thread and it seems like I gotta do a bunch of research again! Hole size, grinder size, screen size, etc, etc. Can I just crush dried herb with my fingers? Does that not work as well with the PD? I have noticed that everyone suggests using a fine grind with the PD. Fingers can't do the job? If not...anyone suggest a good, basic grinder that's affordable?
Fingers will work just as good as any other method for getting herb ready for PD use. The only draw back to fingers is that you they can get sticky and you can get material stuck under your finger nails if you are really going to town. However, washing your hands is an easy remedy to this problem and fingers are the cheapest solution to the grinder problem.

Other than fingers you can also use a scissors and a glass or a coffee grinder, both inexpensive but effective methods.

Next you can optionally step it up to any of the plastic or metal grinders. The only benefit to using one of these is the ease-of-use and clean up factors or if you use one with a screen you can collect pollen. Although as Tom mentioned its essentially taking out the potent stuff so you can add it in later. Not required or necessary by any means but some people enjoy doing it that way.

The Herb Grinder thread has some good recommendations. http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=19&p=1

Again the dryer the herb the more effective the vaporizer becomes.

ILoveRadiohead!,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Heh.... no worries dude. And yes, in my opinion, a grinder is practically required. It's too much work to break it up with your hands each time, not to mention all those good trichs are being lost on your fingers... :(

I'm gonna recommend this grinder because of a few reasons; you don't want to spend alot, KGP is great, and it should be the perfect size. :)

edit// or if you want save a few bucks and get the smaller one, here you go.

SpiralArchitect,

bongoman

Ballin, fingers do fine, but as they say on the MixnBall website, "we understand that preparation is a pleasure". Some of us get a little fetishistic about our accessories :)

But seriously a grinder can be pretty helpful especially if you a regular toker. You don't need anything fancy - a 2 piece without holes allows you to keep grinding until the consistency is fine enough.

bongoman,

Beezleb

ballin1 said:
It is ON, people! I got notified that I'm next on the wait list. Put in my order today for the original cherry with the logo and the purple bottom (the paisely looks pretty tight, though.).

Now, do I have to get a grinder? I read the grinder thread and it seems like I gotta do a bunch of research again! Hole size, grinder size, screen size, etc, etc. Can I just crush dried herb with my fingers? Does that not work as well with the PD? I have noticed that everyone suggests using a fine grind with the PD. Fingers can't do the job? If not...anyone suggest a good, basic grinder that's affordable? Heard mention of chromium crusher, mixnball, kelly's....god, its like I'm starting over with the vape research!
hehe, no kidding. I do recommend that you get a grinder with a kief catcher to make those mids better.

Beezleb,

max

Out to lunch
a good, basic grinder that's affordable?
The KGP grinders that Spiral linked are very good. I've got one of his CNC grinders and it's excellent. I also have one of his 1 3/4" regular (not all CNC made) grinders and it's also a very good one ($10). The nice thing about it is that it has 3mm holes for a slightly finer grind. His 'new style' 2.5" grinder also gives you the option of getting either 4,5, or 6mm holes. Just about every other screen grinder on the market has 5mm holes (or close to it).

A simple two piece like bongoman suggested can also give you a fine grind, you just lose the kief separation. And stickstones likes his $15 coffee grinder he just got, for a nice fine grind.

max,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
yeah, max, nothing like a nice fine grind!

...I was gonna chime in with the coffee grinder thing again. I really like it. My smartstone is going to get packed away soon. If you've got the room in your setup for a 7 inch tall grinder, it is great. I can get that stuff down to just the right grind with the coffee grinder.

ballin...I have some very well cured stuff here that is light and crispy. I was using that in the PD by crushing it up with my fingers while it was still in the bag. Then just stick the tube in the bottom of the bag and suck some of it up.

I'm telling' all you guys...after using a nice $40 grinder for the last year, I like my $15 coffee grinder much better...especially for the PD.

Since Tom likes making these things for next to nothing, I think I will try to convince him to include a coffee grinder with it as well! :lol:

stickstones,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Not too sure I agree with the kief catcher making buds not has potent. Usually when you crush dried herbs the kief will still fall off and collect on the bottom of whatever container you are using to store it. Unless you wipe it down after each use there's still gonna be a kief build up somewhere. I like to think the kief catcher gets some of what i would normally be losing when grinding it up with scissors and a cup or my fingers. Dunno, maybe it just me. Coffee grinders do a nice job but its hard to find a cheap all metal one. I dont like plastic tops since I always ended up having to scrape it for the kief build up and im not a fan of vaporising plastic particles...

Skunkypete,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Skunkypete said:
Coffee grinders do a nice job but its hard to find a cheap all metal one. I dont like plastic tops since I always ended up having to scrape it for the kief build up and im not a fan of vaporising plastic particles...
Those crystals will probably get stuck on there pretty good if I don't clean it regularly, you think? I'm sure it will just wipe clean if I do it often enough.

stickstones,

ballin1

one quick question...mixnball or kelly's? Both are under $30, so I can go for either...

yeah..this is the pd thread..but since I'm gonna be using the grinder specifically with the pd...:p

ballin1,

SHED7

does a lot of people notice any smell that comes with the purple days becasue i was in an rv that just reaks of bud wen im smokin there but im going back up to college now n i wanna use it in my dorm
so is that possible

SHED7,

max

Out to lunch
i was in an rv that just reaks of bud wen im smokin there
There's a world of difference between the smell of mj smoke vs. vapor, especially when you're smoking joints, bongs, etc. that give a lot of sidestream smoke and/or big exhales. If stealth is a concern, there's nothing better than the PD IMO, especially if you're careful to limit the size of your hits.

max,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Hi everyone , got my PD about a month ago , I love it and have nothing but praise for Tom and Pam's work. Incredibly enough due to it's big punch for such a small bowl I believe it's actually lowered my tolerance since I use a lot less then I would with say my SSV :o . That's quite amazing :lol:. Anyways vaping with water/ice has kind of turned me into a bit of a pussy. So after an all nighter with a straight pipe PD I had to jerry rig something cause my lungs were telling me to hold up a bit. Then it dawned on me that i could probably hook it up to a little bubbler to bring down the vapor temp a bit. I kind of posted these in jest in the "Anything comparable to the Herborizer (but cheaper)?" since people were recommending the PD to him but I got a request to repost it in here so here goes (and with captions as an added bonus!).

1- Bought a small straight glass stem at a local headshop , cost me 3 or 4$ Cut a little piece of my SSV tubing

2- insert the stem in bubbler

3- add the tubing over it leaving about 1/4 inch of extra tubing

4- Take a tube and fill it :D I use the stab method

5- Hook it up to the bubbler

6- Take a hit

7- Exhale :ko:

Skunkypete,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
That's pretty fuckin cool there, skunkypete!

How are the hits? Are they any different regarding thickness, efficiency, taste, etc?

stickstones,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
stickstones said:
How are the hits? Are they any different regarding thickness, efficiency, taste, etc?
I mostly find it smoother and easier to hit. I can draw fast without making the PD whistle and that a big plus for me. The cold water really smooth out the hit and allow me to vape more :uhoh: Having a carb at my disposal can be helpful too. I've been noticing some vapor condensation on the glass stem , thats nice too :cool: . No perceivable difference in taste for me and I don't think it's possible to make the PD more efficient then it already is ;)

Skunkypete,

prk

max said:
i was in an rv that just reaks of bud wen im smokin there
There's a world of difference between the smell of mj smoke vs. vapor, especially when you're smoking joints, bongs, etc. that give a lot of sidestream smoke and/or big exhales. If stealth is a concern, there's nothing better than the PD IMO, especially if you're careful to limit the size of your hits.
Cannot agree enough. Vapor smell seems to dissipate very quickly, especially if one cracks a window or door. I have literally been in the same room with others, and not had them notice I was puffing away on the PD. That said, I wouldn't take this to an extreme - anyone will smell vapor if you blow it in their face! I use the PD almost every day in a college dorm room, and I don't think my roommate has any idea about my mj habit at all (though I usually wait until he's out of the room to fire her up!)

Lingering vapor smell should hardly be a large concern of yours, IME.

prk,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
I have not tested this with anyone but vapeing has a completely different smell, i dont know if i would have recognized it and associated it with cannabis if i had never smelled it before.

Survivalism,
Top Bottom