1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Post your decarb method here!

Discussion in 'Cooking with Cannabis' started by mikek9, Dec 23, 2015.

1. theaog

theaog Member

i've found that i can't control temperature in water as i don't use a pressure cooker i use a small portable hob i have found that a mason jar suspended in vegatable oil works great as i can control temperature with the oil bath much better within 1c either way and there is no chance of steam getting into mason jar i knew nothing about this method just replaced Boden's method of water with oil thanks again mate for the tips.

asdf420 and Boden like this.
  2. Dustydurban

Dustydurban Well-Known Member

Today I got a "Lift=Nova
    First batch :clap::tup:
    very pleased with the results
    never vaped pre decarbed herb:tup:
    1g broke up into everclear for test tinture
    so far so good

peaceonearth likes this.
  3. asdf420

asdf420 Well-Known Member

Seeing the pics of the nova, the end result is still green.
    Several sources do say that chlorophyll can cause nausea/vomiting/diarrhea. Maybe I'll try for myself if I'm so curious, lol. mostly worried about this because terpenes and a few cannabinoids would be lost by 'open' decarbing
    could just sealed-decarb a concentrate then, with minimal empty space, problem solved

I imagine the nova wouldn't be too different from making a sealed steel container and suspending it in an oil filled container on a hot plate like the above, or in a pressure cooker? Seems like the nova vacuum seals, since there is "zero smell". but reports say some smell does get through..

wish there were more reliable, scientific sources on temperature and time vs. results, rather difficult to find
    for example, there's some posts here saying a full decarb happens at room temperature after 4 months. but I read elsewhere that even after a year, only a few % of thc is decarbed. If only there was some place with condensed, proven information, rather than a bunch of hearsay..

w/e ill do 20 more mins at 100c and then infuse for 20 mins. & eat it without straining out the weed

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Dustydurban likes this.
  4. Dustydurban

Dustydurban Well-Known Member

It's caveman simple to use
    smells some, just a little not much at end of the batch
    and it works with no thinking, no watching,no temperture wondering
    the extract is a nice golden color
    it works

asdf420 likes this.
  5. theaog

theaog Member

asdf420 and Concupiscient like this.
  6. sickmanfraud

sickmanfraud Well-Known Member

240 F for 40 minutes.

zor and steama like this.
  7. Vital

Vital Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried one of these? Looks like a simple accurate way to decarb, at a reasonable price. :science:

https://store.magicalbutter.com/decarbox-thermometer-combo-pack.html

Here is a video they posted that tells the time and temperature they recommend:

Click to play YouTube Video

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    JCat, Alexis and CarolKing like this.
  8. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

@Vital I don’t have one but I’m very interested. I haven’t seen this before. I can see a market for the decarb box.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Vital likes this.
  9. theaog

theaog Member

[​IMG] i've just got my hands on a grants water bath for £20 set at 90c for 2 hrs works perfect for decarb.

Helios likes this.
  10. Vital

Vital Well-Known Member

Those things looks nice! :drool: Which model do you have, and what's the approximate cost of something like that? It's a scientific grade Sous-Vide! :lol:

11. theaog

theaog Member

Grants JB1 these are the older models which you get occasionally on ebay for cheap

12. Vital

Vital Well-Known Member

Thank You...what is the maximum temperature it reaches?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  13. theaog

theaog Member

max temp says 90c/194f but i had it to 110c/230f

14. Vital

Vital Well-Known Member

How'd you manage to get it to run hotter than its manufactured limits? :hmm:

I looked on eBay, but the ones I could find for sale right now are all "as is" in non working condition.

15. uncanni

uncanni Well-Known Member

If you have a friend over here (USA), you would save money just having someone ship a machine to you. If they are charging 250 pounds ($356) for a Magic Butter Machine, that is highway robbery!!!

16. ander

ander Well-Known Member

Not exactly a metod I suppose... but a way to get it, yes. Very simply... I fry the herb with extra virgin olive oil for 5', low flame. Then I usually spread the fried stuff on a cheese sandwich and toast it until crunchy. Delicious and effective I must say.

UnevenPizza, macbill, asdf420 and 3 others like this.
  17. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Excellent advice! Back in the day I had an entire closet dedicated to reshipping for nonUS friends.

uncanni likes this.
  18. UnevenPizza

UnevenPizza I dream of Pizza

Finally had some "ingredients" to use in my @DDave Cannacaps kit for the EQ again - some very pungent Amnesia :mmmm:

I decarbed it in the EQ with DDave's Plug in, at 210°C for 2 hours and then let it sit overnight. Today filled it into 00 gel caps and dripped some melted butter into them.
    Since I put the Soy lecithin in the butter too late, it didn't dissolve, so I just filled a cap with the granules and at it with the caps - 3 of them in total (probably could've fit it into 2 though). After decarbing it measured 0.4g.

I only had a small breakfast and didn't eat several hours before taking the caps, and about 20 minutes after taking them had a cheesy lunch. I could already feel short bursts of tinglyness shortly after taking the caps, and about 1 1/2 - 2 hours later got really nicely baked.

Really an easy way to make a small load/batch for 1, or a few micro doses for the week.

Getting the dosage right however, and when to eat..that'll require more testing! :science:

Cheers!

uncanni and DDave like this.
  19. Vital

Vital Well-Known Member

210°C??!!?!? :o Did you mean Fahrenheit?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    UnevenPizza likes this.
  20. UnevenPizza

Yeah, since the fan is off, the air rises simply because it's heated, and as it rises cools down. When it reaches the sealed chamber (the DDave mod, meaning the wire is closer to the heater) it's cooled down lower, I usually end up vaping on a lower temp with my air or Nano, much lower in fact, but for making caps I find 200 - 210 a pretty good temp, depends on the moisture content of the herbs though.

Is that still too high do you think?

21. Vital

Vital Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own formula, but if you read these links, you will see that they recommend a much lower temperature.

Read down where it says "Capsules and Tinctures"

https://hightimes.com/guides/concentrated-cannabis-part-iii-looking-beyond-the-smoke/

"Pay special attention to this sentence:
    Grind your dried flowers, spread them evenly on a baking sheet and put in the oven at 220°F (105°C) for 90 minutes to convert your THC-A."

If you read further down where it says "Extract Edibles"

"keep the temperature well below 245°F (118°C), as higher temps can cook off valuable cannabinoids and degrade potency."

You can also watch this video from MB. I posted it earlier a few posts up, but here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=cvpkKWi7ti4/

They recommend 120°C for 25-30 minutes.

Hope this helps... ;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    UnevenPizza likes this.
  22. UnevenPizza

Yeah, I also was a bit surprised by the relatively high temperature, but since I use a maybe a bit unconventional method to decarb, it is adjusted to achieve a similar result at a lower temp.

I am trying to examine the results closely to post more detail, I didn't cook the full 2 hrs this time, and also only let it sit for about 75 minutes.
    The idea is that after the heat cycle ends, the released cannabinoids seep back into the plant matter.
    This then can be ingested.

It's a nice repurpose of a vape (the Arizer EQ) that I wouldn't otherwise use. If I was serious about making edibles or something like that I'd probably get something better suited ;)

Have a nice week!

23. Vital

Vital Well-Known Member

My advice would be to ask @DDave since it's his ingenious invention. :bowdown:

Ask @DDave what temperature he's found to be optimal. :science:

Please let us know what he recommends.

Thanks UnevenPizza...You have a great week too! :)

UnevenPizza likes this.
  24. UnevenPizza

Well actually...

I got the kit for free from DDave to try, and I wrote a pretty long winded first impression /review back then haha. It's on FC somewhere.

We discussed Temps etc, and there are also pretty simple instructions included in the pack.

But I do recommend using it as a micro dosing kit.. I just ate a PBJ with an entire tightly packed load (probably 0.5g), and about half an hour later remembered that I have to go on a field trip tomorrow, whoops!:rofl::rip:

25. Vital

Vital Well-Known Member

What temperature(s) did the instructions and DDave recommend?

I love @DDave's mods...always very well thought out and thoroughly tested. :science:

@DDave is a F*CKING GENIUS!!! :bowdown:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Squiby likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors