Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

willieR

Been here since 2009
Interesting. So it's possible they changed something early on in production, or else it's just an odd anomaly.

willieR,

al bundy

Vaporist
Seems the consensus is to pry around the button to release it. I don't believe any changes have been made to prevent this, but the advice is to clean when hot and avoid Iso in that area.

I wonder how Simple Green or another similar product would work for the temp button.? i think theres also an Orange type of Simple Green that is non toxic.
i dont have a Pax yet so i cant try it.

al bundy,

Espo

I wonder how Simple Green or another similar product would work for the temp button.? i think theres also an Orange type of Simple Green that is non toxic.

I don't see a reason to clean near the button...I have not since I owned it and my button is perfectly fine and it is not dirty near the button.

About the oven lid, I don't think anything changed in production, I believe it's an abnormality in the lid some how, it's just a fraction of a mm off somehow. I want to stress the fact that it does not effect the vaporizer in any way, I prefer an easier 'draw' hence why I want mine to act like my friends.

Espo,
Reactions: willieR

JoeKickass

Clean iso would probably work too, but the thing is once you get resin down there it's not coming back unless you open it and clean it.

You could flush the resin away from the switch with iso or simple green but it might wash it onto the electronics...

Like others and myself have said, the button area (and the rest of the Pax too) stays pristinely clean with a simple q-tip so solvent cleaners are just not needed imo

willieR

Been here since 2009
I understand that this issue may be caused by an ever so slight amount of vapor with oils depositing on this switch. Mechanically moving it with a paper clip side to side is supposed to free it. The reason Iso makes this worse may be due to the iso dissolving a tiny bit of air-deposited resin, and when the iso evaporates, the resin becomes a weak glue. The "glue" part my added theory of the overall theory that this is vape resin causing this.

Given the thousands of polymer resin + plasticizer combos that can be used to make "plastic," it's still possible, albeit unlikely, that the iso has a direct effect of some sort on the plastic.

willieR

Been here since 2009
I don't see a reason to clean near the button...I have not since I owned it and my button is perfectly fine and it is not dirty near the button.

About the oven lid, I don't think anything changed in production, I believe it's an abnormality in the lid some how, it's just a fraction of a mm off somehow. I want to stress the fact that it does not effect the vaporizer in any way, I prefer an easier 'draw' hence why I want mine to act like my friends.

I just like the fact that apparently the oven lid can be slightly adjusted while in operation. That's a cool aspect

Drastic

Vape4Life
I don't think the button sticking is from resin saturated iso, but simply the plastic reacting to iso(it makes a white substance that I had to scrape off) I think that bonded it to the PCB(circuit board). Only thing I can think of is because the area does not get dirty they didn't even consider an iso reaction:doh:

As far as the mouthpiece sticking, I do not believe it has anything to do with the clip, ring, or catch. It is because the tolerance(space) between the inner tube and the mouthpiece is too small, when resin gets on the inside of the mouthpiece and is pushed into the unit it cools and sticks giving the stuck mouthpiece.

What happened with tig420's mouthpiece was it wasn't in the release position(the clip wasn't on the ring but still in the lock position) and it broke when he pushed it out.

If you mouthpiece is stuck just push it into the unit all the way to the unlock position(the clip is now on the ring in the grove), then just hook something on the mouthpiece hole on top and gently pull, heating the unit first will help a lot.

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
My mouthpiece stuck last night, scared the fuckcombustion out of me, no matter how much I clicked it or at what tolerance, would not come free. Finally after a bit of hard tapping against my palm and tilting the mouthpiece around and kind of rocking it, came free. Needless to say was quite worried after reading tig's post about it, and the next day it happened with my replacement mouthpiece that was't sticking like my first one. Still love my pax even with quirks. Thank goodness I didn't have to send it in.

kushcabbage,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Happy to report, 2 days of use and no real problems! :tup: Been using a dry q tip on the mouth piece tube, every few loads, and it has stopped "dragging" when it comes up. I just manipulate the cotton on the end so it will fit inside there. Also using dry q tip on the oven, and a dry pipe cleaner on the air path while unit is still warm. I give a good solid blow through the air path when I am done running the pipe cleaner through, a few bits of cotton fiber always come flying out when I do that. Same goes for the mouth piece, I always blow out any thing that may have found its way in the tube. The addition of the silicone tube as a glass connect is working out really well. I just pull the mouth piece when I am ready to charge. I also found it to be quite nice for an extension to the mouthpiece when using it dry.

I did try cutting a screen to fit the oven, and it had a bit of a loose mesh, so a little herb was pulling through. I would say it may take a much finer mesh to work well as a replacement to the mnf. screens. Needless to say it didn't stay in long.

I have been testing out the Med. setting with the Pax on my mobius, and still impressed with the amount of milky vapor being produced! High setting just rips it though!

I really like the Pax!! Don't be surprised if you see my signature shrinking! I think between the Cloud and the Pax (and back up solo/T1) I think have finally satisfied my quest for the right vaping tools for my needs/wants! I hope these machines last a while, I am falling in love!:luv:

JoeKickass

As far as the mouthpiece sticking, I do not believe it has anything to do with the clip, ring, or catch. It is because the tolerance(space) between the inner tube and the mouthpiece is too small, when resin gets on the inside of the mouthpiece and is pushed into the unit it cools and sticks giving the stuck mouthpiece.

Did you miss my post? Here's a tease:

Yeah, I updated that pic: (the flat side is smooth so the right edge stays sharp)

needle_files1.gif

The half-round one specifically... The flat side of the file is smooth so keep it at a / kind of angle and use the edge of the file to grind the left ridge only!
28AJR.jpg

But basically it's the internal hook not catching hard enough on the ring when the ring gets stuck. If it were stuck on the inside (tube to tube) it would be seized and not able to move at all, I've never had that happen... just the occasional click down and it doesn't click up, which is why I did my filing mod.

My mouthpiece stuck last night, scared the fuckcombustion out of me, no matter how much I clicked it or at what tolerance, would not come free. Finally after a bit of hard tapping against my palm and tilting the mouthpiece around and kind of rocking it, came free. Needless to say was quite worried after reading tig's post about it, and the next day it happened with my replacement mouthpiece that was't sticking like my first one. Still love my pax even with quirks. Thank goodness I didn't have to send it in.

Even the new mouthpiece gets stuck? I guess that's more evidence that's it's the ring/catch system and not the diameter of the tube... time to try my mod!
Ok I lied, cleaning the mouthpiece is the only time I like to use iso on the Pax. Drop it in a ziploc, add a little iso, shake and swirl for 30s or so, empty, rinse with water and clean with a paper towel, perfect mouthpiece in under a minute.

Now, I think I might have an interesting project/experiment for the mechanically inclined. Since I did my post on how the mouthpiece catch worked, I've been thinking about how to improve it to avoid sticking, and today I did my first try:
5tIW5.jpg

Can't see it?
oRTjS.jpg

Well, I realized we might not be able to do anything about the ring getting rough or sticky, but we cando something about increasing the grab on the catch that pulls the ring down. So I used a needle file:https://www.google.com/search?q=Needle Files&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS492US492&sugexp=chrome,mod=7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
needle_files1.gif

The half-round one specifically, and I filed the notch to look more like the casing on a bullet. The flat side of the file is smooth so keep it at a / kind of angle and use the edge of the file to grind the left ridge only!
28AJR.jpg

This way the little metal hook inside the body has more of an edge to catch onto and can pull down with more force on the little ring which should reduce sticking and give you a better chance if it does get stuck. I cleaned my mouthpiece right after I did this so it will be a while before I can say for sure, but it does feel and sound like a more solid mechanism though. I do have one of the original serial number mouthpieces and it has got sticky in the past so it should be a good test.

It's already been through many bowls, no cleanings, I can see yellow resin in the tube and mouthpiece, but no sticking yet :tup:

jambandphan03

in flavor country
hmmm. was just sitting here thinking about how the mouth pieces get stuck, most likely from vapor residue that solidifies when the device cools. I have been pulling my mouthpiece out to charge since putting that bit of silicone tubing on the end of it, and have not had any sticking issues. I had noticed that after just a day of use, before I was taking the mouthpiece out to charge, it was starting to feel sticky, and moving slower when I clicked it to pop up. I would not recommend always leaving the mouth piece out, but, maybe while it's cooling down, might make a difference?? Anyone else have any input on this idea?

lots of time today, so here is a slow milk vid for ya's...

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

I ordered from Vape World on i believe Aug. 31st. They ship from south florida and I am in south west florida so that could be why its coming so fast.

What the "F".

I ordered Aug. 27th and I never recieved a shippIng email.

Are you pulling our chains?

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

HSIHP

What the "F".

I ordered Aug. 27th and I never recieved a shippIng email.

Are you pulling our chains?

No chain pulling. I ordered the Purple if that means anything. Also, they still dont have screens or mouthpieces. I ordered each and they told me it would not be with this package.

Edit: Also, what kind of a grind do you guys use for your PAx? I have the launch box so I'm used to grinding small but I also have a SSV and i don't grind that as much as for my box. Would the larger ground make it fill up with less herb but still work well?

HSIHP,
I ordered the purple on the 28th of August and got a shipping email from VW today. Pretty hyped that its going out four days earlier than they had originally estimated! Maybe they got a small shipment of purples?

hawaiiansun,

HSIHP

I ordered the purple on the 28th of August and got a shipping email from VW today. Pretty hyped that its going out four days earlier than they had originally estimated! Maybe they got a small shipment of purples?

Looks that way! I knew purple was the right choice. I don't think I would smoke in a public enough place that would make me choose black over something cool anyway.

HSIHP,
Reactions: Dammit

Dammit

Looks that way! I knew purple was the right choice. I don't think I would smoke in a public enough place that would make me choose black over something cool anyway.
The cobalt and amethyst pax do look great! Stealthier than I thought they would look from what I gathered from the pics when I first bought mine. Onyx looks a little too plain sometimes.

Dammit,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I wanted purple, but really took a liking to the blue pax. I still want a purple one, and have the feeling it will happen some time in my near future. 2 pax is better than 1 :D

I have a blue pax and considering that's my favorite color it was a no brainer except for one thing! I felt the color would draw too much attention however truth be told it really doesn't. In a low light situation it takes on a darker huge and does not stand out. Plus im hopeing Ploom will come out with some silicone gel covers that will come in different colors in the near future.

Latinrascal,

KRnoS

So I been using my Pax for the past 3-4 weeks (since it was launched) and last night I decided to take out my old MFLB and use that again.

Added very little herbs and took 4 hits and was pretty damn high. Higher than what I normally been getting from the Pax (and I get huge vapor clouds from the exhale)..... Seemed weird that I got so medicated from my MFLB. I still love the Pax and everything about it, but if the MFLB can be more economical (for me) then I may have to return to that except when I'm out with friends (cause they're too dumb for the MFLB and love overcooking or not inhaling correctly, etc.)

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
was having quite a bit of trouble just after much success with the new mouthpiece, apparently the pax has a tolerance for mouthpieces.. now the one it came with works perfect, and the new replacement mouthpiece will hardly engage the clip to hold it down. It just keeps coming back up, it's like finding the sweet spot on a new clutch, very sensitive.. Mind you this is the one that was working perfectly because my original was coming up slowly. Hope I don't have to keep switching them back and forth.. Might need some way to label them :rolleyes:

kushcabbage,

JoeKickass

was having quite a bit of trouble just after much success with the new mouthpiece, apparently the pax has a tolerance for mouthpieces.. now the one it came with works perfect, and the new replacement mouthpiece will hardly engage the clip to hold it down. It just keeps coming back up, it's like finding the sweet spot on a new clutch, very sensitive.. Mind you this is the one that was working perfectly because my original was coming up slowly. Hope I don't have to keep switching them back and forth.. Might need some way to label them :rolleyes:

Guys please listen to me. If the new mouthpiece is doing this is just proves what I thought I saw when you first showed me the pics of the new mouthpiece: they're the same size.

Maybe it just worked for a while because it was clean? I'm really wanting someone else to try my filing mod, it's seriously been 100% effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom