Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

cisco

Hi folks.

After lurking around FC since January or so, first post and a pic entry....

My portable PD ...

DSCN1138.jpg

cisco,

weedemon

enthusiast
yeah dude how long does that pack stay charged for??? how much did it run ya? that is boss! :) nice one!

Welcome to FC btw!

weedemon,

cisco

The battery pack is a 13.2v 4500 Mah unit from Batteryspace.com, about $70 including a charger, $85 delivered. An adapter also acquired (6" Male 2.1mm Plug to Male 2.1mm Plug CCTV Power Adapter) on Amazon, another $8 or so delivered.

Before looking into the battery option, I checked my Jameco output at !4.8v AC (and the two additional Jameco units also at 14.8v), all with a Fluke MM. Based on those readings and the likelihood that the car charge adapter would yield more that 12v DC, I elected to goose the voltage a bit above the quoted 12v. Experimenting a bit here, I surely did not want to fry my PD! I stuck a thermocouple in the top of the PD while on the AC wall wort...365F...plugged in the initially cycled batts and the temp ran up to 380F, voltmeter showed some 15v output. I half expected to see soldier run out of the unit. The batts require a few cycles to stabilize and that ended up at about 13 v. My first cycle on the batteries took about 4 hours to drop the voltage to the min level (1v per cell, 11v total). I'm on the fourth cycling of batts today, the recommended number, and have only tried a couple stems. On somewhat depleted batts, nice clouds just a matter of draw rate I guess. With NiMh batts and the 0.6 or so amp requirement for the PD, theoretically 8 hours longevity. Based on my thermocouple observations, about four hours with a preheated PD.

cisco,

Chunlee77

Im just curious if anyone has tried/uses my method of smoking and if they have tried/use other methods now and find them better. I see a lot of mention of people only getting like two or three hits and it kind of confuses me. I get any stem/seed outta my stuff, if there is any, mix about a quarter at a time, grind it in a little $20 wal mart coffee grinder for like 3-5 seconds. It gives it a nice fluffy texture that's about the size of a the big snowflake looking sugar imitators. I keep like a quarter rdy in a Tupperware bowl and about a nickel in a shot glass with a foil lid. I suck like a straw on the wand to get a bowl ready and then just flatten it into the bowl. I usually prep 3 bowls at a time. I just set my bowl on the vape and leave it there usually. I'll get one good moist hit then like two or three good hold em in hits and then I can get maybe 5-8 small hits over like 5-10 minutes. If u exhale u can't see anything unless you put it against light, but if u do put it under light you can see a small amount of vapor for like at least 5-6 more hits after the first big three or four. If you're still seeing vapor after a 10-15 second inhale and a 5-10 second hold that would mean you're probably absorbing quite a bit more than that, right?

So anyways. I'm just curious if I'm doing mine different or something because all the ones I've read on here people have said they get like 3-4 hits tops. R they doing something different, if so is it worse or better, or are they just not noticing how much they're wasting because they arent letting it sit long enough and/or aren't blowing it out under a light to check for the vapor?

I'm also curious how long people hold their hits for. I've heard this bs about 3 or 5 seconds being enough for your lungs to absorb the "good stuff" but I've found that can't be possible because I give my wife headshots I've held in for 5 seconds and she gets effect off it. She has a low tolerance already, but still. I dunno about with smoke, but I'm guessing with vapor your best bet is to just hold as long as you can?

Chunlee77,

Ripbongs420

vapiff
Ezi your photo didn't work at least for me. You might need to repost it.

Heres a nice sun lit close up. :)

PDsi.jpg

To KGuy I have the same experience usually and I think your method of loading, at least the straw method, Is the most popular and time tested way to pack. And I think the most popular consensus is that you can get, like you described, 2-7 visible hits with 2-3 worth while hits after. At least this is mostly what I have read and what I myself experience. Thats has been my conclusion, though I have seen said what you are talking about. Hope that helps!

I also usually hold till I feel comfortable. Works everytime. :D

Ripbongs420,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
mmmbeerpd.jpg

I got this vanity plate in honor of Homer Simpson, but I do love my beer, too.

:peace:

Stu,

Nycdeisel

KnaisGuy said:
Im just curious if anyone has tried/uses my method of smoking and if they have tried/use other methods now and find them better. I see a lot of mention of people only getting like two or three hits and it kind of confuses me. I get any stem/seed outta my stuff, if there is any, mix about a quarter at a time, grind it in a little $20 wal mart coffee grinder for like 3-5 seconds. It gives it a nice fluffy texture that's about the size of a the big snowflake looking sugar imitators. I keep like a quarter rdy in a Tupperware bowl and about a nickel in a shot glass with a foil lid. I suck like a straw on the wand to get a bowl ready and then just flatten it into the bowl. I usually prep 3 bowls at a time. I just set my bowl on the vape and leave it there usually. I'll get one good moist hit then like two or three good hold em in hits and then I can get maybe 5-8 small hits over like 5-10 minutes. If u exhale u can't see anything unless you put it against light, but if u do put it under light you can see a small amount of vapor for like at least 5-6 more hits after the first big three or four. If you're still seeing vapor after a 10-15 second inhale and a 5-10 second hold that would mean you're probably absorbing quite a bit more than that, right?

So anyways. I'm just curious if I'm doing mine different or something because all the ones I've read on here people have said they get like 3-4 hits tops. R they doing something different, if so is it worse or better, or are they just not noticing how much they're wasting because they arent letting it sit long enough and/or aren't blowing it out under a light to check for the vapor?

I'm also curious how long people hold their hits for. I've heard this bs about 3 or 5 seconds being enough for your lungs to absorb the "good stuff" but I've found that can't be possible because I give my wife headshots I've held in for 5 seconds and she gets effect off it. She has a low tolerance already, but still. I dunno about with smoke, but I'm guessing with vapor your best bet is to just hold as long as you can?

I too use the straw method of loading stems.

the average reported here is about 3-5 hits. Keep in mind things like strains, batches, amount of moisture, etc are some big factors that contribute to the amount of vapor you get from a single amount of herb.

You may just be taking smaller hits then a lot of people, though. I defintely see a decent amount of vapor when I exhale most of the time, even though I always hold in for the optimal 10 seconds. The part you were referring to about 3-5 seconds being all you need for the good stuff- that was only talking about smoke. Vapor is a totally different deal, it wont hurt you to hold vapor in longer, and it absorbs slower anyway, so holding VAPOR in longer DOES get more out of it. Still be cautious of oxygen deprivation. Hold it for as long as comfortably possible, or at least 10 seconds

Nycdeisel,

Milk

Mike
What a wonderful day in the neighborhood!

2hwhdl4.jpg

The sky was so bright it's a little hard to see the rest.

Milk,

Chunlee77

Just smoked some chronic for the first time. I've only smoked mid grade since I started two years ago. I gotta say the chronic in a pipe wasn't any stronger than mids in a vape. I'm at home trying some in the vape now, but my point was that people who pay for chronic and smoke joints/blunts/pipes should really really invest in a one time payment vape and downgrade to mid. Seems like it would save a ton of money. /headshake at lazy smokers

Chunlee77,

oldfart

P7160054.jpg

In the 70's Before Pac-man in bars you had pinball and claw machines. One of my winnings deck of playing cards. Might have cost 2 days pay but I got it. (what a dumb shit). HA! HA!

oldfart,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Very Bukowski although Buk asserted that pot was overrated compared with booze.

jeffp,

MG23

Relaxin'
KnaisGuy said:
Just smoked some chronic for the first time. I've only smoked mid grade since I started two years ago. I gotta say the chronic in a pipe wasn't any stronger than mids in a vape. I'm at home trying some in the vape now, but my point was that people who pay for chronic and smoke joints/blunts/pipes should really really invest in a one time payment vape and downgrade to mid. Seems like it would save a ton of money. /headshake at lazy smokers

Mids do work very well, up until a couple weeks ago I used exclusively mids. They worked very well in the PD, and allowed my usage to drop to about .5g/day medicating whenever I felt the need. Needless to say this was gangbusters on dropping my tolerance.
Mids are underrated, to say the least.

MG23,

cisco

An update on the 13.2v battery pack (post 8585). The short version is that you need closer to a 15v battery pack to duplicate the performance of the PD while tethered to the Jameco AC adapter.

The long version: After fully conditioning the battery pack and plugging into a preheated koozied PD, the PD temperature dropped 35-40 deg F over about an hour and remained at that level for the next 2 hours (at which point I stopped the test). The PD stilled generated vapor at the lower temp but you won't be needing your whip ripper.

I then tried powering the PD using the car adapter while the car was not operating. At 12.1v DC from the car, the PD temp dropped another 10-15 deg F. When the car is running, I get 14.5v from the adapter and while I did not do a temperature check, I'll hazard that the PD operating temp would be close to the temp achieved while using the Jameco adapter, maybe 10 deg F lower.

I get a 14.8 to 15.1v output reading from the Jameco adapter(s) using my Fluke MM. Turns out those readings are RMS voltage which is defined as the DC equivalent voltage required to generate the same power from a device (read the same wattage or heat from the PD). That means a 14.8-15.1v battery pack.

I'll live with the 13.2v mediocre performance while I look into what is required to add one or two 1.2v cells to the pack. And I need to run a PD temp test off the car unit while the engine is running too.

A caution to anyone going the battery route...be very careful using the initially cycled(s) batteries. My first test INCREASED the PD temperature about 15 deg F...the 13.2v pack was putting out over 15v. If you acquire the 14.4 or 15.6 packs, you really need to condition (charge/discharge cycling) using something other than your PD for the initial discharge. Perhaps more important, I suggest that if you deviate from the standard Jameco PS supplied in any way that you monitor the PD temps lest you melt stuff or burn down the house.

cisco,

oldfart

Purple-Days said:
Oldfart, I saw nothing wrong with that picture. That is ridiculous. Shame on them. :mad:

http://tinypic.com

A solid solution... we have no affiliation with them . . .
Well anyone that has a problem with the human body maybe should live on another planet. Hey people that is what we look like. Next they will start banning anyone who say fuck on fuckcombustion is this G rated

oldfart,

Purple-Days

Just to make it clear it was PotatoBucket who banned his photo. Not FC. See even I don't want to say it. Old Follk's Syndrome... OFS ! :2c:

Purple-Days,

oldfart

Purple-Days said:
Just to make it clear it was PotatoBucket who banned his photo. Not FC. See even I don't want to say it. Old Follk's Syndrome... OFS ! :2c:

I didn't know it was photobucket well I hope they catch my drift. I'll have to find another photo host.

oldfart,

Purple-Days

Can we officialy rename that Old Fart Syndrome / OFS ? A new FC acronym ? Banned by the provider : OFS !!!

It needs a icon... :lol: I suggest an icon of his original post picture. :lol:

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom