1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Portables: Which one is right for me?

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by LeeNailon, Jan 18, 2014.

1. LeeNailon

LeeNailon New Member

A question for the grass gurus here - which portable should I buy for home use?

I have a Grasshopper on order, which will be my on-the-go vape (provided the damn thing works as advertised), so I'm really just looking for something to use around the house without being tied down to a Q or Volcano, and throw into a bag as a worst case scenario. My main interests are:

Firefly
    PAX
    Ascent
    Arizer Solo

I'm not looking for a vape to get me retarded, for that I'd rather smoke a blunt. I'm just looking for that nice enhanced feeling. I'm a pretty light user, I like to load up .1/.2 at a time and take two or three draws a few times a week. Price isn't really a concern since this is a long term investment, but it's still worth considering.

I've used a Solo and a PAX, and love them both. The Solo seems to give better hits and requires less cleaning, and costs less. Sacrificing a little portability in this situation is OK with me, but I'd still like to hear what y'all think. I don't know jack about the Ascent or the Firefly aside from what's said in the forums really.

If anyone has used all four, what do you think? If you're familiar with one or two of them, which do you think I should buy?

Thanks in advance for the help FC.

2. Trever

Trever Well-Known Member

Also consider the Firewood. Ive been following the FF thread for a bit and it is a definate consideration. Also the solo is always a great choice. Im all for a mostly convection portable unlike pax and ascent they just waste to much and the flavor never lasts or is as good as a mostly convection portable

Caligula and Fiend138 like this.
  3. Fiend138

Fiend138 New Member

Count out the Pax for these reasons. Solo feels like the best fit for what your looking for in my opinion. I have no experience with the other two.

4. kahlilhc

kahlilhc Serial Vapist

Solo FTW

StRaNgEcLoUdS, Caligula and smokum like this.
  5. Caligula

Caligula Maximus

6. LeeNailon

LeeNailon New Member

The Solo support is loud and clear. I think at this point it's between the Solo and Firefly.

How much material can the Solo hold at its max? And what's the bare minimum you can get a nice draw from? Sounds like the Firefly does 0.1 - 0.2 perfectly, which is right up my alley.

7. EveryDayAmnesiac

EveryDayAmnesiac I am a stupid asshole.

If you can afford it, I'd go Firefly. The Solo sounds like it'd be good for you, but if you got the extra coinage... Well, using this FF, once you have the technique down, is like this:

My other portables at this point feel more like:

But yeah, the Solo would do ya' just fine as well... it's a great vape at a good price with lots of versatility and is tried and true.

Here's a very long random rambling post I made in the FF thread that you might find helpful (at times):

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    Caligula likes this.
  8. thesoloman

thesoloman Well-Known Member

the solo will pack .1 to .2 just fine and has been around for a long time

Kief likes this.
  9. Caligula

Caligula Maximus

Doesnt the battery life on the FF suck a fat one though?

EveryDayAmnesiac likes this.
  10. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

Solo

Caligula and thesoloman like this.
  11. EveryDayAmnesiac

It would be fine for him, if he's using it as little as he says!

But yeah, overall, the FF comes up a little short in the battery department if you're going to be using it a lot. Needs extra batts and the external charger. I couldn't afford it then and can't now!

But damn, I'm keepin' it.

Caligula likes this.
  12. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

Actuality, a FF may be better for him with its instant on and off capabilities. He could come back to the same bowl better than with the solo

Caligula and EveryDayAmnesiac like this.
  13. EveryDayAmnesiac

Yeah it sounds like a perfect fit... if he's got the cash and doesn't mind taking a little chance with a new product.

Though we all know what a solid product the Solo is!

14. Caligula

Caligula Maximus

I dont have issues pulling the stem and saving the rest for later on the Solo. I havent used a FF yet so maybe im missing something?

15. EveryDayAmnesiac

I don't think you're missing anything.

But with the FF... you don't even have to pull off any stem. You just take your finger off the button, inhale 5 more seconds, and put the unit down. No more cook. No glass to break.

Of course... no glass to inhale through either. :shrug:

I simply enjoy being able to just grab the FF, turn it on, be done 30 seconds or less later, put it down.

No fuss, no muss. And damn, if it ain't a sexy beast.

Caligula likes this.
  16. LeeNailon

LeeNailon New Member

I've seen some people saying the FF puts out better taste than Solo, and some the opposite. What do you think? Also, what were you vaping before the FF?

17. EveryDayAmnesiac

I had a Solo for about three months and loved it. Sold it and really regret it. It really is a great vaporizer. Taste-wise... man, to me, it's just a hair above the FF and a hair below the Ascent. But all three are so close I really don't think it matters. Unless flavor is your main motivation, I wouldn't choose a Solo over the FF just because of that. I'd choose a Solo if you want something safe, tried and true, dependable and at a good price. I'd go FF if you feel like being a little flashy and a little sleek/techie/new and maybe want something that you can keep all in one unit. As much as I enjoyed the Solo, it did not give me the pleasure and satisfaction that the FF does. Nor does it work as quickly, if that matters.

But bear in mind the FF is damn new. I took the risk, and don't regret it, even at the cost. I FUCKING LOVE the FF. It's everything I hoped the Ascent would be. But the Solo is still the safer choice. Great for hitting through water too.

You'll probably just end up buying both.

For portables, I've used an MFLB, DV, Ascent, FF, Solo, Pax, Pinnacle, and VG. Not the most impressive list, but not a newb, either.

LeeNailon and RUDE BOY like this.
  18. Caligula

Caligula Maximus

Thats why I like leaving my E Nano on so muc... oh, right... Sorry. :(

RUDE BOY and EveryDayAmnesiac like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors