Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
the PD stem and Cal Schenkel's magical universe....

stemschenkel.jpg

I didn't want to overwhelm this incredible graphic with the PD; it's not really a contest entry, just thought this was a very cool image to show you guys...
*edit*
posted a larger scale view of this masterpiece in the vapor spam thread -
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=141119#p141119

jeffp,

friedricey

being human
I recall reading that the pd stem can fit to a 14mm stem or something?

I'm just trying to get a piece with GWO and was just wondering if I need an adapter for the PD stem.

friedricey,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Ripbongs420 said:
Very nice Madcap. :cool: I was actually thinking of taking a picture with a floyd vinyl as me and a few friends were out in my back garage/workshop listening to dark side of the moon. I've got a few of them in my collection. I love vinyl records :)

Thank you sir. I've got some vinyl of theirs as well. I was able to pick up a vinyl version of 'A Nice Pair'. I'm quite a fanatic.....

Madcap79,

friedricey

being human
Nvm, I worked it out. The stem is 12.5mm or thereabouts and I can use a rubber band around it so it can plug in the stem.

friedricey,

Ripbongs420

vapiff
Madcap79 said:
Thank you sir. I've got some vinyl of theirs as well. I was able to pick up a vinyl version of 'A Nice Pair'. I'm quite a fanatic.....

No problem! Due to growing up with Pink Floyd fanatics, I am definitely also in the club. :lol: Nothing can beat vinyl, but did you hear about the remastered albums and special box sets with unreleased recordings that are coming out later this year/early next? Very cool. I hope David and Roger grow up and do a few more shows together. I would love to see that with my mom and brother.
Shine on Madcap. :D Here's todays pic. ;)

DSCF2754-1.jpg

I had to suspend her from the ceiling with fishing line, made sure it was safe. ;)

Ripbongs420,

Nycdeisel

I saw Roger Waters perform the wall in concert last year, no sign of Gilmor :/
Still a big event of my lifetime.

This might be a big post, and I apologize in advance, because of the Dichro cap, the color alters a bit at different angles, as shown below(reason for multiple pictures, not for contest)

ENJOY! Let me know what you think! the way it works is pretty self explanatory but if you have questions go for em!

note that bottom two are with flash
DSC038552.jpg

DSC038572.jpg

DSC038582.jpg

DSC038592.jpg

DSC038602.jpg

DSC038612.jpg

and....
DSC038642.jpg

this thing actually hits really well! what a contraption! :science:

Nycdeisel,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

weedemon

enthusiast
got a question for PD veterans!

how hard do you pull when you are toking off a stem? i heard the milkshake analogy and used to suck pretty hard. recently i learned that taking it easier and trying to milk it with less gusto got better results.

also how many hauls do you get out of a stem? i find i get 2 good satisfying clouds. then i empty it, reload the same stuff for a 3rd. then after that it's not really work it to continue imo.

The reason i am posting is because i find myself using the pd for a long time to get high and it's a lot of work compared to some of my other vapes. I am hoping for some tips to get me better at using it. I know everyone sings it's praises and hope i'm just missing out on a bit of education to make the experience better.

about my buds: I use a medium to fine grind on my herbs. material is always right dry. and regarding quality i always buy the best i can find (my dealer knows this and only gives me heads up on when exceptional stuff is around). i pay 200-240 an oz in ontario here if that helps you guys get a picture. master kush/ blueberry/ cadilac/ northern lights... I don;t think my supply is the issue.

so please! any tips or suggestions are more than welcome!!

weedemon,

Nycdeisel

Whats dry and a 'medium sized grind' can vary from ones perspective.

Try letting it dry out for another day, in bud form before grinding, since then it will be able to grind better when its dried more.

Packing is a big issue, the way you load the stem, and how loose or tight it is, makes a massive difference.

and the size of the hits, you are not looking to always blow fat clouds from the PD.

Most people get 3-5 hits in total from one stem pack. hope this helps a little

Nycdeisel,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
If you want to maximize your experience I suggest you hook it up to a bong - you'll get monster hits that are easy on the lungs.
Some advice I read here a while ago is sound - inhale with a level of force until you hear a faint whistle from the stem - that's the end point for force.
Personally I hardly ever get near that whistle point.
When you load up a stem try the straw sucking approach so it's light and fluffy inside the stem; not dense.
Just tap it down with your fingertip before mating it with the PD.
If you're interested in a really good bong that's inexpensive and works great with the PD I'll post the link and with that you should also order a mini stem from the PD site - it's not necessary but it is more ergonomic.

jeffp,

weedemon

enthusiast
i use a med size 2 pc ti space case to bust my buds up. or i will use a coffee grinder if i want a finer grind.

regarding dryness most of my supply is 3 months or older. i store in mason jars in the dark. I'm positive my stash is dry because there is never any mold issues in the jars :)

i already use the straw sucking method. there is always a good size clump poking out of the stem though, maybe i should scrape the remainder off instead of jamming it in there?

i have a nice lil 14mm bong, but it's not GonG, i should probably invest in a new stem for it to make it GonG.

regarding cloud size, and seeing them: should this be mroe like a mflb experience with less visible vape then?

im used to my ssv, and always seeing vapor

weedemon,

lwien

For me, I don't use the milkshake technique nor do I draw very hard.

I just do a very slow, steady draw right into my lungs. No sipping at all. When I feel a bit of lung expansion, I'll pull the stem from the PD and keep inhaling a bit to clear the stem. At this point, I'm only taking about a half a lung full of air/vapor. Then I re-breath 2 to 3 times per hit.

As far as dryness and grind, I don't dry out my bud beyond what a normal good cure would be........sticky but not moist. Grind is a medium grind.

As far as loading the stem, I use the suck technique into the stem but I make sure that I don't tape down too much overflow excess into the stem. I just use my fingers, no tamping tools.

I get 2 really good hits and 1 weaker hit. Then I empty stem, re-crumble with my fingers and reload for another hit or two, so that's a total of 4 to 5 hits.

Use only very top quality bud.

Hope this helps. Above techniques was learned over 2 years of trial and error. Works great......for me.

lwien,

lwien

weedemon said:
i already use the straw sucking method. there is always a good size clump poking out of the stem though, maybe i should scrape the remainder off instead of jamming it in there?

Yeah. You gotta be careful how much you jam in there. I used to do that, but found out that I get a much better draw by scraping off most all of the overflow. Not all of it, but most all of it.

lwien,

Nycdeisel

weedemon said:
i use a med size 2 pc ti space case to bust my buds up. or i will use a coffee grinder if i want a finer grind.

regarding dryness most of my supply is 3 months or older. i store in mason jars in the dark. I'm positive my stash is dry because there is never any mold issues in the jars :)

i have a nice lil 14mm bong, but it's not GonG, i should probably invest in a new stem for it to make it GonG.

regarding cloud size, and seeing them: should this be mroe like a mflb experience with less visible vape then?

im used to my ssv, and always seeing vapor

These are just my opinions and experiences:

I suck through like a straw the same way, and when theres a bit sticking out, just brush that off and firmly but lightly use the end of your finger(I use my pinky usually) to push down and twist for a second, then it should be secure, but check by tapping it on your palm and inhale through it to check airflow, you will learn whats too tight/loose with practice.

I think the medium 2 piece SC is the perfect tool for the job, but you might want to keep twisting a few more times to get it just a but more fine or even. remember, with a 2piece it can go finer if you want, just twist more(of course past a certain point it wont grind any further).

Nycdeisel,

weedemon

enthusiast
thanks for all the tips folks! :) im trying em out now. the looser pack is making a difference and i'm experimenting with draw speed again.

i was already stoned, but I can definitely feel the 1 stem.

weedemon,

Ripbongs420

vapiff
Great tips guys, I can add that making a gravity bong for the PD is a great idea. When I am using just the stem I can get 4-7 visible vapor clouds, and that is long pulls with a large lung capacity. When me and my friend use it, it just keeps on going, sometimes more than 7. Very impressive. But with the gravity bong I can get a very cloudy 1 and 1/2 two liters pull and a second with some visible vapor that still has a kick. :ko: Also you can just pull them (I usually try to keep the water inside the bottle 1" higher than in the bigger container for the best draw speed) and hand them off to your friends who may be too lazy to learn to do it themselves. I have a few of them and it is very convenient. I also think it is a great way to show off what the PD can do, as it gets (IME) heavy users blasted in one pull. And I don't think I have ever gone over 3 stems off the GB by myself. You get so much vapor with little air, when you take it all and hold it in for 10 seconds you are instantly gone on exhale. Me and my friends usually do 2 stems max. Still cant believe how stoned I get off of .05 :o . Everything else I know has been said, and 99% of what I know I learned from the fine people at FC. :D

Almost forgot! Must be too vaked! NYC That bowl is AWESOME! I love the colors and the prism looks really cool (especially from an angle!). I love how great the stem fits in there :cool: . My mom and brother actually saw Roger Waters I believe at the Meadowlands a few years back. I wasn't able to join them :/ . Roger Waters and David Gilmour did get on stage together at a recent benefit concert in the UK. First time since 2005. :o

Ripbongs420,

Nycdeisel

Ripbongs420 said:
Great tips guys, I can add that making a gravity bong for the PD is a great idea. When I am using just the stem I can get 4-7 visible vapor clouds, and that is long pulls with a large lung capacity. When me and my friend use it, it just keeps on going, sometimes more than 7. Very impressive. But with the gravity bong I can get a very cloudy 1 and 1/2 two liters pull and a second with some visible vapor that still has a kick. :ko: And I don't think I have ever gone over 3 stems off the GB by myself. You get so much vapor with little air, when you take it all and hold it in for 10 seconds you are instantly gone on exhale. Me and my friends usually do 2 stems max. Still cant believe how stoned I get off of .05 :o . Everything else I know has been said, and 99% of what I know I learned from the fine people at FC. :D

Almost forgot! Must be too vaked! NYC That bowl is AWESOME! I love the colors and the prism looks really cool (especially from an angle!). I love how great the stem fits in there :cool: . My mom and brother actually saw Roger Waters I believe at the Meadowlands a few years back. I wasn't able to join them :/ . Roger Waters and David Gilmour did get on stage together at a recent benefit concert in the UK. First time since 2005. :o

uhhh THANK YOU

I didnt think anyone would say anything :lol:

To be honest, I used a TINY sliver of silicon tubing from my SV(NO TASTE, different then regular plastic whip tubing) at the very end of the mouthpiece, it helped a lot. the piece of silicon I used was about 1/8 of an inch long, pretty much just a band to help seal it in the bowl.
I did that after the shots though, it still fit quite well by itself :)

That sounds amazing, and thats quite a while, glad they finally did something together!

I just want to say again that that is the only combustion pipe I will hold on to forever, I will never give it up :ko:

Nycdeisel,

Ripbongs420

vapiff
Nycdeisel said:
uhhh THANK YOU

I didnt think anyone would say anything :lol:

To be honest, I used a TINY sliver of silicon tubing from my SV(NO TASTE, different then regular plastic whip tubing) at the very end of the mouthpiece, it helped a lot. the piece of silicon I used was about 1/8 of an inch long, pretty much just a band to help seal it in the bowl.
I did that after the shots though, it still fit quite well by itself :)

That sounds amazing, and thats quite a while, glad they finally did something together!

I just want to say again that that is the only combustion pipe I will hold on to forever, I will never give it up :ko:

No problem at all. :) It is an impressive piece. It would be up there in the best in glass, maybe top, if I was judging. I know I really dig it. I also tried to make a better seal with the stem with my bubblers, but their bowls are too large, I'm going to have to really use my McGyver stoner skills to rig it up, you have inspired me to try again. I still love my combustion pieces too, though they are rarely used now :/ . That's why I want to hook them up so bad. I have a black sandblasted sherlock bubbler (Knightrider). A 2 chambered bubbler that actually belongs to a friend who is serving (Zues). A 4 chambered I won in a LHS raffle, $20 worth of tickets! (Siddhartha, named by same friend while on leave) A large green pipe formally owned by my brother (Big Green). A smaller frosted and dark blue pipe (MrFreeze) A chillum, recently turned into glass stem (also owned by my brother, don't believe he named it), and for homemade I have the GB, An improved second attempt at a SG stemline type bong (stacks crazy and PD compatible since the chillum is what was regularly used), A 4 arm downstem LW type looking GonG bubbler that fits the stem perfect (also makes the entire chamber fill with bubbles). I have made so many with different types of percs, lengths, materials, I take pride in my homemade piece making abilities. Hopefully one day I can blow real glass pieces. That is kind of a dream I have. Sorry I kept going on and on.
In short awesome piece, I think converting combustion pipes to fit the PD is an great thing.

I'm sure Madcap will love it as well. :)

I loved the last picture so much I had to take out the date and time to make it flawless. Hope you don't mind. It is my background now! Here is a link to it if you want it without the text http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a478/milo420/PDdsotm.jpg and it at 640x480 (if you do want to enter it ;) ) http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a478/milo420/PDdsotm680.jpg .
Okay! Went even a little further. I know it could be quite possible that you love your sig the way it is, I think its fine, but I made some quick backgrounds with that pic, that I can easily add your name or anyone else if they want and your okay with that. Check them out, (I can add to them and possibly make them larger but I thought that the GC 300x125 rule was reasonable, also you can use it on there, though I love FC so much more.) Also don't feel bad if you are not interested, it took maybe 3 min. :lol:
Nycsig1.jpg
nycsig2.jpg
nycsig3.jpg

Ripbongs420,

Nycdeisel

I think so as well. The entire piece is so well designed, the shape, the thickness of the glass, the carb, etc. it is just perfect! I have a new found love for it now that I can use it without feeling dirty from smoking

madcap had seen it(the pipe by itself) already, but the pictures he'd seen previously were not as good as the ones in here ;)

haha wow! that is cool! I'll probably steal that picture without the date and time(not that they were correct anyway :p)

It sounds like you have quite a bit of glass, but you need some GonG pieces so you can use them with the PD(maybe snag a short stem or two from the site) :science:

Nycdeisel,

Ripbongs420

vapiff
Nycdeisel said:
It sounds like you have quite a bit of glass, but you need some GonG pieces so you can use them with the PD(maybe snag a short stem or two from the site) :science:
Your absolutely right. Don't want the imported crap the LHS around here mostly carry, I'm thinking saving up and getting something high quality from ALT. Kind of scares me though, I have gone through a fair share of glass :( RIP.

Ripbongs420,

Nycdeisel

I have broken quite a few things, mostly small pieces though thankfully. after I broke my first bong I pretty much learned my lesson.

Nycdeisel,

MajorDoobage

Stationary Traveler
Nycdeisel: Very nice glass! I'm liking the pink floyd love on this thread :)

jeffp said:
...If you're interested in a really good bong that's inexpensive and works great with the PD I'll post the link and with that you should also order a mini stem from the PD site - it's not necessary but it is more ergonomic.

I'd love to hear some suggestions regarding small cheap bongs that pair well with the PD.

Since the in-laws have been in town, I haven't really had a chance to use my new baby. I finally vaped a whole stem last night and WOW what a punch! I was not expecting to get so medicated off of one stem! I vaped right before bed, and had potent kaleidoscopic images dancing in my head as I drifted off to sleep. My experience with the PD has far surpassed my expectations! Such a cool little device.

A couple of things though:
- It seems as though my ground up bud doesn't stay in the stem as well as I'd hoped. I don't jam pack the bud in the stem; I usually leave about a millimeter of space. I use the straw method to suck up the herb. I don't have any "tools" to tamp the bud down, but have tried using tweezers and scissors unsuccessfully. When I gently tap the stem on the table to check if the bud is secure, a little to a lot of herb usually comes out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)
- Also, I'm guessing the little copper nub is the aromatherapy diffuser cup? I ask because I cleaned it out with soap and water, and it felt tacky on the outside. This lead me to believe that it had some kind of lubrication on it, and that maybe it is used for something else?

Thanks for all the help!

MajorDoobage,

Nycdeisel

As for the bong, Im pretty sure jeff was going to recommend the straight tube from ssfg, the 10-12 inch one that I also have. I had one and he got one and many people have found it a good pair since in this thread!

Nycdeisel,

Ripbongs420

vapiff
MajorDoobage said:
Nycdeisel: Very nice glass! I'm liking the pink floyd love on this thread :)

jeffp said:
...If you're interested in a really good bong that's inexpensive and works great with the PD I'll post the link and with that you should also order a mini stem from the PD site - it's not necessary but it is more ergonomic.

I'd love to hear some suggestions regarding small cheap bongs that pair well with the PD.

Since the in-laws have been in town, I haven't really had a chance to use my new baby. I finally vaped a whole stem last night and WOW what a punch! I was not expecting to get so medicated off of one stem! I vaped right before bed, and had potent kaleidoscopic images dancing in my head as I drifted off to sleep. My experience with the PD has far surpassed my expectations! Such a cool little device.

A couple of things though:
- It seems as though my ground up bud doesn't stay in the stem as well as I'd hoped. I don't jam pack the bud in the stem; I usually leave about a millimeter of space. I use the straw method to suck up the herb. I don't have any "tools" to tamp the bud down, but have tried using tweezers and scissors unsuccessfully. When I gently tap the stem on the table to check if the bud is secure, a little to a lot of herb usually comes out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)
- Also, I'm guessing the little copper nub is the aromatherapy diffuser cup? I ask because I cleaned it out with soap and water, and it felt tacky on the outside. This lead me to believe that it had some kind of lubrication on it, and that maybe it is used for something else?

Thanks for all the help!

Yes the little copper cup is the aromatherapy diffuser, I have heard it works great! Also I just suck up the herb, swipe off the excess hanging off (while still sucking), then turn it tip up, press my finger firmly against the top and twist. Which causes the bud to be pushed down about a millimeter. After it is usually secure to turn upside down. Some people say it is best to hold it at an angle for at least the first pull, so it stays put. It may just take you some practice, and the moisture, density, trichome size/abundance, ect. will have an slight effect on how loose or tight you can pack it for it to stay put and have good airflow, IME.

Nyc, I have yet to break a bong, my last pride and joy was accidentally broken in half by a friend. I loved that thing. Actually when I think about it, I have probably broken about 2 or 3 pipes, while others have broken 4 or so of mine. I hate when other people break one, at least if I do it, I can accept that I fucked up.

Ripbongs420,
Top Bottom