Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Last nights video is uploading now... I got it uploaded last night, and thought I could just post it this morning once I woke up. YouTube rejected it for the length. I had to do some extra steps to my account to upload a video longer then 15 minutes. Now I am re-uploading the video to YouTube. :(

The session lasted longer then a normal session. I sort of stretched the session out to the very end. I wanted to see how far I could take a bowl. I think for me a session will last about 10-15 minutes. This is comparable to my session length with the DaVinci.

I tried stirring the bowl with this last video. I think it helps the ABV some. It is easier to stir then I imagined. Personally, I might not stir every session. If I am at home I might bother to stir it. If I am in public or in my car I would not.

I knew the MFLB vs PAX comparison question would come. I did not answer it last night because I had to think about it. I want to try and answer honestly. Personally, I don't use the MFLB anymore. It does not do the trick for me much anymore. I don't like the battery management. They have a pass-through/power adapter that helps that issue, I have not tried it though. For me I would choose the PAX every time over the MFLB. I would also choose the DaVinci, Solo, and ThermoVape (T1 and Evolution) over the MFLB. If you count how many sessions I did yesterday, I would have needed 6+ batteries for the MFLB. That is allot of battery management. I also think the build of the PAX feels more substantial then the MFLB. The vapor production is significantly better then the MFLB. Personally, I perfer almost everything about the PAX over the MFLB.

I am going to work on another demo video this morning. I want to try and get a different angle then I got last night.

Thanks for the review. gonna have to try one of thes.e.....

So i watched the first video and it was painfully long....

Suggestions since you asked for feedback....

1. make em smaller and then people will actually watch em.
2. try 720p for better uploads. Do we really need 1080p video for a vape review? Its not like I am going to watch this on my 110" screen or something....

ru_frothi,
Appreciate the demonstrations.

Any idea how long the battery will last? It worrys me that it's not user replaceable and not covered by warranty.

Rename Rev Ye Us,

JCat

Accessory Maker
So far I'm pretty impressed ... I like my Solo a lot but it leaves me wanting more (often have 2-3 bowls in a session). Maybe this one will be the solution to getting medicated quickly and frequently with the bigger bowl?

Thanks a lot SM for the awesome reviews and honest feedback. It's really appreciated!

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Concisely worded feedback no doubt but very well intended I am sure ;) his video skills are rapidly improving. Please get some aloe on that burn ok? :ko:

If i did not want the feedback I would not have asked for it. ;) I went through 4 years of art school, so I don't mind the critiques. :tup: We all have opinions for reasons.

In terms of the length I leave these usage videos long because I don't want to edit the footage. I want viewers to feel like they are sitting watching the session. Just turn up your favorite music, turn on your favorite vape, and experience the video. People can let the footage load and scrub through it as they please. You don't have to watch the whole thing if you don't want to... but I thought I would leave it there for the poeple who do. The actual final video reviews tend to have more editing and such.

Personally, the extra time involved in 1080p is worth it for me. I like to get the most out of my equipment... even if that takes more time in the processing/uploading. It also makes it more future proof. You never know when your phone will have an awesome projector built in that displays 1080p videos/photos on any flat surface. I actually like to watch YouTube on my HD TV. I can tell a difference between 1080p and 720p on my TV when I play the videos using the YouTube app. If you have a chance you should check it out on a TV the HD footage looks so much better versus a computer monitor. Basically I am doing 1080p for HD Freaks like myself. :o

Thanks for the feedback rufrothy, I do appreciate it!

Appreciate the demonstrations.

Any idea how long the battery will last? It worrys me that it's not user replaceable and not covered by warranty.

I do not know how many cycles the battery will last for. I will send the company an e-mail and ask. I will get back once I have an answer.

So far I'm pretty impressed ... I like my Solo a lot but it leaves me wanting more (often have 2-3 bowls in a session). Maybe this one will be the solution to getting medicated quickly and frequently with the bigger bowl?

Thanks a lot SM for the awesome reviews and honest feedback. It's really appreciated!

I am like you, I tend to do 2-3 loads in the solo per session. I find the size of this chamber is better for my tolerance level. I feel medicated enough with one PAX oven full. It sounds like you might find the experience similar, since you have the same Solo usage/experience I do.

Edit: This mornings video is almost done! We are at 96% uploaded with about 8 minutes left. I will post it ASAP.

ManicMaurice

I don't want to jump the gun here, but to me it's looking like the Ploom Pax just seriously bypassed the LaunchBox, the Solo, and the ThermoVape herbal products. At least as far as portable vapes go.

I'm waiting until August to see what everyone else thinks, but it's looking good so far.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I don't want to jump the gun here, but to me it's looking like the Ploom Pax just seriously bypassed the LaunchBox, the Solo, and the ThermoVape herbal products. At least as far as portable vapes go.

I'm waiting until August to see what everyone else thinks, but it's looking good so far.
Whoa... slow down there, big guy. You just said a mouthful about a product that is only starting to be reviewed. I think you should wait before "bypassing" 3 very popular portable vaporizers that have proven track records with a new product that is only now being released.
:peace:

JoeKickass

That's true it takes more than a good product to be among the "great vaporizers" you need longevity and customer service too!

After all we do need a final answer on the replacement cost down the road, sooner or later you're going to find the battery lasts shorter and shorter until it's pretty much unusable. (Just like every cell phone if you keep them for 2-3+ years)

Is it $30, you pay to ship it back to them and they change the battery in yours and ship it back?

Is it free? Is it $100?

We simply don't know yet...

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Okay Finally, this mornings video is finished. This is the best video I have done so far for the PAX. You can see the cloud production in this video better than the previous. It also best represents what a normal session would be like. I tried to vaporize quickly like I was under a time constraint.

I was thinking about putting some background music in because I did not talk as much in this video. I decided I would let you pick out your own background music though. Turn on your favorite song and enjoy!

ctweips

Concerning the Thermovape comparison, I believe these two vapes could and would serve different purposes for different people. I for one sometimes need to quickly step outside to medicate and in my situation even the slight smell of the herb sitting in the Pax oven warming up could be an issue. Apples to Oranges :2c:

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
SM, I'm watching all your video's. I think you are great to take the time to do this for everyone else's benefit. :tup:

The last video you produced a TON of thick clouds, but it seems a bit wasteful to me. I'm also concerned that it takes .25 for each load. (tightly packed)

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Concerning the Thermovape comparison, I believe these two vapes could and would serve different purposes for different people. I for one sometimes need to quickly step outside to medicate and in my situation even the slight smell of the herb sitting in the Pax oven warming up could be an issue. Apples to Oranges :2c:

I think ctweips has an excellent point. That is one of the reasons I have not mentioned much about the ThermoVape in my comparisons. They feel like they serve different end goals.

I think it also brings up a bigger point of comparing all the units together. They all were designed with various end goals in mind. They are all portable vaporizers.. but to compare them all together, is like clumping all running shoes into the same category. All running shoes are in the same category of shoe, but they serve different purposes. Some running shoes are meant for short distances, some for marathons, some for pavement/concrete, some for rocky trails. They all have their use, the trick is finding out what you need for your end goal.

Moving back to vaporizers... do you want a quick hit or two, do you want to continue medicating but not to the level you would at home, or do you want to medicate to the level you would at home in public. All of those are different end goals, and a different units will fulfill those needs better or worse then others.

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Okay Finally, this mornings video is finished. This is the best video I have done so far for the PAX. You can see the cloud production in this video better than the previous. It also best represents what a normal session would be like. I tried to vaporize quickly like I was under a time constraint.

I was thinking about putting some background music in because I did not talk as much in this video. I decided I would let you pick out your own background music though. Turn on your favorite song and enjoy!

nice video one more feedback on the video production and also your audio is mono but left channel only.

If I see any of these at the cup this weekend I will have to pick one up.

Anybody else here headed to the SF medical cannabis cup this weekend?

ru_frothi,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Whoa... slow down there, big guy. You just said a mouthful about a product that is only starting to be reviewed. I think you should wait before "bypassing" 3 very popular portable vaporizers that have proven track records with a new product that is only now being released.
:peace:

I don't know ... I feel similar after SM's reviews and videos. His usage patterns and experience are similar to mine and my feeling after watching the video and watching the PAX review is similar to the way I fealt watching the Cloud review ... I've got to have one!!!!! The larger capacity with the portability and large cloud production make this a unit that's unique in it's class of vaporizers.

I feel like it might be worth taking the risk and working through the issues with the manufacturer as they arise (this worked out for me with the Solo ... the ceramic units got replaced with the stainless ones since they chipped)

I don't like the MFLB and never did as it never cut it for me, the NO2 I felt similar about as well as found it had a funny taste (maybe just the brass?) ... the Solo was the first portable I could even feasibly use as a regular device for medicating, but like I said, it leaves me wanting more as it's quite the ritual to load and vaporize 2-3 bowls somewhere like outside at a hotel (especially if you're unlucky enough to be somewhere without a balcony or its Winter!)

Although the ThermoVape and DaVinci products look interesting, I feel that they would also suffer from the same limitation I find most frustrating with my Solo (bowl size so the need to do multiple sessions at once which becomes a pain and time consuming ... although fine when I have the time to sit back and relax!)

Wish I could get one before the end of the month since I'll be on vacation and stuck to portable for over a week ... oh well, the Solo will do (as it has done quite nicely for the last year). This time I'm flying though so don't have the option of bringing edibles, cannabrex pills, etc. so will be stuck to just vaporizing.

Still trying to figure out how I can carry my Volcano around in my pocket ... but so far its a no go! :lol:

damienm420

Hey SM, what if you made a clip at the end of the video or just a video by itself. But edit out everything except you blowing each hit. And then make 16 different clips showing on the screen at the same time, but each clip is only 1 hit. So then you can look at every got of the bowl all at once. And the order of hits would go left to right so you know which is which?

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
SM, I'm watching all your video's. I think you are great to take the time to do this for everyone else's benefit. :tup:

The last video you produced a TON of thick clouds, but it seems a bit wasteful to me. I'm also concerned that it takes .25 for each load. (tightly packed)

I have not videotaped it yet, but I have done one session with about .15 grams of material. I found it worked pretty much just as well as fully packed. I think you might have to stir it more often, it will help to make sure you are getting good heat transfer between the looser plant material. I will make a video soon that is a half load in the same manner as the previous video. I felt like cloud production was comparable, but you did not get as many hits in total.

Oh also in terms of wasteful... yea I kind of am wasting some of it. When I am hitting normally and not for a video, I like to hold my hits for 7-12 seconds. I try and exhale as little vapor as possible. I am not really holding the hits in like I would in a normal session.

i'm the opposite :lol: i really like the idea of a bigger bowl cause it take at least 4 bowls in the solo for me to feel satisfied. i'm just hoping the pax can handle some bubble :D

I think for people with higher tolerance levels that tend to use more material per session this will be a portable they will prefer... simply because you can pack it fuller then other portables.

Eventually I will get up the courage to roast some bubble hash or keif. I don't think I will even attempt BHO or WAX in this thing. I think there is a strong possibility that some hash or keif will work. I imagine you just have to load a little in the oven and shake it in between each hit, similar to how you would hit hash or keif out of a MFLB.

Oh, and this just further illustrates my point about the end goals of users. We each have our preferences. :tup::rockon:

Must do more testing...

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
nice video one more feedback on the video production and also your audio is mono but left channel only.

not planning on going but if you see the pax, let me know!

ilovebOObs,
Reactions: JCat

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs

Let me know if they had them at the cup. I would be interested in knowing as well. I can't wait for others to get their hands on it. I am really curious to know if others usage experience is similar to mine.

Thanks for letting me know about the audio... when I use this lavalier mic, I only get audio though the left channel. At first I thought it was a setting in Adobe Premier Pro... but it is only with this lavalier mic. I think the right channel got broken or something. :( When i do a official video review I use a different microphone. Maybe I should stop using this lavalier mic all together.

Slightly Medicated,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Wish I was . . . please regale us with your tales if you attend?
I don't know ... I feel similar after SM's reviews and videos. His usage patterns and experience are similar to mine and my feeling after watching the video and watching the PAX review is similar to the way I fealt watching the Cloud review ... I've got to have one!!!!! . . . I don't like the MFLB and never did as it never cut it for me . . . it's quite the ritual to load and vaporize 2-3 bowls somewhere like outside at a hotel (especially if you're unlucky enough to be somewhere without a balcony or its Winter!
Me either on the LB :\ and excellent observations, I agree.

Wow this looks amazing. I am definitely going to pick this up in august or september. As for the thermovape I have a newfound respect for it because it is really good if you need to vape without a lot of warmup smells or herb smells. I can have my TV loaded, hold my finger over the mouthpiece as it heats up and take a hit and then blow it out of the window with the only vape smell going out the window, no excess vape leakage or bud smell leakage.

Also I wish we could get some more info on the makers and their background and what kind of innovative technology they are using in this thing!

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I have to agree with everyone statement about the ThermoVape and vaporizing in sensitive situations. Personally, I don't medicate in public too much. I prefer to go to my car and medicate in retaliative privacy. I am an introvert... I like medicating in private. If I were to vaporize in a public space I would pick the ThermoVape almost every time. I have stood on the sidewalk during an intermission at the theater and I did not feel conspicuous using the ThermoVape. I just looked like another one of the cigarette smokers having a quick smoke during intermission. No one gave me a second look. It afforded me a few hits so I could go back in and watch the rest of the show relatively pain free. I don't think I would feel comfortable doing that with the PAX.

Here is a good analogy.

ThermoVape = Dugout and Ceramic One-Hitter that looks like a cigarette.

4%20Inch%20Walnut%20%20DUG%20-%201.jpg

PAX = That joint you rolled before you left the house.

joint.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom