Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeKickass

My original version mouthpiece that I filed hasn't gotten stuck once, not a single time. And it's so resiny now that you can't even hear the ring move when you shake it!

Just an option for those that get the new style mouthpiece, if you want to tinker around with your old one, a tiny bit of filing will make it 100% reliable and keep that smooth, fluid feel.

We can all figure out ways to get it all in the oven. The point here is that we have to, and some of us find it a nuisance.

It's fine for you. It's not fine for me. Basically your attitude is, get used to it and soon it won't bother you any more. Wrong. For the last time, just because some people don't find it an issue doesn't mean it's not a problem for someone else. Why is this so hard?

What vape do you not have to load? Whether you're loading a cylindrical chamber or loading a trench you still have to do something to get the flower in there... What's your preferred alternative?

Is there a secret Pakalolo-brand Anti-Gravity technology that we're missing out on? :D

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
My original version mouthpiece that I filed hasn't gotten stuck once, not a single time. And it's so resiny now that you can't even hear the ring move when you shake it!

Just an option for those that get the new style mouthpiece, if you want to tinker around with your old one, a tiny bit of filing will make it 100% reliable and keep that smooth, fluid feel.

What vape do you not have to load? Whether you're loading a cylindrical chamber or loading a trench you still have to do something to get the flower in there... What's your preferred alternative?

Is there a secret Pakalolo-brand Anti-Gravity technology that we're missing out on? :D

I thought this topic was done.

First, it isn't the loading that an issue, it's the shoulders inside the narrow well that some of the weed accumulates on while you're loading. What I find a pain in the ass is trying to get the stuff off those shoulders and into the oven.

Second, this isn't an issue for debate. This is my experience and my opinion. It's silly to deny it's a problem and silly to tell me I shouldn't care. That's like telling me I don't have a problem with the taste of broccoli and that I shouldn't mind it.

Now can we move on?

:horse:

pakalolo,

JoeKickass

it's the shoulders inside the narrow well that some of the weed accumulates on while you're loading. What I find a pain in the ass is trying to get the stuff off those shoulders and into the oven.

I'm surprised you didn't think to transfer this over from your mflb experience! The trick I've found is: press down the majority that falls in the oven, and then (like the mflb after you shake) do the tilt-and-tap motion with the back of your fingernail to shake the leftovers into the oven and do one final press.

After packing 50 bowls in my Pax (at least!) I'm pretty sure I could pack that 0.68g bowl in my old post in about 10-15 seconds, maybe less if I rushed :D

Getting stuff on the side of the mflb trench used to bug me too until I figured out the right technique!
(Horses work better if you ride them not kill them :tup:)

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I'm surprised you didn't think to transfer this over from your mflb experience! The trick I've found is: press down the majority that falls in the oven, and then (like the mflb after you shake) do the tilt-and-tap motion with the back of your fingernail to shake the leftovers into the oven and do one final press.

After packing 50 bowls in my Pax (at least!) I'm pretty sure I could pack that 0.68g bowl in my old post in about 10-15 seconds, maybe less if I rushed :D

Getting stuff on the side of the mflb trench used to bug me too until I figured out the right technique!
(Horses work better if you ride them not kill them :tup:)

<sarcasm>Gosh, why didn't I think of that? :doh: The LB has shoulders too!</sarcasm>

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
where did you look? I ordered mine from vapeworld and it was free shipping, though they are back ordered, I have not even had a reply to my email asking about them yet.

That was the Ploom site and they are backordered now as well. Damn.

Tstat,

vakedcow

Gentle cow vaper and halloween kiddo
Finally had time to clean the spring area with iso and I have almost no temp mode switching now. Works great! :)
My wife had the idea to use dental brushes and they do work great around the spring area as they are so small.

Can the new mouthpiece owners confirm that the contact / temp mode prob is also solved by that or does it only affect the popup?

*edited a typo

vakedcow,

webb

Level 100 Lurker
What are you guys' thoughts on bringing the Pax on a plane? I'm planning on getting the amethyst in the next few weeks and want to take it on my vacation to San Francisco. Would it be better to just leave it at home? I wouldn't want to risk it getting taken.

webb,

willieR

Been here since 2009
JoeKA that is excellent info on your mod. I am absolutely going to do this just as soon as the new one arrives. Thank you for keping us posted on this. :bowdown:

willieR,

JoeKickass

Finally had time to clean the spring area with iso and I have almost no temp mode switching now. Works great! :)
My wife had the idea to use dental brushes and they do work great around the spring area as they are so small.

Can the new mouthpiece owners confirm that the contact / temp mode prob is also solved by that or does it only affect the popup?

*edited a typo

Ploom mentioned you can also just click the mouthpiece in and out a few times when it's warmed up to wipe away excess resin. Eventually yeah you'd probably want to clean it out but I'm going to find out just how long you can go without cleaning before anything happens.

What are you guys' thoughts on bringing the Pax on a plane? I'm planning on getting the amethyst in the next few weeks and want to take it on my vacation to San Francisco. Would it be better to just leave it at home? I wouldn't want to risk it getting taken.

Checked luggage, maybe wrapped in clothes, packed among mp3 players and batteries and other electronics. Flower is the tricky one, I'd store it in a small glass jar or several baggies and pack it in many clothes or with deodorant or something to contain the smell.

JoeKA that is excellent info on your mod. I am absolutely going to do this just as soon as the new one arrives. Thank you for keping us posted on this. :bowdown:

I was sure I'd need to file it more to make a difference, but so far it's been 100%, and you can barely see the difference...

JoeKickass,

vakedcow

Gentle cow vaper and halloween kiddo
What is a dental brush other than a toothbrush?

Basicly small brushes for in between teeth.
As a fc newb I can't post pics yet :oops:
but here's a google pic search for my local brand ¨candida interdental"
link

I'm using the pyramide 3-5 mm but 2mm should do too I guess.

vakedcow,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
I already know what the perfect tool is going to be for the PAX while I wait for it to arrive in the mail.... here it is!

picktool1.png

picktool2.png

This tool is my favorite it has a packer tool and a poker (stir) tool and one other tool i never use, but it's by far the ultimate handy tool I use for all my needs. The packer tool on this looks perfect size for this, but time will only tell when I get mine in the mail!

Dont fit the Pax... Already tried it.. But it is a nice tool..

Rolux

Hey guys new PAX owner here seeking some advice/help.

First off backround info on my situation.

This is my first vaporizer.
I did receive second round of devices with updated mouthpiece.
I have read this entire thread.
I do not live in a medicinal state but do have access to high quality medication

Ok so I received my pax earlier this week and was so excited I took off work to have a whole day to play around with this awesome device. I first noticed the sensitivity of the mouthpiece up down action. After research on this thread I figured it out and haven't had a problem with the mouthpiece since.

Then I packed it.

I filled the oven with about .3 and packed it down hard and set PAx to medium. Took my first "cigar like" toke and smiled. It tasted like a fresh Nug was in my mouth. But I blew that hit out and nothing no vapor. Tried it a 2nd time once again awesome taste no vapor.

Then the third hit. It was as if someone stole my nice medicine within my pax and replaced it with sticks and seeds. It tasted horrible. I mean horrible. But there was a little more vapor. And it would get worse and worse as I smoked.. Thicker clouds but very bad taste.

Is this normal with a vaporizer like only 2 or 3 nice tasting hits before the WHAT IM GUESSING IS ABV taste comes along ?

Am I doing somthing wrong ?

Could my device be heating it wrong and maybe cubusting it as it goes which makes smoke not vapor?

Basically those that are happy with your pax when you pack up anywhere between .2-.6 how many fresh tasty hits do get before you taste doness?

Soon I will post a video of my sessions so you can see what I'm dealing with here.

Untill then any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I really love this device and just want one that performs the way all of you have been saying it does!

Rolux,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
If this is your first vaporizer, then yes, you might not be used to how herb tastes as it gets toasted and it can also depend on the quality of your strain. If it is black when it comes out of the oven, it would be considered combusted, but so far, all of my ABV comes out a nice dark brown, no signs of combustion even on high. I would suggest trying a smaller load, so you get 3-4 good hits, stir, finish, and reload if flavor is what you are after, and maybe try it on the high setting until you get the hang of hitting it. It will get used up faster on high, but your hits will have quite a bit more vapor. Also another good thing to do is let it warm for about 5 or so seconds longer than the green light, to make sure your vapor is building up before you cool the oven by hitting it. A slow (soft) even draw gets me thick vapor even on low, it's a slightly different technique from smoking. Keep at it, be patient, and best wishes on getting to know your pax.

I thought my pax tasted a little off the first couple times i used it, but it has since got better. Maybe try putting your pax on high, and let the vapor build up a little longer before your hits like jamband said. Doing that should deliver a nice good tasting, milky hit.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Just got this from vapeworld, about the backordered pax parts, and when they are expecting to have them in stock:

- Pax Cleaning Kits: Sept. 19th
- Pax Charging Kits: Sept. 28th
- Pax Replacement Mouthpieces: Sept. 28th
- Pax Replacement Oven Lids: Oct. 18th
- Pax Replacement Screens: Oct. 18th

Rolux

so I just tried a smaller load on high and waited aprox 5 sec between each hit.
First two hits were full of awesome flavor but very little vapor. And once again after the third the taste comes, and what I now think is smoke from combustion. I think it may be smoke because like jamband said my ABV has a black bottom layer. Kinda like the ovens heat is focused on the bottom. Which causes the bottom to combust and ruin any flavor that is left.

My medicine literally looks layered from black bottom to almost fresh top. After 3-4 hits

I have never experienced any vapor I would consider milky.

Rolux,

dudeeitsbrian

First two hits were full of awesome flavor but very little vapor. And once again after the third the taste comes, and what I now think is smoke from combustion. I think it may be smoke because like jamband said my ABV has a black bottom layer. Kinda like the ovens heat is focused on the bottom. Which causes the bottom to combust and ruin any flavor that is left.

My medicine literally looks layered from black bottom to almost fresh top. After 3-4 hits

sounds like you've found the high temperature setting, i would recommend lowering it to medium as you'll find you get much better results. also, if you pack it full you're going to have to stir it to get the most out of it.

dudeeitsbrian,
Reactions: willieR

jambandphan03

in flavor country
just got my replacement mouthpiece, and it is the newer one. It does seem less smooth going in and out, but other than that, it seems to be working well so far. Good to know I have an extra.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: willieR

jambandphan03

in flavor country

Is your screen in place in the oven? may seem like a silly question, but I thought it was worth asking.

jambandphan03,

CapitalFlower

Re the Inhalater, its drawbacks have been discussed in the Inhalater forum. Re the Pax, you may well be right. Anyway, what suits one person may not suit another. Personally, I like my Solo, except it's not fully portable. I also like my iolite, except it's noisy and has only one temperature setting (190C / 374F), and my MFLB is a great stand-by, but too fiddly for everyday use. :2c:

I've read through the entire Inhalator thread and I couldn't really find any drawbacks

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

The Pax is not supposed to be able to reach combustion. It can, however, blacken the bottom of your load and make it taste awful--but I guess you know that already.

From your description, I am pretty sure you are drawing too hard. The condition you describe for your ABV means that heating and vaporization are taking place. If you are using the red heat setting (and that seems likely to me) then you should be able to get thick clouds right away. Don't draw on it so much as take light puffs, spaced a second apart. Don't inhale from the lungs, and be gentle. When you pull too hard you cool everything down and vaporization stops. When you stop, the heater comes back up to temperature and happily cooks the bottom of your load.

If you want to prolong the taste, use the yellow (lowest) heat setting. Although it won't be as thick, you can still get lots of visible vapour at that setting and the taste does last longer.

Rolux

Is your screen in place in the oven? may seem like a silly question, but I thought it was worth asking.

yes screen is in place..

No silly questions I appreciate all help I wanna figure this out!! :( haha

I at this point feel like I'm wasting medicine when I use my pax.
I have been angrily combusting outta my waterpipe while eyeballing my pax

Rolux,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom