Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

josh

I just couldn't wait any longer. I was going to order a Purple Days directly from Tom and Pammy last week, but they only do Paypal and since I updated my address and don't have a home phone I am waiting on a letter from Paypal so I can verify my new address. Also since Tom is now several weeks out I figured if VapeNow has one in stock I would speed the process up a bit. I can't wait to get my new Cherry unit. If I end up liking it as much as I believe I will, I am going to see about getting a Ti Tree one from Tom along with some extra BuzzButter and maybe some extra tubes.

josh,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
max said:
Seems like the #1 complaint people pop up with for the PD is the 30 min. warmup
I don't understand why people get so hung up on the warm up time of the PD. I only ever switch mine on when I vape, and I tend to know hours beforehand if I'm gonna have a sesh. Maybe I'm getting old, but the time it takes to warm up disappears really quickly and before I know it I'm ready to go. I always let it warm up for at least 45 min, and I don't actually need to time it, I just put my hand on the top and I can tell if it's reached the right temperature. This warm up time "issue" sounds bad in theory, but doesn't really matter in practice.

lwien said:
"leaving it on means using it up" is very much up for debate. There are many in the electronics field that believe that the fluctuating temperatures of turning something on and off is MORE detrimental than a constant temperature level of just leaving it on 24/7
As far as "using up" the PD is concerned, it doesn't matter if it's left on for long periods or switched on and off. While it might be true for light bulbs (delicate filament) and complex electronic devices (it's usually power supply capacitors that shit themselves first), the power resistor used in the PD won't get stressed in the same way. It's a different type of component which is inherently more robust.

stickstones said:
I am thinking of ways to extend the vapor path
Have you seen the pic I posted here? As I mentioned you can use longer lengths, and the narrower tube slows down the draw a little, which I find is an advantage. Also, the volume of air in the tube is fairly small, so it won't mess with your vapour/air ratio as much as a wider tube.

Frickr said:
140 bowls out of an 8th is outragious
I have to agree with you here. I'm not sure what others are doing to get this figure, but I'm getting half this amount, ie 0.05g per dose. I've got some accurate scales, and I'm weighing the bud BEFORE I vape it, then I count the number of doses I get out of it. I use the "suck it up" method to load the tube. My results are pretty consistent.

hazy,

max

Out to lunch
I'm not sure what others are doing to get this figure, but I'm getting half this amount, ie 0.05g per dose. I've got some accurate scales, and I'm weighing the bud BEFORE I vape it
But of course you weigh it before vaping. Just common sense, right? Early on in the thread, I explain exactly how I arrived at an average bowl figure. I used 3 different varieties of herb, and used at least 10 bowls per type to get an average. Even with the most accurate scale, you have to weigh a number of bowls to get a good average figure. And I qualified it further here:

"jklasd wrote:
but going by what i have read, it seems as if the stem for the PD only holds.02g

.02g is an average (and on the light side at that), not the capacity. My first testing session to approximate the average PD bowl used three different varieties I think, and I packed them loosely (for good airflow) but to the top, or close to it. The average was about .025g. To get a measurement for 'average bowl' it takes a scale accurate to .01g, and weighing out multiple bowls. I use 10, for a good quantity and easy calculation.

But the average can vary quite a bit due to factors like consistency, moisture content, and the individual's personal preference. I can also load ten bowls and get an average of .04-.05g (tested that too). Granted that's a pretty packed bowl, with dry weed of a fine consistency, but I've vaped bowls this size many times. It's too packed for really good airflow, but you can certainly work with it. So for some PD owners .04g could well be a better average than .025. There's certainly a wide weight range possible, and it's a big factor in how it hits.

The PD has the smallest of bowls, and you can top it off, so it's understandable that people want to know how much it holds. But any one PD tube can contain anywhere from .01g (or less?) to .05 or a little more. You could probably cram .07g of powder in it (a future test? ), but at some point (.05 I'd say) adding any more isn't practical. 05 is pretty crammed-I can get a lot of hits, but it's too tightly packed for comfortable draws, and a big amount, even with the PD bowl, always ends up compromising the taste."
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=485

With the dry, finely ground herb I'm using presently, a packed bowl is probably the .05g you're getting. But I find that much to be a little too well packed for my taste-too many hits required, taste wise, to clear it. I do question that you're consistently getting .05g with the suck up method, but it's certainly possible with some good 'sucks' and a fine consistency. But with numbers this small, and not knowing what scale you're using or how many 'weighings' you're doing to get an average, it's not really worth worrying about. You certainly can't question numbers this small (either .025 or .05) without using much more rigid testing standards than anyone has used to this point. Even though the PD is surely the easiet vape with which to measure consumption, it's still best not to quote numbers. 140 bowls from an eighth is just as valid as 70. I think we've certainly established that the average person will use less herb with the PD than with any other vape, no matter how much is really in the bowl.

max,

sethhobrin

Just want to confirm that the PD is ok to be left on indefinately? My buddy has one and never unplugs it. Its been going for weeks.

This ok?

sethhobrin,

Purple-Days

Of course any calculations of operating cost are going to be based on rates in your area, but that figure seems like a decent average. And 8 Watts is a decent figure to base those calculations on.

For the really tech minded, it's about 25 BTU/h. :lol:

Oops, you got in while I was posting this.

YES it's alrigfht, you won't use it up and it is safe. Our's stay on 24/7, at least 2 of them.

Purple-Days,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
max said:
With the dry, finely ground herb I'm using presently, a packed bowl is probably the .05g you're getting. But I find that much to be a little too well packed for my taste-too many hits required, taste wise, to clear it. I do question that you're consistently getting .05g with the suck up method, but it's certainly possible with some good 'sucks' and a fine consistency. But with numbers this small, and not knowing what scale you're using or how many 'weighings' you're doing to get an average, it's not really worth worrying about. You certainly can't question numbers this small (either .025 or .05) without using much more rigid testing standards than anyone has used to this point. Even though the PD is surely the easiet vape with which to measure consumption, it's still best not to quote numbers. 140 bowls from an eighth is just as valid as 70. I think we've certainly established that the average person will use less herb with the PD than with any other vape, no matter how much is really in the bowl.
I'm certainly not questioning the fact that the PD is efficient, it's just that I keep seeing this 0.025 gram figure quoted all over the place, and I'm simply not getting that. This may also be the case for many users, but they haven't done the numbers. Double the amount is a big difference in my opinion. It's not that I feel ripped off or anything, I just like reality.

I've got digital scales that weigh my reference weight accurately, so I don't see a problem there. I grind up about half a gram at a time (using my MNB grinder), and dump it into a tiny bowl to weigh it (and yes I do know how to use the tare button). Each time I load a tube I mark it on a piece of paper. Once I've vaped that batch I count the marks and divide the weight by that number. I repeat the same process over and over. Same result each time. Examples: 0.4g = 8 doses, 0.5g = 10 doses, 0.3g = 6 doses. I've even got to the point now that I can see how many doses I've got left just by looking at the ground herb. Throughout my "career" as a user, I have always treated the stuff like gold, making sure I don't misplace even the tiniest speck.

The stuff I've got is very dry and finely ground. I use the suck method to load the tube, that way I can't inadvertently cram more into the tube, so I get a consistent dose. If it were more loosely packed than this, I'm afraid the herb would fall out. Maybe others are able to somehow more loosely pack the tube, and I'll see if I can do the same to prove you right.

However I think it is entirely appropriate to question this often-quoted consumption figure, as my experiences tell a different story and are as valid a result as anyone's.

hazy,

Purple-Days

Just to make it very clear.

Official Dis-Claimer:

Nobody at Purple-Days Diffusers has ever made any claims about load weight. We do not own a scale and see no need for having one. :cool:

I can only give dimensions, others can claim what they will and I have no way to know if those claims are accurate (and don't repeat them).
I certainly can't police the internet for crazy-ness or lurk in every thread or forum. This is my only haunt.

Heck, I don't even make efficiency claims as I have only tried a couple of vape types. How would I know? :peace: :2c: :/

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
I keep seeing this 0.025 gram figure quoted all over the place
That's not gonna change, human nature being what it is. I don't like it either, as far as being 'written in stone', and the post I quoted says just that, in that .04g can be an average bowl just as easily as .025, depending on herb consistency and personal preference.

and I'm simply not getting that
But I am, more or less, and with measuring 40-50 bowls and taking an average, I'd say a lot of people are. Judging by how packed my .05g bowls were, I'd say .025 is much closer to a good overall average than .05.

I just like reality.
For you that's .05g. For most people and most herb consistency, I'd say that's on the high side. Again, I was using very dry, very fine herb and packing it tighter than I like in order to get an average bowl of .05. That's definitely not the average herb consistency. And I firmly believe that it's a tighter packing method than most owners use.

I've got digital scales that weigh my reference weight accurately, so I don't see a problem there.
If the scale isn't accurate to .01g, you shouldn't use it to measure the average PD bowl. It would be like buying a gram of herb that was weighed on an analog postage scale. We're talking no better than 25% accuracy at that weight with that type of scale. And some scales that claim .01 accuracy are so cheap that I wouldn't trust 'em for this purpose. You can't get a reliable .01g scale for $12-15.

Purple-Days said:
Just to make it very clear.
I certainly hope nobody is attributing any claims or numbers to you Tom. Don't blame you a bit for the disclaimer though. ;)

max,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
M - With the dry, finely ground herb I'm using presently, a packed bowl is probably the .05g you're getting....[...]...I think we've certainly established that the average person will use less herb with the PD than with any other vape, no matter how much is really in the bowl.
H - I'm certainly not questioning the fact that the PD is efficient, it's just that I keep seeing this 0.025 gram figure quoted all over the place, and I'm simply not getting that...[...]...However I think it is entirely appropriate to question this often-quoted consumption figure, as my experiences tell a different story and are as valid a result as anyone's.
It sounds like we all agree (at least somewhat) about the range or how much one can put in the PD.

IME, you can use as little as you want and it will still 'works' (vaporizes oils). I often use it placing the can on top of the stem and the stem in a water tool--even done it chillum-style dry (keeps the herbs from falling out). To get 'enough' flavor and vapor (IMO/E) at least ~0.02g is necessary. Ground finely, the stem can fit 0.06g (and ~0.075g if you remove the top clip and grind finely).

IMO/E filling it to max capacity increases the # of draws one gets with compromised flavor, makes it more difficult to vaporize evenly/completely, and creates more resistance (uses of oils and extracts alters this too, of course).

My preferred amount probably ranges from ~0.025g for a tiny hand-held to 0.035 for a medium-sized bubbler/water tool or dry to 0.055 for an upright/large water tool (these #'s are based on a stem with no top clip in place and finely-ground/fairly-dry herbs). I have also filled what is likely to be ~0.065 when I have to use the unit with the mouthpiece pointing up like a straw in a soda can, but do not prefer this.

Progress,

max

Out to lunch
IMO/E filling it to max capacity increases the # of draws one gets with compromised flavor, makes it more difficult to vaporize evenly/completely, and creates more resistance (uses of oils and extracts alters this too, of course).
I agree, and for this reason when my herb is dry and fine I normally just scoop some up, rather than my normal stabbing method. I don't get a real secure load that way (at least until I get a good hit from it), but I'd rather adjust my vaping angle than get a tight draw and increase the number of hits that's required.

As for average bowl load, we should probably just give a range of between .02 and .06g, since it does depend so much on herb consistency and individual preference. Some people though, like hazy says, are gonna pick the .025 number and make that THE PD BOWL SIZE-just human nature. And I've also seen a person or two get the .02 figure wrong and it ends up as .2g. :rolleyes:

max,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Purple-Days said:
Nobody at Purple-Days Diffusers has ever made any claims about load weight.
Hey Tom, you're cool. I know you've never made any such claims. My argument is aimed at the general 'consensus' around here which I feel is misleading, especially when you see PD newbies saying that they're looking forward to getting 140 doses out of an eighth. I'm trying to protect people from unrealistic expectations more than anything.

Max, I explained that my weighing is accurate, and I'm getting consistent and repeatable results. The data was gathered over the course of several weeks. I've got a science background. You don't need to explain it to me. Even if my measurements were +/- 0.1g (which they are not), it wouldn't change the results much anyway. I'll take you through some examples if that isn't clear.

Maybe you're not getting the overall gist of what I'm saying. I did not say that it is not possible for others to get different results, and I'm not implying that your results are wrong either. As I mentioned, at this point I'm willing to concede that I might be getting more in the tube than some people, and I will try different techniques to pack lighter loads when I have the chance. It still doesn't change the fact that by using techniques I've learned in these forums (which I've described in detail), I am getting 0.05g/load without even trying. That's a lot different from the figure that tends to get stated as fact around here. It might actually be better if 0.05g became known as 'the standard', then nobody will be disappointed if they end up using less.

hazy,

Purple-Days

You can see where I don't want any unhappy people.

Any bowl weights given in hundredths of a gram just seem absurd to me. But that's me. I load and measure bowls the same way I cook. A pinch, a dash a smidgen, and sometimes a whole bunch.

Purple-Days,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Purple-Days said:
You can see where I don't want any unhappy people.

Any bowl weights given in hundredths of a gram just seem absurd to me. But that's me. I load and measure bowls the same way I cook. A pinch, a dash a smidgen, and sometimes a whole bunch.
Yeah, I've been averaging 0.02 smidgens per bowl, 0.06 pinches per bowl, or 1.0 whole bunch per bowl!

stickstones,

max

Out to lunch
I get what you're saying hazy. My opinion though, is that .025g is closer to the average bowl load (with the average herb consistency), for most people, than is .05g. And I did qualify it and say that for some, .04 would be a better average. I can also easily load .05g, assuming dry and finely ground herb. But the .025 figure was arrived at scientifically, and I'm confident in the results for the average grind.

As for new buyers being disappointed in the number of bowls they're getting, let 'em complain. I don't mind pointing out to them that they're taking a figure that's subject to variables and making it into an absolute. Why can't we just try to stop arriving at an average bowl size and make the variables obvious, by saying a range of 'approximately' .02 to .06?

Purple-Days said:
Any bowl weights given in hundredths of a gram just seem absurd to me.
Yeah, but with the PD bowl being much more 'measurable' than any other, it's gonna happen. You can't even get some people to stop asking 'how many hits per bowl do you get?'. Now that's really absurd. Some people just don't use (or don't have) common sense. I'd rather put out a figure arrived at with multiple weighings of various types, on high quality scales (and with qualifiers) than wait around for somebody's estimation to become the standard.

max,

EitherOr

I think y'all over think this stuff way too much lol

I can't imagine that Tom ever imagined a message board full of OCD type people sitting around with pad and paper logging and calculating average loads and weights lol all trying to prove they are right.

But hey, it takes all kinds, and i am certainly all about extensive data logging on my gardens. I just think that in this case there wont ever ever be anyone that is correct about how much can be loaded, average or not, as there are so many variables that cannot be factored.

It's best said as "Your mileage may vary"

EitherOr,

max

Out to lunch
It's the qualifier that I've put in every post on this topic.

I can't imagine that Tom ever imagined a message board full of OCD type people sitting around with pad and paper logging and calculating average loads and weights lol all trying to prove they are right.
My original post on the subject was informational, and prompted by a question. I didn't realize I had OCD. Thanks for the diagnosis though. I guess that sets me up for a medical card if my state ever becomes enlightened.

max,

EitherOr

lol my apologies if I offend you, but i must amend my diagnosis. You seem to have terminal sarcasmism... im sorry you only have 420 weeks to live :lol:

But taking a step back and looking at all of it, if any figure is established. Official or not, regardless of disclaimers attached to it. You know that there folks out there that will just gripe and gripe that the figures aren't accurate, and that their device is malfunctioning since it uses up xx amount instead of xx amount.

max said:
It's the qualifier that I've put in every post on this topic.

My original post on the subject was informational, and prompted by a question. I didn't realize I had OCD. Thanks for the diagnosis though. I guess that sets me up for a medical card if my state ever becomes enlightened.

EitherOr,

Purple-Days

I suppose what I see as absurd, isn't the math, but the need for it.

I came up in a day when lids were measured in fingers. How much did it waive? (as in waive it around and guess) :peace:

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

Yeah, 3 fingers... 4 fingers. Pretty rare to see a scale, but some folks had those curved hanging postage scales with the gator clip and dangling needle. Actually pretty accurate, in a relative sort of way, a $3 scale for a 30 dollar lid in a 3 cent baggie.

With modern prices I can see an accurate scale as a worthwhile investment to some. Only thing that hasn't seemed to change is the 3 cent baggie.

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
EitherOr said:
lol my apologies if I offend you, but i must amend my diagnosis. You seem to have terminal sarcasmism... im sorry you only have 420 weeks to live :lol:

But taking a step back and looking at all of it, if any figure is established. Official or not, regardless of disclaimers attached to it. You know that there folks out there that will just gripe and gripe that the figures aren't accurate, and that their device is malfunctioning since it uses up xx amount instead of xx amount.
Well I could say you seem to have a terminal case of 'let me make fun of a topic that I deem to be not worthy of discussion, and the posters as well'. I don't see much difference.

Forums are all about discussion, eitheror, and obviously not every topic is interesting to everyone. If you want to join a discussion just to make fun of it, don't be surprised if someone takes exception. The only humorous part to me is the idea of making the topic 'taboo' because someone will think their PD "is malfunctioning" because they're not getting 40 bowls per gram, all because someone on a forum said so. Those folks should go to Tom's site for solid info, correct? I'm sure that someone, somewhere has complained to a manufacturer about a product because some poster on a forum said this or that, and therefore it's the gospel. While I feel sorry that anyone's that dumb, I do find the idea funny.

At any rate, the discussion about whether the topic has sufficient merit or not is now well off topic and is officially at an end.

max,

max

Out to lunch
I still have the postage scale I bought back when a small, affordable digital scale was still science fiction. If I had all the ozs I've weighed on that thing, I'd never have to buy another bag, even if I lived to 100.

max,
Top Bottom