Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Purple-Days

Contacted our laser man / wood wood turner / Myrtle supplier, late last week. Needed more Myrtle and was gonna schedule a shipment of American Cherry and Black Walnut to him. Our CPA says he has to do certain things to comply with the law, and he says he doesn't, and won't. Well, OK. Now we know. :shrug:

What does that mean to Purple-Days and our customers? First item is no Myrtle for a while. A shop mis-count (by me), meant we sold a few units of Myrtle that we didn't have in stock... Those folks were notified and given other options. Second is the laser logo, for a while at least there will be no laser etched logo. Third, all wood turning will again be done by me.

Our supplier of Black Walnut, American Cherry and Western Fiddleback Maple doesn't allow Myrtle into his warehouse, seriously. Woodworms in a previous shipment means he doesn't want the stuff anywhere near his other woods... Strange but true. He is supposed to call us in a few days with the name of a supplier we may be able to deal with direct... With the new Western Fiddleback Maple working out so well, and more on the way, we may not pursue Myrtle with much vigor. Myrtle can have beautiful grain, sometimes. But, it is highly variable in grain pattern and color, and somewhat variable in density. It can sometimes have odor issues (bay leaf smell). None of this is a plus. We want a consistent product.

The laser logo is neat, but not available to us, for a while. Several paths to decide from. I will be looking for a local laser source, also thinking of doing them all badge-less. Thinking of making an engraved version of our logo on metal, a bit smaller, and doing a wood-burned application above the power jack. User opinions on logo options or ideas welcome. Buying a laser is out, and I would like to get back to being the one and only set of hands that makes these things, so I'm leaning toward no badge or the later, wood-burned badge.

Wood-turning is fun stuff,
210hd80.jpg

Maple Days, just kidding, but it was a Maple day yesterday.
Basically, doing things like we have, since day number one. Me and some basic materials.

Also, with me doing all the turning, we are back to the larger radius, shoulder round over that I like.
eintpe.jpg

That's a piece of Myrtle turned by others.

I did distract myself at one point with a piece of ash. Turned a bowl for the contest (no finish yet).
2mrtsft.jpg

No telling, what will come out of a block, they will all be different and awarded at random to the category winners.

Purple-Days,

Nycdeisel

That is a nice bowl Tom! whoever wins one should be a happy camper!
I like all of the maple PDs, could you please remind me what you like to call the ones with the grip?

As for the logo; Im not sure how much I like the idea of a logo being above the power jack, I always loved their location on the front! another option would be bare units with no logo. I am interested in hearing others' ideas!

One more question if you will, and this has probably been discussed before, but how hot does maple run compared to the other woods?

Nycdeisel,

hereatlast

Beautiful stuff Tom. Good luck moving forward. That last pic has me excited for contest prizes :cool:

hereatlast,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Stu said:
Madcap, why didn't you put that on your wife's "pedestal"? :lol:

I'm working on it Stu. All the positive feed back is helping persuade her to do more. :D

Madcap79,

Purple-Days

NYC, the 'Gripper' model seems to describe it well enough. The Western Maple is the same density (on average) as the American Cherry and the Black Walnut.

Glad folks like the bowl. I'm not very experienced with bowls, so they are a challenge... fun stuff.

Purple-Days,

Ripbongs420

vapiff
Great pictures all around, especially madcap's ;)

Wow Tom, that bowl is beautiful. Can't wait to see the others as well. Great job.

Haven't posted a picture in a few days. I am spending some time with my family in New Hampshire. Good pictures to come. :)

Ripbongs420,

Nycdeisel

i ended up sending it. I will let you know what happens when I dont.

anyone else have experience flying with PD?

Nycdeisel,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Nycdeisel said:
i ended up sending it. I will let you know what happens when I dont.

anyone else have experience flying with PD?

Smart move. I fly with my PD all the time but when I do I pretend I'm a pilot facing the refrigerator.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
A pilot training home study course and when I'm through with the booklet there's a certificate of completion to fill out, and then I'm supposed to take the certificate to any airport for a job.

jeffp,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
As far as the logo goes IMO, I think that no logo is just fine (and that units should be marked/dated inside of the unit somehow for authenticity/wattanty issues).

It is a shame about your wood guy. :( Change can be hard, but I am confident that you did the right thing. :)

PS: Jeff, I started that class when I crashed my simulator into the stove. :lmao:

Progress,

illeg

Purple-Days said:
The laser logo is neat, but not available to us, for a while. Several paths to decide from. I will be looking for a local laser source, also thinking of doing them all badge-less. Thinking of making an engraved version of our logo on metal, a bit smaller, and doing a wood-burned application above the power jack. User opinions on logo options or ideas welcome. Buying a laser is out, and I would like to get back to being the one and only set of hands that makes these things, so I'm leaning toward no badge or the later, wood-burned badge.

Long time reader, first time poster. Went searching for "PD vaporizer" from the iolite threads, got here, and worked my way through all 366 pages. Quite the read, I must say.

Tom, already sent this to Pammy, but as far as a logo, my vote would be putting a logo in the normal spot. Since laser isn't available, wood-burned would be great, but if it's going to be too much trouble or work, no logo is fine.

I am somewhere in line for a fiddleback maple PD, and am counting down the days until when it sounds like it'll be available. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

illeg,

oldfart

th_P8230048.jpg

schools sold milk in these in the 50's i think they were 7 cents, the paper cartons came out and the price dropped to 3 cents. This one is from 1959

oldfart,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I thought I'd share my little tip about cleaning stems in the supplied little bottle. The first time I cleaned my stems in ISO in that little bottle, I had a helluva time getting the little buggers out of the ISO. So I created a "stem picker" using a common paperclip.

:peace:

pd1y.jpg

pd2x.jpg

Stu,

lvl10troll

With the fiddle back maple , I also ordered single and a double porta-billys ! I can't wait :D

I went to my profile! Registered: 2009-04-20

04-20? haha it all makes sense now...

Another X on the calender :D

lvl10troll,
Top Bottom