Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

ki4mor

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Mine came today!!!!!!!!!!!!!(more to get the point across)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

To answer it now ordered on march 21st, got my order confirmation Monday, and 2 days later (you know)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also i will post up my unpacking video showing what comes in it, and how its packed. I'm debating whether to shoot a video of the construction, cause the provided DVD already does an amazing job of that.

ki4mor,
Awesome, can't wait to see the unpacking video. I am guessing mine should be here in about 2 weeks, based off of your times. I can't wait to see what the alder really looks like in my hands. Have fun with your build, and if you have any tips, please share. Thanks.

SkeletonLips,

Purple-Days

I'll just say again, the Pandoras are shipping on schedule and that means 2-4 weeks from order to shipping. I've just shrink wrapped all the Alder units and a batch of Walnuts. That means the bodies are bored and done. Always nice to have them wrapped and protected. But there are lots of things to making a kit so that doesn't mean they will be shipping tomorrow. Metalwork and packaging, disk burning blah, blah. blah... you know. So, as I have said things are running on schedule. Expect 2-4 weeks.

ki4mor, Enjoy! :)

FatPretzle asks, "is it possible that the tip of my soldering gun is contaminated from using lead solder?" I'm gonna attempt humor here. It's like asking if you can wash a toilet scrubber and use it for a toothbrush. :lol: Soldering irons (new) are about $10. I was just listening this evening, to a NPR segment on All Things Considered about the new regulations for the construction industry and the new EPA training required for Lead abatement and worker and environmental protection. Seems every year, more and more, we are waking up to the hazards of Lead. Science changes and our attitude about risk does too.

Purple-Days,

ki4mor

Hey Tom and Pammy thanks sooo much best purchasing experience EVER!

just to let you know you have an extra "s" in the heat exchange instructions

We stack with 6 Dark Fin (DF) washers and as many flat washers as it takes. You must end with a Dark Fin washer at the top of the stack and the top washers (has two holes) over that leaving enough room to insert the crossbar.
where it says you must end with a dark fin washer at the top of the stack and the top washer not washers lol confused me there or a bit

also I will make videos for the construction of the vapor tips and the finishing since you don't have them i will post them here on YouTube for anyone who doesn't want to read (me i feel your pain)

and for the part most people will be looking forward to after my last post^^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6vT2ezeekU

ki4mor,
Great video ki4mor, thanks a lot. Everything looks packed like I expected, which is a great thing. And Tom, take your time man, you've got a lot of work to do, and I ain't rushing ya. Shoot, I'll be recovering from surgery for the next few weeks, and probably won't get to it right away anyways. Keep up your good work.

SkeletonLips,

Mosquito

Vaportine
Hey Tom, just received my kit today. Got here a lot sooner than I anticipated. From what I see, everything is in order with the parts, and will be checking the video tutorial out later today. Would be watching it now if it weren't for my bunk CD drive, but will have a solution to this by noon latest. Thanks for the great product, can't wait to tell ya how it goes. Thanks a million! :D

Mosquito,

Purple-Days

Good luck with the recovery SkeletonLips. Eat right, rest and do whatever the nurse says.

Welcome to the forum Mosquito, hope you enjoy. Really glad folks are enjoying the Pandora. I think if, I wasn't building them, it is a product I would have interest in. I used to build models, including the old school balsa and tissue airplanes. And there was a Heathkit store about 5 miles from my home, not that I could afford most of their stuff.

Thanks for the feedback ki4mor, :) next run of DVDs (I'm not to far ahead) will get that correction.

Purple-Days,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i loved HeathKits ... shortwave receiver, morse code keyer, Benton Harbor Lunch Box (2 meter transceiver), SB100 (ham transceiver) ... my last one was a 70w stereo ... well done kits for sure -- with some vital tools, like a nut starter: a simple plastic tube that could hold a 6-32 or 4-40 nut in place to attach a panel or chassis screw.

i loved airplane models, too, but hated waiting for the glue to dry and switched to soldering - instant gratification!

Hippie Dickie,

Purple-Days

Yes that's normal, you can probably see why I use the screws as heat sinks. So glad it was a fun project. :)

Purple-Days,

edamame

vaporist
Definitely a fun project, and personally I feel very attached to mine after putting it together :)

edamame,

DrMephisto

I'll have to agree with the above. Just finished putting together my roommates Pandora, and it's actually made me more attached to my original PD. Great work, Tom!:)

DrMephisto,

Purple-Days

Thanks folks, for the positive feedback, it means a lot to Pammy and I. :D She is very important to the 'operation'. (Sorry, SL ;) ). Thanks again, to all.

Purple-Days,

bstar

I'm more and more tempted to get one of these the more I read. Have to ask though, are the instructions easy to understand for a newbie? I have some mechanical skills but I would need to see exactly what to do. (For example, I built my own PC, but as far as soldering I've only made a few simple LED lights and one easy repair.) I assume the DVD does this but I wanted to make sure before ordering. :) Thanks!

bstar,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Not only are there written instructions, pictures with text pointing out certain things then there are videos which are wonderful. Step by step I was able to watch Tom complete a step with me following along. I haven't completed it yet due to time constraint and waiting for kid free times but I am confident having read and watched video steps.

Oh, I'm a woman - not terribly experienced with a lot tools but I have done simple soldering on circuit boards years ago. I would say if the simple soldering doesn't scare you and you can read/follow directions well it isn't a project to be intimidated by :)

Lo,

bstar

Lo said:
Not only are there written instructions, pictures with text pointing out certain things then there are videos which are wonderful. Step by step I was able to watch Tom complete a step with me following along. I haven't completed it yet due to time constraint and waiting for kid free times but I am confident having read and watched video steps.

Oh, I'm a woman - not terribly experienced with a lot tools but I have done simple soldering on circuit boards years ago. I would say if the simple soldering doesn't scare you and you can read/follow directions well it isn't a project to be intimidated by :)
I'm a woman too so that's good to hear. :) Thanks!

bstar,

Flyer

bstar, go for it, fun project, not a hair puller at all. watch Tom's vid again when he solders, very well done. the entire project takes really only a couple hours. If somebody does not have a printer running I will ship you my printed matter.

Flyer,

Purple-Days

Nice offer on the literature Flyer. You can also read it as text on the screen but sometimes it's better on real paper, I know. ;)

Men or Women, it's not something that requires strength or 'Guy Knowledge'. I don't describe which way to turn a screwdriver, so a little mechanical knowledge is required. But beyond the basics I try to give you instruction for things you might never have done such as soldering etc... and as much visual info as possible without dumbing it down too much.

I hadn't thought about this in a long while, a lady I knew had a neat little basement business assembling and soldering circuit boards. Yep, it's not a gender thing.
It's a basic mechanical aptitude thing. And not that tough. :)

Purple-Days,

DrMephisto

I'd say it was a very easy build. I made some CMOY amps a few months back that were far more of a headache. Just be sure to read the entire instructions a couple times through (doesn't take too long) watch the vids after reading each section, and then follow both (along with scrolling through the annotated pics) while building...not counting waiting for glue to dry, took me about 2 hours. Sort of the "measure twice, cut once" adage, just make sure you know what you're supposed to be doing when you're doing it.

Tom and Pammy made some great vids/pics/text. Cakewalk!
-w-

DrMephisto,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Just thought about it today.. I have wood glue to glue to plywood bottom in but I was wondering if its alright to use the wood glue to glue the leather to the bottom? I would assume it would work fine but hey, why not ask?

HighSti,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Yes you can use wood glue, it is actually recommended you use it in the kit instructions, with an overnight dry time.
Works great, that leather is stuck on there firmly

DevoTheStrange,

bstar

Thanks for the info everybody! It sounds much more doable now. :)
Now the hard part, waiting for my husband to get it for me for mother's day, ha ha.

bstar,
Didn't wanna bug Tom directly, and I thought I'd ask all y'all who've built one, but I have some questions about my soldering iron. It's a 40 watt and it has a 1/4 inch chisel tip. Will it be plenty hot for the job? Is the tip the right kind, or should I use another size or style tip? Thanks. I haven't soldered since high school and it was just for a school project. Not much knowledge about soldering in my head yet.

SkeletonLips,

Purple-Days

All the connections are light gauge so a light duty iron will be fine. The only reason to use more power is with heavy gauge connections. Any iron that gets hot enough to melt solder will have the capacity to do the job, but may take just a little longer to fully heat the two pieces to be joined by the solder. That's the key to soldering, getting both parts and the solder up to 'flow' temps. A drop of solder on the iron helps transfer heat to the objects, another tip is heat rises, so after the solder starts to flow, moving the iron to the underside will give the best heat transfer, also excess solder will flow downward and back onto the hot iron. I am right handed and this may sound backwards, but I hold my iron in my left hand and feed solder with my right.

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom