PBW & the Chemistry of Clean

bleak

Stoner Gear Peddler
Accessory Maker
I did another photo test, this time the glass was a bit more dirty. Its not filthy, but its as about as far gone as I'll let my glass go :)

Before and after shots.

BFmeXhV.jpg

VI009UJ.jpg

AHuBAMh.jpg

P3Lsbe3.jpg

v6XSPu2.jpg

CBKttdX.jpg

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Crispy crisp. Im waiting for my PBW to arrive. I hear hot water can crack glass. Do you run it through hot water or cold?

Live-N-Learn,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I hear hot water can crack glass. Do you run it through hot water or cold?

Thermal shock is what cracks glass, a rapid, uneven temperature change. Like adding ice to a glass of warm water.

To be on the safe side, start with warm water and let your glass's temp. stabilize before you add steaming hot water. Same is true for washing and adding cold water.

"Borosilicate glass is made to withstand thermal shock better than most other glass through a combination of reduced expansion coefficient and greater strength"

b0

Cloudy...
Anyone know where I can buy this online in Europe? I need to try this

b0,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard

Didn't find a PBW reseller in EU but there is an alternative just as good if not better : percarbonate + zeolites + polycarboxylates.

The sodium percarbonate can be found anywhere, and for the zeolites + polycarboxylate the most accessible source is to use some calgon in the powder form (check behind the box, it should be >30% zeolites, >5% polycarboxylate)

Half of each powder and here you go.

Roger D,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<

Try some OxiClean (sodium percarbonate). Not as effective as PBW, but gives you an idea of the cleaning power of sodium carbonate.

Or if you don't have access to OxiClean, some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) + hydrogen peroxide can come pretty close.

Tweak,
Reactions: b0

vape4life

Banned for life
So is there a concern for the "white film" with PBW? I gave up on it due to this. Luckily I was able to get it out with lots of iso and salt washes and very hot water, and vinegar.

vape4life,

b0

Cloudy...
Calgon is really easy to found around here, not sure about sodium percarbonate or OxiClean, will try to find it. I also have a friend starting his own Beer company, so I will ask him if he has something similar to PBW.

b0,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
Calgon is really easy to found around here, not sure about sodium percarbonate or OxiClean, will try to find it. I also have a friend starting his own Beer company, so I will ask him if he has something similar to PBW.

Or if you don't have access to OxiClean, some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) + hydrogen peroxide can come pretty close.

Baking Soda is a pretty easy item to find. if you can't find any in your house hold, ask a neighbor or that co-worker who always brings in cookies around christmas time.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

TigerLord

Alias for BradyY
So is there a concern for the "white film" with PBW? I gave up on it due to this. Luckily I was able to get it out with lots of iso and salt washes and very hot water, and vinegar.

I didnt get any white film both times I've used it, but I rinsed with cold water thoroughly after the wash.

The hard water theory is sound. In Montreal you'll get 150ppm but in the GTA you could get as much as 300ppm in some places. It depends on what kind of filtration and treatment system the city uses.

If you want to be very anal about cleaning I would invest in a RO filter and make my own 0ppm water, then boil that and use it for the cleaning with PBW. Boiling water on an induction boiler literally takes seconds, and with a RO filter you could keep a few 1 gallon jugs around for a quick and easy clean.

It's worth looking into when you're taking about expensive glass like a Mobius piece.

TigerLord,

vape4life

Banned for life
Absolutely Tiger, I actually will be getting an R/O system soon and take your advice. I always rinsed with HOT water.

vape4life,
Reactions: TigerLord

LetsAllMeltDownTogether

For those with the mysterious PBW stains.. Try a vinegar soak/shake after rinsing out the PBW. After the vinegar make sure you only rinse with distilled water. Try and drip the remaining water out of your piece before it dries. I haven't noticed the film since switching my final rinses from tap to distilled.

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
I got NY tap water lol, would a cold rinse after a hot PBW wash work as well? Or do you need that pure water for the glass? If I cop my Mobius I want to clean it right and not damage the glass that makes me go :o

Live-N-Learn,
Reactions: vape4life

LetsAllMeltDownTogether

I find that most tap water has a lot of minerals in it like salt and calcium. When you leave out the glass to dry, if you've rinsed with tap, those drops of mineral water dry and stick to the glass. My tap isn't healthy to drink and I've always had problems with hard water stains. You may not need distilled in NY. Vinegar may also help in keeping the glass clean and I believe it neutralizes the ph of PBW. I also noticed a film when I used ISO and salt to rinse for what that's worth.

LetsAllMeltDownTogether,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
I understand. Its not so much the PBW or iso and salt, as it is the water you use to rinse out the glass which causes the buildup. Seems tricky unless you use that distilled water. I dont wanna waste a bottle of water everytime i clean but maybe i just will after a hot wash with PBW.

MY PBW still hasnt arrived from amazon yet either :\

Live-N-Learn,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I always spray my citric acid + vegetable glycerin solution while rinsing with my hot tap water

Roger D,
Reactions: t-dub

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Wow 20 minutes later my PBW arrives to the office. I like to think me posting had something to do with it arriving. :razz:

Live-N-Learn,

TigerLord

Alias for BradyY
I dont wanna waste a bottle of water everytime i clean but maybe i just will after a hot wash with PBW.

Get a RO filter. Bulkreefsupply has a great 5 stage filter for about 150$ shipped (this is where I got it from because they make their own, but you can get it from anywhere) and make your own RO water for cleaning.

what pieces are you cleaning, TL, if I may ask?

A simple 1 stage bubbler (black leaf)

TigerLord,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
I dont know anything about purifying water, I just buy bottled water. Will this save me money over time? Do I need to replace things every few months, and is it expensive to replace if so?

All those factors are why I just buy bottled water lol

Oh heres a picca of me PBW all taped up for shipping safety
120s6s2.jpg

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I just want to add to this film thingy that I can't duplicate, although I do think the water is the variable here, I never let my pieces dry. As soon as its clean warm RezBlock goes straight in and is used to coat all interior surfaces. Also, I have noticed that the PBW gets my glass SO clean that I am noticing fingerprints now, quite clearly :tinfoil: , so I guess the next step is white gloves while I use/touch my glass . . . :lol:

sempervirens

I dont know anything about purifying water, I just buy bottled water. Will this save me money over time? Do I need to replace things every few months, and is it expensive to replace if so?

All those factors are why I just buy bottled water lol

Warning: not speaking directly from experience so take with a grain of salt.
Over time, an r/o filter WILL save you money AND it will give you purer water than bottled water. Check your bottles; most likely, they say something like 'minerals added for taste'. Those minerals are exactly what you don't want on your glass (and what the filter will be removing), although at the same time they are what you want to drink.

sempervirens,
Top Bottom