Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espo

Has anyone found a good place to buy quality pipe cleaners? I'm down to only 2 pipe cleaners Ploom gave us and don't want to run out. I had some laying around at home but they shed and don't want to use them in the pax.

Secondly I got my replacement oven lid yesterday and BOY what a difference. It hits a lot easier and smoother! I am much happier.

Lastly I am kinda upset I purchased 3 sets of replacement screens, I've been using the same screen since I got my Pax, the screen cleans off nice and easy with a razor blade and some 91% iso. I do want to pickup a 'new' mouthpiece but how can we be sure we get a new 'updated' one?

Espo,
Welcome back Dude! Missed you. Nice evolutionary modification of JKA's design.:tup:

Espo-
I got my mouthpiece directly from Ploom by using the chat line. No fuss, no muss. I was informed I would be getting the updated version.

HephziBubba,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I like the Dude's tool design.

Having used the Pax for a night, my reaction is mixed. I'm thinking the oven retaining heat might be one reason this vape really uses a lot of herb. I was using on high temp to see just how much milk could be produced.

Today I'll try on medium and see how the herb handles a couple of sessions. The big oven hold a lot of herb, too much for a single session. So the herb has to last through a couple / three sessions.

To me a tasty session is with the MFLB with the PA. I'd like to see if I could get that with the Pax on medium.

I bought this so I could load a fair amount and head outside. Have both oven and battery capacity.

I just posted on this subject in the LB thread. If you want the Pax to come even close to the LB in terms of how much weed it consumes, you'll need to adjust your expectations and style. The Pax vapourizes a lot more weed per hit, so if you do multiple hits one after the other, you will use up your stash a lot faster than the LB would. If you hit it and wait a few minutes between hits, you will be able to conserve somewhat.

pakalolo,

willieR

Been here since 2009
My fear is that the big oven + oven heat retention will taint the contents between sessions. So technically still getting the vapor, but doesn't taste as good... again, my speculation. I will see today.

The MFLB just has no balls unless using the PA, hence my search for a portable with more bat capacity. If I could somehow connect a big Panasonic battery to the LB, I would

willieR,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
My fear is that the big oven + oven heat retention will taint the contents between sessions. So technically still getting the vapor, but doesn't taste as good... again, my speculation. I will see today.

The MFLB just has no balls unless using the PA, hence my search for a portable with more bat capacity. If I could somehow connect a big Panasonic battery to the LB, I would

The way the Pax works does degrade the load somewhat. The heater stays at full for a minute before it drops to standby, which is well below normal vapourizing temps but is high enough to release some of the flavour terpenoids. If you are carrying it or moving it in any way, it won't drop to standby or turn off. If you're interested in using less and getting the best out of your stash, then I suggest that you hit it and turn it off right away. Leaving it on for several hits in a row definitely is not good for conservation or flavour. I think you're using up the battery faster, however, since it has to heat up every time you turn it on, and I think this uses more power than leaving it on.

pakalolo,
Reactions: willieR

garshajg

new poster here, receieved my pax little over a week ago and loved my first session but since then it feels as if the airway always gets clogged after the first hit. I have cleaned after every use and can not find anything that would cause this obstruction. The screen is not coated in resin the airway is completely clear and I have cleaned my mouthpiece, I have been following the thread and read earlier on about the position fo the screen and allowing for an air gap, i have tried all of these with no success. I know it has to be something simple and otherwise this thing has functioned perfectly. The first few uses I was getting nice clouds and drawing may have taken a little effort but now you can barely draw. When i pack a fresh load I can ussually puff it like a cigar once or twice and get some nice cloud but then it just becomes unbearable and you can barely draw anything out of it. I know i should probably consult with the support on ploom's website but for some reason it is not loading. Any reccomendations will be appreciated.

garshajg,

Espo

Here is my method when I want to get 3 sessions out of one bowl pack.

I pack my Pax pretty good/tight, turn it on MEDIUM for 2-3 hits and immediately turn it off (dont forget to get that last 'hit' out after the mouth piece is closed). This gets me medicated.

I then turn it back on HIGH for 2-3 hits and immediatly turn it off, again it gets me medicated.

Lastly I stir the oven and turn it back on HIGH for the remainder of the bowl. It might not taste good on the 3rd session (after the stir) but it gets me medicated.

This also depends on the quality of flowers your putting into the Pax and how long they last.

I only do this method when I am working, when I am home (or with friends) I burn a whole bowl on high.

new poster here, receieved my pax little over a week ago and loved my first session but since then it feels as if the airway always gets clogged after the first hit. I have cleaned after every use and can not find anything that would cause this obstruction. The screen is not coated in resin the airway is completely clear and I have cleaned my mouthpiece, I have been following the thread and read earlier on about the position fo the screen and allowing for an air gap, i have tried all of these with no success. I know it has to be something simple and otherwise this thing has functioned perfectly. The first few uses I was getting nice clouds and drawing may have taken a little effort but now you can barely draw. When i pack a fresh load I can ussually puff it like a cigar once or twice and get some nice cloud but then it just becomes unbearable and you can barely draw anything out of it. I know i should probably consult with the support on ploom's website but for some reason it is not loading. Any reccomendations will be appreciated.

So your saying it hits pefect for the first 1-2 hits/puffs but then you cannot hit it after that?
I was having a similar situation but was ALWAYS hard to hit.
Try 'venting' your oven lid while hitting. Just rock it one way so it sticks up past the bottom of the Pax just 1mm or so. See if that helps. I would contact Ploom and tell them your situation, maybe they will send you a new oven lid.

Vape N Bake

Disturbed
Has anyone tried a piece of stainless steel tubing cut to length to fit the depth of the oven and only loading herb inside the tubing? This would cut down the oven load size and should make it taste better with a smaller load. I do not own a Pax but if I did I think it might be worth a try.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Here is my method when I want to get 3 sessions out of one bowl pack.

I pack my Pax pretty good/tight, turn it on MEDIUM for 2-3 hits and immediately turn it off (dont forget to get that last 'hit' out after the mouth piece is closed). This gets me medicated.

I then turn it back on HIGH for 2-3 hits and immediatly turn it off, again it gets me medicated.

Lastly I stir the oven and turn it back on HIGH for the remainder of the bowl. It might not taste good on the 3rd session (after the stir) but it gets me medicated.

This also depends on the quality of flowers your putting into the Pax and how long they last.

I only do this method when I am working, when I am home (or with friends) I burn a whole bowl on high.

My problem is that a full Pax oven would last me two and probably three whole days in the LB. There's no way I could stretch .3g over three days in the Pax, even if I use .1g per oven supplemented with ABV.

Striving for conservation with the Pax is like driving in screws with a hammer: you might get somewhere but it's the wrong tool. Fans of low temperature vapourizing are likely to be troubled by the Pax. The lowest temperature is 190°C and the flavour is lost quickly. The Pax is a good choice for the people who need heavy hits quickly and put that ahead of flavour and cost.

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
I ordered my Pax last week direct from Ploom, so I am anxious to get it and start trying it! I am expecting mine sometime next week so I should be able to post a review pretty shortly. I have some concerns about the operation of the unit based on some of the problems I have read about here in this thread, but I have had confidence trying a lot of new vapes as they come out and haven't experienced many of the pitfalls that others have reported.

Wish me luck Fc'ers! It sounds like the combination of The VXC Cloud for home use and Pax for away games will create a new fraternity of vape lovers! I can't wait to be a part of this illustrious club!

Bluntcrush,

garshajg

So your saying it hits pefect for the first 1-2 hits/puffs but then you cannot hit it after that?
I was having a similar situation but was ALWAYS hard to hit.
Try 'venting' your oven lid while hitting. Just rock it one way so it sticks up past the bottom of the Pax just 1mm or so. See if that helps. I would contact Ploom and tell them your situation, maybe they will send you a new oven lid.

I wouldnt say the first hit is perfect but I can atleast get something out of it, not much tho it feels as if after the first pull something moves and obstructs the air path even more tho, I am certainly not getting hits like I was the first two days tho where it was very easy to puff it like a cigar. I have tried venting with the door and that does not help much I have a feeling that it has something to do with the screen but I just cant figure it out, I can not wait to get this thing functioning correctly

garshajg,

headdoctor

Hi everyone,
Sorry to to contribute to the many "Pax vs Solo" posts but I've got a question. I've got a Volcano at home and I love it for a number of reasons but in big part because it's so *simple*. No fuss, no muss right out of the box--no idiosyncrasies, no sticking parts, no learning curve, virtually no cleaning, nuthin'. I don't necessarily expect that from a portable, but I'm also wary of getting into something that takes a lot of management, modifications, etc. The Solo has been around for a while and gets basically positive reviews, but clearly there have been issues and people do lots of minor alterations (like adding screens, etc). I plan to use my portable infrequently, only on trips, say for a weekend every two or three months. I don't mind cleaning it, but I do want something that is going to do the job without requiring an advanced engineering degree. So my obvious question: which is easier to use, both out of the box and over the long run? I know the Pax is still new and the kinks are getting worked out; that's not a problem. I'm really interested in which is more user-friendly.
Thanks!

headdoctor,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Espo, I like the methodology. Wasn't there some discussion about packing a 1/2 oven load?

willieR,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Ya, but with no herbal contact with the oven sides, you won't get any heating of the herbs

willieR,

Peroy

For those who have sent their unit back under warranty after medicinal use - Im a bit hesistant to send mine in because of any hnints of residue that may be left.

Are you getting the oven totally spotless? no matter how hard I clean there's still some brown spots.

Peroy,

willieR

Been here since 2009
People send these back all the time. Just clean it. Really, no one is going to do a molecular analysis on some brown smudge on a vape screen

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
For those who have sent their unit back under warranty after MJ use, how well did you clean it? Im a bit hesistant (or paranoid) to send mine in because of any residue that may be left.
I'd imagine they cleaned it pretty well. Razor blade and wipe the screen if excess buildup is on it. I wouldn't fret too much about it. Just make sure you follow plooms cleaning video as well. Would be interesting in hearing other peoples return experiences. I know ilovebOObs had his replaced.

kushcabbage,
Reactions: willieR

Vape N Bake

Disturbed
Ya, but with no herbal contact with the oven sides, you won't get any heating of the herbs
You are probably correct. I didn't know the oven is only heated from the sides and not from the bottom too. If it is also heated from the bottom it might still work.

Vape N Bake,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I was able to use my first one with a defect a few times, before I sent it in. I just cleaned it as well as I could with iso, and didn't worry too much about it. They received it, and issued my refund, no problems. I think as long as you clean what you can you should be fine.

Oh, and I went to ploom chat again today, and think they are going to send me a new mouthpiece now. Hope this takes care of that heat light issue.

I was hesitant too but $250 is $250. Cleaned it, packed it with a Jesús Malverde figurine and sent it off. Got it back fine. So far so good but I'll let you know if anything suspicious happens......

HephziBubba,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom