Phattpiggies Wood Shed

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
I imagine others reading this are also wanting to ask @The Beaglewhere he got his flask and mouthpiece from? Is it all custom blown or can it be found on DHgate?

The flask is from a local lab supply, I've seen some lab glassware on dhgate (two necks 1, two necks 2, three necks) but they have all 24mm necks so you'll need a 29 to 18 mm adapter that's not very common, especially if you want a low profile one. I also prefer to buy the Schott brand ones as their glass is very high quality and very resistent to temperature shocks. The mouthpiece is from the Herborizer sphere bubbler and is connected to the flask with a regular 14 to 18 mm adapter. It would be better to use a 14mm mouthpiece to skip the adapter but I can't find a mass produced one I like and at the moment I don't care enough to have a custom one made. Or it would be very cool to have an adapter with a built in splash guard like this one.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Ed's TnT Many thanks, it's been great so far and it's set to get even better.

@VanCough lab glass of all shapes and sizes out there,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250ml-19-14...50c9098&pid=100623&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=132230801432

I like this pear shaped one, similar to @Copacetic sketches
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100ml-Pear-...640448?hash=item2a526f1e80:g:lJAAAOSwrklVeQ~U

Last but one order is just waiting on a final sand and it'll get shipped. I wasn't happy with the first 14mm so did another.
wdXpKF8.jpg

The last 2 stems from this round are prep'd, and I'm hoping to get them done over the next week.

Then it all starts again.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
A year ago today I made the decision to take a massive step out of my comfort zone and turn and sell stems.
I've all but given up my usual day work, little jobs once in a blue moon for long time customers is about it.

I've taken a hit to the pocket but I've got a very, very tolerant, non-mj using other half, she's been better than great.
She's happy with me pootling about and as she says it's not cost anything and I'm in profit, which is all good.

It's all new to me and I'm learning as I go, working out how to do things, making custom mandrels, bushings, buying tooling and wood has all kept me on my toes. Learning new and adding to existing skills.

I've had encouragement from all over the place and I try and pass that on to anyone who've I spoken to about this industry.
The market is already huge and is only going to get bigger as other governments wake up to the tax revenues.

The last 2 stems of this round are finished, I can see why the pen turners seal everything with CA glue.
This is an odd wood to turn, but I suppose I'd be a little strange after a couple of thousand years in a bog.
Blackwood and Bog Oak 'Dark Matters' inspired WS stems.

And to celebrate a year in the shed lets kick off a new list.
Last time it worked quite well so it's going to be run the same way.

I shall be leaving all the conversation and my inbox will be cleared tonight, the date of our original contact relates to your place on the list.
I will screen shot the pages of PM's.

No messages will be showing my side so you must contact me with the original PM not a new one.

There is going to be plenty of time for folk to get back to me as I am well aware not everyone is on FC daily, weekly or in some cases monthly.
This gives everyone who's been in touch a fair chance.

I'm on here, VaporAsylum and IG and have had enquiries on all three, I've no idea what's coming so cannot offer any kind of time scale, patience is all I ask and when it's your turn we will be in communication.

Any and all ideas and suggestions are more than welcome.
I've been asked about an alternative to Paypal and can pass on my banking details for any one who'd prefer.
Paypal may well catch up with me at some point but I'll cross that bridge as and when, after all I sell 'pen stems'.

Everything about Phattpiggies Wood Shed has been a great experience and it's way, way better than I ever expected.

You people have made this a fantastic year for me, I can't express my gratitude enough for the support you've shown.

Thank you all.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I can't let myself
I love that, it almost sounds like you've convinced yourself.
Shame as I could well have some absolutely stunning glass stems coming.
No idea when but it's getting closer.
Any ideas Stormy get in touch it'll be a pleasure.

@KeroZen There's a lot of men out there with my well used underwear, they all think I'm a leggy blonde called Tiffany. Nice little side line if it wasnt for all the nasty chaffing.

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Ha ha @phattpiggie and @KeroZen you're reminding me of a scene in a terrible movie called Striptease where a congressman (Burt Reynolds) has his assistant go steal the dryer lint of a stripper he's obsessed with (Demi Moore).

I love that, it almost sounds like you've convinced yourself.
Shame as I could well have some absolutely stunning glass stems coming.
Damn it! Pretty glass, my other weakness... I retract my previous statement. There's probably a 100% chance I'm getting another vapcap stem from you.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
You've got to hand it to him he always looked like he was having fun

Can you see where this is headed??
yc49CUZ.jpg

Had a bundle of responses to getting in on the next round of orders, plenty of time before I work it all out and set to.

I'll be spending the time getting a bit of 'stock' built up, amongst other things.
The last few days has been prep work for some 150mm pieces.
All good this end
Td49nIt.jpg

Not so hot this end, all but one will work
03O8p9p.jpg

A little video showing how I get a 4mm tube into a 150mm stem

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Out of the ten 'wondering' drill blanks it was clear only 9 would make it, 3rd from the right was never going to be a 150mm stem. So it'll end up a little smaller and I did another one to make up for it.
Here's how a blank looks when it's off a little.
And here's how they all look now they've been turned, little bit of finishing and it's on to the next lot.
gB0EwKC.jpg

Left to right
Osage Orange, Figured Walnut, Pink Ivory, Cocoblolo, Yew, Masur Birch, Goncalo Alves, Padauk,
Tasmainian Figured Blackwood and Ovangkol. All 150mm'ish.

Been a good response to the next list so far, funnily from people who are relatively new to the forum.

Don't forget to get in touch I'll keep the list open for another week or so.
Use the PM from out first conversation rather than a new one.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Monday and Tuesday really threw a spanner in my turning groove.
I'd forgotten how much of a ball ache ensuite's and clearing guttering can be, especially when there's a 4 foot buddleia in a the valley.

Put a stem together and it broke on Wednesday so I threw the turning towel in and did some other jobs that need doing.

Today started and finished a lot better.
Blackwood, brass and a green acrylic.
nySancEm.jpg
CLEEnZqm.jpg

I'll get some better pictures as these really don't do the acrylic justice.
JLDOlyd.jpg

GlFg044.jpg

Placed a 'lucky dip' order with someone who's got a lot of very different species in stock. Sent him $30 and asked for two blanks of one species, which looked very different to the norm, and the rest is going to be a surprise.

List is still open so if you PM'd me then use that message to contact me again to get in on this round.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Had a bit of time over the last week with my little one so it's been busy in a different kind of a way.

List is now closed, there's been a great response and many thanks to every one who got in touch.
I'll contact each of you so you're kept in the loop.

@Vap O matic no joy on the UV with that acrylic, there are other blanks available which I'll be looking in to.

@needalift no worries, I'm sure you'll let us know how it's received once it lands with you.

@sixstringsmash glad you like them, the most travelled stems, ever.

I got some lovely blanks arrive and I turned a really nice stem for Mom of the Goons.
Unfortunately even tho she's no longer on FC I can't show you what it turned out like as it'll spoil the surprise.

This is all anyone, except myself and @Ed's TnT, has seen of it. Once she's got it I'll post a bit of video.

Found time to make some progress on getting 10 segmented stems done, the 2 on the right are the same mystery wood as Mom's, hence the tape.
pverh8d.jpg

Left to right, Lacewood, Figured Walnut, Sumac, Bocote, London Plane Burr, Tiger Rengas, Rippled Ash and Fiddleback Catalpa.

Bought some Tagua nuts to use as accents, it's used as an Ivory substitute, odd things to turn.
4iqQq04m.jpg
uzxzlkum.jpg

They all have big cracks and voids in them so it's hit and miss whether or not they are of any use.
First one, top, didn't like the pressure I put on it when it was held in my chuck and it spat itself off the lathe.
Second one, lower right, shows how the cracking can be. No idea what's inside of the nut until you get stuck in.
Left hand one got a Crab Apple top and a mushy was born, you have to turn mushrooms when you've got a lathe, rude not to.
rk5tzspm.jpg
fn5PlGcm.jpg

Had a bit of time to explore an idea, convection powered VC. The bowl is flush with the narrow end of the 18mm joint and held in place with the black O ring.
OkvP5WRm.jpg
rgRE6ADm.jpg

Again many thanks for the response to this round of orders, it'll be good to see what you've got planned for me.

Top Bottom