Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I think the closest you'll get to that experience is with an oil vape. The solo may also work for you but it is big and you need to prepack and carry stems to get that sort of on demand performance.

I'm sure this thing rocks but I'm worried about the smell too

JCat

Accessory Maker
I think the closest you'll get to that experience is with an oil vape. The solo may also work for you but it is big and you need to prepack and carry stems to get that sort of on demand performance.

I really don't care that much about the smell ... but easy, quick, portable, and decent clouds is important (the only portable I've used that does the job for me is the Solo. The NO2, MFLB, just didn't cut it)

Your comment about oil has me intrigued ... is it really that much more efficient? Do the oil vapes produce really good, thick vapor? (I've heard good things about the Persei in this regard).

I'm also interested in the Persei once it has a herb chamber available (I've heard with the TV you spend all your time cleaning and doing battery maintenance but the Persei sounds promissing ...)

JCat,
This vape seems perfect for my situation but the weak vapor comment is something I hope someone give their opinion on the vapor quality.

Doctor Rajiv,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™

That's what I do. I pre-pack and use MFLB battery covers on my stems :ninja: when I am out with my Solo on the road with the wife. However, I personally use the TV DART when it's just me. That can keep me happy for during the day usage. If I get two fat hits from my DART, that will often carry me thru the morning. (Oil is awesome for a wake-n-bake! The high has some depth to it!:o )

The pen style vapes that handle flowers are a bit of a compromise IMO. They can be effective, but they need some user- tweaking. The PAX seems like it would be better for our outings though. It is self contained and it does not seem to get hot like the glass stems.

Bluntcrush,

JoeKickass

Your comment about oil has me intrigued ... is it really that much more efficient? Do the oil vapes produce really good, thick vapor? (I've heard good things about the Persei in this regard).

Flowers are around 15-30% thc

Concentrates are 60-85% thc

You definitely notice the difference! The persei or tv dart can't be compared to flower vapes imo, simply no contest in terms of how fast you feel it and the max high you can achieve...

Blvke

. You mean like using on a airplane? I don't think there is a single vaporizer I would consider using on an airplane. In that instance I would use pills/edibles/tinctures.

T
No, i mean more of how would it fare in my carry-on or checked luggage when i travel on an airplane. I have no intention to smoke on a plane. I often used to put my mflb in my checked luggage while travelling domestically without any issues. i was curious to how you think i would fare with the PAX?

Thanks for the detailed response! you have almost sold me on this vaporizer. I am also happy that the vaporizer review youtuber gave it a positive review. i have watched most of his videos and appreciate his opinion.

This PAX is looking good! almost preordered today. I think i want to go with the blue!

Blvke,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I really don't care that much about the smell ... but easy, quick, portable, and decent clouds is important (the only portable I've used that does the job for me is the Solo. The NO2, MFLB, just didn't cut it)

I'm also interested in the Persei once it has a herb chamber available (I've heard with the TV you spend all your time cleaning and doing battery maintenance but the Persei sounds promissing ...)

In a word: yes

There are several effective oil vapes on the market, like the TV:Rev, Ego CE3 Clearomizers, Omicron and it's big brother Persei. Oil is very potent, and the oil vapes on the market are very small, sleek and hold a nice amount of oil. They really do make the perfect pocket puffer because the unit is an all in one sort of deal and you just have to press a button and pull.

What you've heard about the ThermoVape is probably to do with the herb attachment, which uses 30 watts of power and drains real fast. The oil attachment isn't that bad at all.

Either way, if you'd like to learn more about these sort of vapes there is no better place to ask then the respective discussion threads, where people who own each will be able to take care of any concerns you've got.

CentiZen,

Boss

I have all my money for this vape set aside, I've seen two positive video reviews but I'm waiting on just a few more impressions before I lay down my order. So far it looks like it won't disappoint though!

Boss,

JoeKickass

I just posted in the PuffIt thread about battery replacement, before I decided to take a look at the Pax warranty...

http://www.ploom.com/warranty-exclusions-and-limitations-advisory
90 Days - Manufacturing Defects Only
10 Years - Manufacturing Defects Only (At least it sounds like that...)
"The Limited (10 year) Warranty does not apply to normal performance degradation of batteries or neglecting to adhere to cleaning instructions."

And while replacing a $100 PuffIt every couple of years is almost acceptable, I'm not sure I could bring myself to keep buying new $250 Pax's...

Why don't these manufacturers who put out vapes with non-replaceable batteries care about long-term customer satisfaction???

And while replacing a $100 PuffIt every couple of years is almost acceptable, I'm not sure I could bring myself to keep buying new $250 Pax's...

Why don't these manufacturers who put out vapes with non-replaceable batteries care about long-term customer satisfaction???

Ploom have been asked about this already, here is their response:

I wrote support about the battery questions, and life cycle expectations. Here is the response:

"...Nonetheless, after approximately 300 (full) charge cycles it can be assumed that the battery will hold around 80% of it's initial power. We will offer some kind of battery service, about which the cost/procedural details will be announced later. Also, the battery is covered under the warranty for defects or malfunctions or other issues of that sort. Basically, if there is a legitimate problem, we're definitely going to take care of you."

So if you follow that reasoning the device will go through about 1,500 charge cycles. If I charge mine once a day it should last for almost 5 years. It is nice to know they will be allowing you to replace the battery. Comforting knowing you will not be left with a brick. Lets hope the battery cost and replacement fees are nominal.

Rename Rev Ye Us,
Reactions: JoeKickass

JoeKickass

Thanks, Puffit said basically the same thing, they can replace it... just don't know the cost...
:uhoh:

JoeKickass,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Hopefully they'll allow consumers to replace their own batteries and supply instructions ... otherwise it's a serious pain from a shipping perspective (especially for anyone that chooses this as their only vaporizer ... what would they do while it was out for repair?). I believe the Solo batteries are around $50 (or $100 installed) if I remember the rumours correctly.

JCat,
Reactions: weedemon

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Hopefully they'll allow consumers to replace their own batteries and supply instructions ... otherwise it's a serious pain from a shipping perspective (especially for anyone that chooses this as their only vaporizer ... what would they do while it was out for repair?). I believe the Solo batteries are around $50 (or $100 installed) if I remember the rumours correctly.

The way the PAX is put together, I doubt they will allow you to replace the battery yourself. I have a feeling that it would be too complicated for most poeple.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: JCat

HoneyAir

I'm looking through portable threads and I am leaving them disappointed.

I JUST WANT A PORTABLE THAT I OWN

Not something I'm forced to send in, dealing with shipping costs and headaches, waiting weeks.

I want to be able to open it up, fix it, and get it going. I am naturally good at this.

1) Being able to order replacement batteries from the supplier is acceptable, as is voiding the warranty if I open it up to fix it or replace a battery.

2) It is ESSENTIAL that in the case that the manufacturer goes OUT OF BUSINESS, the customers immediately know what kind of battery they need and where they can order them. Being stuck with a USELESS DEVICE WE HAVE TO THROW AWAY due to the company being out of business is an unacceptable risk.

JCat

Accessory Maker
2) It is ESSENTIAL that in the case that the manufacturer goes OUT OF BUSINESS, the customers immediately know what kind of battery they need and where they can order them. Being stuck with a USELESS DEVICE WE HAVE TO THROW AWAY due to the company being out of business is an unacceptable risk.

I wouldn't necessarily go that far, however, I do tend to agree that user replacement of the battery should be an option since the battery has a lifespan and will, innevitably, fail. (Don't be like Apple and force us to go to great lengths just to get inside the device to change the battery! Unless there is a really, really, good reason to do so of course such as waterproofing etc.)

... Doesn't change the fact that I still want one! :lol:

JCat,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
The way I see things with these devices: Once the battery dies there will be another device that comes along that is a significant enough improvement that I will want to purchase that device instead of buy another battery. I don't think I have ever owned an electronic device that I had to purchase/replace batteries. I have always upgrade or moved on to a different device before the batteries ever got to the point that they would need to be replaced.

There are poeple out there who are perfectly capable of replacing the batteries. I built my own computer, I am good with my hands, and I know my way around electronic equipment. Allot of people don't have the same knowledge or expertise. They would be likely to break tings more then fix them. I can totally see why from a company stand point they would not want you to open or or service the device. I don't know what the internals look like. It could be really complicated. I also understand how it is frustrating when you know you could do the repair yourself but you can't get the supplies you need to actually do the repair.

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
These portables seem to have a soldered in battery or battery pack..... so I'd imagine that the manufacturer is taking away the liability of injury from non knowledgeable people causing either a destructive explosion with a Li-Ion battery (or multiple), or accidentally destroying the circuit board/components.

HoneyAir

There are customers who want the Apple approach [got a problem? let Apple take care of it] and there are customers who like to own and tinker with what they purchase [pc users in that mac vs pc debate].

I'm looking for that pc user type of portable. I'll keep searching around...

Aardvark

SM - I'm not sure if this was answered and I missed it, but I know I did see questions/concerns about the vapor path. what is the vapor path made of? Is it bare stainless steel throughout the interior up to the plastic mouthpiece as far as you can tell?

My main concern as far as reliability is with the mouthpiece clicky button deal. Is this movement something built into the pax body? or built into the little mouthpiece stem? How is this button mechanism isolated from the vapor path? Does the metal stem attached to the mouthpiece get dirty? does this stem get hot? how hot is the metal stem after a session?

Aardvark,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
And there are car adapters that make it into a wall plug! Not sure about if it's enough to work, though. I can't see why not.

I do not think it would charge well in a car even if you use a AC/DC adapter. You turn the unit on and take the mouth piece out. You put the mouth piece end down onto the charger base. If you touch or lift up the mouth piece if turns the unit off. You then have to take the unit off the charger, put the mouthpiece back in and do the process over again. I think car movement would cause the charger/unit to move enough that it would turn off and not charge regularly. You could be constantly trying to turn the unit back on and reconnect it to the charger if you tried to charge it in the car.

SM - I'm not sure if this was answered and I missed it, but I know I did see questions/concerns about the vapor path. what is the vapor path made of? Is it bare stainless steel throughout the interior up to the plastic mouthpiece as far as you can tell?

My main concern as far as reliability is with the mouthpiece clicky button deal. Is this movement something built into the pax body? or built into the little mouthpiece stem? How is this button mechanism isolated from the vapor path? Does the metal stem attached to the mouthpiece get dirty? does this stem get hot? how hot is the metal stem after a session?

The vapor path is all Stainless Steel up to the very tip of the mouth piece. The device is turned on and only works with the mouthpiece is in place. Something in the mouthpiece press up against something in the device and it recognizes when the mouth piece is in the unit. Stem does not get hot. The metal inside get oven gets hot to the touch. The switch seems to be isolated from the vapor path. The vapor path is the smaller tube so the mouth piece goes over the vapor path. I don't know quite how the switch works to turn it on/off and recognize when the mouthpiece is plugged into the unit.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Aardvark
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom