Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudeeitsbrian

just figured out exactly why Ploom suggests not soaking the oven lid, if you push out the magnets you can actually remove the piece that protrudes into the device a little, underneath it is some kind of rubber seal, and inside is some strange white powder. no idea what it is, will probably send Ploom a message tomorrow asking them whats up with it.

edit: just sent a message to Ploom saying this:

"Quick question regarding the oven lid. Today during my routine cleaning I noticed the magnets in the oven lid slide quite easily, so I decided to slide them out in order to clean better in the corners of the oven lid. I then noticed that the entire metal piece lifts out revealing a rubber seal, and underneath some mystery white powder. Could you please share some information about this white powder? What is it? What is its purpose? Please get back to me asap, I'm very curious to find out what it is."

dudeeitsbrian,
Reactions: MylesImp46

Pax!!!

Nice to have yet another articulate newcomer! This forum is just fantastic for bringing the inquisitive-types together :tup:

While I agree the Pax looks like a "smart device" the fact is, you never have to bring it out when your not vaping! I keep mine in a spot in my room at home, and in my pocket when I'm out, it's not the kind of thing you leave lying around. Like your cellphone, it's always with you or in a specific spot if it's charging, so you know where it is. It looks expensive, and it is, but it's more than just money if it's lost or stolen, it's your Pax!

And to the durability, the finish on mine has been remarkably tough. My Onyx Pax has been carried with keys and dropped on concrete and tile, and you've seen the pictures of it; only minor chips at the edges of the aluminum. I wouldn't be surprised if you could drop this from several stories and find it working...
You're certainly right JoeKA. I have to take common sense into account. I'm certainly not going to be laying this thing around or advertising it :) I think I'm just a paranoid individual, but I always worry about those brain-fart moments when I accidentally left it on the mantle the day my mother came over or getting pulled over for expired tags and it's in my backpack in the front seat, etc. I try to be very careful about such things, but sometimes something is going to happen. Maybe I'm just crazy or I just want to be 007.

Pax!!!

You're certainly right JoeKA. I have to take common sense into account. I'm certainly not going to be laying this thing around or advertising it :) I think I'm just a paranoid individual, but I always worry about those brain-fart moments when I accidentally left it on the mantle the day my mother came over or getting pulled over for expired tags and it's in my backpack in the front seat, etc. I try to be very careful about such things, but sometimes something is going to happen. Maybe I'm just crazy or I just want to be 007.
Nice to have yet another articulate newcomer! This forum is just fantastic for bringing the inquisitive-types together :tup:

While I agree the Pax looks like a "smart device" the fact is, you never have to bring it out when your not vaping! I keep mine in a spot in my room at home, and in my pocket when I'm out, it's not the kind of thing you leave lying around. Like your cellphone, it's always with you or in a specific spot if it's charging, so you know where it is. It looks expensive, and it is, but it's more than just money if it's lost or stolen, it's your Pax!

And to the durability, the finish on mine has been remarkably tough. My Onyx Pax has been carried with keys and dropped on concrete and tile, and you've seen the pictures of it; only minor chips at the edges of the aluminum. I wouldn't be surprised if you could drop this from several stories and find it working...
I'm happy to hear about the durability. I'm certainly not going to conduct any of my own durability tests though :)

JoeKickass

if you push out the magnets you can actually remove the piece that protrudes into the device a little, underneath it is some kind of rubber seal, and inside is some strange white powder.

If you unscrew the little screw and slide open your Pax you will find some more white powder inside, probably used to lubricate the seals, so far we think it's baby (talcum) powder. I think we'd all be interested if you hear back from Ploom though!

JoeKickass,

dudeeitsbrian

If you unscrew the little screw and slide open your Pax you will find some more white powder inside, probably used to lubricate the seals, so far we think it's baby (talcum) powder. I think we'd all be interested if you hear back from Ploom though!
i did notice that (will be modifying the battery in the pax i'm currently using), however it's not just a little bit, the entire part that protrudes into the device a little is packed full of the white powder. it seems like it is completely sealed off from everything and would never have a chance to get vaporized, and i'm sure it's there for a reason, however i'm still very curious to find out what it is and why it's there :p

dudeeitsbrian,
Reactions: JoeKickass

JoeKickass

i did notice that (will be modifying the battery in the pax i'm currently using), however it's not just a little bit, the entire part that protrudes into the device a little is packed full of the white powder. it seems like it is completely sealed off from everything and would never have a chance to get vaporized, and i'm sure it's there for a reason, however i'm still very curious to find out what it is and why it's there :p

Ah I see, Ploom must have decided baby powder (or whatever it is) can be used for heat insulation!

dudeeitsbrian

Ah I see, Ploom must have decided baby powder (or whatever it is) can be used for heat insulation!
sounds feasible, whatever it is hopefully i'll find out tomorrow when Ploom responds to the message.

i'm not too concerned about it, i'm more concerned about wanting my cobalt Pax to come right NOW lol. somehow the anticipation is killing me just as much as waiting for my first Pax (which was actually not bad since i got free overnight shipping on it lol, this one is gonna take 4-5 days).

dudeeitsbrian,
Ploom, if your reading, some nice gel skin silicone covers with a pullback bottom "cap" would be a really nice add-on! Multiple color, some added protection and a shield to help insulate for heat and smell and the cap that would cover the oven would do a nice job with keeping the contents from being spilled. Just pull it back before vaping and your good to go!

Adobewan

To all Pax owners, I've found the perfect tamping/packing/stirring tool for the Pax right in my vape arsenal. It's the Arizer Glass Stirring tool that came with my Q Tower.
http://arizer.com/store/en/heater-parts/20-glass-stirring-tool-glass-stirring-tool.html
arizerstirtool.jpg

The thick end is the perfect fit within the Pax oven chamber. Very easy to dump a load into the oven end, gently tamp/pack it into the oven with one end, then drag the sharp end around the rim knocking the rest of load into the chamber, then a final pack with the opp end and you have a neatly packed chamber in no time.
Once you see the fit, you'd think it was made for the Pax.

To all Pax owners, I've found the perfect tamping/packing/stirring tool for the Pax right in my vape arsenal. It's the Arizer Glass Stirring tool that came with my Q Tower.
http://arizer.com/store/en/heater-parts/20-glass-stirring-tool-glass-stirring-tool.html
arizerstirtool.jpg

The thick end is the perfect fit within the Pax oven chamber. Very easy to dump a load into the oven end, gently tamp/pack it into the oven with one end, then drag the sharp end around the rim knocking the rest of load into the chamber, then a final pack with the opp end and you have a neatly packed chamber in no time.

i had the same thought as you when i first got my Pax, unfortunately the thick end of my tool doesn't fit in the Pax oven:mad: i love the arizer tool, considered buying a few for my portables on the go

MylesImp46,
Although I don't own a Pax I'm seriously considering it! I love the kind of natural feel that the MFLB has though. I feel a very intimate connection with the device, like I know how it works and I feel close to the whole process of using it. I'm worried that although the Pax is no doubt incredible, it may feel a bit... 'clinical' perhaps, if that makes sense.

I know they both do the same thing ultimately, and that the Pax is better in pretty much all respects. Maybe I'm just being sentimental about it but to me how a device feels to use and own is very important. Anyone know what I mean or have similar reservations?

I guess you could use the analogy of someone clinging on to their trusty old walkman, reluctant to buy a newer and far superior iPod.

Good Bacteria,
Reactions: ShipDit

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
arizerstirtool.jpg

this was my first thought as well. but sadly, the tip is too large for the hole (thats what she said)

prob gonna get a dowel rod and cut it up into lil oven packers

Supyo

I just got my replacement mouth piece from Vapeworld and my Pax is working great again. I will be sure to clean it better from now on. I like the advice to put the charger on the top so resin won't drip on the metal ring of the mouth piece.

So since I had a faulty mouth piece, I decided to experiment. When I originally yanked it out, I damaged the metal tube beyond repair, so I took a 3/16 drill bit and bored through that tiny tiny plastic hole we breath through and now There is a nice open air path. It was very easy to drill through too. It pulls so much, much better, but unfortunately I can't try it out in my Pax because I do not want to have this piece get stuck again. But in theory, I think it will work great!!!

If anybody wants to further research this, please do.

Supyo,
Reactions: willieR

willieR

Been here since 2009
I like the advice to put the charger on the top so resin won't drip on the metal ring of the mouth piece.

I do too! Was there a section of this monster thread where someone made a rack or such to accommodate this?

So since I had a faulty mouth piece, I decided to experiment. When I originally yanked it out, I damaged the metal tube beyond repair, so I took a 3/16 drill bit and bored through that tiny tiny plastic hole we breath through and now There is a nice open air path. It was very easy to drill through too. It pulls so much, much better, but unfortunately I can't try it out in my Pax because I do not want to have this piece get stuck again. But in theory, I think it will work great!!!

If anybody wants to further research this, please do.

Very interesting! Love the collaboration.

willieR,

llama1892

Aaron Rodgers Afficianado
I've got some smoker friends who are becoming dissapointed with this device. I love it, which is really what matters? but when I have my friends over mostly all smokers, they claim it isnt getting them medicated, while I am almost over medicated on the same about of hits. I know tolerance can be an issue and other factors but are there any techniques to help this? thanks!

Happy vaping :)

llama1892,

Adobewan

@llama
There was a recent FC discussion about the transition from smoking to vaping taking a bit of time(approx two weeks was mentioned) and although I've become evangelical about the Pax, a portable(even one imbued with the righteous awesomeness of the Pax) may not be the right vape to make that transition. Once converted, I highly recommend the Pax in every vape arsenal, but an Underdog, Extreme Q Tower(or the mighty desktop unit of your choice) may be what helps them see the light,..
...thru vapor rather than nasty smoke.

willieR

Been here since 2009
Also on a per-hit basis, combustion delivers all the cannabinoids at once, including all the higher temp body buzz, couch lock cannabinoids. Of course you exhale much of it. After vaping, the ABV still has quite a bit of that couchlock cannabinoid left in it. I make glycerin tincture from the ABV, in fact.

So maybe your pals are looking for more of the couch lock. Just a theory. Correct / clarify me if that's not quite right.

Also, if anyone had more details on the specific names of the various cannabinoid compounds compared to their effects, I'd be mighty interested in a link.

llama1892

Aaron Rodgers Afficianado
Pretty much spot on @willieR
I feel like they are probably expecting that quickness that also comes along with smoking. They just dont understand the wonders of vaporizing, as most smokers dont. :(

thank you and to @adobewan for the responses!

llama1892,

Dammit

I've got some smoker friends who are becoming dissapointed with this device. I love it, which is really what matters? but when I have my friends over mostly all smokers, they claim it isnt getting them medicated, while I am almost over medicated on the same about of hits. I know tolerance can be an issue and other factors but are there any techniques to help this? thanks!

Happy vaping :)
What temp have you been using? Start it out on high. That usually kicks my ass.

Dammit,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
my arizer tool does not fit in my oven either.. anyone looking for a good packing tool, I found this nifty bent piece of metal selling as a "vape tool" http://vapetool.com also on amazon well anyway fits the oven well, my pax, the dual sided container someone recommend on the thermovape forum, herb on one side, a small brush from that crap atmos raw kit, packing tool on the other fits so well in my sunglasses case, perfect out and about combo.

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
my arizer tool does not fit in my oven either.. anyone looking for a good packing tool, I found this nifty bent piece of metal selling as a "vape tool" http://vapetool.com also on amazon well anyway fits the oven well, my pax, the dual sided container someone recommend on the thermovape forum, herb on one side, a small brush from that crap atmos raw kit, packing tool on the other fits so well in my sunglasses case, perfect out and about combo.

nice call!! just ordered one from amazon for under $5 shipped...

http://www.amazon.com/VapeTool-Mini-Tool/dp/B0089EYE74

dudeeitsbrian

so, just figured out that the sticking mouthpiece is directly related to sticky buildup at the top of the vapor path (possibly on the spring). prior to figuring this out i thought it was due to the ring on the mouthpiece sticking, fairly sure that was not the case (although it could be a combination of the two).

i've figured out a quite simple way to clean it, when you notice it sticking simply use the device as usual and as soon as you finish (while its still hot) bend a pipe cleaner in half and go to town scrubbing the top of the vapor path. this way you don't need to use iso at all, so it only takes like 1 minute, and also it cleans out a majority of the sticky residue because its all hot and liquidy, scrubbing with iso is simply not enough unless its going to be soaked in the iso.

in my opinion, cleaning the vapor path in this fashion one time a day and cleaning the entire device once a week should keep the pax working great. the sticking mouthpiece seems to be the most prominent issue, but it is easily solved following the instructions i posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom