Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Purple-Days

Cherry does seem ideal. The grain structure of the Prunus family seems well suited to our purposes too. Specific gravity is a good guidline on choosing a wood but the grain needs to be pretty stable too, We have tried a few woods and they get discussed from yime to time in this thread, but the basics are No Softwoods and No Dense woods. Soft woods break down and Dense woods don't insulate (well enough).

So if you have a wood species in mind... Anyway I have been using my new Ash unit and I am very happy with it so far. Ash is the wood used in most (all?) Big League Baseball bats. Louisville Slugger uses Ash and I always liked the distinct grain. The PD looks like the barrel end of a bat. Nice childhood memories.

Maple seems to be a good wood, no odor or other quirks, but we are yet to test it. I have some that is figured and looks pretty neat, but as I said it is yet to be tested under heat. Walnut for any following along seems to have the typical walnut odor, not bad but it too needs to go under heat and see if the odor diminishes.

Max, I forgot why that was one of the two most famous XXXs. 99 and 47 hundredths percent pure. Just like brass. :lol:

Purple-Days,

Longburn

stickstones; thanks, it a great site/thread

Tom; No I didn't have a particular wood in mind, but I do like wood which has interesting grain. Ash is nice, I have a great pool cue that is Ash. I am not very familiar though with different woods and their grains, only that they are all unique. Some wood and parts of wood can have a quality similar to semi precious stone called something like cats eye/tigers eye. I have a coffee table made from a wonderful piece of Kauri wood (swamp kauri) that was recovered from the zero oxygen enviroment of a peat swamp then dried for 2 years on land and then several months in a kiln before the humidity was right to be worked, it's weighs a ton but looks great with really complex golden browns and kauri gum running thru it. It came from the root section where I guess all the forces and weight create what looks like shimmering pressure ridges/swirls in the grain, wood from further up the trunkl can be quite plain in comparison. It was carbon dated to between 36,000 and 42,000 years old. Similarly I like all I read about the PD. I read somewhere but couldn't find it again that you were currently testing out some other varieties and hopefully upon request could get a pic of the blocks to see the different looks. Altho the most important thing would be that the wood chosen contributes the maximum to the functional use!

Longburn,

Longburn

Kauri stills grow in New Zealand, it was favoured for ship's masts in the old days, they are the biggest trees here and there are still a few remaining that are supposed to be over 2000 years old. The swamp Kauri is still being dug up today by craftspeople alerted by farmers whose machinery has run over and snagged onto the buried wood, when it comes to the surface the leaves and seed cones are often still green, altho in the air they oxidise to brown, one theory is that huge forests of Kauri were sheared off at the ground by advancing ice sheets. It is amazing and wonderful to see such wood that still looks like it was recently milled, a PD in such swamp Kauri would be special.

Thanks, I'll try to dig out a pic to show you the grain and get back to you.

Longburn,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Yes longburn...I think we all need a pic of your table after that description! 36K to 42K years old! Is that the best our technology can do?

stickstones,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
^ I think he gave a stat one time like "too many" I'm interested in that stat as well...its all up to tom tho. :)

So before I begin this statement...let me tell you how pleased I am with this lil' 'mistake' that my ;pd; has been giving me.

ok so recently my wall wart died. it wasn't out of the blue because I'm a rugged fucker with my PD :ko: so i can only assume the wall wart was dead because of me. Yes i attempted getting new wires/m type plug to retro-fit a new homemade cord but, alas that only worked for so long until it gave out completely...let me tell you people(fuckers) that I went a whole week and a half without the PD!!! shame on me because I was really feeling a lost connection between me and my wood :p

I broke down and got a 12V *1500mA* wall wart. I remember that the ;pd; runs on a min. of 1000mA(correct me if I'm wrong). ever since the PD came back into my life with room for 500mA of extra leg room, it has been giving MUCH larger clouds. my vapor duff is COMPLETELY duffed! not black but i cant get any more vapors out of it in my E unless i go past 225C. as it is the herb is pretty dark(compared to the duff the PD used to give me) but not out of the vapor range. the only part that gets black is the top of the bowl that gets close to the metal barred heat exchanger...other than that its a pretty good vapor, but unlike the ;pd; :|

possibly my unit has been running on a lower temp this whole time...but i HIGHLY doubt that. and i even remember Tom saying the extra mA power wouldnt raise the heat.

help? Only worried because I'm afraid it wont last as long as the "regular" units..that is if my unit is irregular at all....dont want it to be 4 years later and the PD craps out on me due to overheating. :uhoh:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

Frickr

maybe your wallwart was defective from the getgo. every bowl i get out of my pd its all brown, with a little black on the top like your describing above.

Frickr,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
^exactly like you just said...a lil bit of black on the top....not like a FAT top coating of black....just a smidge but more than usual.

there is defiantly a difference between this wall wart and that one because 4 other guys plus me have noted that the ;pd; has been getting warmer

ahhah this is exactly what AoZ has been dreaming for :lol: a warmer PD

Hennessy1414,

Frickr

anyone with a non contact thermomitor? that way there would be concrete proof if the pd gets warmer or if it just stays the same with a larger transformer.

Frickr,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
unfortunately I would need to own an infrared thermometer for that to work....at least two people with ;pd;'s would need to run the test with an infrared thermometers for us to get any conclusive answers...

I have been needing one of those things tho..they are really good for growing because you can get exact leaf temperature while the ladies are under the lights...a regular thermometer gauge could read 75F room temp...but leaf temp in the light probably breaks 85F...not optimal plant temperatures. the infrared thermometer can save you all of the guess and check pains growing can give you. :ninja:

Hennessy1414,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I love that door Tom. Hopefully I get to walk through it some day and check out where you give birth to all these beauties.... I took three years of woodshop so maybe I could help out, sweep if I must.... haha.

;pd;:peace:

SpiralArchitect,

Frickr

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451

30 dollars for one. plus or minus 3 degrees but still get you within a good ballpark. for that price i think it would be worth it. i think too for that kind of test the same therm would have to be used just so there is no variations in models. anyone with access to more then one pd and a therm and a few different transformers? maybe an 800mw, the standard 1000, and maybe a 1500.

also see the temp with the car adaptor to see if there is any varience. if i wasnt so broke right now i would go to the toolcrib and buy a thermometer

Frickr,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Hennessy1414 said:
So before I begin this statement...let me tell you how pleased I am with this lil' 'mistake' that my ;pd; has been giving me.

ok so recently my wall wart died. it wasn't out of the blue because I'm a rugged fucker with my PD :ko: so i can only assume the wall wart was dead because of me. Yes i attempted getting new wires/m type plug to retro-fit a new homemade cord but, alas that only worked for so long until it gave out completely...let me tell you people(fuckers) that I went a whole week and a half without the PD!!! shame on me because I was really feeling a lost connection between me and my wood :p

I broke down and got a 12V *1500mA* wall wart. I remember that the ;pd; runs on a min. of 1000mA(correct me if I'm wrong). ever since the PD came back into my life with room for 500mA of extra leg room, it has been giving MUCH larger clouds. my vapor duff is COMPLETELY duffed! not black but i cant get any more vapors out of it in my E unless i go past 225C. as it is the herb is pretty dark(compared to the duff the PD used to give me) but not out of the vapor range. the only part that gets black is the top of the bowl that gets close to the metal barred heat exchanger...other than that its a pretty good vapor, but unlike the ;pd; :|

possibly my unit has been running on a lower temp this whole time...but i HIGHLY doubt that. and i even remember Tom saying the extra mA power wouldnt raise the heat.

help? Only worried because I'm afraid it wont last as long as the "regular" units..that is if my unit is irregular at all....dont want it to be 4 years later and the PD craps out on me due to overheating. :uhoh:

With the stock transformer (still going strong after 7 months) I can cook bowls so the top looks black/scorched, it takes lighting and magnification to see that it's not scorched, just very dark brown, almost caramelized looking. I'm sure you can achieve it with practice. One of the great things about the PD, and really any direct draw vape, is the ability to use different draw techniques to vary the temp and achieve the desired level of 'doneness'.

To say that you're getting "MUCH larger clouds" with the assumed increased temperature might be a stretch. If it is indeed hotter, of course you're going to get more opaque clouds. Take a flame to your bowl and you'll get even more opaque. Kind of defeats the purpose no?

Increasing the perfect (imo) temperature of the PD, possibly voiding your warranty, and negating the positive aspects of vaporizing to produce perceived 'bigger' clouds is kind of misguided imo. The PD's bowl is small and there's only so much vapor a small bowl is capable of producing. That's not to say it's not capable of relatively huge clouds user videos will back that up. But if you want much bigger VAPOR clouds, use a vape with a bigger bowl. :2c:

If you really just want a hotter PD (shame on you :p) I'd think using an insulating sleeve like a can cozy might be a better option.

vtac,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
valid points...valid points vtac

1. why would my warranty get voided? i didnt violate anything

2. ok the term much larger clouds is a stretch...yes I do get a lil bit more vapor in every hit nowadays but your right to the fact that they arnt on the same level as the SSV clouds or the extreme clouds or any other large bowl vape

3. and no im not "defeating the purpose" the wall-wart I had before gave lighter colored herb. therefor I would save it separately and vape it at hotter temps later down the line once greens were low..or i wanted a knockout buzz. :ko:

so if anything this "new" PD is saving me time. and also giving me slightly larger hits

quite interested to hear what Tom says...ill gladly send him my unit for inspection if there's a flake of doubt in what I say.

so :p vtac thats what I have to say to that (:lmao:)

:peace: all you people in ;pd; land

Hennessy1414,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Hey Henny, I mentioned in a post a while back that it's not the mA rating that's giving you different temps. The thing is, all these transformers and wallwarts put out slightly different voltages due to variations in manufacturing. For most purposes +/-10% is probably acceptable, and the wallwarts are QC'ed to fall within that spec. It seems to me from my limited experience and reading about the exeperiences of others, that the PD is fairly voltage sensitive. As such you'll experience a different effect with only small variations in voltage, so it's best to try to get a good quality power supply that will give you the correct voltage. Above a certain point, (I think Tom said 800mA) the mA rating doesn't matter.

hazy,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Well, with pretty much any product, using non-standard parts will void the warranty, especially something used for the purpose of running the product out of spec. I don't know the deal with your transformer... I do remember Tom stating that certain variances were ok. Obviously I don't speak on behalf of Purple-Days.

Being health conscious I've always been a fan of lower temp vaping, I think it's a common newbie mistake to judge hits solely by the visibility of the exhaled vapor. As we know, the right lighting can reveal massive vapor clouds, while lack thereof can result in no visible vapor for the same exhale. Of course you're welcome to vape at any temperature you like including borderline combustion. To me that's borderline defeating the purpose. :p

My point is the PD runs the perfect temperature and to fiddle with that makes you a bad person.

vtac,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
touche'

...but you fall short on a few points....you make it seem like I was DRIVEN to get a new wall wart to make my PD hotter...from what i remember in this thread you can only do that by getting a 13V wall-wart..who knows if that even works tho

yes this is why I posted this to bring to toms attention...I have two awesome sources for finding vapor clouds...one 27W 6500K fluorescent "day light" desk lamp..and one 20W halogen desk lamp..oh yea hand sunlight when the times right

I love hitting the PD.....exhaling my hit..and beginning talking to a friend. I see wisps of vapor ses out of my mouth while i talk...it reminds me of smoking and taking a FAT deep bong rip....this happened even before I got the new wall-wart. ;pd; is pure purple greatness :cool:

if you dont kno what ses means...here ya go...replace smoke with vapor for those that notice things of that nature
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ses

oh ya and if im a bad man at all...im bad for not getting the power supply from Tom&Pam. gotta support our 'locals' if ya hear what im sayen..next time next time :)

Hennessy1414,

dream

Holy long thread batman.

I started my journey in search of a used cano a few days ago, that search got me looking at the E which lead me here, after getting through most of that E thread I decided to check out the PD. It sounded as though the PD would better suit my needs. I only got to about the 25th page before I decided I needed to start emailing about it's availability. By page 40 I decided to pull the trigger in hopes of snagging the last one in stock from VapeNow.com. Still uncertain whether I did or not. Fingers crossed.

My vape experience isn't too thorough. Played with the vapir's enough to know I don't want one. Recently I was staying with a friend who had a classic cano that was left on and used throughout the day. It even helped me to quit tobacco. Now that I'm away from it I'm back to constantly smoking throughout the day (still no tobacco) and I can feel it taking its toll on me.

Regardless of anything else I'm all about the principles and earth/health conscious approach Tom and Pam seem to display. It does feel like keeping it in the family and I don't even have one yet.

Peace

dream,

Purple-Days

Hazy is absolutely right. It's the Volts. Amps don't matter as long as they are adequate.

An example: plug your toaster into a 120 volt - 15 amp circuit, make toast. Plug into a 120V 20 amp circuit, make toast. Same results. Change the voltage and your results will vary. Higher voltages through the same resistance will increase the heat. Pretty simple.

It's not the Amps, it's the volts. And as Hazy says the voltage can vary from on wart to another by a bit. 1/2 a volt one way or the other would show a notable temperature change.

These AC to AC transformers function by induction. Very simple stuff. And 120 to 12 volts is easy math: 1000 windings on one and 100 on the other. And these are wrapped by machine, so variations in the number of windings will change the output. And variations from one manufacturer to another are pretty certain. These are un-regulated supplies we are talking about and input volyage will vary the output also.

The PD draws under 700mA (that's milli-Amperes) so any power supply in the 12V range with 1000mA capacity is fine and that 1500mA is too. Just like the toaster,plugging into a higher capacity circuit doesn't change the toast. Hope that clears it up a little.

Bring it on Spiral, Sounds like you could teach me a thing or two. Get down here, let some chips fly and make your own PD. Or just sit around the fireplace and get vaked. :cool:

Purple-Days,

lwien

So, how many degrees of fluctuation can these voltage variances cause with the supplied warts?

lwien,

Purple-Days

With the supplied warts, it seems pretty darn constant. We get them all from Jameco, a top electronics component supplier. Part #10081. They are UL listed as mentioned. Not sure of the manufacturers tolerances but, IMO the Jameco warts are all very similar.

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
dream said:
I started my journey in search of a used cano a few days ago, that search got me looking at the E which lead me here, after getting through most of that E thread I decided to check out the PD. It sounded as though the PD would better suit my needs. I only got to about the 25th page before I decided I needed to start emailing about it's availability. By page 40 I decided to pull the trigger in hopes of snagging the last one in stock from VapeNow.com. Still uncertain whether I did or not. Fingers crossed.
Welcome to the forum dream. You're not the first to start out thinking 'Volcano' and end up as a PD owner. Vapenow is indeed waiting on a new shipment from Tom and Pammy. Feel free to email vapenow (admin@vapenow.com) to see if your order was timely or not. They're usually good for a fairly quick response. However long it takes to get a warmed up unit in your hands, I think you'll decide it was worth the wait. ;)

max,

roney

max said:
dream said:
Welcome to the forum dream. You're not the first to start out thinking 'Volcano' and end up as a PD owner. Vapenow is indeed waiting on a new shipment from Tom and Pammy. Feel free to email vapenow (admin@vapenow.com) to see if your order was timely or not. They're usually good for a fairly quick response. However long it takes to get a warmed up unit in your hands, I think you'll decide it was worth the wait. ;)
My goodness! only today i was thinking of making the leap into Volcano territory and decided to first come here and check what the most knowledgable people on this planet in relation to vaporisers, had to say...well i soon ended up here (skipped a LOT of the 81 pages - will read 'em in due course)..BUT i am already sold on the PD...sounds like an extraordianry piece of kit. and will suit my needs perfectly. and the designer/builder seems like a kinda extraordinary guy himself. just from reading his posts i want to get one!

peace all. :)

roney,
Top Bottom