Portable Vape Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonbawl

Sorry if this is a repost, but the search function is giving me 505 errors.

Anyway, long time lurker, first time poster. just wanted to say hi and mention a few of my thoughts on portable vaportizers and get others' opinions as well. From the research i've done and the reviews i've read there are 3 portables that really catch my eye. that are on the market. An unreleased model i'm watching is the stealthvape.

• Wispr[/*]
- from iolite, which has been in the portables game a while, so the reputation is there. posh styling. Runs on butane. best price i've found is $250 or so on ebay.

• Thermovape[/*]
- electric. industrial styling. well reviewed like the wispr. runs on batteries. for around $250 on ebay.

• Vapor blunt[/*]
- electric. sleek styling. also well reviewed. runs on rechargeable battery. $199 on ebay.

My $.02. They all seem ultraportable which is key for me for discrete semi-public use. being within the relatively same price point makes them all comparable to me. Of these three i'd say i lean to the vapor-blunt. my reasoning: rechargeable unit - no batteries to worry about, no butane to recharge; bowl mixer - a nice feature; cheaper; flavored tips; supposedly offers thick clouds.

Im interested in others thoughts on my leanings and if there are comparable models out there i'm unaware of. I do like the looks of the mivape from vaporfection, though the price point is a little steep.

Thanks all! Happy Vaping!

lonbawl,

technique

Personally i would vote for the thermovape, i havent used any of them but from the reviews i have read i have been keeping an eye on that one myself.

I currently run a Vape or smoke for stealth and it has its short comings but lack of stealth certainly isnt one of them.

technique,

lonbawl

technique said:
Personally i would vote for the thermovape, i havent used any of them but from the reviews i have read i have been keeping an eye on that one myself.

I currently run a Vape or smoke for stealth and it has its short comings but lack of stealth certainly isnt one of them.

just curious as to your reasoning.

lonbawl,

technique

To be fair i should point out again this is just my personal choice having not tried any of them.

I didn't like the original iolite as i felt it didnt burn hot enough for me and also the wispr just isnt stealthy enough for me and thats a no no for my portable.

Of the two remaining i feel the thermo has a better review going for it but we really need someone who has tried 2-3 of these bad boys to jump in and give a real analysis of these (this forum is great for things like that)

oops where are my manners.... Welcome to fuck combustion (i see that said to all the new guys, its kinda nice to welcome in a new guy myself...... im family now :lol:)

technique,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I have not tried the VBlunt but the WISPR and Thermovape are both great vapes. They are both two different animals however. The Thermovape IMO will not feed more than 1 person. I get exactly where I want to be and then some with it but could not see handing it around as a party vape.

The WISPR IMO is a nice portable for groups of people and will produce consistent thick hits for about 10-20 minutes on a full bowl. The major drawback of the WISPR ( And Iolite) IMO is the hiss sound during heating. Over at a friends house, in the car, in the boat, it's not an issue, at the movies or the Inlaws is a different story.

Another choice you may want to consider is the Arizer Solo. Great taste, thick hits, rechargeable battery and glass stem. Not as small as some other portables but is very quiet and can serve a small group of people.

I think we can help you out a bit more if you let us know what your looking to get out of the vape ( Where and when you would normally use it).

Gonzo,

lonbawl

Thanks for the welcome technique!

Didnt want me first post to be a TLDR so admittedly I omitted some key aspects of vape rationale.

I've got the party thing covered with my Extreme Q. And my public use is usually 2-4 people, (car or backpacking is usually the where). Stealth is key. I tend to like those without constant disassembly ( stiring, battery change, etc.). Some temperature control is nice. Im not particularly fond of the need to have butane around either, i tend to be forgetful and lazy when it comes to having it on hand when needed. This is also a pain for travel.

I have only done a cursory review of the solo. I think i should look into it more since as i wrote down my expectations i began to realize the solo seems to provide all these features.

i thought i had more to say but apparently i cant remember it....God this maui wowie is good.... ;)

lonbawl,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
From your needs, I would recommend the Solo or the TV. Solo will be easier because of no battery swaps but remember there are two pieces to it, the glass stem and the unit. TV will be more durable but will provide great stealthy personal medication on the go. I suggest reading up on the two units throughly before making a purchase. Others may also chime in with suggestions.

I would also recommend only the M106 version of the Solo. Previous versions seem to have a history of problems (Yes, there are even reports of problems with some M105 models even though M105 and M106 models are supposed to be identical. Just my opinion). Which ever way you decide to, I would suggest lots of reading and research to avoid an unwanted purchase.

Gonzo,

turk

turk
......hey also interested in this topic ...I have a ssv and love it....any thoughts on lsv

Modnote: Please avoid derailing or side-tracking discussions. Please see the [topic=3767]LSV thread[/topic].

turk,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
What about MFLB? Have you considered it? Super small, fast, silent. Can hit great for a portable and has great taste. More difficult learning curve, than these you are deciding, but when learned properly, it's golden.

Seek,

Pcpvapors

The vaporblunt is a great unit, but it is by no means pocket friendly. It will fit, it'll just look like you have a sausage strapped to your leg. Will and does fit will in jacket though. I would definitely recommend over the MFLB, uses the same amount, and hits harder (IMO) plus there's no batteries or any moving parts simply touch wait and hit.

Pcpvapors,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
MFLB is stinky!!!, but small. I would say wait a week for the stealthvape, super cheap! Hopefully it doesn't let down. If it does even half what an MFLB can do , then it might just be a near perfect "stealth vape".

sessnet,

lonbawl

I like the design of the MFLB and its size, but I really don't like is that it is made of wood, a porous substance that, from older-unit pics ive seen, absorbs a lot of the soot and smell and dirt and so on over its life span. so eventually will be very unclean.

lonbawl,

PB88123

Vaporist
I've only used the SSV and ThermoVape and I find myself sticking to true convection.

Convection: You draw room temperature air over a heater and then the warm air goes through your herb and into your lungs.

Pros of the ThermoVape
Clean, tasty hits
5-10 seconds heat up so it is out of your pocket for 30 seconds.
If the batteries are dead just change them.
Carry it around as 1 piece.
Drop it and it still works.
Boil it to clean it.
Shake it to mix the bowl around for even vaping
Fits in your front pocket and isn't noticeable (for me)
Excellent support.
More accessories coming out.
Good for 1-3 people. My thinking is you pack a bowl with 3 people and each take 3 hits. Pack it again and each take another it. Spread the hits out so the device doesn't get hot and 3 people are medicated on 2 bowls and 2 sets of batteries.
I can hold the Thermovape so you can't see it and can pretend I am praying before a meal but really I am taking a hit.

Cons (some of these don't bother me but will add them as I see them in the TV thread)
Gets hot if used many times in a row
Batteries last 10 hits
Bowl lasts 8-15 hits depending how much you pack and how much you want to get out of your bowl
Warranty on the part that is used the most is 90 days (if it works for 90 days it will last a long time I suspect as long as you just use herb and only boil it to clean it)
Not good for a large group of people.

The SSV when plugged in is 30 watts when heating up and levels out around 20 watts. Basically the ThermoVape is like the SSV and 30 watts on a battery discharges it quickly

PB88123,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
lonbawl said:
I like the design of the MFLB and its size, but I really don't like is that it is made of wood, a porous substance that, from older-unit pics ive seen, absorbs a lot of the soot and smell and dirt and so on over its life span. so eventually will be very unclean.

Yes, actually very quickly unclean. My whip that I bought for it - stinks to high heaven now - I had to send it into oblivion by packing it in multiple containers. Now, I have a feeling it's my MFLB stinking up my room. I will proabaly have to send it far away also.

There is a new vape called the Atmos Raw, where the mouthpiece is made of rubber. I can only imagine what that rubber will smell like after several uses.

So far my ThermoVape seems nearly odorless, and it's good for a one-hitter type vape on the go. If you don't want to combust - maybe look into it for the stealth solution.

I really wanted to get the VaporBlunt - but the fact that it is made of plastic, and the really high price, made me worried that it might not be worth it in the long run. It seems great for a party-type vape - not sure about stealth. Overall, if I get a hard-hitting portable vape, I will seriously consider the VaporBlunt as my next purchase.

sessnet,

scottio19

scotty
Yep, my MFLB is dirty. Just the screen though, never cleaned it and I'm somewhat afraid to. I'll just wait until it craps out and I get a free new one with warranty.

Doesn't smell though. I could leave my MFLB out in my room and my mom wouldn't even smell it. But if I left a pipe out -even double bagged in a ziploc- she'd be like "Did you smoke in here?". Vape stuff doesn't smell nearly as much as smoke resin in my experience.

scottio19,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
The MFLB wood is top quality - not porous, easily cleanable, hard. If you clean the launch box every few weeks it should be the less smelly vape.

Seek,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
I think I might have combusted once or twice in my MFLB. I figure once I did that - is what gave it the "forever stink". Plus I found out how to look inside and I can actually see oil and particles under the screen.

Just knowing that there is probably enough trapped in my MFLB for AT LEAST one use - makes me feel way better about being able to clean THE WHOLE Thermovape, by boiling or wiping down/burning it out - something that I think no other electronic Vape can do?

sessnet,

weedemon

enthusiast
I own the thermo vape, and I will try ti give you a summary of that

the Thermovape is great if the following situation suits you too:
- You are looking to get one person medicated (it takes more than one bowl if you add a 2nd person IME)
- You are looking to get medicated, not looking for big clouds. What I'm saying is this thing works! But it doesn't show off when it does it(clouds are usually not very visible)! This is actually a plus for being discreet.
- The 3 batteries it comes with basically = 3 bowls for you before you need to hit the charger. (different story with the revolution adapter, many many more hits)
-Id say the process takes about 5-10 min from start to finish (packing your fresh bowl to dumping it out) depending on how much you rush. the exp is better if you are not rushed and have taken time to learn the hitting technique.

Other things to consider:
If you buy the TV1 then it will only cost you 80 bucks to get the revolution adapter, and now you have a kick ass oil vape too!

There is a Power adapter type device in the works. (I think the initial plan was for it to run off of a USB)

There is an e cig adapter too if you are into that kind of thing
-----------
I have my eye on the stealthvape too (if you are interested in that the magic flight launch box is also something to consider. very stealthy, but only offers smaller rips as a result.)

the following is jsut my opinion, but:
the vapor blunt looks like a giant magic marker. I don't like the look of all the plastic on it. the flavor tips looks like a gimmick to me too. I want to taste vapor, not other nasty shit. just my opinion (That said, I have read that people who tried it so far like it right? so what do I know?)

Wispr:
The original Iolite had taste issues(on some units, not all... strange) and then lets not forget reliability issues. Reading about these was enough alone to turn me off the idea of O&B products. Again I have never tried them, so maybe my opinion would be different if I used them.

weedemon,

max

Out to lunch
lonbawl said:
absorbs a lot of the soot
Soot would only be a problem if you combust with it, something most users have managed to avoid. It's not designed to compete with whip vapes in the hit dept.

scottio19 said:
I'll just wait until it craps out and I get a free new one with warranty.
They rarely crap out by themselves. Used as directed, there's hardly anything to go wrong. It's like waiting for a quality ceramic heating element to die-really long wait.

max,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
sessnet said:
lonbawl said:

Yes, actually very quickly unclean. My whip that I bought for it - stinks to high heaven now - I had to send it into oblivion by packing it in multiple containers. Now, I have a feeling it's my MFLB stinking up my room. I will proabaly have to send it far away also.

There is a new vape called the Atmos Raw, where the mouthpiece is made of rubber. I can only imagine what that rubber will smell like after several uses.

So far my ThermoVape seems nearly odorless, and it's good for a one-hitter type vape on the go. If you don't want to combust - maybe look into it for the stealth solution.

I really wanted to get the VaporBlunt - but the fact that it is made of plastic, and the really high price, made me worried that it might not be worth it in the long run. It seems great for a party-type vape - not sure about stealth. Overall, if I get a hard-hitting portable vape, I will seriously consider the VaporBlunt as my next purchase.

Surely it's easy to test whether the MFLB is responsible for stinking up your room. Why is it a suspect and not convicted or acquitted?

Any whip will start to smell in short order. I don't care what you use it with or what it's made from.

sessnet said:
I think I might have combusted once or twice in my MFLB. I figure once I did that - is what gave it the "forever stink". Plus I found out how to look inside and I can actually see oil and particles under the screen.

Just knowing that there is probably enough trapped in my MFLB for AT LEAST one use - makes me feel way better about being able to clean THE WHOLE Thermovape, by boiling or wiping down/burning it out - something that I think no other electronic Vape can do?

I don't think that's it. I've reached combustion in mine a couple of times. The first time was just silly, since I did it deliberately as a test, and the second time was a hot pocket accident. In each case there was a slight burnt smell for a day or so, but both the smell and the taste vanished completely fairly quickly. Also, the smell from combustion is distinctive and quite different from any weed smell.

Some buildup under the LB screen is normal. In approximately 18 months use of my regular LB I can see a layer under there, but if I try to collect some I can barely make a wire or toothpick dirty. If yours is collecting faster than that, I'm inclined to think you aren't clearing it after you hit. After all, the only place that buildup can come from is condensed vapour. As long as you're inhaling, there won't be any vapour to condense. If you stop inhaling too soon and leave vapour in there, you get buildup.

At any rate, the odour from my LB is so slight that when I show it to people and ask them what they think it's for, most of them can't guess even after I tell them to smell it. This LB has had a lot of stinky weed through it and I am a daily user, and these are all fellow weed enthusiasts. While yours might indeed be stinky, mine isn't, so clearly odour is not inevitable.

The way you can break down a Thermovape and thoroughly clean it is definitely a desirable feature and an advantage over the LB, especially for air travel or cross-border transport. On the other hand, lonbawl's fear of how dirty it can get is unjustified. It doesn't take much care to keep the LB clean, and the guy who owns a dirty one probably also has a bong with month old water in it. I suggest doubters drop by the LB thread and ask about user experience on this.

pakalolo,

lonbawl

Id have to say that in my mind the real competition has been between the TV and the VB.

though i see that the arizer solo is only like 170$ on ebay, which is enticing. I have read recently that people are having problems with theirs. At this point im just too lazy to go and read up on those issues.

I do appreciate all the feedback from everyone. it seems discussions like these can be never ending because of the fact it eventually comes down to personal preference. i realized that when i was initially searching for portable vapes i felt overwhelmed by the choices, but after you get a small enough sample size of the "best" available then ultimately it is a matter of give and take for the features you want.

Im sure by the time im ready to make a purchase there will be new offerings, but after getting caught up with the wave of products i think im in a fair position to judge how new products compare.

lonbawl,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
The Solo has gone through many changes in it's short life but the latest version (M106) seems to be trouble free and from what I can gather it appears owners are happy with their's (I am with mine at least). I had an earlier M103 Solo and was very unsatisfied. the newer version is miles ahead of the older version IMO and has replaced my WISPR is most every situation. I still use my WISPR but not nearly as much as before. No portable will be ideal for every situation, just pick the one that will fit your lifestyle most.

I will say each one gives me my required amount of medication :ko: just at different rates and doses.

Gonzo,

lonbawl

Gonzo said:
No portable will be ideal for every situation

The more I look at products I'm starting to think there should be 3 categories of vaporizers: stationary, portable, and steathy.

A lot of the portable units that have features I like are usually bigger, and the steathy ones i like give smaller hits and lose charge faster.

Seems like to have your cake and eat it too, you need a quiver of vapes to go to much in the wave of surfboards: one for every occasion. lol

lonbawl,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
pakalolo said:
Any whip will start to smell in short order. I don't care what you use it with or what it's made from.

I am not busting on the MFLB. I love it to death - although the wood isn't the most "cleanable" material. Especially parts that you cannot get to easily.

I clean it well and take care of it because I really do love it. I am pretty sure the times my friends used it, and left it around still loaded with the ABV, that the wood absorbed some smell. I noticed it stunk almost every time I came home and saw someone had used it.

However the whip stunk up my room something awful. I wasn't aware that a whip/silicon can absorb the smell so much. After I soaked it in ISO and washed it - it seemed to have stunk even more. I couldn't carry the whip around because the smell was so "obvious".

Smell plays a part in stealth, I was just sounding off on my own experience. My MFLB is still my go-to-vape at home, but I have switched to my ThermoVape for on-the-go and "stealth".

sessnet,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
lonbawl said:
Seems like to have your cake and eat it too, you need a quiver of vapes to go to much in the wave of surfboards: one for every occasion. lol

This is what leads most of us to VAS (vape aquisition syndrome). :lol:

Stu,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom