Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

SeiM

what up fellow vaporheads; just registered because i finally ordered my Ash PDP kit.

Am very excited to see the new leather choices :o hoping to be able to order an exotic one before mine ships haha

Anyhow, i'm from a tiny town in far northern cali; i've always been a bit of a handyman, actually had a seasonal job in high school woodworking, doing lathe work, and making burl tables, so i have massive appreciation for the craftsmanship of the Purple Days.. that being said, i am stoked to be crafting my own very soon! Big fan of the idea behind the materials and design of the whole PD revolution!

SeiM,

Purple-Days

Welcome to the forum SeiM. A tiny town in Northern Cali? Do you get Jefferson Public Radio?

The other 10 leathers are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I have no idea what we will find, but I am always pleased with the stuff from Brettun's. I will put up some pics on the site when I get the goods. These extra 10 leathers are 2 square foot salesmen samples and should be pretty nice stuff, though I did ask for unusual stuff if Churchill could find anything.

Purple-Days,

hereatlast

Tom you're just making this harder and harder :lol:

I've settled on an Alder unit now, thanks for the quick response Pammy, I'm sure she's used to the flip-flopping by now. Elk hide sounds great but so does bison and horse leather :o I'm gonna keep an eye out for leather updates but I've told myself twice now that I'm done deciding.

Really looking forward to the build :D

hereatlast,

SeiM

Purple-Days said:
Welcome to the forum SeiM. A tiny town in Northern Cali? Do you get Jefferson Public Radio?

The other 10 leathers are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I have no idea what we will find, but I am always pleased with the stuff from Brettun's. I will put up some pics on the site when I get the goods. These extra 10 leathers are 2 square foot salesmen samples and should be pretty nice stuff, though I did ask for unusual stuff if Churchill could find anything.
Thanks Tom :) Yes we get JPR, actually the only decent station around here.. though i admit i haven't listened to the radio in at least a year.. haha

Cant wait to see the PD custom line grow! I am also very interested in the blown glass tubes.. those shown on the site are awesome, but seem to always be sold out.. :/

Anyhow, cheers for answering my Q on the leather.. i think its best if i practice on the elkhide that comes in the kit, and maybe order something more exotic later on... or even another PDP maybe.. :cool:

SeiM,

Purple-Days

I like the Alder. Choice stuff. Elk is nice, I'm using a Fancy Maple with Elk, it's a nice 'blend in' shade. You can always 'skin' the bottom and re-hide it in a couple of years, too.

I listen to JPR ("Rhythm and News') all day in the shop. :D Like you it's about all we get. I get the classical repeater too, but don't listen to it often.

I got a call this morning from our new Laser and Wood man. Made a quick trip to verify some stuff and meet the 'very skilled' wood turner. He wanted to be sure he was doing well and I told him it was better than I can do. Nice round overs, some folks just don't know how to do it... :uhoh: A good guy. Everybody there is. Tom, the owner of the shop, wanted to check laser work with me and this is the kind of 'pride in the work' that I expect. An extra trip was worth it to make sure we saw eye to eye. I'm excited about this relationship.

Please excuse the blast of pics, but these are all 20 Myrtle bodies from the new shop, not hand picked. This will give folks a good idea of the spectrum of Myrtle. Of course these have no finish and have just been sanded, but you get the idea.

1539tt4.jpg

2w1ruc7.jpg
2ed86lx.jpg
eafthk.jpg

2cork8p.jpg
5y7zlu.jpg
259wpic.jpg

r2oio1.jpg
nd7xwi.jpg
10ro7xv.jpg

e7gt8y.jpg
2zg4s34.jpg
34shrq1.jpg

zj9y6r.jpg
6opf9y.jpg
34huas8.jpg

s1t35c.jpg
dbqvrb.jpg
op0cnq.jpg

Hell, I missed two, but you get the idea...
Myrtle is now a house wood, units are bored and inspected, then chosen at random to fill orders.
Please do not request the second unit from the left.

Myrtle gets that yellow and dark streaked look with finish.
34ngned.jpg
:buzz:

Of course these are Kiln Dried woods. That's what we use... :cool:
Kiln Dried means our products require no 'break in period'.

Purple-Days,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Myrtle is pretty damn awesome. Some real choice looking ones in the bunch. I really look forward to sanding down my Pandora and adding buzzbutter when I get it. It will be nice to release the beauty from within.

IAmKrazy2,

panasonic

Purple-Days said:
Hell, I missed two, but you get the idea...
Myrtle is now a house wood, units are bored and inspected, then chosen at random to fill orders.
Hey Tom, the new bodies look great! I'm excited to see mine when it gets here :)

I always assumed they were chosen at random--have people been emailing you requests? Might be worth clarifying somewhere on the webpage, because I thought briefly about it and then realised entertaining them would add a lot of complexity and hassle to the ordering process so I decided against it.

panasonic,

Purple-Days

Panasonic wrote, "I thought briefly about it and then realised entertaining them (second from the left requests) would add a lot of complexity and hassle to the ordering process so I decided against it." . . . Thanks, we appreciate the best minds. :cool: But, write anytime, think first . :lol: Just kidding, write anytime... we are in our old customer service mode. Limited production, top notch product and service. :2c:

Purple-Days,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Purple-Days said:
You guys need to read what Tom says. They're chose at random. Wait for the fancys if you want something special

minnesnowta,

JohnDeere

Sorry, highly-vaped as usual when I read Tom's myrtle pic blast...my sarcasm meter was not functioning properly.

JohnDeere,

panasonic

Man from the top those bodies look like they're made out of some sort of stone or agate

panasonic,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
That myrtle wood is beautiful. :o Even better when your currently using your other PD :brow:

HighSti,

Purple-Days

Chopped up the fancy woods the other day. Not dried well enough, :| so the blocks will season while I schedule some kiln time, likely to loose a few, not happy with the shipment, they substituted for #201 without approval and what they sent in it's place won't yield one PD. So it may be several months before any of these are dried and ready. So it's a bcack burner project for a while.

On another note, we have Black Mesquite coming in from a supplier we have used before. Should be another fun darkwood but will be priced higher ($180). Exotic but not endangered.

One last addition to the line-up. Here are the other leathers I spoke of. A couple of them were pretty ugly and won't be offered (orange and a green), but these are all very nice.

2lxf2ue.jpg

I didn't make those names up*, they were on the backs of the samples.
Yes the blonde one up top really is called Vapor. :D
iozwqg.jpg

*BTW the 'Blue on Grey' is not the original name, but since it is the only leather not 'struck through' (dyed all the way through with the same color) I wanted to describe it that way in it's name for clarity.

No, Myrtlewood isn't a luxury model. I get it for about the same price as Cherry or Walnut. Now I gotta get back out to the shop and get some more Pandoras packaged for tomorrow's mail run. Just cut a bunch of screen before breakfast, now it's on to the washing phase (hot soapy water) before packaging.

Happy Mother's Day.
x3g1g7.jpg

Fuck Combustion !

Purple-Days,

Plant

to bad about the customs have to wait for my next one to be a custom.
but the myrtlewood is also beautiful, and does look like stone, like soaprock.
By the way, how is the new screencutting machine working out for you, was it worth the investment?

Plant,

Purple-Days

I have always liked the Myrtlewood. It is variable, I could see from this fellow's items that he was choosing fine pieces. He goes to Alaska each year, to collect Alaskan Birch. Beautiful, but the trees are narrow and don't yield the lumber dimensions we need. He's also an ex-Plumber, so we connect as tradesmen.

I think we figured out how the higher end stuff should work. Same as Clear Dome's one of a kind things on etsy.com . . . He suggested going to them. They are geared to one of a kind items. Probably announce new items on the blog and sell via etsy... I'll post the link here when we are ready...

BTW I mentioned there was something coming for the Pandora buyers. It's a simple give-away. No contest... :cool: All Pandora buyers past and present, a thank you and really neat prize to a random customer. :o
Summer Madness :D obviously starts in February... and ends with September 6, 2010.

Summer curing also starts for the blocks of fancy woods. I started the micro-environment, cut blocks go into brown paper bags, stacked a special way, the bags are get taped and again stacked in a good orientation. This puts the brown paper wick near the exposed ends (of course) but retards rapid moisture reduction if they are stacked right. Once they are done with this (several months) I will send them on to be further dried in the Kiln and then they will be ready. :cool: You can rush good cooking. ;)

Meanwhile, check this out. The over-crowded Port Orford PO (not the worker's fault) just isn't as much fun as the Sixes PO. The extra two miles drive is wiped out by no line and speedy, cheerful service. Check the map for and alternate near you, maybe the crappy PO service, you get, is because of where you do your PO business, just a thought. Give it to folks who want it.

Purple-Days,
Alright, I am very vaped right now, but I just realized this. The Pandora, and probably all Purple Days vaporizers and other log style vapes, don't have bar codes. As someone who was obsessed with punk music as a teen, and the d.i.y. attitude that went along with the good stuff, this is another major draw to this type of vaporizer. The Pandora is the most d.i.y. of any of the vapes. It allows a degree of self expression not available in any other vape. The Pandora is punk as fuck and classy enough for your grandmother. I love it. By the way, my alder PDP is still getting deeper in color, and no one can go wrong with this wood choice.

SkeletonLips,

hereatlast

Wow I bet those orange and green leathers were pretty funky.

Black Mesquite sounds real intriguing, is that a similar density to Cherry and the others?

I too am really looking forward to my Alder PDP :cool:

hereatlast,

ki4mor

hello tom I have seemed to incounter a problem and I was seeing if you could add any insight as of why? As you probably know I finished and loved my pandora until today. I plugged it n and 30 min later to check on it, it was still cool. So I thought "guess it was unplugged" so I checked and the transformer was warm to the touch so now I'm freaking out. It had been working fine for almost a month and I double checked all the soder pointer before seeling it up any advice as to what I should do next would be greatly appreciated seeing as there is no warrenty :/

Thanks

ki4mor,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
ki4mor said:
hello tom I have seemed to incounter a problem and I was seeing if you could add any insight as of why? As you probably know I finished and loved my pandora until today. I plugged it n and 30 min later to check on it, it was still cool. So I thought "guess it was unplugged" so I checked and the transformer was warm to the touch so now I'm freaking out. It had been working fine for almost a month and I double checked all the soder pointer before seeling it up any advice as to what I should do next would be greatly appreciated seeing as there is no warrenty :/

Thanks
could possibly be the plug end of your adapter. Try using your car adapter. Take the PD out to your car, plug it in for about 5 minutes. Check the heat exchange to see if it is giving off heat. if it is, means you need to replace your wallwart becuase the plug is bad

DevoTheStrange,

ki4mor

DevoTheStrange said:
ki4mor said:

Thanks
could possibly be the plug end of your adapter. Try using your car adapter. Take the PD out to your car, plug it in for about 5 minutes. Check the heat exchange to see if it is giving off heat. if it is, means you need to replace your wallwart becuase the plug is bad
Omg!!!! Thanks it's that so I ran down to my local Frys electronics and got another one thanks agian

ki4mor,

Purple-Days

Ki4mor, since the Pandora has been working properly, you obviously did it right. :)

You know the solder joints were solid, there just isn't anything inside to go wrong, so an external source of trouble is almost assured. Since your wall wart is warm you are pretty well assured also that the wall wart is putting out it's 12V. That pretty well leaves you with a cord and plug to suspect. Units get dropped and hit the 'end of the rope'... this can damage both the the cord and plug, units can land on the plug or be set down hard hitting the plug first, this will break the plug... No warranty? Broken cords and plugs aren't covered under the normal PD warranty, they get broken. And since you built it, you know it didn't fall apart. ;)

Broken plug or cord... Cut back about 6" strip the wires, install new plug end. 2 for $2.99 at Radio Shack.

PS. that car cord is a great troubleshooter.

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom