Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Read the studies on long term effects on cell phone use...
That should stop you from worrying about breathing air that has been near a battery!:lol:

Vitolo,

JoeKickass

=Anyone have any information on the long-term effects of using a Pax?
No hard studies of course but the airpath is pretty well isolated, the plastics don't deform, and if you clean it you don't smell anything (I don't)

The nice thing about vaporizing is that you're breathing air that has only been 400-450F max. Unlike combustion where temps can reach thousands of degrees, and all kinds of chemical reactions can happen, out relatively low vaping temp limits us to basic melting and off-gassing concerns. I think these usually give visual or smell indications and the plastic near the oven of my pax looks the same as new.

JoeKickass,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
I smoked cigarettes for 18 years. I'm more worried about the long term effects of that. I'm not too worried about the vapor passing through a stainless steel tube and a minuscule amount of plastic mouthpiece. The battery and circuit board are in a section that is isolated from the section that contains the stainless steel vapor tube.

Deadshort480,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.

http://www.amazon.com/ThinkBamboo-Brand-Premium-Paddle-Skewers/dp/B002LKCJ42/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1369330784&sr=8-13&keywords=bamboo picks
I still say these are better, you get a lot for the price and they have a ZERO chance of scratching your oven, plus if you loose one you got like 300 more :) You can cut these down to mini's, the woods really soft I can whittle a little scoop on one end with two swipes of a knife.

Mr.Krinkle,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

I still say these are better, you get a lot for the price and they have a ZERO chance of scratching your oven.

I fear scratching my oven as well. So i only use the Vape Mini Tool to tamp down the load.

Plus i always dump the load right after my session while still hot. Pretty much always fall right out of the oven.

Some times when i have "couch lock" and forget to dump it while hot. I just use a regular wooden toothpick and just poke around till it breaks up enough to dump.

Just trying to do my part to "Go Green."

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,
Reactions: Mr.Krinkle

andee145

Wanted to share my experience re Ploom customer service, warranty etc.

I had bought a Pax in Dec 2012, was really enjoying it until it started having some electrical charging issues and the unit went dead. I thought, here goes again, since I have used the IOlite, MLFB, INH etc. in the past, which all work great when they work great, but also flake out or break over time.

On this instance with Pax, I contacted their customer service via email. They sent me a prepaid priority mail slip to send the dead unit and charger back. A new replacement unit was sent back to me. Total round trip was less than a week. Other than being off from the Pax for a few days, everything else about the experience was very professional and responsive.

Just a shout out to the guys at Ploom for the great customer service.

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Wanted to share my experience re Ploom customer service, warranty etc.

I had bought a Pax in Dec 2012, was really enjoying it until it started having some electrical charging issues and the unit went dead. I thought, here goes again, since I have used the IOlite, MLFB, INH etc. in the past, which all work great when they work great, but also flake out or break over time.

On this instance with Pax, I contacted their customer service via email. They sent me a prepaid priority mail slip to send the dead unit and charger back. A new replacement unit was sent back to me. Total round trip was less than a week. Other than being off from the Pax for a few days, everything else about the experience was very professional and responsive.

Just a shout out to the guys at Ploom for the great customer service.

yep, I had a few returns for a locked mouthpiece and screwy batteries, they were nicer and faster every time haha- I was expecting them to tell me to fuck off after the second return.

Mr.Krinkle,

kevinnphamm

I just attempted welderboy's battery mod. I have yet to test the duration of battery life, but it works!

I don't know about you guys, but I've come to love cleaning my Pax.

It's like cleaning your own computer, you get to know it better each time.

kevinnphamm,
Reactions: welderboy

largib

Hi Everyone, very new on Ploom Pax. Did try eGo and nJoy. Hate to change atomizer so often. Can anyone who is experienced to help on the following questions?

1). How often do you need to clean Pax?
2). How often do you need to purchase ANY recurring parts other than Pipe Tobacco? Ex. Lubricant etc.? I'm sick of ordering and spending more money on eGo-T atomizer (like have to order one every 2 weeks).
3). How long can Pax last without buying another one? Warranty length?
4). Still don't understand how they vaporize tobacco leaf without creating ashes? What's left in the oven?

I'm many newbies are having the same or similar questions so your help is greatly appreciated!

largib,

JoeKickass

While your questions are common, they are already here if you search a bit...

The Pax is reliable mechanically, you just have to clean it. I vape cannabis, and a bowl simply looks like brown cannabis when it's done, no burning or ashes.

T.Mas

Hey, oh!! Emerald Green Pax now on the ploom website for preorder. Pretty sweet!!! Just got a black one the other day. Man, this thing is cool. Got like 5 Pax (read "packs", sorry couldn't resist) out of the first charge which is more than I expected. Still not used to vaping though, it's my first. I am kinda not getting anywhere near as high as combustion. I am taking slow fat rips, stirring, packing tight, getting lots of vapor, raising the heat. I must just be used to the other chemicals released in combustion. Is this common? Gonna give it the 2 week test. Thanks to everyone on this thread for all of the great info!

T.Mas,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

Hey, oh!! Emerald Green Pax now in their website for preorder. Pretty sweet!!! Just got a black one the other day. Man, this thing is sweet.

Yeah that green is pretty sweet.

http://www.ploom.com/pax

Ploom just sent me a brand new warranty replacement. I wish I could of asked for the green one.

Plus 2 Paces green Mentos caps would match great as well. Post # 8824

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

Deadshort480

Hey, oh!! Emerald Green Pax now on the ploom website for preorder. Pretty sweet!!! Just got a black one the other day. Man, this thing is cool. Got like 5 Pax (read "packs", sorry couldn't resist) out of the first charge which is more than I expected. Still not used to vaping though, it's my first. I am kinda not getting anywhere near as high as combustion. I am taking slow fat rips, stirring, packing tight, getting lots of vapor, raising the heat. I must just be used to the other chemicals released in combustion. Is this common? Gonna give it the 2 week test. Thanks to everyone on this thread for all of the great info!

Hold your hit in longer. It takes more time in the lungs for vapor to hit than smoke.

Deadshort480,

Beaunaire

Just a common sense heads up to my fellow Pax users. After a mild cold the previous week and some heavy duty vaping all day last Saturday, I woke up very early Sunday morning with the beginnings of an asthma attack. I used a rescue inhaler I was given during a long bout of bronchitis last fall (which prompted my Pax purchase). My lungs would get better and then worse and worse throughout the day. By early evening it was apparent that I was only deteriorating and my wife took me to the emergency room. My lungs were filling with fluid and congestive heart failure was suspected. After a shitload of tests and a night wired up on the cardio floor it turned out that the asthma was caused by fast moving bronchitis (not CHF, my heart is perfectly healthy), I was hospitalized for another miserable night and am still on steroids, antibiotics and inhalers. I will not admit cannabis use to my healthcare providers until prohibition ends. I'm feeling almost 100% better and certain to make a full recovery, but it was a major drag and a kick in the ass. I've cleaned and stored my Pax per Ploom's directions and won't be using it for at least a month or more, at which point (assuming it agrees with me) I will be very, very cautious with mild, infrequent use. My point is that although vaping is way, way safer than combustion, it is not safe! Listen to your body and recognize when to stop. I won't say that vaping exclusively caused this, but it would sure figure into the whole picture, so exercise caution and stay healthy.

Beaunaire,

jeff

When I first started the whispr was my first vape, I'd either get not baked enough or way way too baked. It takes a bit to dial it all in.

jeff,

kevinnphamm

There are a lot of variable that can affect your high. Based on my experience, my highs with the Pax are of the "creeper" kind. They take a bit of time to develop, but eventually have me out of my mind. And that is milking a single oven into near-black ABV.

In terms of my process, I start with it on low 'til vapors are gone. I then switch to the medium, milk it 'til it's gone. At this point, I'll try to flip the cake or stir if it falls apart. I'll continue to milk until dry. Crank it on high and stir when the vapors are gone. Rinse and repeat until nothing is left.

In terms of vaporization vs. combustion, I definitely do get a more intense high from combustion. But that could also be from me holding my breath with smoke in my lungs and getting light headed from doing so.

Hi Everyone, very new on Ploom Pax. Did try eGo and nJoy. Hate to change atomizer so often. Can anyone who is experienced to help on the following questions?

1). How often do you need to clean Pax?
2). How often do you need to purchase ANY recurring parts other than Pipe Tobacco? Ex. Lubricant etc.? I'm sick of ordering and spending more money on eGo-T atomizer (like have to order one every 2 weeks).
3). How long can Pax last without buying another one? Warranty length?
4). Still don't understand how they vaporize tobacco leaf without creating ashes? What's left in the oven?

I'm many newbies are having the same or similar questions so your help is greatly appreciated!

1. I clean my Pax based on how it looks in there. If I see a bunch of things caked on to the screen / oven, I'll clean it. If it's still clean, I'll continue using it. It takes about 3-4 ovens before I consider cleaning it.

2. Lubricant, you can order off of amazon. Just get food grade propylene glycol. I highly suggest having extra screens, since they are the most susceptible to decay. (I remember having to buy extra carts, it sucks.)

3. The warranty covers for 10 years (not the battery).

kevinnphamm,

T.Mas

When I first started the whispr was my first vape, I'd either get not baked enough or way way too baked. It takes a bit to dial it all in.
Funny you say that. After holding the hits for a ridiculously long time, as per Deadshort480's suggestion, I got very, very ripped on my last oven last night. I really had to sit there and take my time. When I think about it, I was vaping the other ovens today while walking in my hilly Swiss town and was slightly out of breath, like I used to do when smoking. I am starting to think that i didn't have the lung capacity to walk up hills and vape because I had to exhale the hit so early. It really does take some dialing in to correctly use it. I am very happy with this device so far.

T.Mas,

asdf007

How does the Pax compare to a desktop unit? I've heard desktops are so much more effective, so I'm considering getting one. But if the Pax is comparable, I'd rather save the money.

asdf007,

ceiph

My first vape was the pax ploom. And it was amazing. But I kept hearing about desktop units. So I had to try one. Desktops just have so much more power and can give an amazing draw. I use a lsv and bubble mainly. But the pax is still great for portability. So depends where you use.

Deadshort480

My first vape was the pax ploom. And it was amazing. But I kept hearing about desktop units. So I had to try one. Desktops just have so much more power and can give an amazing draw. I use a lsv and bubble mainly. But the pax is still great for portability. So depends where you use.

This is basically my setup as well. LSV through water at home and Pax on the go.

I also find myself out of breath while trying to get a session in while walking. Between the long slow draw, the longer hold than smoke, and the actual walking, I get short of breath and find the session not nearly as enjoyable. Then I figured that if I was going to literally vape on the move that I would up the temperature to medium or high. High cooks a fresh oven waaaaaay too fast, but the hits are incredibly intense. Medium is great while in the move. It doesn't offer the same good flavor as low, but you no longer have to draw as long for a good lung full and because of that, I find that the hit is easier to hold and I'm not quite as out of breath as I would be from a moving session on low.

I am going to note something from my own experience. Please keep in mind that smoked cigarettes for a long time. When I was using my Pax exclusively while on vacation I felt slight pain in my chest and shallow of breath at times. I do not have emphysema, asthma, or any other upper respiratory issues. I felt that this was from using the Pax so often. I believe that the very restricted draw combined with heat, vapor, and repetitive use caused my lungs to work harder than normal which caused the pain and tightness. My best suggestion, based on my own experience, to anyone looking to get into vaporizers would be to get a unit for regular use that offers unrestricted draw and to also purchase a portable unit. Your experiences, of course, may be different than mine.

Deadshort480,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
This is basically my setup as well. LSV through water at home and Pax on the go.
I am going to note something from my own experience. Please keep in mind that smoked cigarettes for a long time. When I was using my Pax exclusively while on vacation I felt slight pain in my chest and shallow of breath at times. I do not have emphysema, asthma, or any other upper respiratory issues. I felt that this was from using the Pax so often. I believe that the very restricted draw combined with heat, vapor, and repetitive use caused my lungs to work harder than normal which caused the pain and tightness. My best suggestion, based on my own experience, to anyone looking to get into vaporizers would be to get a unit for regular use that offers unrestricted draw and to also purchase a portable unit. Your experiences, of course, may be different than mine.

Same exact symptoms happened to me to the point where I had to quit smoking for a month. I only used the pax, I quit smoking and have no other vapes, I used the pax a few times a day for a while and thats what happened, it was phenomena like symptoms. Never had any thing like that ever happen to me smoking, so now I dont exclusively use the pax any more. My cough was much worse when I was exclusively smoking the pax. Im thinking maybe my bud was too fresh, I was probably sucking in steam everyday and gave my self pneumonia.

Mr.Krinkle,

JoeKickass

How does the Pax compare to a desktop unit? I've heard desktops are so much more effective, so I'm considering getting one. But if the Pax is comparable, I'd rather save the money.

I've been vaping since the first commercial vape (which was like a soldering iron in a glass globe lol) but desktop units still have warmup time... the only advantage is that you can vape with a lot of people on one bowl.

I use portables (pax fv and cera eo) almost exclusively now, but my old friend the herbalaire 2.1 is still with me, it's such a well designed tool I can't imagine parting with it.

JoeKickass,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom