Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

BittenBagel

So from what I see most people are buying the Pax from VapeWorld rather than Ploom is there a reason for that?

BittenBagel,

JoeKickass

I usually pack a pretty full bowl... with a pretty corse grind just about all the way to the top.

The key with the Pax is getting the bowl really compressed/packed in there, not just full with volume.

I think you'll find that find ground bud packed halfway (but press it tight down) will perform similarly to your full-to-the-brim bowls

JoeKickass,
Reactions: Phizix

HSIHP

The key with the Pax is getting the bowl really compressed/packed in there, not just full with volume.

I think you'll find that find ground bud packed halfway (but press it tight down) will perform similarly to your full-to-the-brim bowls

Honestly Joe, I wouldn't doubt that but the stuff I have been able to get recently just does not pack down into half bowls. It is always a little bit loose and ends up not staying a block for long. I look forward to getting some better bud to see if that does the trick though! :rofl:

JoeKickass

Honestly Joe, I wouldn't doubt that but the stuff I have been able to get recently just does not pack down into half bowls. It is always a little bit loose and ends up not staying a block for long. I look forward to getting some better bud to see if that does the trick though! :rofl:

I think you'll be amazed how much of a difference it can make... try turning your grinder upside down to get a finer grind to see if it will pack better tho

Shrimpanzee

So from what I see most people are buying the Pax from VapeWorld rather than Ploom is there a reason for that?

Same price and same warranty, but VapeWorld throws in a free grinder. Also, Ploom is West coast and VapeWorld is East coast, so that might influence people who want speedier shipping.

I ordered mine (onyx) from Ploom on Wednesday before 2pm PST, but I still haven't received any shipping information :\. Still says "processing" for my order on Ploom website when I look at my invoice.

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
So, I've switched from the puffing technique to a single long, steady, slow draw. Works like a charm. Starting on low and moving up in temp offers many hits as well as the best taste IMO.

As much as I don't want to admit it, there is a slight learning curve to using this thing properly. I let someone try it today and he was pulling like he was trying to rip a bong hit. He just wouldn't listen to me. When he asked if he could pack a new chamber he tried to put a whole nug in it. Palm to face with a mighty head shake. Vaping isn't for everyone.

Oh, and a sprinkle of kief made for an even more pleasurable experience.

willieR

Been here since 2009
I can barely tell I filed mine and it's been 100% reliable, but I would imagine the more you file the dirtier you can let it get...

So just a touch did the trick. I'm thinking that the more metal that is left, the better the mechanical action. So I'll just slightly remove some stock. Did you try and cut more of a sharp edge or rounded edge?

Sure appreciate the insight. I'll probably head to hardware store for the file today

willieR,

skrap

also only last night i have noticed that now the unit thinks its not getting to temp....ever.....its stuck in a heating cycle, light never goes green, and it gets hot as shit.

This also happened to my first pax. Very alarming when it doesn't stop heating up, overheats and begins flashing orange, which i assume is the overheat auto shutoff. I'm about 99% sure that the cause was a little iso got onto the electronics. This accidentally happened when I was trying to get the old mouthpiece un-stuck by putting a few drops around the stuck mouthpiece.

My replacement pax works perfectly, but no more iso, just cleaning when it's warm.

JoeKickass

I let someone try it today and he was pulling like he was trying to rip a bong hit.

Non-pax users can still hit it fast but the key is to preheat first. It helps if you wait several seconds after green and then do a few very slow draws to warm the bowl for them. When they take their hilarious hit it will cool down the bowl a bit so make sure to draw slow afterwards as well but as long as you space the newbies in-between slow draws I've found it isn't really an issue.

And like you discovered, they'll soon be wondering why you get bigger clouds drawing slowly :lol:

So just a touch did the trick. I'm thinking that the more metal that is left, the better the mechanical action. So I'll just slightly remove some stock. Did you try and cut more of a sharp edge or rounded edge?

Sure appreciate the insight. I'll probably head to hardware store for the file today

You want the right edge to be sharp and file down the left edge like Ploom did:
Now, I think I might have an interesting project/experiment for the mechanically inclined. Since I did my post on how the mouthpiece catch worked, I've been thinking about how to improve it to avoid sticking, and today I did my first try:
5tIW5.jpg

Can't see it?
oRTjS.jpg

Well, I realized we might not be able to do anything about the ring getting rough or sticky, but we cando something about increasing the grab on the catch that pulls the ring down. So I used a needle file:https://www.google.com/search?q=Needle Files&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS492US492&sugexp=chrome,mod=7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
needle_files1.gif

The half-round one specifically, and I filed the notch to look more like the casing on a bullet. The flat side of the file is smooth so keep it at a / kind of angle and use the edge of the file to grind the left ridge only!
28AJR.jpg

This way the little metal hook inside the body has more of an edge to catch onto and can pull down with more force on the little ring which should reduce sticking and give you a better chance if it does get stuck. I cleaned my mouthpiece right after I did this so it will be a while before I can say for sure, but it does feel and sound like a more solid mechanism though. I do have one of the original serial number mouthpieces and it has got sticky in the past so it should be a good test.

You'd have to blow out the metal screen first (impossible without bowling out your cheeks) but if you really wanted to I think you could do it if you took out the screen...
I can't even edit a post from yesterday!? Now I shall forever be know as "bowling out your cheeks guy" :lol:

willieR

Been here since 2009
Ah. OK so we're just reducing the left edge. Not squaring it, just removing some stock and I'll round it over smooth. Thanks!

willieR,

willieR

Been here since 2009
This is getting better by the minute. Hopefully more people besides me will benefit from this, JoeKA.

The left edge only gets filed down. We're copying the profile of the flat ramp of that bullet casing.

Your much appreciated drawing looks like we're also deepening the groove so the contact point (red) changes from the one on the left to the one on the right. Are you filing that left edge (bullet bevel) as well as deepening that groove?

Thank you and sorry if I'm testing your patience.

JoeKickass

Are you filing that left edge (bullet bevel) as well as deepening that groove?

Thank you and sorry if I'm testing your patience.

Yes that's right, originally I was worried about making it too deep but we can see Ploom made their version 2 deeper than I would ever want to take the time to file. And not at all! I'm more curious about why you don't like the feeling of the new mouthpiece so much...

Small and cute, just like my bonsai!

Great pic! I love how easy it is to make art with the Pax!

JoeKickass,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Yes that's right, originally I was worried about making it too deep but we can see Ploom made their version 2 deeper than I would ever want to take the time to file. And not at all! I'm more curious about why you don't like the feeling of the new mouthpiece so much...

Thanks much JoeKA. I don't like the looser feel of the new mouthpiece and the rattling clunky operation. I think removing all that steel gives the travelling pieces less contact and stabilization. :2c:

Dammit

Still waiting for my mouth piece. I talked to a customer service rep at ploom on Wednesday and got my tracking number. It was shipped on the 11th, and last it shows leaving the USPS sort facility in Des Moines, IA on the 13th. It's probably held up at the border. I'll be pretty pissed if I get dinged for customs fees or something on a free replacement part. Customs can keep the damn thing!

Dammit,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom