Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takavor23

Lev of Leviathan
Glass Blower
Sorry to bother I have two Pax's the green n black for home n work. I love my pax scrolled back n didn't find a answer. My green pax when clicked up turns red sometimes but when I put it down a little it works fine. I do use the green one allot more then the other. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or am I not cleaning it properly.

Takavor23,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Hey Lev, I've found lately that when I have this problem I just clean inside the mouthpiece stem and the problem is gone. It just sounds like the usual temp light issue. Keeping that stem clean and cleaning down in the spring area where the mouthpiece seats over the vapor tube will make for much smoother and fault free use.

Ludicrocity

Been doing this as of recent. You sir are a genius. The pax is happy because I don't vape as much product, adding more time between cleanings and I am happier because my wallet doesn't have to give up too much in order to enjoy it.

I have a high tolerance and I have noticed that vaping less obviously doesn't keep me up that long, but I kinda like it because I can control what I am doing, aka I can toke before class, before something and when that is finished, I am normally back down.

Highly recommend trying this, if you haven't already. Also, Sink screens are just a little too small to be optimal, I made it work, but the bigger screen was much better.

Yeah, thanks for this, it seems to work well, maybe better than a full oven, certainly one can draw a little easier.

Has anyone tested the same amount of flowers, say.4g or whatever your full load is, both doing it in small loads with the aid of a screen like this, whilst comparing it to shoving the whole lot in the chamber in one go. I'm suspecting the smaller amounts will win overall, but I haven't tried this yet. I have no shortage of flowers so I have no reason to economise, just wanna get the most enjoyable hits from my device ;)

Also a question to those who never use the high setting, do you just accept that you're prepared to waste some of the buds potential in flavour of not toasting your herbs so much? I've noticed once I can no longer get any vapour on medium setting, when I switch to high I get a considerable amount more from my buds, and it seems the heavier end of the stone too. Even on partially filled ovens using the screen.

Cheers, Ludi

Ludicrocity,

Bmart

Can someone please post a link to the original description of using this screen in the oven?

Bmart,

smokeyouup

Hello everyone! Looking for a good portable vape and am leaning towards the Pax. Is there anything else to know other than the mouthpiece sticking issue and the need for constant cleaning? Also, Are there any better portable vapes out there that have a long battery life. I suppose the order of my preferences other than stealthy are: 1) Battery life and 2) Bowl size. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks!

smokeyouup,

Ludicrocity

I haven't tried any of the other portables, but I've used the extreme and the volcano and I definitely have no complaints about the hit. Its very versatile regards bowl/oven size as you can see in the link posted just above your post.

My only bugbear really is the length of time the battery lasts, although I don't know how this compares to other portables. I don't know why they don't simply fit a sliding battery cover, similar to a phone, that would enable the user to carry as many batteries as is required, problem solved surely. I can't imagine they wont do something to help us out here, it'd be a huge plus for this excellent device.

If you search this thread for posts by Welderboy, he has found other batteries that last longer, and I guess if you're prepared to f*ck about with a small screwdriver and small battery wire terminals, you could switch batteries on the move.

The Pax is small and doesn't look like a herb device so easily fitted in the pocket and stealthy in that way, but its not that stealthy when it comes to smell, but then again no good vaporisor is, is it? ;)

As far as cleaning goes I'd say it needs it every couple of days of fairly heavy usage, you need to be thorough with the mouthpiece, but it is very simple and quick once you're on it, a real shitload simpler than cleaning stinky pipes and bongs that's for sure.

I think Ploom have made a great product here, certainly the best of the bunch for my purposes (after countless hours researching different models), but there is scope for improvements, especially in the battery area. Now a modded case to enable replaceable batteries would be exceptional, but I guess a little too much to hope for. :)

I think you've been a bit harsh on this guy. I don't see how he was doing anything wrong. If what he states is untrue, come back with the truth, don't give him a pathetic 3 day ban for airing his concerns, which he clearly genuinely has some. I also agree the warranty is a big con, being in the UK my warranty is worthless.

However, I f*cking love the pax. I'm looking for charging/battery mods to make this unit more useable for more sustainable lengths of time. I wanna make sure if I replace the battery I'll be looking for something with protection. I'm interested in Welderboy's battery discovery, but does the longer lasting Panasonic have the safety spec. Also wondering, with the correct connectors, whether these batteries could be replaced on the hoof so to speak.

Ludi

A quick apology to the mods here, I missed some stuff in the next page or so and I called this badly. . . . my bad, sorry.

Ludi

Edit:- Doh, I just realised I've back to back posted too, sorry.

mod note: Thanks for noticing. Two posts merged.
Apology appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ludicrocity,

Ludicrocity

Well I've been trying small loads today, still packed tightly but only a quarter full, even less, and the the folded screen and its worked a treat. I find it easier in the sense that it can become quite hard work drawing on a full and tightly packed oven, and with a shallow filled oven the draw is considerably easier (I haven't had mine that long though and perhaps I;m packing too much into the oven, .4g, though that doesn't mean much due to the differences in strains). I've now loaded it full with packed finely ground flower, then a layer of old school hash and then another later of packed flowers to top it off.

I don't really know if it works more efficiently in smaller loads, but I feel its at least as efficient. I like the large oven size for taking a good few hits out with me without the hassle of reloading often though, so with this screen technique available we have the choice of either, win win :)

Ludicrocity,

Bmart

Well I've been trying small loads today, still packed tightly but only a quarter full, even less, and the the folded screen and its worked a treat. I find it easier in the sense that it can become quite hard work drawing on a full and tightly packed oven, and with a shallow filled oven the draw is considerably easier (I haven't had mine that long though and perhaps I;m packing too much into the oven, .4g, though that doesn't mean much due to the differences in strains). I've now loaded it full with packed finely ground flower, then a layer of old school hash and then another later of packed flowers to top it off.

I don't really know if it works more efficiently in smaller loads, but I feel its at least as efficient. I like the large oven size for taking a good few hits out with me without the hassle of reloading often though, so with this screen technique available we have the choice of either, win win :)
Just to clarify, when talking about a small tightly packed load with and without the screen, you do notice an improvement with the screen in?

Bmart,

Ludicrocity

Mmm. . . . I have used shallow loads without the screen before I heard about this method, but I haven't compared, or the memory to compare (I don't know why :) ). I don't know that I've noticed a huge difference, but I'll test that one out tmro. One advantage is that your load stays in place pretty well when the screen is used, but having said that, I didn't have any issue with a packed shallow load staying in place, using it around the house, ie not being moved about much like in a pocket whilst walking or whilst off road motorcycling ;)

Do you notice a difference with or without the screen?

Ludicrocity,

Bmart

Mmm. . . . I have used shallow loads without the screen before I heard about this method, but I haven't compared, or the memory to compare (I don't know why :) ). I don't know that I've noticed a huge difference, but I'll test that one out tmro. One advantage is that your load stays in place pretty well when the screen is used, but having said that, I didn't have any issue with a packed shallow load staying in place, using it around the house, ie not being moved about much like in a pocket whilst walking or whilst off road motorcycling ;)

Do you notice a difference with or without the screen?
Havnt used the screen , i'm just trying to assess if its something that's worth the effort (albeit minimal) or not as I don't have any on hand...

Bmart,

Tim

Hello friends,

I've been away from the vape scene for a while. When I left, the Pax was the king of portables.
Is this still the case?
I'm going to spend a few hours rummaging through the forums now, but I was hoping to get a quick consensus.

Tim,

Vapodudule

A Fairy brough a pax near me and i catched it! I proudly own it since yersterday!

Immediately shaped the screen spacer of his own. first bowl very good for the tiny tiny i put.

I have a very sticky button too, meh whatever, twezer can change temp too.

Vapodudule,

giddyup

just bought a pax and some pipe screens. read about folding the pipe screen into a U-shape and placing it on top of small amount of product, then heating.

my question is: would it be easier/better to take out the pax screen, invert the u-shape pipe screen (bottom of the "u" facing up), then putting the pax screen on top of that inverted "u" (bottom of "u" in direct contact with the pax screen) and then placing product directly on pax screen? seems like it might be less hassle than taking pipe screen out, removing spent product, putting in new fresh product, replacing pipe screen, and heating. with pax screen on top of pipe screen, bowl size would still be minimized and product would be placed directly on pax screen. then, when changing spent product, no need to worry about pipe screen. would this work? any cons? cleaning implications? is my description at all understandable?

thanks in advance for your help.

overvaped

Vapor evangelist
Hi everyone,
maybe you are so kind to help me. I live in Europe, so they won't send men a Pax...however, I can ask a friend for a favour and have it sent through him.

The thing is if I have problems with the unit I may have problems, and extra costs, if I need to send it in.
I have not read this thread in ful, so I might be wrong, but I have the impression that it is quite common to have problems with the pax.

So, my question .... is it likely to have problems with the pax? I know it is not easy to answer, so I give two basic options:
  1. as likely as with any other product, go ahead
  2. more like than other products, wait for an UE distributor
I really like the stealth capabilities of the pax, but I would not like to have a $250 (mini)brick...

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
overvaped,

JoeKickass

I've only been playing with my solo for a few weeks but it's basically the exact opposite of the pax. I still love my pax for the thick ass vapor and ability to blow you away no matter what your tolerance is, but if you are trying to conserve or really value flavor the pax will leave you a bit wanting, whereas the solo has those qualities in spades. But the downside is if you smoke or have a tolerance you will have to wait for it to drop to really enjoy the solo (I'm still not there lol), whereas the pax will satisfy you no matter what you ask of it!

tl/dr: It's impossible to pick a best vaporizer, you need to try them all :freak:

Last edited:
JoeKickass,

paxfan

when you have trouble drawing, poke the bottom peace a little with your finger, thus pulling extra air into the oven. also, two .2g bowls will last much longer than one .4g bowl

paxfan,

Tweek

Hi everyone,
maybe you are so kind to help me. I live in Europe, so they won't send men a Pax...however, I can ask a friend for a favour and have it sent through him.

The thing is if I have problems with the unit I may have problems, and extra costs, if I need to send it in.
I have not read this thread in ful, so I might be wrong, but I have the impression that it is quite common to have problems with the pax.

So, my question .... is it likely to have problems with the pax? I know it is not easy to answer, so I give two basic options:
  1. as likely as with any other product, go ahead
  2. more like than other products, wait for an UE distributor
I really like the stealth capabilities of the pax, but I would not like to have a $250 (mini)brick...

Thank you in advance.

The only problem I have had with my PAX is the common issues around not cleaning it with regularity. It's still one of my main portables for herb, and does the job nicely, but it can be a pain to maintain if you are not swabbing it at least every other day.

So if you hate cleaning, are big on flavour, want top efficiency and don't want a unit that is a bit more smelly than most, then I would say it's not worth the effort. If you don't care about the above, then it's been reliable for me.

You may also want to look into possible adverse effects of charging it up with a converter.

Ludicrocity

when you have trouble drawing, poke the bottom peace a little with your finger, thus pulling extra air into the oven. also, two .2g bowls will last much longer than one .4g bowl

Does it still vape evenly through the oven when you're tilting the bottom piece whilst drawing?

You packing in tight or are you filing the whole bowl loosely with the .2g?

The only problem I have had with my PAX is the common issues around not cleaning it with regularity. It's still one of my main portables for herb, and does the job nicely, but it can be a pain to maintain if you are not swabbing it at least every other day.

So if you hate cleaning, are big on flavour, want top efficiency and don't want a unit that is a bit more smelly than most, then I would say it's not worth the effort. If you don't care about the above, then it's been reliable for me.

You may also want to look into possible adverse effects of charging it up with a converter.

20mins to clean thoroughtly and lubricate every couple of days doesn't seem that much of a inconvenience to me, considering the benefits this unit provides. . . . does nobody remember cleaning out gunged up pipes? I think a little rittulistism is a good thing for something so revered ;)

Tweek, you also state that one hould look into the possible adverse affects of charging it up with a converter. . . . . I thought Pax said that anywhere between 9 and 18 volts would charge adequately. Please advise on this if I have this wrong, much appreciated.

Ludi

Last edited:
Ludicrocity,

Bmart

Can someone please recommend some wipes comparable to the sterile wipes the pax comes with? I prefer wipes over Iso for the convenience factor...

Bmart,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
I found a 100 count box of 70% ISO wipes at my local grocery store for about four bucks. They work well. I just took them with me on a trip to clean everything before flying back home. Two wipes worked like a charm.

Deadshort480,

overvaped

Vapor evangelist

Thank you for your answer, Tweek. I had forgotten about the 110/220v issue. In their web they say you can not know if your power adapter will work with 220v.
So I have made some research about the charging kit and have found this useful post by JoeKickass. I'm pretty sure I have some 9-18v PA's around, and the plug is standard, so, I think that won't be a problem if I finally pull the trigger

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pax-vaporizer-by-ploom.6223/page-382#post-438169

About you comments on the model, I guess the size overcomes the other issues for me. I would use it only on the go...

BTW, any accessory/replacement I should buy? I was thinking aabout MP lubricant set...

overvaped,
Reactions: Tweek

Tweek

No prob @overvaped. Since you are so far away, I would probably grab an extra screen or two, as they are pretty small. I still have my original screen, but have had a few moments where I dropped it and it took awhile to find where it went.

As to the lubricant, I think I saw somewhere in this thread, talk about over the counter options. You may want to look into that, for a cheaper alternative in the long run. For cleaning, pipe cleaners dipped in ISO are awesome...are these easy to find in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom