Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapedUp

just wanted to chime in again with my experience using pax. i think i bought it last october? can't remember, but i've had it for a while and use it every day. pax is still going strong. i have zero issues. i ran out of the pipe cleaners a while ago so haven't been able to clean like that. I pretty much use a hanger and pop the screen out, clean the bowl and screen with rubbing alcohol and qtip while warm, clean the mouth pc with a qtip and iso. i try to clean once a week, but sometimes go two weeks. Any time i have the temp light issue, i dip a qtip in iso, and stick the qtip in the id of the mouth pc.

all in all, my pax works perfect and i still love it.

Curiousone

Curiousone,

Zachary Goodwin

Was mentioned before, but if you have a local Harbor Freight, you can buy the same brushes there for the same money...save you from having to order online.
Guys I was the one who ordered the pax oil piece, well I received it and never used it, I was introduced to wax on this past Friday and it changed my life brothers. I am done with flowers so I said to myself, there's no reason for a Pax let alone 2 units. So I set out Friday night to sell the whole kit and kaboodle which is my cleaning accessories instructions oil attachment instructions on cleaning 2 units all pieces plus original boxes in clean great condition!!! My goal was a 16 GB iPad mini. Less than 24 hours later I had achieved my goal, well actually exceeded it, I got the 32 GB Black iPad mini brand new at Best Buy. Maybe one day I will be back to flowers, but I do not see it anytime soon fellas...

Cheers Guys, Happy Plooming!!!!

Zachary Goodwin,
Reactions: TommydCat

JoeKickass

Just remember wax & oil hit hard but as your tolerance goes up you take more and more, and your lungs can only absorb so much.

I got to the point where I could feel the hits in my lungs, and turning to flower for a bit felt really nice and cleansing!

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Guys I was the one who ordered the pax oil piece, well I received it and never used it, I was introduced to wax on this past Friday and it changed my life brothers. I am done with flowers so I said to myself, there's no reason for a Pax let alone 2 units. So I set out Friday night to sell the whole kit and kaboodle which is my cleaning accessories instructions oil attachment instructions on cleaning 2 units all pieces plus original boxes in clean great condition!!! My goal was a 16 GB iPad mini. Less than 24 hours later I had achieved my goal, well actually exceeded it, I got the 32 GB Black iPad mini brand new at Best Buy. Maybe one day I will be back to flowers, but I do not see it anytime soon fellas...

DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS ON THE WAY OUT TRAITOR! :lol: Errl is sick, but I think you'll find a few drawbacks after a few months of constant use. I dont smoke it any more, and its so easy to make a bad batch if you dont know how to properly purge ( a lot of people around here have no fucking clue, I watched someone use unfiltered butane and a pill bottle to extract, grossest shit I have ever seen, I was scared to watch the dude smoke it :lol:) I started getting the shakes really bad from smoking it so I stopped. Apparently this can happen with too much thc in your system. You sold two pax's? You shoulda kept one fool! :D

Mr.Krinkle,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
The screen popped out one time when I was dumping the oven.

Last week, just moments after leaving the office, and after a brief power session, I dumped my Pax before hopping in a taxi, only to hear the metal thud on the pavement. Yes, a brand new screen, gone. I remember before I posted about dumping your oven load cautiously, and I failed to take my own advice. I think I'm down to 3, maybe 4 screens now. Definitely was a sad moment when we pulled off and I knew the screen would have to suffer in the cold, forever.

Live-N-Learn,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
Good thing Pax support chat is down today. I looked at my pax and did an hours cleaning on it, took my time and meticulously cleaned everything. Solved both the temp light and stuck mouth piece problem. I should really look into an oil. For a quick fix how do people think about olive oil, will it withstand heat? Hold up over time? What about some other type of lube? wd40? I'm just trying to get creative over here

ILoveCollege,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Last week, just moments after leaving the office, and after a brief power session, I dumped my Pax before hopping in a taxi, only to hear the metal thud on the pavement. Yes, a brand new screen, gone. I remember before I posted about dumping your oven load cautiously, and I failed to take my own advice. I think I'm down to 3, maybe 4 screens now. Definitely was a sad moment when we pulled off and I knew the screen would have to suffer in the cold, forever.

Well, you know what they say, live and lear- oh. Nevermind, you know.

CentiZen,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Well, you know what they say, live and lear- oh. Nevermind, you know.

It was too late to be concerned... :)

Good thing Pax support chat is down today. I looked at my pax and did an hours cleaning on it, took my time and meticulously cleaned everything. Solved both the temp light and stuck mouth piece problem. I should really look into an oil. For a quick fix how do people think about olive oil, will it withstand heat? Hold up over time?

I havent had the temp light problem in months. I use the pipe cleaner w/91% iso, outside the vapor tube, inside the vapor tube, and MP. And the Q-tip for the edge of the vapor tube, and MP. Magic Eraser does the oven oh so squeaky clean.

Live-N-Learn,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
:)
I havent had the temp light problem in months. I use the pipe cleaner w/91% iso, outside the vapor tube, inside the vapor tube, and MP. And the Q-tip for the edge of the vapor tube, and MP. Magic Eraser does the oven oh so squeaky clean.

I've always advocated that a clean pax is a happy pax, that being said I had cleaned everything like I normally do, haven't had a problem in the 5 months that I see been a pax owner, finally started to have things slow down, and a stuck mouthpiece and a temp light issue, I thought it was time to call in a replacement.

Now I have my strong healthy pax back

ILoveCollege,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
I've always advocated that a clean pax is a happy pax, that being said I had cleaned everything like I normally do, haven't had a problem in the 5 months that I see been a pax owner, finally started to have things slow down, and a stuck mouthpiece and a temp light issue, I thought it was time to call in a replacement.

Now I have my strong healthy pax back

I couldnt go without my Pax like before, the wait (less then a week) was too much. To each his own though.

Live-N-Learn,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
going out on a limb here, you may politely tell Ploom your issue, and who knows, maybe they'll send you a free pack of screens. They're only ten bucks, it seems like they are generous with spare parts, it gives them great free advertising.
I should really look into an oil. For a quick fix how do people think about olive oil, will it withstand heat? Hold up over time? What about some other type of lube? wd40? I'm just trying to get creative over here
Jeepers Crow! I hope you're kidding. Don't fucking use a thing besides the lube they sell (propylene glycol) Have you ever seen what oil does after it has sat in open air? Its going to be worse than using nothing at all, and I'm not even going to tell you why you shouldn't smoke out of something lubricated with wd-40.:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh: I mean... HOLY FUCK!!!!:freak:

Mr.Krinkle,

MolecularConcept

I just bought 1fl oz of propylene glycol on eBay less than5 bucks with free shipping I won't Need any more for a while.. why would anyone use anything else ?

MolecularConcept,

TommydCat

EDIT: confusion.. but wow.. thread damage

Any local pickup sources for PG? Would a local drug store carry this?

TommydCat,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
I hope you're kidding. Don't fucking use a thing besides the lube they sell (propylene glycol) Have you ever seen what oil does after it has sat in open air? Its going to be worse than using nothing at all, and I'm not even going to tell you why you shouldn't smoke out of something lubricated with wd-40.:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh: I mean... HOLY FUCK!!!!:freak:

Yeah that was sarcastic.. Sorry if it didn't come off that way.. Text makes it really hard to show sarcasm.

/EndThreadDamage please continue on

ILoveCollege,

welderboy

its 4:20 somewhere.....
I got 4oz. of USD food grade vegetable glycerin for a couple bucks on eBay. I won't use that much in a lifetime. It's sweet like kayo corn syrup. One light application will keep the pax slick for about two weeks. No more temp light issue !!!

welderboy,

Nuggeteer

that battery in the link is too big (69mm) for the pax. you can use an unprotected battery, because the pax has it's own internal cutoff. you have to watch the battery size (65 mm-66mm). some protected batteries are longer, because of the chip (like yours).

Ok, so i went ahead and bought an unprotected NCR18650B battery with tabs on ebay for $16. I then opened the pax with a t-4 torx screwdriver, took out my wire snippers, cut the pax where the wire meets the battery's tab x2, I then just soldered the new battery in on each wire, making sure to keep the solder weld flat on the tab (no huge balls of solder).

I then carefully closed the pax, making sure to replace the two magnets that hold the oven cover on, and the led plastic cover also. Open pax bottom down, and close bottom up. This is to keep the little O-rings near the oven from twisting more than needed, and thus breaking.

After two charges with my new battery installed i've noticed an increase of about 30-40% in vaping time before the pax goes to blinking red.

From start on medium to green light is now under 45 seconds, down from around 60 seconds.

Charging time is about the same at 2 hours.

The new battery's power increase is pretty much what i expected from this battery because its new as of 2012, rated at 3400mah and made by panasonic - while the pax's stock battery is 2600mah and generic, so it is probably putting even out less than that (maybe around 2200mah - idk).

I'm calling this a huge success and if i ever need to, i know i can put the old battery back in place. I would however probably not recommend swapping batteries out of your pax - that is unless you have experience with both handling electronics and soldering.

toros23

Ok, so i went ahead and bought an unprotected NCR18650B battery with tabs on ebay for $16. I then opened the pax with a t-4 torx screwdriver, took out my wire snippers, cut the pax where the wire meets the battery's tab x2, I then just soldered the new battery in on each wire, making sure to keep the solder weld flat on the tab (no huge balls of solder).

I then carefully closed the pax, making sure to replace the two magnets that hold the oven cover on, and the led plastic cover also. Open pax bottom down, and close bottom up. This is to keep the little O-rings near the oven from twisting more than needed, and thus breaking.

After two charges with my new battery installed i've noticed an increase of about 30-40% in vaping time before the pax goes to blinking red.

From start on medium to green light is now under 45 seconds, down from around 60 seconds.

Charging time is about the same at 2 hours.

The new battery's power increase is pretty much what i expected from this battery because its new as of 2012, rated at 3400mah and made by panasonic - while the pax's stock battery is 2600mah and generic, so it is probably putting even out less than that (maybe around 2200mah - idk).

I'm calling this a huge success and if i ever need to, i know i can put the old battery back in place. I would however probably not recommend swapping batteries out of your pax - that is unless you have experience with both handling electronics and soldering.​

Nuggeteer - Thanks for pointing me to the eBay seller via PM. I contacted the seller and he started a new listing for the unprotected 3400's with the tabs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230953295423

I don't plan to do this right away but battery degradation is not covered in the warranty so this will be an insurance policy.

toros23,

Jesse

So - what's the best (cheapest) place to buy the Pax today? I saw a buy-it-now on Ebay for $219 with free shipping, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea, since Ploom is telling people to return it to where they bought it when there are problems. Secondly, I read but now can't find it, that they slightly modded the mouthpiece. Is that true, and if so, what should I be looking for to see the difference?

Jesse,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Yeah, I remember your battery issues. I am not talking about replacing a new Pax with bad batteries or whatever was wrong with your Pax.
:lol: you obviously dont understand how a ten year warranty works then.
So - what's the best (cheapest) place to buy the Pax today? I saw a buy-it-now on Ebay for $219 with free shipping, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea, since Ploom is telling people to return it to where they bought it when there are problems. Secondly, I read but now can't find it, that they slightly modded the mouthpiece. Is that true, and if so, what should I be looking for to see the difference?
I'd say if you have any local head shops go there, you can haggle them and sometimes they have store wide sales, plus when you buy it in person theres no waiting for shipping. (which sucks) I havent seen them less than 250 online. Where you bought your Pax will not matter warranty wise (as long as you didnt get a second hand pax) The mouth piece slider ring was slightly modified, I doubt theres still units being shipped out with the old ones but theres probably some still kicking around at the distributers. You can go on http://vaporpedia.com/wiki/Pax for a lot of info, including the mouthpiece redesign info.

Mr.Krinkle,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom