Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpanzee

I can't wait to bring the PAX skiing this year. If I would've seen a PAX on a ski lift last year, I would've just thought it was a flask (unless the smell was strong). The snow in Colorado was underwhelming last year, so hopefully mother nature changes her mind this year...

Still waiting for my mouth piece. I talked to a customer service rep at ploom on Wednesday and got my tracking number. It was shipped on the 11th, and last it shows leaving the USPS sort facility in Des Moines, IA on the 13th. It's probably held up at the border. I'll be pretty pissed if I get dinged for customs fees or something on a free replacement part. Customs can keep the damn thing!

Wow, sorry to hear that. That's frustrating.

Shrimpanzee,
I can't wait to bring the PAX skiing this year. If I would've seen a PAX on a ski lift last year, I would've just thought it was a flask (unless the smell was strong). The snow in Colorado was underwhelming last year, so hopefully mother nature changes her mind this year.

Yes it was a tragic season last year. I to cant wait to put my pax on low and see if my friends can even tell that I'm vaping in the gondola at Keystone.

TheAngryGiraffe,

HSIHP

So after getting a new batch of bud (which I was not pleased with but choices are VERY limited where I live) I have experienced something new. I got the sizzling sounds that other posters were mentioning earlier. The herb seems like it was grown outside and not cured correctly and frankly tastes like ass and ended up vaping nicely after a few sizzly hits.

Its funny because one of the down points to this device (its tendency to give all the flovor of a bowl in the first few hits) seems to be a plus for me at the moment.:lol: All I can hope is this dry spell comes to a close soon and I can just use this shwag to cook with.

HSIHP,

estelombo

i have the original mouth piece, there is no groove at all on the ring. is this part of the problem??
im sending mine back to vapeworld next week and hopefully will be getting a replacement pax from them, this time im not letting iso anywhere near it, sounds like just heating it up and cleaning is the way to go. pity ill have to be without it for a few weeks cause i love it even for all the trouble it seems to be causing me, i have to say i would buy another one without thinking twice

estelombo,

HSIHP

I know it's a little off topic, but does anyone know how to dry out bud that has not been properly cured? This still is way to moist, the stems peel rather than snap and the taste/smeel is just not right.

HSIHP,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Does anyone else wear glasses and see the weird double image at the LED? I only see it when my glasses are on. While it's warning up I can plainly see one X in blue and a slightly holographic X in red. It's strange and kind of trippy. Maybe it's the thickness of my lenses or something?

Deadshort480,

Tquad

Just got my PAX from vapebot.com and LOVING IT!! this thing has been kicking my ass all day long!

I have a resolve for most of these problems with heating up and lights nut turning red. I got my PAX yesterday from vapebot.com and when I started having problems after a few seasons I called them, the call got directed to a distributor but they where so good to me. I was informed to clean the mouth pc steam, and not wait for it to dry, then put it back in the slide. Then turn it on and off again and again until it would clean the interior contacts. The way it was explained to me was that when the device is open then the circuit is open, and when closed the circuit is closed. If there is any buildup on the internal contacts then it from time to time thinks it closed and either will jump colors or not give you a full charge later when on the docking station. Anyway I just did what they suggested and the problem has gone away 100%. I'm sure I will need to do it again at some point, but well worth it, best vape I have ever had! Hope this helps.

I'm new to the forum, but I got my pax yesterday and it has the updated mouth pc. So as far as I can tell? Looked at all the pics. Anyway I got it at Vapebot I found out they are in San Francisco, same as Ploom, so maybe thats why they have the updated new stuff? Anyway still lovin this thing and happy with my buy.

SORRY I POSTED 3 TIMES, I'm LEARNING< but l love the forum.

Modnote: 3 posts merged. When possible, please avoid making back-to-back posts in a thread. Use the Edit feature located at the bottom of your posts. Thank you.

bluesurfboy

this happened after a clean, no excessive iso, but a drop did hit the black part which a small portion did go to the white button inside.

i can no longer change temperature, i have to press really hard and sometimes it changes, sometimes it doesnt, have to try again, i can get it to change, but this is noo good, it used to be so easy.

anyone have this issue, fix?

bluesurfboy,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
unfortunately that is one of the big issues. Iso can not get on the temp button with out damaging it, but it is recommended by the company to clean with iso (they do state not to get it on the temp button). Worse case, if you really hate it, contact Ploom tomorrow (chat is best on the support page between 9a-5p PST) and find out what your options are.

jambandphan03,

Dammit

this happened after a clean, no excessive iso, but a drop did hit the black part which a small portion did go to the white button inside.

i can no longer change temperature, i have to press really hard and sometimes it changes, sometimes it doesnt, have to try again, i can get it to change, but this is noo good, it used to be so easy.

anyone have this issue, fix?
Don't push it really hard, as someone already pushed the button into their pax unit already and had to send it back. It's not so much as just the iso in the button, but the resin that's dissolved in that iso. When it gets in tight spaces and then evaporates, it leaves the resin behind in those small gaps. It's happened to me a couple times. Just use a small blade of a pen knife or small flat head screw driver, pretty much anything small and flat, to wiggle the button back and forth to break up the resin. It'll loosen up a little and the button will be functional, but you might not get that satisfying click like it used to right away. Just use as normal and it will eventually start clicking again. When I was doing this the first time, you could see the resin getting stretched apart from the walls and the button. In fact, I can see the same resin on the sides of the button every time the light goes on from my first week or so of owning it. I was a little too generous with the iso back then. I can't find anything small enough to pick the resin out. It just keeps taunting me whenever I pull mouth piece off. A bright white button with dark spots along the sides.

dudeeitsbrian

unfortunately that is one of the big issues. Iso can not get on the temp button with out damaging it, but it is recommended by the company to clean with iso (they do state not to get it on the temp button). Worse case, if you really hate it, contact Ploom tomorrow (chat is best on the support page between 9a-5p PST) and find out what your options are.
that doesn't even make sense... the iso is 100% guaranteed not the sole cause of the temperature button being "damaged". the fact that iso gets in around the temp button at all is a minor issue as it will just evaporate rather quickly, the problem occurs when resin saturated iso gets into the button, leaving sticky deposits on the button, thus causing the stuck button.

as has been mentioned numerous times previously in this thread, the issue can be fixed quite simply by rocking the button back and forth, and just generally messing with it gently until it begins to function again as normal (i have done this myself and been successful). also in the future if you decide to clean around that area using iso, don't douse the pipe cleaner in iso, only use a minimal amount.

</rant>

dudeeitsbrian,
Reactions: Dammit

Dammit

Just to add, as a good rule of thumb, don't leave wet iso on your pax long or it'll leave a resin film behind. Get in the habit of wiping the iso off with a clean napkin and you'll see why.

Dammit,
Reactions: willieR

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I took this straight from the Ploom site: PLEASE NOTE: Do not use isopropyl alcohol on the temperature setting button underneath the mouthpiece.

and was going by what they told me in a chat sesh. I don't want to argue about being right or wrong, I was just passing on what I was told from Ploom CS. If it's not right, then I guess it's not right.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Pax Initial Impressions

Well, I'm completely vaked right now, so don't mind me. But anyhow, I want to talk a little bit about the Pax by Ploom. I received my unit on Wednesday at around 4pm. I absolutely loved the packaging. Thought the box was slightly better than the WISPR's box. That's all superficial.

The device is great. I can not believe how small it is. I absolutely love the size. So far I've only used it for five sessions (that's why this is initial impressions) :-). I also have a Cloud and its my daily driver. Anyhow, back to the Pax.

Well first, let me say I'm worried about the issues with the temperature button, and the heating cycle, however, I just reviewed my manual and realized we have a 10 year warranty. I hope this doesn't cause Ploom to go out of business due to all the repairs :-). But anyhow, it gives me extreme comfort that minus the battery, this thing could potentially last me 10 years (I'm sure there will be newer versions, etc. by that time).

What I am slightly concerned about is smell. It does smell. More than the WISPR. Now, I want to take this with me on an airplane trip at the end of the year. Potentially risky in the fact that they could take it, but I won't be carrying any medicine, and will put tobacco in the check in with it, but hide the Pax good in clothes, etc. Anyhow, anyone know how to get rid of the smell? I haven't ISO's but I do keep it clean with a dry pipe cleaner, and a q-tip for the oven after every session (if I can). If not, I'll do it when I get home (heat up, use it, and then clean hot).

Now, let's talk about vapor production. This thing is a beast. I love it. I do notice that the flavor goes away quickly on this unit, however, it does still give visible vapor. Also, I think the temperature button should be activated a different way. I hate that I'm walking around, and have to remove the mouthpiece to switch temps. If I drop that mouthpiece outside, that could be bad. I have only used on Medium and High so far, but today I might try Low.

As for the battery, I have been charging after every use because of circumstances, but I'm gonna let it down now to empty and then charge fully before use again.

Lastly, minus the placement of the temperature button, I love all the LEDs (two), it really makes it stand out as a quality device. My concerns are smell, temperature button sticking, and heating cycle going hayware. However, the absolute pros are, 10 year warranty, seemingly good battery life (although I can't personally attest to this yet), awesome vapor production, and stealthiness.

Personally I absolutely love this thing, and I don't see the WISPR getting much use since I now have the Pax. I bought the Pax because I know you can't take butane on a plane, and I don't want to bother with that. It's huge, and they will grab it. The Pax looks like an Apple device. Sophisticated.

Any recommendations on traveling with it? Should I make sure it's absolutely dead so it can't turn on?

newVaper420,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I know it's a little off topic, but does anyone know how to dry out bud that has not been properly cured? This still is way to moist, the stems peel rather than snap and the taste/smeel is just not right.

Quick method. Get a glass mason jar and lid. put the herbs in the jar and then in the fridge with the lid off. This will dry your stuff fast. After an hour try it by putting the lid on quickly while still in the fridge, then remove from fridge. Let the jar come up to room temp for a few hours. If you open while the jar and herbs are still cold, moisture will condense on your stuff. After it's room temp, no condensation.

The fridge is very dry air and will pull water rapidly from your herbs. You might need a few sessions over the course of a few days to get it where you want it.

For the Iso users out there, another plug from me to try 99% Iso. Things clean much better

MrNorml

Pax Initial Impressions

What I am slightly concerned about is smell. It does smell. More than the WISPR. Now, I want to take this with me on an airplane trip at the end of the year. Potentially risky in the fact that they could take it, but I won't be carrying any medicine, and will put tobacco in the check in with it, but hide the Pax good in clothes, etc. Anyhow, anyone know how to get rid of the smell? I haven't ISO's but I do keep it clean with a dry pipe cleaner, and a q-tip for the oven after every session (if I can). If not, I'll do it when I get home (heat up, use it, and then clean hot).

Load it up with some pipe/cigar tobacco for a couple sessions and you may find there is no 'pot' smell left. But it may take you a LONG time to get the tobacco smell/taste out of it.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I wouldn't worry about carrying an empty pax on a plane. I took e cigs in my laptop case, and didn't even get noticed. It's just a battery in a tube until it's got plant material in it. Clean it well, and you should be fine, esp. if you carry tobacco along with. A run through the x ray might make them think it's an Ipod or something... I really wouldn't worry too much, it's the meds that are illegal to travel with. This is just what I would do, so do what ever you feel comfortable with.

Also it's good to top off charge Li-on batteries rather than full drain/charge back up, as far as I understand it.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry about carrying an empty pax on a plane. I took e cigs in my laptop case, and didn't even get noticed. It's just a battery in a tube until it's got plant material in it. Clean it well, and you should be fine, esp. if you carry tobacco along with. A run through the x ray might make them think it's an Ipod or something... I really wouldn't worry too much, it's the meds that are illegal to travel with. This is just what I would do, so do what ever you feel comfortable with.

Also it's good to top off charge Li-on batteries rather than full drain/charge back up, as far as I understand it.

Thanks that makes me feel good :-). Yes you are right generally about that. But you want to cycle them every once in a while so they can calibrate their full range of power. At least that's what apple suggests with its products.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Ah, thanks, I was not aware of the cycling. I had heard the term used, but was not given any other info.

jambandphan03,

bluesurfboy

Don't push it really hard, as someone already pushed the button into their pax unit already and had to send it back. It's not so much as just the iso in the button, but the resin that's dissolved in that iso. When it gets in tight spaces and then evaporates, it leaves the resin behind in those small gaps. It's happened to me a couple times. Just use a small blade of a pen knife or small flat head screw driver, pretty much anything small and flat, to wiggle the button back and forth to break up the resin. It'll loosen up a little and the button will be functional, but you might not get that satisfying click like it used to right away. Just use as normal and it will eventually start clicking again. When I was doing this the first time, you could see the resin getting stretched apart from the walls and the button. In fact, I can see the same resin on the sides of the button every time the light goes on from my first week or so of owning it. I was a little too generous with the iso back then. I can't find anything small enough to pick the resin out. It just keeps taunting me whenever I pull mouth piece off. A bright white button with dark spots along the sides.
that doesn't even make sense... the iso is 100% guaranteed not the sole cause of the temperature button being "damaged". the fact that iso gets in around the temp button at all is a minor issue as it will just evaporate rather quickly, the problem occurs when resin saturated iso gets into the button, leaving sticky deposits on the button, thus causing the stuck button.

as has been mentioned numerous times previously in this thread, the issue can be fixed quite simply by rocking the button back and forth, and just generally messing with it gently until it begins to function again as normal (i have done this myself and been successful). also in the future if you decide to clean around that area using iso, don't douse the pipe cleaner in iso, only use a minimal amount.

</rant>

OK so then this is my question, it was a drop that dropped off my pipe cleaner BEFORE any resin was there, just pure iso, nothing else later. thats why im scratching my head so. I also had an interruptions right after cleaning and didnt think about it, and withing 60-90 seconds put my unit together and got the worst tasting VAPE + ISO Taste, did not go away no matter how long i waited, until i threw out the bowl, and then the device when inhaling on it, cold, still tasted like iso for a min or two.

I am checking this morning and still having difficulty "clicking" my temp button. there is no specific angle or technique that can give me a useable button, i just keep pressing hard in different ways until colors turns.

bluesurfboy,

bluesurfboy

Pax Initial Impressions

Well, I'm completely vaked right now, so don't mind me. But anyhow, I want to talk a little bit about the Pax by Ploom. I received my unit on Wednesday at around 4pm. I absolutely loved the packaging. Thought the box was slightly better than the WISPR's box. That's all superficial.

The device is great. I can not believe how small it is. I absolutely love the size. So far I've only used it for five sessions (that's why this is initial impressions) :-). I also have a Cloud and its my daily driver. Anyhow, back to the Pax.

Well first, let me say I'm worried about the issues with the temperature button, and the heating cycle, however, I just reviewed my manual and realized we have a 10 year warranty. I hope this doesn't cause Ploom to go out of business due to all the repairs :-). But anyhow, it gives me extreme comfort that minus the battery, this thing could potentially last me 10 years (I'm sure there will be newer versions, etc. by that time).

Now, let's talk about vapor production. This thing is a beast. I love it. I do notice that the flavor goes away quickly on this unit, however, it does still give visible vapor. Also, I think the temperature button should be activated a different way. I hate that I'm walking around, and have to remove the mouthpiece to switch temps. If I drop that mouthpiece outside, that could be bad. I have only used on Medium and High so far, but today I might try Low.

As for the battery, I have been charging after every use because of circumstances, but I'm gonna let it down now to empty and then charge fully before use again.

Lastly, minus the placement of the temperature button, I love all the LEDs (two), it really makes it stand out as a quality device. My concerns are smell, temperature button sticking, and heating cycle going hayware. However, the absolute pros are, 10 year warranty, seemingly good battery life (although I can't personally attest to this yet), awesome vapor production, and stealthiness.

Personally I absolutely love this thing, and I don't see the WISPR getting much use since I now have the Pax. I bought the Pax because I know you can't take butane on a plane, and I don't want to bother with that. It's huge, and they will grab it. The Pax looks like an Apple device. Sophisticated.

Any recommendations on traveling with it? Should I make sure it's absolutely dead so it can't turn on?

The only problems i have had with traveling (i just carried in my pocket, first vape i can just throw the whole unit in and not worry) Except for the one night i was drunk and part of me knew i clicked the button out (i was playing with it while drunk, in my pocket), but part of me forgot? (I was vaked)

Needless to say, i had a smoldering pocket as i felt the pax warm up, but i still go a half bowl and packed a new one.

as far as traveling on a plane, i would say best bet is go into the bathroom, vapors will not be detected by smoke detector and carry either a pre-made scent blow-thru device or make one yourself, i remember people used to fashion them out of an empty toilet paper roll and cramming fabric softener in there, and then exhaling all your hits through there, especially because the ssmell on the pax is worst at the beginning, I would think if you sat for an entire session in the bathroom people would just think you were going #2, and give it some extra time to air out (they got pretty good circulation) and you could be outta there, but again these are just thoughts that i am having, and in no way recommending this is safe or legal.

bluesurfboy,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
as far as traveling on a plane...

No, I'm not gonna use it on the plane. Just at the destination. :-). That's why it's going in my check in luggage :-).

Yeah, my wife said I didn't really smell yesterday, but I still felt it smelled. My wife said it was like as if I was at home,and smoked and then came outside. Instead of smelling like I just smoked.

newVaper420,

willieR

Been here since 2009
There is no data that shows the Iso itself doesn't soften the plastic slightly. It is possible that Iso reacts with the polymers or plasticizers within that plastic temp switch.

Second. NO WAY can you take any herbals in an airport or plane. Are you kidding? In an airport they're sniffing, swabbing, x-raying, patting down... SEARCHING for what your carrying. Why in the world would anyone tempt fate?

The vape itself, if really clean, would likely be OK, but if a swab should turn out positive, the TSA will own a new vape.

bluesurfboy

There is no data that shows the Iso itself doesn't soften the plastic slightly. It is possible that Iso reacts with the polymers or plasticizers within that plastic temp switch.

yeah this is what i am thinking also, because the feel of the button has changed, and i havent ripped a pax apart, but just knowing how most button assembly are made, that is definitely a possibility, an area that is out of the vape-path and so easily overlooked.

This is still hands-down the best thing i have ever smoked out of.
everyone that has tried it is absolutely blown away, especially SERIOUS, experienced vapor enthusiasts.

They are the ones that appreciate the device more, because they know what to expect or can get from other devices, and this overall blows everything out the water.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom