Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudeeitsbrian

Hey skippy, I've read this entire thread through and definitely have to agree with you here. I'm excited for this product but think there are way too many issues with it so far. It's nice to read about how awesome it is but I think i'm leaning toward the solo or Inhalater at this point. I will keep an eye out for revisions or improvements.
Well today after a regular cleaning I've finally been hit with the stuck temp button. Whack but at least it stuck on high which is what I use mostly anyways lol. Don't want to be without flower vape so prolly wait for the bender for persei to come out before I switch this in for replacement
you guys are some extremely picky consumers.... no product is ever going to be perfect. and seriously, you're going to exchange it because of the sticky button? just play around with it, i fixed it in like 5 minutes....

i have no faith in humanity....
I suspect the new shipments will all have the new mouthpieces. I'd assume that's about it.

Someday maybe they'll change the plastic for the temp button. That seems like the major oversight to me. Obviously vapes and Iso go hand in hand so why build this with a product that clearly reacts to Iso.
as already stated by myself and JoeKickass, iso is not needed at all to clean this device. clean it while its warm and it will probably do a better job than iso, actually.

the only part i use iso on is to clean the oven its self, and to soak the screen/mouthpiece.

dudeeitsbrian

Having an iso-sensitive part in the device was a dumb move. What else is there to say? I ordered one anyway, but that was poor planning on their part.
it is offensive to read that someone would return their pax because of a problem that is so easily solved in five minutes....

it goes to show how lazy most americans are, and makes me remember how ashamed i am to be one.

mod note: What's really offensive here is your response.

kronickidd

:mad: turned my on.. orange light!!! WTF does that mean! some times when i turned it on.. it goes white orange or red ... then purple... so im guessing.. some times when you turn it on.. the extra light you see might indicate what setting your on.. but this doesn't happen all the time.. and i can't seem to activate party mode... spinning , rolling it... like a joint/screwdriver... no avail....

sticky situation... i has doing a whole night with just the pax.....i must of have had at least close to 16 ovens just that day alone( converting combusters along the way) the mouth piece didn't want to come up... damn... when it slowly but surely did... i cleaned the hell out of it... why did they make the light button so close to the mouth path way!?!?!

3 small minor con's about this unit
-mouth piece needs to have a better air flow/ put real holes in the screen!
-we should be able to charge this thru USB!!!!
-light button needs to be more solid and not close to air way

other than that... just keep this sucker clean... it's still my #1 go to...

kronickidd,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I just got to see the blue one for the first time. It is VERY nice, very pretty. My friend is loving the Pax as her first vaporizer. It's funny, I meet these two women every weekend and have been talking up vaporizing for a while. Once I finally brought the Pax over, they both loved it. I'm going to convert the other woman, too- but with the Solo next week :)

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I would have to agree about the iso, it's strange they would make the button out of a material that reacts to Iso, then include Iso wipes with the unit, as a suggested method of cleaning, and if a button got stuck on my unit to the point it would no longer function correctly, and I couldn't get it to work, I would also send it in for replacement. I'm not paying $250 for something, just keep using it broken, because it wasn't made quite well enough. Esp. when there is a warranty involved. Can't blame a guy/gal for wanting a fully functioning unit for the price these go for. I'm all for recycle, reuse, waste as little as possible, but I also want my gear to work right. I won't knock the product for having it's flaws, as we all know today it's hard to have everything in one package. The Pax is still a very well made device, and just needs a bit more tweaking. I thought about the 2nd batch coming out a little different too, but I guess now I won't know because I opted out for the existing blue model on vaporstore.com. So anyone who does get one from the next batch, it would be nice to find out if there has been any upgrades made to the unit.

Also...speaking of airflow, has anyone tried cutting a standard SS screen to fit the oven, to see if it offers better air flow while keeping the debris out of the air path? I might have to try that when I get my hands on one that works.

willieR

Been here since 2009
Good thought about the screen. What would you cut that screen from? Screen stock in larger pieces? Nice to save on screen prices

willieR,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Why solo? Why not pax too?
Price is the first factor. And she owns a store and likes to medicate there, but it's hard when you smoke. I think it will be perfect for her. So, it's like a vape meeting, I bring different vapes for them to try!

Tstat,
Reactions: Namaste
I do plan on getting one of the Vape tools and I like the rubber band idea but I don't think $10 shipped is worth it. I think I will wait till they are restocked on Amazon for $5 shipped. For now I have made this
PaxPoker.jpg

Just cut an old coat hanger and bent it with some needle nose pliers.
Pax.jpg

Also you can pack it down as well. It's not as nice but it will do the trick for now

JoeKickass

I don't think the button reacts to iso, iso bottles are made of plastic...

If you look inside the Pax you'll find the button doesn't just sit on top of a button in an empty hole, it slides along a plastic wall. Since the button and the wall are so smooth there is a wicking action when you get iso on the button and wet iso (probably with a lil resin) gets drawn in and sandwiched between the button and the plastic. When it dries you have a sticky button.

Solution? Keep iso away from the top of the Pax. Mouthpiece is fine, oven is fine, but not the top, just use q-tips. Good thing the top stays so freaking clean :tup:

willieR

Been here since 2009
That's good info. Might be true that iso has no effect on that plastic (there are an awful lot of different plastics and plasticizers) and I'm inclined to believe JoeKA's theory, however the fact remains that the Pax supplied Iso wipes screw the button up directly or indirectly. Not to beat the now-dead horse too much more, but I would bet that Pax is looking at a solution.

willieR,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
I do plan on getting one of the Vape tools and I like the rubber band idea but I don't think $10 shipped is worth it. I think I will wait till they are restocked on Amazon for $5 shipped. For now I have made this
Just cut an old coat hanger and bent it with some needle nose pliers.
Also you can pack it down as well. It's not as nice but it will do the trick for now

Dude! Solid! Thanks for sharing. Could've saved $10 if I'd have waited. Oh well...

skippy

you guys are some extremely picky consumers.... no product is ever going to be perfect. and seriously, you're going to exchange it because of the sticky button? just play around with it, i fixed it in like 5 minutes....

i have no faith in humanity....

as already stated by myself and JoeKickass, iso is not needed at all to clean this device. clean it while its warm and it will probably do a better job than iso, actually.

the only part i use iso on is to clean the oven its self, and to soak the screen/mouthpiece.
No need to be be precious, it is called constructive criticism.

skippy,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Got my pipe cleaners in the mail today :) Having a bit of Pax on the brain... The bad one is well on it's way back to Ploom for a refund...new one has at least made it through the first USPS sort facility...watching reviews and other videos... here's a good one.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Having a bit of Pax on the brain...watching reviews and other videos... here's a good one. Got my pipe cleaners in the mail today :)

Thanks Jam. I took my PAX to PAX (Penny Arcade Expo) today. So I had my PAX at PAX...

I also wanted to comment on the sticky temp button. I believe this is caused by the ISO getting semi-saturated with resin. It is not really a reaction to the ISO. As you clean the vapor tube the ISO will dilute the resin. This can leave a thin layer of sticky residue on the button. Sort of like how if you clean a pipe in your hand with ISO you hand can be sort of sticky after. I find if I wipe the ISO off and not let it dry on there it helps reduce the amount of stray resin that can make the temp button stick.

llama1892

Aaron Rodgers Afficianado
Just wondering if anyone has experienced odd color switching on the PAX and if that is normal?
I will be using it in a sesh and will be pulling and the light will turn orange and wont go away unless i turn off and back on? battery is full and everything else seems okay?

llama1892,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
kushcabbage,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I'm holding out for the 3400s and I'll find someone who will spot weld the leads. Frankly, if I found someone who would weld the tabs to the battery and solder the leads to the PCB, I'd just pay them to do it. Maybe someone will start a small service.

Who was it that used Batteries Plus? JoeKA? Dudeeitsbrian? JDSupreme? Anyway, they advertise that all their locations have a tech center that does this work. Looking at some videos online, battery tab welding is a piece of cake with the right equipment. So that's where I'll go

willieR,
Hey guys, first time poster. Finally ordered my onyx pax, expected to ship sept. 10th! I've never vaped either, very excited about it!

And here's just a thought about the sticky button, keep in mind that the device is made for tobacco which might not produce a sticky resin that could cause the button to mess up. Just a thought

willieR

Been here since 2009
Welcome to the forum! Vape manufacturers all claim they're for tobacco, mint, etc so they are not classified as illicit like a bong. I'm just guessing but I bet 95%+ of all vapes never see a tobacco leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom