Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Milk

Mike
Missed a few days, been busy..

29goccj.jpg

Amazing landscape shots people, Tom's probably in heaven :)

Milk,

vapordude

do you guys know where i can find a clear tube like the one clear dome used to make? im taking about the 11 inch long piece with a carb on it. i saw a vid of a guy getting some sick pulls off his and i HAVE to own one. sorry if its been posted but im too medicated to read all 356 pages. tried google but no luck. thanks

vapordude,

Ripbongs420

vapiff
rockynh said:
Firstly, how different are the highs from vaporizing and combustion? the 'cloudy' feeling people describe here is something I feel I may want.

Imo the PD can give you a clean more energenic high from one or two stems, and over that I beleive it can achieve a very heavy body high more similar to smoking, but for me much stronger. It can vary though and that is just an average. The other night I got so high off two GB pulls it was uncomfortable! .05! :o.

rockynh said:
I'm hoping to conserve my herb and push my dollar further, without detriment to the experience.

I get higher off of two or three PD stems than I ever did smoking, and thats .05-.1. There is no way you wont save green. money and bud. :brow:

rockynh said:
Secondly, is it absolutely vital to dry your bud before use? Is there a method that should be followed?

All bud should be properly dried and cured, wether for smoking, vaping, or sale. If you are getting wet bud, you are getting ripped off. I don't usually dry my bud any extra amount than when I get it. Properly dried and cured should be ready to go, but really dry does work very well too.

rockynh said:
thirdly.... how the hell am I supposed to wait another month? :uhoh:

Thats up to you, but I can say it is a very high quality, time tested, and impressive product, made right here in the US and run by two of the best people out there! :D :2c:

Ripbongs420,

MajorDoobage

Stationary Traveler
rockynh said:
now, the long waiting game starts... my Black Walnut unit is ordered and will hopefully be waiting at my doorstep upon my arrival home (assuming my nosy parents don't break open the package :ninja:). I have a few questions, though.

Firstly, how different are the highs from vaporizing and combustion? I'm a big fan of combustion (or so I recall, it's been almost two months now :/) and the 'cloudy' feeling people describe here is something I feel I may want. It seems contradictory that it the high is clearer and more 'cerebral' (whatever the hell that means) but also stronger. I'm hoping to conserve my herb and push my dollar further, without detriment to the experience. Many a fun night has been had by me with combustion, and the health effects haven't caught up to me yet - I just don't want to receive my unit and find that the high is not as strong.

Secondly, is it absolutely vital to dry your bud before use? Is there a method that should be followed? I'm used to fighting against drying my nugs, and I thought that the volatile compounds lost to the air would be some of the psychoactive ones I was after.

thirdly.... how the hell am I supposed to wait another month? :uhoh:

Regarding your first question:
When people say that vaporizing offers a more cerebral high, they're referring to a more mentally stimulating psychedelic high. That "cloudy" feeling your referring to is the "couch lock" effect often associated with combustion. Why would various smoking methods offer different subjective highs? Well the answer isn't that clear cut.

As you may or may not know, there are hundreds of different cannabinoids in cannabis. The two big players affecting the high are delta-9 tetrahydracannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). "THC is responsible for most of the cerebral (mental) effects of cannabis. Besides potentially inducing feelings of euphoria and happiness, THC can cause people to feel anxious, nervous, or paranoid.
CBD (Cannabidiol) increases some of the effects of THC and decreases other effects of THC. Larger amounts of CBD tend to relax both mind and body, and decrease feelings like anxiety, nervousness, and paranoia."
-good info on cannabinoids

THC has a boiling point (vaporizing temperature) of about 315 F, while CBD boils off at about 356-374 F. Those temperatures vary depending on which source you read. Furthermore these boiling points are usually assessed with pure samples of each chemical, and not from the raw plant form. According to Vaporpedia, the PD runs at about 374 F (this also varies depending on wood density). By virtue of its lower boiling point, one can assume that vaporizing with a PD will yeild vapor with a higher THC to CBD content.

Another factor effecting the subjective "high" is cannabinoid degradation with combustion vs. vaporization. Vaporizing allows the main cannabinoids to boil off efficiently without much degradation. IMO, Combusting cannabis at such high temperatures alters cannbinoid structures and may increase the amount of degradative products.

Other factors effecting vaporizer high include:
-specimen density
-weight, content of water, and essential oils
-consistency of material in the chamber
-variety and potency of cannabis used
-different preparations such as crude flowertops, hashish, hash oil, etc.
-storage time of the vapor
-proportion of THC exhaled (breathing technique)

As you can see this is not an easy question to answer. I encourage you to do more research on combusting vs. vaporizing. Vaporizing isn't for everyone, there are a few people who realize that vaporizing doesn't offer what they need. YMMV

Regarding your second question:
Over time, THC can degrade to CBN which produces a fuzzy/confusing high associated with lower grade cannabis. Many PD users recommend letting the leaves dry out overnight. I can't imagine too much THC-to-CBN conversion within a 24 hour period. Drying out cannabis leaves may evaporate or concentrate terpenes/essential oils/plant resins, and some evidence exists that supports these oils may affect cannabinoid function.

PS: using my PD with leaves left to dry out overnight is far superior to using leaves straight from the stash jar. I put up a picture of my ABV several pages ago of bud that I hadn't let dry out overnight. It was dark green and didn't vape well. After drying overnight, the leaves turn medium to dark brown after vaping and deliver a much more "body" high.

Regarding your third question:
Haha can't help you there :cool:

MajorDoobage,

Ripbongs420

vapiff
Very in depth Doobage, I'm sure your time will be greatly appreciated. :) I just have to disagree that grinding and leaving overnight makes really that superior vapor. With the GB I have been able to experiment with the visible vapor produced depending on many different kinds of high quality cannabis with different trichome sizes and obvious sativa/indica THC/CBD levels and draw speeds. Though it being extra dry does make a noticeable difference, I don't think it is a big difference, maybe I just have drier than average bud. Just IME though. Also, I think it may be one on the hotter side of the scale, the ABV is always very dark brown. Anyhow heres todays Pic. My favorite Grateful Dead shirt ever. Aiko Akio. :cool:
PDaiko.jpg

Purple tie dye. :D

rockynh

Wow, thanks for the detailed responses. I'm glad to hear that body highs aren't completely out the window, though I can always cook up some ABV brownies if I want supreme couchlock :D. While I hope to change to a mainly vapor route, I have a couple friends who live in decidedly un-420-friendly houses who plan on stashing their bongs at my house - so if I wanna lock myself in I can still take a rip if I please. The health benefits are one of the main reasons I pulled the trigger on a PD, though. They haven't caught up to me yet - I smoked daily for over a year but I've never coughed up tar or anything gross like that... but that must mean there's some amount of a nasty sticky coating on my lungs. Preventative maintenance. Lung cancer is also in the family - my grandfather smoked pipes like a fiend and it ended up catching up to him. I know that marijuana smoke isn't as harmful, but combustion is combustion, right?
The efficiency is the biggest draw, though. Before I left for Alaska, I somehow killed a 1/2 oz in 3 days :o! That's NOT okay, so the T-break has been welcome, although difficult at first. The PD is my remedy to this problem when I get back. Zero tolerance plus a crazy efficient vape should hopefully equal more green in my wallet and my mason jar.
until then, I scour the thread for usage tips :cool:

rockynh,

djonkoman

overdid it a little with the hash yesterday, put mre into one stem then I would combust at once to get high, stem lasted very long and abv came out darkbrown instead of the usual lightbrown, got a to stoney hgh and already really wanted to sleep at 3 in the evening(while usually during vacation and weekends I stay up till 5-6)
but I just did a wake&bake with just a little bit of hash, stem lasted about twice as long or maybe a bit more, abv came out about the same color as usual, and I have a very nice sativa high:D

djonkoman,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Pic of the Day

This book made my brain hurt but, man, it was fascinating! :o

6ih2xg.jpg

Madcap79,

Purple-Days

Nice shots everyone...

Well, shvetaketu42, that's the range I thought, but I was used to looking at them from the west and wasn't sure. Here is a shot from over by Henry's Fork.
ibgj6p.jpg

And one from the very southwest corner of Yellowstone.
11jxf9k.jpg

We were fortunate to live in Rexburg, ID one summer. But almost all my photos from that period were destroyed.

Purple-Days,

hereatlast

Good pics all around. Tom, that second one is lovely. Is the first featuring a beaver?

Ripbongs420, hope that was fun; looks like a nice match. :)

First of a couple shots at the same building.
PDx4fun013.jpg

hereatlast,

rockynh

Madcap, I'm trying to wrap my head around that book too, it's rediculous :o I read a Briefer History of Time and I thought it was really dumbed-down, so I got the real McCoy from the library, and it's far too much. What the hell is a light cone supposed to be anyway?

rockynh,

djonkoman

pic I just made in the garden, it's borage (wich, unlike my weedplants this year, is doing well)
1zdrds4.jpg

djonkoman,

Purple-Days

Hereatlast, that's a Marmot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmot
xdsb5c.jpg

The Wikipedia entry shows this Marmot in Yellowstone.
"Marmots are generally large ground squirrels... Those most often referred to as marmots tend to live in mountainous areas "

In the East you have the Ground Hog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_hog
kbyxaf.jpg

"The groundhog (Marmota monax), also known as a woodchuck, or in some areas as a land-beaver, is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots."

Purple-Days,

Ripbongs420

vapiff
Never heard of a Marmot but I sure have witnessed the demise of many a woodchuck. My brothers job used to actually include shooting them around a near by college campus. Suckers are all over up here.

Ripbongs420,

Madcap79

rockynh said:
Madcap, I'm trying to wrap my head around that book too, it's rediculous :o I read a Briefer History of Time and I thought it was really dumbed-down, so I got the real McCoy from the library, and it's far too much. What the hell is a light cone supposed to be anyway?

It's been a few years since I attempted to read it. The quark and anti-quark is what stuck with me. To be honest, not a lot stuck. :lol:

Madcap79,

Madcap79

Pic of the Day

This book and Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey by Nicholas Schaffner are the best books I have read on the subject of the Floyd

zjbfr7.jpg

Madcap79,

Furiouslyfapping

Today marks week 4 since I ordered my PD. Cannot wait for it to arrive! I have already ground up 4.20 grams just for it :brow:

Furiouslyfapping,
Top Bottom