Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

terpsfan726

Girls with glass in here

I know, now all I need is a Pax!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I think the little Vatra soft pouch that used to be, and may still be, included in the MFLB kit from Puffitup, would be mighty fine for the Pax as a padded zip up pouch that can be easily carried around. just my :2cents: on a case for it, and Im sure theres many other little pipe pouches that would work great for this purpose.

that is exactly what i use to carry my pax around. Stick it and a pocket/packer in a plastic bag then toss it it the pouch- perfect

terpsfan726,
Reactions: Nycdeisel

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I'm very excited, I ordered my Pax from Ploom Thursday night after reading this quite extensive thread and I am just waiting on pins and needles for it to arrive. I ordered the amethyst and I haven't seen that too many of you have that color. The color that seems to dominate is the black and then the cobalt. I should be recieving it the begining of next week. I do want to thank all of you in educating me on what not to do with my Pax and how to clean and care for it. I am all about the accessories of a new toy and one thing that I am concerned about is a case for it while it is in my bag for my laptop or my camera equipment. Can any of you share how you carry yours?

I will definately let you know once I recieve my Pax and my thoughts on it.

I went with cobalt, because at the time it was the only color in stock. I would rather have purple, but the blue is cool enough, doesn't cange performance.

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
The more I use it, the more I love it. When you really figure it exactly how you like to hit it, I think the Pax offers some really cloudy and delicious vapors. The versatility is fantastic. I've taken to packing a layer of kief in the middle off my chamber. Love it. I do most of my Vaping on low with one or two flips of the chamber. I can usually get two more big pulls at medium and two more at high. The chamber lasts so long on low with such great flavor. Long, slow, smooth, even draws and I'm loving life!

Only dry cleans for me, but I noticed that Ploom had included a cleaning kit with my order. I didn't even see it in the box until today.

Ontariovapes

I use a hard shell glasses case. It carries the Pax ad a hideahoot very nicely without any smell. And BTW I have the Purple one and it looks very rich.

Ontariovapes,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I guess I'm in the minority but after a few weeks with the pax I'm not impressed. It is discreet and you can get some good vapor but it requires way to much attention to keep it operating smooth and having to dump, mix and refill the load takes away the stealth and handiness.

elmomuzz,

gcrumpets

Ive had my pax since august 18th and i freaking love it, works great, to anyone out there unstatisfied with its performance i have this advice: try better weed... seriously, for the first week of having my pax the only thing i had to put in it was some Sour OG i chopped about a week early due to pollination problems, i was quite unimpressed, light vapor and constant stirring. then after i smoked through that garbage i put some berries from a decent crop in there and was blown away, worked at least 3 times better... the quality of the stash as a lot to do with the performance of this one.

having said that, im shipping mine back to vapeworld.com tommorow for a warranty replacement, i clean mine atleast once a week but a while ago the mouth piece started getting stuck down in the off position and the temp button stopped moving. feels almost like a bunch of resin accumulated on the outisde of where the mouth piece clicks in, its a little easier moving right after a cleaning but quickly gets stuck after the first use, really annoying, cuz this is my new favorite way to toke.

bluesurfboy

yes quality matters alot, i saw the guy on YT getting 26+ hits, and on my first bowl didnt count but easily above 30, maybe even 35+ hits off a single bowl, with stirs,
but we were taking small "cigar style" tokes and it was enough to when cleared and exhaled again, produce a visible vapor cloud.

i was actually kindaconfused at how it lasted so long. That was on the Barry White (True Blueberry X White Widow :science: = :tup: ) easily my fav weed in past 3-4 years

but then same here, i put in some purples from a friend and some other green later, the purple was just depressing, i thinkg i got 4-5 hits at low, medium and high, for total of 15 hits, and on the greens around 7-8, but on my premium cali weed, i get 9-11 on each heat setting to equal 30+ hits, 35+ when its really potent.

Oh, and i saw joekickass load a .681 that still amazes me, as i have loaded (to my packing), emptied and weighed and so far the heaviest i got was .34 (WITH concentrate, THanks JOE for the tip!:clap:) but without my packed bowls tend to be .29-.30 (surprisingly accurate) Maybe that will change later when i get some super dense buds.

EDIT: so great conservation.and this is not mentioning bowls with concentrate, last 15-25 on low alone..., getting through medium now... another 20 or so, let you know when i get through high LOL

bluesurfboy

I'm burning through a lotta herbs with this vape. I'm trying a bowl on low and see what happens. I've been running on medium.
ESpecially with quality buds/meds, if you arent going through low, i think you are missing the boat on this one for sure... you want lower temps for the medicinal effects and i really feel that it gives me a really unique fully rounded vapor high and euphoria going thru low med and high turning two hits before temp change (so twice)

ive done med-high bowls and even just starting on high, i definitely prefer low-med-high for personal sessions as its most conservative and strong, but in a outside quick setting i may prefer med high, i dont like straight high unless i really needed to take two and couldnt take anymore for a while.

but thats just me, i guess it really depends on the material being used.

elmomuzz

That just happened...
It just seems a little much to me that getting it dirty is cause for warranty replacement. Like I said to fussy for me. I suppose if you are a light user it's cool but I am a heavy user. The solo although not as portable works better for me.

elmomuzz,

Azathoth

Well, it's been well over a month, and I still enjoy using my Pax. Unfortunately, the problems I had initially have persisted (mouthpiece that won't stay closed reliably), and now I've got both the stuck temperature button and the temperature indicator light issue (where it stays on temp indicator unless I manipulate the mouthpiece manually and hold it in place - seems like an internal connection issue).

Given the issues I've experienced with this device, I have to agree with the "fussy" sentiment expressed by others. I've kept my device clean, but cleanliness hasn't impacted the issues I've experienced, unfortunately. But again, this is just my experience and doesn't necessarily reflect anyone else's experience. I honestly think I got a slightly defective unit.

Waiting to hear back from VapeWorld about sending my Pax in for replacement. Sent an email to Ploom and they agreed that I need a new unit, but that I needed to go through the reseller. Been four days since my first email to VW, and I haven't heard back yet. Sent another email today, and will plan on calling VapeWorld tomorrow.

Even with the hassles, I'm still using my Pax as my go-to portable (though I'm happy I have my LB for backup). It performs well, and even with the issues I have I can get a decent session on medium temp (where I'm stuck). I do enjoy the device, and hope that my next one will be a bit less fussy.

Azathoth,

Shrimpanzee

After day one, I can say that I'm satisfied, although the only other portable vape I've tried is the Vapir NO2. I'd say that, off the bat, PAX wins hands down on discreetness and flavor (even though it's 3x the price). The only way I can see making the Vapir NO2 discreet is getting a fast food cup large enough for only the whip to stick out the straw hole (laughing just thinking about it).

I'm hoping that out those of you that have had them since August, it's only a small percentage that are experiencing problems. :\ *fingers crossed*

I guess I'm in the minority but after a few weeks with the pax I'm not impressed. It is discreet and you can get some good vapor but it requires way to much attention to keep it operating smooth and having to dump, mix and refill the load takes away the stealth and handiness.

Where do you plan on being that will require it to be "discreet" for extended periods of time?

Waiting to hear back from VapeWorld about sending my Pax in for replacement. Sent an email to Ploom and they agreed that I need a new unit, but that I needed to go through the reseller. Been four days since my first email to VW, and I haven't heard back yet. Sent another email today, and will plan on calling VapeWorld tomorrow.

Glad I bought mine from PAX. Their chat feature is convenient.

Shrimpanzee,

JoeKickass

It just seems a little much to me that getting it dirty is cause for warranty replacement. Like I said to fussy for me. I suppose if you are a light user it's cool but I am a heavy user. The solo although not as portable works better for me.

I'm a very heavy user, and there are very simple things you can do to keep your Pax working 100%. It's just most people don't think about the physics of how the device works or how the mouthpiece catch works and are afraid to do anything when their uncured weed gums it up.

mouthpiece that won't stay closed reliably... stuck temperature button... temperature indicator light issue

I'm amazed people who have mouthpiece issues are still sending their whole Pax in for replacement...

Seeing as we've been over all this before:
1) The only "un-fixable" problem is if the mouthpiece keeps getting stuck closed (just get the new mouthpiece or do my filing mod)

2) Keep iso out of the top of the Pax! *sigh* hopefully the last time I have to say it?

3) If mouthpiece has hesitation "catching" closed (the ring doesn't want to slide up) and resin in the spring chamber is causing the temp light to show up you must have a very dirty Pax. I've done nothing but clean the oven (no mouthpiece or stem cleaning for 3+ weeks) and I've only experienced these things very occasionally.

Here's how to keep your Pax in working order (if you don't feel like cleaning)

Work the mouthpiece after a session!

It's really that simple. If you close and store the Pax right away, the liquid resin cools and hardens where-ever it is (under the ring, in the mouthpiece tube, etc.) so all you have to do is wipe it away before it cools down and gets all gummy.

After a sesh I take one last hit while the Pax is off, dump the load, then while it's still hot I manipulate the mouthpiece: making sure it cycles through it's full range of motion (little presses that don't unlock the Pax, then a quick turn on turn off, then little presses, and another turn on turn off) usually after about 2 or 3 open-closes I can feel the mouthpiece opening smoother and faster.

That's all I do and I believe it helps me avoid the temp light issue too because it helps keep resin off of the contact points in the mouthpiece.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Today I did an ISO cleaning just to see how clean I could get it. Not sure how people are having trouble with ISO. All I did was stick a pipe cleaning down the tube from the top and lined it up with the bottom of the oven. Then I used a q-tip dipped in ISO 91% and cleaned the oven thoroughly. I soaked the screen in ISO but that didn't seem to do much tbh. Maybe I need to leave it overnight. I only did maybe an hour.

Then I took a pipe cleaner dipped in ISO and wiped with paper towel. Then I took that pipe cleaner and went bottom up and watched carefully when it came out the top. No ISO ever left the pipe cleaner and was never in risk of hitting the temp button.

After every session I take the mouthpiece out and clean with dry pipe cleaner and I try to use a q-tip and ISO the outside metal piece and mouth part. If I'm home, easy, outside not so much. Also after every session, I use dry q-tip and pipe cleaner.

I absolutely love this thing. I've been going medium / high. No stirring. But I'm gonna try low / medium / high next time :-).

Stirring is tough. What do I have to? Empty and reload? Doesn't seem worth it to me.

This device rocks though. I have no problem. My WISPR is less maintenance but the Pax is far stealthier and much faster at heating :-). I love the Pax

Shrimpanzee

Stirring is tough. What do I have to? Empty and reload? Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Some people empty and reload, but that hasn't been necessary for me.

I'm not sure how tightly packed your oven usually is, but so far, I've been able to stir it up with something small -- like the tip of a mechanical pencil or paperclip -- without getting more than a few pieces up on the oven rim.

Shrimpanzee,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I have two "SOLO's" with glass mouth pieces and their amazing for flavor.
Is it worth getting a "PAX" or should I wait until the various issues are corrected?
$249 seems a bit steep? SOLO is $168.00
However the stealth factor is well designed!
I'm a bit clumsy and keep breaking the glass mouth pieces.
My floors are lime stone.
If the taste is not plastic the "PAX" could be a good choice?

ataxian,

Shrimpanzee

If you're big on discreetness and have the money, why not? The Solo is not discreet.

If $250 isn't much to you, you won't regret it even if you enjoy hitting your Solo more.

Shrimpanzee,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
That's what I am doing too willieR, I was going through way too much herb playing around getting to know the pax, now I am putting small loads in, just enough to cover the bottom, press and go. It does complete the load better, no stirring, you just don't get as many hits from on load. If I am heading out the door with it, I have been packing it, and setting it to low, so I can use it for as long as possible before I need to mess with the bowl.

JoeKickass

For half loads or less you're probably right, but for giant loads it's worth it, you can get a whole 'nother sesh or two if you flip the brick.

Also have you seen the Pax Tool? You only need a paperclip...
2vv95xt.jpg

2rhbkef.jpg

MrNorml

as far as traveling on a plane, i would say best bet is go into the bathroom, vapors will not be detected by smoke detector and carry either a pre-made scent blow-thru device or make one yourself, i remember people used to fashion them out of an empty toilet paper roll and cramming fabric softener in there, and then exhaling all your hits through there, especially because the ssmell on the pax is worst at the beginning, I would think if you sat for an entire session in the bathroom people would just think you were going #2, and give it some extra time to air out (they got pretty good circulation) and you could be outta there, but again these are just thoughts that i am having, and in no way recommending this is safe or legal.

I personally believe it would be idiotic to vape on a plane. That wouldn't even make rational sense. If you can't last a couple hours (????) then eat some edibles. Hell, carry edibles vs buds. But it would be IMHO absolutely idiotically dumb-ass stupidly ignorantly foolhardy (is that enough adjectives indicating a lack of though?) to actually vape on a plane. And this is from someone who is pretty damned bold about such things. But perhaps you are more used to dealing with federal agents at airports or US marshalls than I zm or want to be. Don't vape on a plane. Don't smoke on a plane. Eat on a plane. If you carry ... well, I get nervous these days even carrying. I mail to where I"m going if I can. At airports, don't be surprised to see dogs (I did in Phoenix). Heck, driving in the SW can bring you into dog land as customs has set up shop 50-100 miles from Mex. border. Figure dogs in airports. Consider if they will be able to smell whatever they were trained to smell, and what will happen even if you are legal in that state (Fed vs states). So... unless you have an absolute desire to test the federal safety system, I would say DO NOT CARRY/SMOKE/VAPE ON AN AIRLINE!!!

MrNorml

No, I'm not gonna use it on the plane. Just at the destination. :-). That's why it's going in my check in luggage :-).

Yeah, my wife said I didn't really smell yesterday, but I still felt it smelled. My wife said it was like as if I was at home,and smoked and then came outside. Instead of smelling like I just smoked.
Fill it with tobacco for a load or 2. Of course then you'll have to figure how to get it to not smell like a cigar... but the tobacco smell is very strong and in fact will IMHO cover up bud smells well.

MrNorml,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom