Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinnphamm

you need to take apart your pax to remove the spring? that could void the warranty.
but haven't heard if it does or not .

btw could you post a few pics of the inside of your pax before cleaning
been working on a fix for this issue, so far using a different lube is doing wonders,

i done one mod on mine so far plus change the lube have another to try but so far never seen those issues i don't even need to clean my paxes just wish i had more ppl trying the lube i use see if they get same results.

the lube is the same stuff they use on super automatic coffee machines hi temp
petrol-gel-sanitary-lubricant-4-oz-tube.jpg

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/pet...-4-oz-tube/401PETROGEL.html?utm_source=Amazon[/quote

I do not need to take apart the Pax to get the spring out. I only need to take the mouthpiece off. When you look at the unit, you'll see that there is space between the air path and the plastic around it. The spring lies in there. You'll need something pretty stiff to get the spring out. I have a wax carver set that I use for BHO dabs. I'm able to pull the spring out that way.

kevinnphamm,

armin

That reminds me....I nearly forgot to discuss "cleaning" in my prior post.

I'm not sure what I'd do with 45 minutes to clean my PAX....I think I could clean 9 of them good as new in 45 minutes if cleaned weekly at my level of usage. I've spent 30+ minutes per clean on my old combustos.....but pax is an easy 5 minute job. For those of us that enjoy the "ritual" of a utensil....the PAX provides ritual in spades. I actually enjoy cleaning the ole PAX and its good as new with about 5 minutes of my ritual pampering. I use ISO, Q tips, DenTek piks, and pipe cleaners. Another difference between my experience and the general tone of this thread with regard to cleaning....I think the PAX is EASY PEASY to clean....and I clean it relatively often. I'd bet that a fair amount of cleaning "issues" arise from the use of oils, waxes and various other non flower yummies.

I've spent 3 hours before cleaning a dirty as shat hand me down bongzilla. But that was exhausting and I never want to do thta again. But boy, seeing it go from black filth to a basically brand new bongdatious was rad. But to much work. Now i clean it once a wek for about 20 minutes with an overnight soak in iso and salt. But hopiong the pax is not as labor intensive on the cleaning!

The hard bristles are just a hard plastic, not wire. All pipe cleaners have a wire running down the middle, but I've never seen a pipe cleaner with wire bristles. Then again, I've never looked for pipe cleaners with wire bristles.

I have a very detailed and expanisve cleaing kit for my pistols and such. How do you feel about steel, copper and brass mini brushes? Too abrasive perhaps...

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
armin,

kevinnphamm

I've spent 3 hours before cleaning a dirty as shat hand me down bongzilla. But that was exhausting and I never want to do thta again. But boy, seeing it go from black filth to a basically brand new bongdatious was rad. But to much work. Now i clean it once a wek for about 20 minutes with an overnight soak in iso and salt. But hopiong the pax is not as labor intensive on the cleaning!

At first, I cleaned my Pax every 3-5 sessions. I came to realize that the only reason why I clean it would be for the taste. The unit itself works well for awhile without cleaning, and you'll definitely know when to clean. (Sticky mouthpiece, temp light issues).

I have a very detailed and expanisve cleaing kit for my pistols and such. How do you feel about steel, copper and brass mini brushes? Too abrasive perhaps...

I'm sure those will be okay. I always use steel wool, that scrubs the scum off the screen very well. For those joining the thread, here's a simple cleaning process.

Things you need to clean:
Isopropyl Alcohol (I use 91%, use whatever you want)
Propylene Glycol (I use this to lube the spring)
Steel Wool #00
Q-Tips
Water
Pipe Cleaners (I use Zen brand, bought it off amazon)
Some kind of metal rod that can fit through the air hole just in case the screen gets stuck and the pipe cleaner can't get it off. I just use a a needle from crocheting.

CLEANING:
1. Get pipe cleaner wet with ISO alcohol (I dip it very briefly and pat it on a napkin.)
2. Clean airpath by putting pipe cleaner through. (depending on how dirty, you may have to use more than one)
3. Pop the screen out.
4. TURN ON YOUR PAX with oven door on.
5. Take the steel wool, put a tiny bit of ISO on it and scrub the screen CLEAN.
6. By the end of cleaning the screen, your PAX should be warm.
7. Pop the oven door.
8. Dunk Q-Tip in water.
9. Scrub the inside of the PAX and watch it sizzle!
10. Put a tiny bit of Propylene Glycol (literally a drop) into the spring chamber.
11. Put the screen back in, THE PAX IS STILL HOT (i've burned myself a couple of times due to my stupidity)
12. Leave it on for a bit before smoking, to get vaporize any alcohol or propylene residue.

armin

At first, I cleaned my Pax every 3-5 sessions. I came to realize that the only reason why I clean it would be for the taste. The unit itself works well for awhile without cleaning, and you'll definitely know when to clean. (Sticky mouthpiece, temp light issues).

I'm sure those will be okay. I always use steel wool, that scrubs the scum off the screen very well. For those joining the thread, here's a simple cleaning process.

Things you need to clean:
Isopropyl Alcohol (I use 91%, use whatever you want)
Propylene Glycol (I use this to lube the spring)
Steel Wool #00
Q-Tips
Water
Pipe Cleaners (I use Zen brand, bought it off amazon)
Some kind of metal rod that can fit through the air hole just in case the screen gets stuck and the pipe cleaner can't get it off. I just use a a needle from crocheting.

CLEANING:
1. Get pipe cleaner wet with ISO alcohol (I dip it very briefly and pat it on a napkin.)
2. Clean airpath by putting pipe cleaner through. (depending on how dirty, you may have to use more than one)
3. Pop the screen out.
4. TURN ON YOUR PAX with oven door on.
5. Take the steel wool, put a tiny bit of ISO on it and scrub the screen CLEAN.
6. By the end of cleaning the screen, your PAX should be warm.
7. Pop the oven door.
8. Dunk Q-Tip in water.
9. Scrub the inside of the PAX and watch it sizzle!
10. Put a tiny bit of Propylene Glycol (literally a drop) into the spring chamber.
11. Put the screen back in, THE PAX IS STILL HOT (i've burned myself a couple of times due to my stupidity)
12. Leave it on for a bit before smoking, to get vaporize any alcohol or propylene residue.
This should be a sticky or on the wiki.

armin,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.

Overkill and the chance of damaging the vapor path tube. No one wants to breath in microscopic steel or brass dust.

Deadshort480,

Shadowdjinni

45 minute cleaning session? For reals?

I make sure to get as much resin out as possible. My oven near the hole under the screen and on the walls have like zero resin and look almost brand new still after having it since May.

I only use 00g steelwool, dipped in the 95% iso, when I'm getting the resin off the screen.

Shadowdjinni,

SirDarkened

So there is a problem.
It shuts off during cleaning.
Temp light issue occurs frequently as if the mouth piece isn't in right.
Battery only lasts for 1 20-30 minute session and then dies.
After charging the Pax will not turn on for a few minutes.

It still works when it does work but it is also frequently going from green to purple during use even if you don't hit it.

I'm going to try and use it until sunday and then send it back.

SirDarkened,
just picked up a PAX from a seller on ebay, he had it listed as new but some minor scuffs on the mouthpiece and bowl lid make me think otherwise. It hits beautifully but after heating up the green light only stays on for a brief period of time then goes back to purple and after some time (everytime its a different amount of waiting some short some a minute or more) it goes back to green. On all the demo videos I watched the green light seems to stay on, is this a sign this was used and in fact has an issue with the mouthpiece being clean? the unit works but i am not a fan of buying items that are listed as new when they are infact not

reefer sutherland,

jabba

just picked up a PAX from a seller on ebay, he had it listed as new but some minor scuffs on the mouthpiece and bowl lid make me think otherwise. It hits beautifully but after heating up the green light only stays on for a brief period of time then goes back to purple and after some time (everytime its a different amount of waiting some short some a minute or more) it goes back to green. On all the demo videos I watched the green light seems to stay on, is this a sign this was used and in fact has an issue with the mouthpiece being clean? the unit works but i am not a fan of buying items that are listed as new when they are infact not

It is not necessarily a "sign of being used", however, this is a possibility. It would be hard to clean the PAX to such a degree that it smells NEW after several/many uses IMO. The "mouthpiece issue" typically presents when the light reverts to the temperature setting (yellow, orange, or red) during use rather than green (which indicates that it is properly heated to preset temperature). It could turn purple during your use/draws as a normal PAX function which indicates that it is heating back up to your desired temperature, however, mine seldom does this during use and typically remains entirely green during a session. I'd try following the cleaning protocol described in this forum to see if it helps, however, your symptoms indicate the need for a warranty service and/or replacement (which you will not get due to your Ebay purchase).

jabba,

Wizsteve

[

if you pack the oven it will stay green ,its airflow that cools it down but if the oven is packed you find it works a lot better i set mine to hi (red) when it turns green i turn it down to low (yellow),

Wizsteve,
thank you for your responses. when i received the PAX it had a charge already (less than half) so last night i gave it a full charge thinking that might be why it isnt staying green. The unit does stay green for longer but it slips into standby mode even while im in the middle of a hit. I cannot seem to get it into party mode to bypass standby no matter how many times i try. Is it possible this is a defective unit or one of the counterfeit ones I read about?

reefer sutherland,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
Does anyone know if Ploom does promotions? Or freebies? I took a nice photo of the Pax today while on a hike and was wondering if it was worth anything to the people at Ploom. I know that you can send photos to snowboarding companies and they will send you stuff (I have done that before).

ILoveCollege,

KidneyStoner

Best Pax tool I have found so far is just as simple as a radio removal tool for a car stereo. they send 2 in the box when you buy a new radio. its just an L shaped piece of metal. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Should I post a pic?

KidneyStoner,

welderboy

its 4:20 somewhere.....
I had to return my Pax due to a broken temp button, so I un-soldered my bullet connectors and re-soldered the original battery back in. One of my O-rings was broken so I crazy glued it in place and put my Pax back together. Sent it back to Ploom and crossed my fingers. I received an e mail the other day stating that I was getting a new Pax and today I got a slip in the mail that my Pax was at the post office. I'm really impressed with Ploom's customer service since this is my third replacement. I'm done tinkering with the pax though, I'll just run the original battery till it dies and replace it with a 3400mah battery when the time comes, since I have like four brand new ones laying around.....cheers!!!!

welderboy,

GustavoFringsFace

Medium, then finish on high is my new jam. I find the high a lot more pleasant, does anyone find that a lot of vaping on the low setting gets a little racey? Probably just the strains I'm smoking.

GustavoFringsFace,
Reactions: TommydCat

GustavoFringsFace

I remember reading about that method. Might have to give it a go.

So it goes normal pax screen > bud > squash it with the brass screen?

GustavoFringsFace,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Medium, then finish on high is my new jam. I find the high a lot more pleasant, does anyone find that a lot of vaping on the low setting gets a little racey? Probably just the strains I'm smoking.
Sounds like it. Lower vape temps will vape THC but not the more sedating CBD (or if it does, not as much as high temps). If you do a low temp sesh and come back to the same load at a different temp later, you can notice differences in effects.

Teedub

Best Pax tool I have found so far is just as simple as a radio removal tool for a car stereo. they send 2 in the box when you buy a new radio. its just an L shaped piece of metal. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Should I post a pic?
please do :)

ive seen Y tools im intrigued by your L

Teedub,
Reactions: armin

DamVapes

I've recently come back to using my Pax after a break for testing the Vapman and finally a Solo. I started reading this thread backwards and ordered some glass jacks, and some titanium razor foil.

First of all I have been absolutely blown away by the Pax with these tiny changes, I LOVE IT AGAIN!!!

I had a kind of love/hate relationship with my Pax, I have an issue where it flashes then dies. I noticed now that i only have this issue if i remove my Pax from its charging dock when its not fully charged and indicating a green light. So now i just run it until its dead and charge it back to full and rely on my Vapman when this happens. I think this could maybe just be a battery issue though and if i swap it maybe it will cure it.

The glass jacks method IMHO is not as great as using a Pax screen over the top of your bud, then a bent one to hold it in place.

Does anyone know of any micro bubblers available in the UK i can adapt for my Pax? As a medical user i find it increasingly difficult to achieve an adequate dose quickly enough to subdue my pain symptoms.

Any advice on bubbler attachments would be greatly appreciated. I've been checking out the F-Bomb but by the time i import one its getting expensive. I would like one small enough to remain portable too, if its not too much to ask for :rolleyes:

Take it easy!

DamVapes,

HSIHP

I've recently come back to using my Pax after a break for testing the Vapman and finally a Solo. I started reading this thread backwards and ordered some glass jacks, and some titanium razor foil.

First of all I have been absolutely blown away by the Pax with these tiny changes, I LOVE IT AGAIN!!!

I had a kind of love/hate relationship with my Pax, I have an issue where it flashes then dies. I noticed now that i only have this issue if i remove my Pax from its charging dock when its not fully charged and indicating a green light. So now i just run it until its dead and charge it back to full and rely on my Vapman when this happens. I think this could maybe just be a battery issue though and if i swap it maybe it will cure it.

The glass jacks method IMHO is not as great as using a Pax screen over the top of your bud, then a bent one to hold it in place.

Does anyone know of any micro bubblers available in the UK i can adapt for my Pax? As a medical user i find it increasingly difficult to achieve an adequate dose quickly enough to subdue my pain symptoms.

Any advice on bubbler attachments would be greatly appreciated. I've been checking out the F-Bomb but by the time i import one its getting expensive. I would like one small enough to remain portable too, if its not too much to ask for :rolleyes:

Take it easy!

I would suggest looking at the Pinnicle Water Tool. It's pretty cheap and work very well.

HSIHP,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom