Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Paces

Also 2 Paces, I do NOT recommend using pliers to pull on the mouthpiece only from personal experience have I seen that this does not work. The reason it is stuck is because the sliding ring on the MP is stuck in/ not moving freely enough to release the mouthpiece. This is why dropping a little bit of ISO in the area SHOULD release the MP.

Fair enough. I was merely suggesting that he use that to get a better grip. As I said, there should be nothing holding it in place if it is in the up position. I have heard of some people who could not get the mouthpiece off with their fingernail, but just needed to get a better grip on it. That's why I made sure to say not to force it.

But I do not see how the metal ring could be the culprit in this case. If the mouthpiece is in the 'up' position, the ring would be far away from any other internals that could catch on it. The ring is used to hold the mouthpiece in the down position. If the ring gets stuck, the mouthpiece doesn't pop up at all. I have had the ring cause the mouthpiece to get stuck in the down position. It was a flaw with the original mouthpiece ring design.

Take a look at your Pax when it is in open position, then look at your mouthpiece. In the open position that ring isn't in contact with anything. It just isn't far enough down the stem.

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
Fair enough. I was merely suggesting that he use that to get a better grip. As I said, there should be nothing holding it in place if it is in the up position. I have heard of some people who could not get the mouthpiece off with their fingernail, but just needed to get a better grip on it. That's why I made sure to say not to force it.

But I do not see how the metal ring could be the culprit in this case. If the mouthpiece is in the 'up' position, the ring would be far away from any other internals that could catch on it. The ring is used to hold the mouthpiece in the down position. If the ring gets stuck, the mouthpiece doesn't pop up at all. I have had the ring cause the mouthpiece to get stuck in the down position. It was a flaw with the original mouthpiece ring design.

Take a look at your Pax when it is in open position, then look at your mouthpiece. In the open position that ring isn't in contact with anything. It just isn't far enough down the stem.

If it is in the up position, then my post is irrelevant to the situation and I am not sure how or what caused it to be stuck in the up position.. I know this will sound stupid but my friends can't seem to figure out how to get the MP off of my Pax, then I tell them about the fingernail slot on the side for the grip assistance..

Does that help?

ILoveCollege,

Bmart

While this might not be the way other people will tell you to do this, I have found putting a drop or two of ISO around the edge, not too much and you have to be careful not to get the ISO near the temperature button (tilting the Pax is the easiest way to make sure this doesn't happen) and then keep clicking the mouthpiece until you work the ISO into the tube area and it releases the mouthpiece.

Also 2 Paces, I do NOT recommend using pliers to pull on the mouthpiece only from personal experience have I seen that this does not work. The reason it is stuck is because the sliding ring on the MP is stuck in/ not moving freely enough to release the mouthpiece. This is why dropping a little bit of ISO in the area SHOULD release the MP.

Also as a heads up, have some q-tips or some type of cloth handy to absorb the excess ISO that you will have left over after the MP pops out.
Thanks ill try this tonight. Should I use a q tip to apply the ISO around the edge?

Bmart,

Bmart

Update - the MP just popped off on its own after removing the unit from the box. After applying some lube and using the info regarding the two clicks when retracting, the MP appears to be operating well now:) Thanks for the assistance fellas.:tup:

Bmart,
Reactions: 2 Paces

Ludicrocity

Hey guys, what a great thread.

I',ve just had my Pax a few days now and really getting to know its capabilities and its versatility, absolutely blown away with the vape from this tiny device. . . . . .BUT, and its a bit but, I'm very disappointed by the limited time the battery gives with limited means of charging, ie. mains electricity. Some times if I'm not wanting to get too high I'll keep it on low and have puffs from time to time over 3-4 hours and I can run the battery down on just the one oven full. If I go out for an entire day, never mind overnight, there's no way this device is going to last any where near long enough for my needs. Its a shame there isn't a battery compartment where the user could simply replace rechargeable batteries, I guess this will inevitably become a feature in future models. A bit like my ecigs, replaceable batteries. Then, this would truly be the ultimate reliable portable vaping device. As it stands, I would need 3 minimum to be able to use it as a reliable device I can take out for some length time.

Its my only gripe though, I absolutely love it, I don't miss burning my herbs at all.

What I need is a portable charging device, I've seen solar and that wont suit my needs, UK weather being crappy a lot of the time, and also I'd want it to be charging whilst I'm on the move, hiking etc.

I've heard of portable charging packs that are battery powered, I'm sure, but I can't find anything like them here in the UK, can anyone help with a solution here. I'm thinking it could be in a small backpack, the Pax taped onto the docking station.

I know the spec for the charger is 9v 1.3A (11.7watts), but Ploom say that anything between 9 and 18 volts will do it, would rechargeable PPs 9v batteries wired in series do the job, or is there a known solution to my needs. As you may gather, I know nothing of these matters, but I can't be the only one with this problem. I've tried reading much of this thread, but man its long and I've had no luck finding any relevant info so far.

Also, any ideas for the best thing to use to attach my Pax to a water pipe bong?

Thanks, Ludicrocity :)

Last edited:
Ludicrocity,

Ludicrocity

Lol, nice one BTBAM, Yeah that'd help, but its the way I like to vape sometimes, little and often, I was the same on spliffs. You're right, but its just not the right answer for me ;).

Pax does make a car charger which keeps mine going all day but I'm not sure if that is suitable for your needs!!

Yeah I have a car cig lighter socket charger that's adjustable voltage so no problem hooking one up to a car, but mostly I'm thinking of being out and about on foot around the city or out in the countryside fishing or hiking away from vehicles and electricity supplies.

There must be a way, if nobody can help here, I'll pursue it til I find some suitable answer and get back to you all, by which time of course, Ploom will have fitted removable batteries ;)

Does anybody agree with me, that this needs addressing somehow. There must be a way of portable charging that isn't overly heavy.

Ludi

Ludicrocity,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Wait, you are leaving your Pax on for 3 hours? If that's true, then I'm amazed that it lasts that long. I've occasionally used my Pax on and off during an entire day and still had battery life at the end of the day. It was in the red, but not dead. Maybe there is an issue with your unit?

Deadshort480,
Reactions: JoeKickass

Ludicrocity

I assumed he meant he kept the temp on low, and turned the unit on and off when he wanted hits over the course of 3-4 hours.

That would probably be about right for battery life (not sure, I don't use low temp).

Yes that's right mate. I use low power if I'm busy and want to keep a clear (ish) head. If i use medium or high power, which would be desirable, then the battery time decreases of course.

There must be a way of carrying some sort of pack that will charge the Pax. I have a mate over on Friday who's good with all things electric, I'll see what he can come up with. ;)

BTBAM

Well there are a lot of portable usb battery packs out there now, such as this:
http://www.amazon.com/External-Batt...d=1379000132&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+battery+pack

And to complete the solution, I have seen people link this earlier in this thread, but I do not have one so I can't say for sure whether it works or not, BUT, it looks like it should work to connect this from your charging dock to a portable usb pack:
http://www.amazon.com/HDE®-3-5mm-Ba...UTF8&colid=DDPC6VLLPTZQ&coliid=I3MZWNI35QM3PU

BTBAM,

Ludicrocity

Lol, nice one BTBAM, Yeah that'd help, but its the way I like to vape sometimes, little and often, I was the same on spliffs. You're right, but its just not the right answer for me ;).

Pax does make a car charger which keeps mine going all day but I'm not sure if that is suitable for your needs!!

Yeah I have a car cig lighter socket charger that's adjustable voltage so no problem hooking one up to a car, but mostly I'm thinking of being out and about on foot around the city or out in the countryside fishing or hiking away from vehicles and electricity supplies.

There must be a way, if nobody can help here, I'll pursue it til I find some suitable answer and get back to you all, by which time of course, Ploom will have fitted removable batteries ;)

Does anybody agree with me, that this needs addressing somehow. There must be a way of portable charging that isn't overly heavy.

Ludi

Ludicrocity,

dankmatter

Hi all.

I have been reading a lot of posts regarding the Pax on this forum and I appreciate the insights--especially on cleaning it---here is a great video on youtube on how to clean your Pax by the Vape Critic.

I have finally decided to register and post on the forum because I am in a debacle with my Pax. I purchased my brand new pax in January '13 from an eBay seller because they had the best price-$219.99 shipped; The eBay listing advertised a brand new pax with a 10 year warranty from the manufacturer.

I have used my Pax happily for 8 months without many hiccups that I could not solve by searching this forum.

Last week I used the device until battery drained completely (I forgot to bring my charger on a car trip). The battery was drained for two days before I got home and put it on the charger. When I did, the indicator light did not light up---it is just blank---no indicator light at all.

So I searched this forum and tried to put it on its side to charge, leave it on the charger for a long time to trickle charge, and flipped it 180 and see if that worked. Nothing worked.

I contacted Pax customer support and was informed through the verification of my serial number and receipt that my Pax's warranty has been voided because I did not purchase it through an authorized retailer.

I have also attempted to contact the eBay user I purchased the device from in January but the user is not registered on eBay anymore but their email address is associated with another user id. I am unable to get the new user id that is associated with the email address because I have not completed a transaction on eBay with that user id. I have sent two emails to the email address that I purchased the device from with no response.

I do not normally play the victim card but I am at an impasse here. I am out $220 and I have no vaporizer.

Any help would be appreciated in any form.

Thank you.
Went through the same thing; I feel your pain. My Pax stopped heating up (the heating coil/circuit got fried somehow), and I purchased it on ebay in December 2012. Unfortunately, once you've given them the serial number, you're fucked.

I ended up buying another one because I missed it so much, but now I kind of regret not spending the money on some other vapes I want to try.

Well there are a lot of portable usb battery packs out there now, such as this:
http://www.amazon.com/External-Battery-Pack-Limeade-L130X/dp/B00BZD6QCW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379000132&sr=1-1&keywords=usb battery pack

And to complete the solution, I have seen people link this earlier in this thread, but I do not have one so I can't say for sure whether it works or not, BUT, it looks like it should work to connect this from your charging dock to a portable usb pack:
http://www.amazon.com/HDE®-3-5mm-Barrel-Power-Cable/dp/B003059FAI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=DDPC6VLLPTZQ&coliid=I3MZWNI35QM3PU

Unfortunately, those popular USB battery packs won't work because the max voltage for USB is 5V.

Something like http://amzn.com/B009YR00L4 might be closer to what you (Ludicrocity) need, though you probably want to find something smaller. Or perhaps your friend can figure out how convert the output of some other battery pack (e.g. cordless drill battery) to match the charging specs for the Pax.

dankmatter,

Bmart

Went through the same thing; I feel your pain. My Pax stopped heating up (the heating coil/circuit got fried somehow), and I purchased it on ebay in December 2012. Unfortunately, once you've given them the serial number, you're fucked.

I ended up buying another one because I missed it so much, but now I kind of regret not spending the money on some other vapes I want to try.

Unfortunately, those popular USB battery packs won't work because the max voltage for USB is 5V.

Something like http://amzn.com/B009YR00L4 might be closer to what you (Ludicrocity) need, though you probably want to find something smaller. Or perhaps your friend can figure out how convert the output of some other battery pack (e.g. cordless drill battery) to match the charging specs for the Pax.
Is there a beneficial alternative to not giving ploom the serial #? I ask mainly because I just got mine from fleabay as well (although there's nothing wrong with mine as of now).

Bmart,

dankmatter

Is there a beneficial alternative to not giving ploom the serial #? I ask mainly because I just got mine from fleabay as well (although there's nothing wrong with mine as of now).
If you tell them you got it from ebay and give them the serial, that unit gets blacklisted.

dankmatter,

Bmart

If you tell them you got it from ebay and give them the serial, that unit gets blacklisted.
Understood, but will they honor the warranty if you give them the serial # and tell them you got it from say, vapeworld, or if you buy it from ebay are you just fucked?

Bmart,

paxxed

Is the Pax recharging dock dual voltage? ie, will it work in Australia?
yea you just need an adapter.
and treat your pax kindly if your in aus. i am as well and mine stopped working after 2 months of use and i cant get a refund/warranty since im in aus :(

paxxed,

sz1a

Retailer
jjs45z.jpg

I just received this from vaporizer.name. Seems to be original? Anyways I'm now another happy owner of PAX! It took a few tries to get the vapor right but medium temp, 10 second draw, well dried and ground weed seemed to do the trick!

sz1a,

Ludicrocity

Hey mate, I said for hiking and walking about, I'm not going to be taking a 300w car jump starter with me, assume you were joking.

However, this may do the trick, If you read the reviews it says it has an 9v and 12v dc outlet

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0063AAIRG

quote "
2 USB slots can charge up to 2A (@5V). USB Slot I is for Apple devices, USB Slot S is for Samsung (read Android) devices. Both slots work for any USB device I have tried that is 5V.
This also has a DC out slot that is switchable between 9V & 12V."

Anyone know of any reason this wouldn't work a treat for charging the pax. I believe it will charge an iphone 4.6 times from one fully charged power pack, I don't know how that would equate to the 9v battery in the pax.

What do you think guys? ;-)

Ludicrocity,

dankmatter

Hey mate, I said for hiking and walking about, I'm not going to be taking a 300w car jump starter with me, assume you were joking.

However, this may do the trick, If you read the reviews it says it has an 9v and 12v dc outlet

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0063AAIRG

quote "
2 USB slots can charge up to 2A (@5V). USB Slot I is for Apple devices, USB Slot S is for Samsung (read Android) devices. Both slots work for any USB device I have tried that is 5V.
This also has a DC out slot that is switchable between 9V & 12V."

Anyone know of any reason this wouldn't work a treat for charging the pax. I believe it will charge an iphone 4.6 times from one fully charged power pack, I don't know how that would equate to the 9v battery in the pax.

What do you think guys? ;-)
Looks like only the older version had the 9V/12V out.

I actually wasn't joking, but I also wasn't suggesting you get that exact model. It just seems difficult to find pocket-sized battery packs with enough voltage (as most are designed to recharge phones/tablets).

dankmatter,

Bmart

Please help - last night while baked I hastily made one of those paperclip tools discussed in this thread and placed it underneath the MP. Now the MP is stuck in the retracted position and I'm super pissed off:cuss:

Got it out with a plier type of tool - no more rigged paperclips under the MP.

Last edited:
Bmart,

Ludicrocity

Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision please take it up in private with a staff member.
well i got banned (unjust ill prove it below)
First (i was responding to francis when i was baned and then attacked so im repying only (answering attacks, with answers)
Francis
well the fact its not thermally or short circuit protected on board as well as the wires coming off the batter are not high temp nor sleeved in fiberglass sleeve to prevent short.
makes me think unsafe design of battery connection and type (i would have used lefe not li ion nor li po)
if it just had the sleave over wire i wouldnt be as concerned. but all combied
see the thing about these batteries or any round cell 99% of them is the top button or lid is the hot and the entire shell is the - or vice versa
IE its easy to short them out and go POOF.. (i take these cells apart for custom batter work and taking them apart every time you nible metal away you get more and more ready to dump the cell in mineral oil and run like forest.
in pax case if the positve wire or metal strip (pax has) overheats or rubs the insulation away or get crimped (can) its a dead short a thermal protection or short protection would prevent that from being a fireball.
the red battery shown has its thermal at the negitive so it would need the fiberglass wire sleave to be smart. (im going to do show that in my video, the wrong and making it right before after)
when i leave home i put any lithium batteries (all i have) in a fire safe to ensure incase something happens while im gone the unprotected and even protected batteries are extra protected.
these cells are like loaded guns and these companies are like momkies picking them up
Can you tel i work with power and batteries and have seen the bad, that showed me to not screw around and take the precatuions cause you wont like that one messup..
if you drop your pax hard im sure it could slam to the oven and stay there and cook until it does something bad will happen its matter of time not if
great circuit desing bit over kill but then so overlook battery
Typical as i said most dont understand these high power cells.
(i have been around scary large cells and battrey banks you dont want them going poof ever so those extra precautions carry over to this
sorry mixing allot of expericnace i have into one blurb..
im a geek dont have time for spell check i can bairly type it before my mind has moved on..

Now Vtac wrote 2 things.
first.
i dont have a comercial interest here. (i have had that site name for 3 years and had it parked until this past month cause the thermovape is coming out that is where i was heading in what i wanted to sell
and my company may be crap (as one said) but i dont advertise and my customers know i dont sell crap i sel the mercedes (saftey) of my industry and if you buy from me any dist will warranty it.
this and keeps changing it.
I do ask for a copy of that email in its intiratiy be posted as the below statement is a lie.
(the part number on the battery does not come back to a Thermaly protected bat and there charge and saftey is on the PCB not at the battery where it should be.
watch my videos i posted here and you will understand.
Aswell im making a lithium saftey video for all products.
and if the battery gets to hot while charging the pax will continue to charge a cell phone battery will even stop and fail out (its thermal and short protected
so vtac said.
Here's what Ploom has to say on the matter:

Safety is extremely important to Ploom. The battery used in Pax includes industry-standard inbuilt protection circuitry. Beyond that, the controlling electronics and firmware are specifically engineered to include multiple additional redundancies and fail safes to prevent battery failure modes and ensuring the device will not operate in any possible errant state. Pax has undergone thousands of hours of testing, including destructive testing, extensive failure mode analysis and constant product lifecycle testing to ensure that every unit meets our rigid quality standards.​
theres a few more attacks im skipping.
the oven yes you can make it like the photo and it will still work the same (thats commone sense ifyour not changing most of the heat plate and air still passes it will work. (you should be popping your material out and back in after a quick stir)
JOEKICKASS, your just wrong in saying
Yeah the Pax charging circuit is integrated into the single circuit board, that makes sense since it makes the battery shorter and the device more compact.
The circuit is as reliable as any other protection circuit (including those on the batteries themselves) and the low voltage cutoff is 3.7v so the battery is treated really very gently imo
Vitolo
i can see why you say that but not correct.
heres what you say in italic my responce in bold non itialic
1- and 2- are opposite statements. It is either opinion OR fact ("based" on fact means you took poetic license)
3- I agree....... anyone that does not love me is shady too!
4-I saw this warranty disclaimer well over 6 months ago, so if it changed it was not recent... AND it is a change for the common good, and makes perfect sense.
Warranty work requires a paper trail... so that distribution of issues and problematic units can be tracked and altered. Ebay/Craigslist are no more reputable or trackable then saying "I bought it at Joe's house"... or "I got it in the alley from a guy in a van". Selling the number of units that Ploom now does, I feel they have done the right thing... to protect themselves and us.
1,2 are not because im going to give my opinion based on Science fact. (we all have an interpritation) so maybe wrong wroding.
3. WTF.. i say valid points you bring BS.
4. WHAAATTT>. pax is one of the few products in the world to pull that kind of warranty crap. .
i love when people that dont understand what there talking about spits out BS> it just shows how ignorant conumsers are today.
if you made a goood product it doesnt matter who sells it.
hek bestbuy will sell geek sqaud protection for your iphone nomatter where you bought it. (that kinda says something since its an apple product and they are 3rd party)
in short pax is protecting there profit margin nothing more. if you think its for you your sadly mistaken.
i talked to a store in CA the other day and they wont be carrying pax any more cause plooms every changing crap fest of warranty issues.
and a customer tried warrantying one out and they asked what he consumed and nicked his warranty based on that But they dont say what or what you cant use for warranty.
in my opinion that warranty is about as good as bread sitting out if you use soon maybe it will go threw later i bet in 5 years none get warratied out they will blame the battery LOL (that part is purely my opinon )
in short i dont care what you think of me or what i say if you dont like it so be it.
all i can do is deliver the facts if they are ignored im glad your not a customer of mine (that is to the guy that said my company is crap. LMFAO> Im a Tech Geek that designs circuits.
and at this point i can say im pretty sure the thermovap is going to be the leader.
its ceramic based (YA CMH) i love ceramic material. and they spec a thermal protected battery and it comes out (that means if bat goes bad and out in about just pop that sucker out. and since it is Ceramic if the battery where to go bad the ceramic is a insulater and strong so it might protect area longer etc.
and its heated air not a oven. (i didnt relize the top of the oven on the pax got hot i Truelly thoght from the videos it was just a ring around the heater near the opening that heated the air. but alas i was wrong. (pax is a material waster) it even burns pure clove unlike some others out there. (i consume legit herbs an x smoker wanting something and lungs where cut up in surgury recently.
i think the consumer protection agency will take care of pax on there own.
aswell as anyone who happens to have a fire or loss of life (loss of life is what im trully trying to protect
take a look at exploding iphone they use a intergrated charging circuit in the phons pcb not on the battery pouch and what happens.. (i only see pack expansion when the temp of the pack is not checked or charging to much while hot. (yes some other cell packs dont alter there amps there pushing deping on temp but they do cut off for safty at temps during charge. _
in short any good lithium battery system has thermal protection (look at my 10 year old laptop battey packs that use the same battery as the pax (age has no bearing on need of thermal protection if any thing now days batteris need it more as there is more enegery densitiy IE todays battery can be the same 18650 size but we can get more juice in recent one vs old in short. (not age but chem consturection
again my spelling is off. IDK>

Best regard.
Tlordon
PS if im going to be banned again please discuss it with me as i feel if you understood why and what i was saying i wouldnt have been in the first place.

mod note: If you understood the rules you broke maybe you wouldn't have broken them in the first place. It's your job to conform to the rules, not the other way around.

I think you've been a bit harsh on this guy. I don't see how he was doing anything wrong. If what he states is untrue, come back with the truth, don't give him a pathetic 3 day ban for airing his concerns, which he clearly genuinely has some. I also agree the warranty is a big con, being in the UK my warranty is worthless.

However, I f*cking love the pax. I'm looking for charging/battery mods to make this unit more useable for more sustainable lengths of time. I wanna make sure if I replace the battery I'll be looking for something with protection. I'm interested in Welderboy's battery discovery, but does the longer lasting Panasonic have the safety spec. Also wondering, with the correct connectors, whether these batteries could be replaced on the hoof so to speak.

Ludi

Ludicrocity,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
Just checking in to say that the Pax has been my only vape since it was released last summer and I love it. Yeah the flavor is not the best but I don't really vaporize for flavor. The hits are heavy and I take it anywhere I please.My Pax has never left me stranded although my original unit was sent in because the temp button got stuck due to alcohol application.

My Pax has battle scars from mishandling but it doesn't skip a beat. It will retire from go-to status when my Cloud Evo arrives but It is the best portable I have tried and will always be in my pocket when I'm out and about.

tranceporter,

JoeKickass

Please help - last night while baked I hastily made one of those paperclip tools discussed in this thread and placed it underneath the MP. Now the MP is stuck in the retracted position and I'm super pissed off:cuss:

Got it out with a plier type of tool - no more rigged paperclips under the MP.
Yeah this happens if the paperclip is bent weird sometimes, just tap (or bang) on the sides to knock the paperclip loose then try opening if you try again lol

JoeKickass,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom