oregonglassblower (Mike): glass downstems, adapters, oil kits, etc...

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Uhm. Shit. Dude. :rofl:

Sorry, you'll have to excuse me. That was my first "real" encounter... fuck I can't spell right now... with dabs. From what my bud-tender told me (I bought it someplace else), its good wax. Cotton Candy full-melt (whatever the fuck that means :shrug:)

This stuff

If it ain't domeless... it works. If you screw it all the way down. I got a good hit off it. But for some reason, that was the time, I tried just dropping it (instead of the dental pick) and it stuck to my finger. So, like a highly medicated dumbass, I thought... "just tap real quick". Now I have this fucking brand on my finger... but it worked!

HOWEVER (holy shit, that's a big however)... I like it with the little mini dome best. I tried it normal with the nail screwed about 1/4 up and used the big dome. I liked that. I think that's when I next tried the fucking idiot move with the tap it, it'll drop right off dab, sans dome. Anyway... I then... in my infinite wisdom (vast, it is), thought I would try to drop one with the little dome. Again. Stuck to my finger. This time.. tried tapping my finger on the glass. It kind of work, but dropped down into the space between the dome and the nail (quit laughing).

My final try, was with a pick and it worked beautifully. Didn't even see a wisp of the vapor up top, Saw, see, sea.... saw... that doesn't look right. Anyways, so I see the tube just explode with vapor andPOW! straight to the moon!

At least, it went something like that.

I want more.
weee.gif

I'll try to post a video tonight.

Does it knock out of the joint? No. The wheel, screw part it the width of the 18mm male joint.

lol, wax looks fine, if a little unfiltered. glad ur enjoying it! yea once you go dabs, it's hard to go back, but watch out what it'll do to ur tolerance. thanks for the chuckles, hope ur fingers alright, lol.

Bob Loblaw,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I might be using pieces wrong. Let me go look at everything and how it fits. He sent a boatload of stuff, I wasn't expecting.

Do you use an oil dome? I have just designed a dome less system that has a sleeve instead of dome with the nail sticking up above the sleeve so you just blast the nail and dab. No messing around with the dome.

OK. I think I'm supposed to screw it up OVER that shorty "dome".

I might be using pieces wrong. Let me go look at everything and how it fits. He sent a boatload of stuff, I wasn't expecting.

i don't like the nail that low because i worry about heat transfer to the glass.

The glass he sent me to test? :D

BigDaddyVapor,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
hey BDV if ur a little clearer headed, is there a hole going down from the dish thru the shaft?
is so it's domeless, meaning you don't really need the sleeve, or only the short/small sleeve

Bob Loblaw,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
No hole. I asked Mike some more questions, asked him to join us again. @#$%... forgot to tell him to sign up as vendor.

Anyway. I just tried it like this and it worked very well, once I got my pull right (little puff escaped, before I reacted like greased lightning). Rest went >>whooooosh>> like I see in the videos and .gifs.

20130201_175401_zpsfad09ac6.jpg

20130201_175518_zps8b7a8e8b.jpg

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

that herb guy

hey BDV if ur a little clearer headed, is there a hole going down from the dish thru the shaft?
is so it's domeless, meaning you don't really need the sleeve, or only the short/small sleeve

From what I can tell, it's not 'domeless' as much as 'dome friendly'. Sounds like the sleeve is supposed to sit below the nail so you don't have to drop it on and rush to get the dab on, just blast it with the sleeve around and the air being sucked through is close enough to the joint it will draw the smoke (vapor?) through the joint when you drop the dab in.

I envy you dabbers. You have no idea.

Edit: Beat to it by BDV.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I'm going to try dropping it a bit more later. Just can't keep walking in there doing dabs. Its like a kick to the head, each time. In a good way though. :mental:

BigDaddyVapor,

chimpybits

I hate to interrupt everyone's dabbing fun (of which I've yet to experience), but ...
You want the top of the slits on the showerhead DS, to be as close to level, with the top of the cuts on the bubbler showerhead.
OK, here is the magic nugget of info. Got it. And the top of the slits on Mike's showerhead DS are ⅜" from the bottom of the DS.

The water level is going to sit at the level of the lowest perc. If the DS extends past the cuts on the bubbler, your water level will be below the cuts, after you pull on it the first time. Only way to rectify it, is to pull the DS each time.
To clarify, you mean that the water level is going to sit at the level of the top of the slits of the lowest perc when pulling. If the top of the slits of the DS extends below the the top of the cuts on the bubbler, your water level will be below the top of these cuts, after you pull on it the first time. And this is bad.

OK, so in summary I'm looking for the top of the slits on the showerhead DS, to be as close to level, but NOT below, the top of the cuts on the bubbler showerhead?

If so, I therefore want a DS length ⅜" below the top of the cuts on the bubbler showerhead. (The top of the slits on the showerhead DS are ⅜" from the DS bottom). I estimate the top of the cuts of the bub to be a bit above the blue ¾" mark. So, a DS extending to the red ½" mark should be OK as it's top cuts will be just above the blue ¾" mark (⅛" above). I would have to better measure the top of the bubbler cuts to be sure (i.e. making sure they are at least ⅛" above the ¾" mark).

From your graphic, I would want it, between the 1/2" mark and 3/4" mark.
By "it" you mean the bottom of the DS, yes?
That makes sense, a bit shorter to be safe (or if I can't be bothered re-measuring).

That would mean ordering a 3¾" DS. Current 4⅝" DS - ¼" (amount the gg juts beyond top of the bub) -
⅝" (between the ½" mark and ¾" mark).

Also, Is there anything else I can do / request from Mike to quiet my bubbler down?

- pic again for reference. hopefully useful, not annoying.

chimpybits,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I'm not quite sure I agree that you need the inner showerhead (for the rest of this post "showerhead" refers to the top of the slits specifically) to be above the outer showerhead.

Here's my thinking:
Inner showerhead higher; the inner showerhead is gonna be exposed to air during the hit, so most vapor will escape the path of less resistance and go through the "air holes" instead of through the water.

Inner showerhead lower; the inner showerhead should be covered in water/perc-ing during the hit, and there's already water around the outer showerhead so its not gonna experience the "air hole" effect.

If you're after more percolation/diffusion, I'd assume you want the inner showerhead a smidge lower than the outer.
:2c:

If its just for changing the feel of the hit or reducing the bore of the downstem, then a higher inner showerhead could be the way to go.
:shrug:

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I'm not quite sure I agree that you need the inner showerhead (for the rest of this post "showerhead" refers to the top of the slits specifically) to be above the outer showerhead.

Here's my thinking:
Inner showerhead higher; the inner showerhead is gonna be exposed to air during the hit, so most vapor will escape the path of less resistance and go through the "air holes" instead of through the water.

Inner showerhead lower; the inner showerhead should be covered in water/perc-ing during the hit, and there's already water around the outer showerhead so its not gonna experience the "air hole" effect.

If you're after more percolation/diffusion, I'd assume you want the inner showerhead a smidge lower than the outer.
:2c:

If its just for changing the feel of the hit or reducing the bore of the downstem, then a higher inner showerhead could be the way to go.
:shrug:

THANK YOU! to the more sober guy!!! Exactly what he said, though we differ slightly. I think the top of the slits being even on both pieces, will achieve max diffusion/perc. Though, I would certainly admit to not being 100% on that. Frederick spells it out well.

As for the rush/roar of the pipe, any DS down to that level little high/low, won't matter... will quiet it sufficiently. Though, I've really taken a liking to the piece, w/o the DS.

Oh yeah... dabs are cool. But whoa... bit hard core for me. Knocked my ass out for a few hours, when it was wearing off. Don't know if I'm ready to put in the time and $$$ for something that's gone so quick. I'll have to see how long this lasts me, because I can't take a hit, for @#$%. Tiny, little wax balls.

BigDaddyVapor,

chimpybits

THANK YOU! to the more sober guy!!! Exactly what he said, though we differ slightly. I think the top of the slits being even on both pieces, will achieve max diffusion/perc. Though, I would certainly admit to not being 100% on that. Frederick spells it out well.

As for the rush/roar of the pipe, any DS down to that level little high/low, won't matter... will quiet it sufficiently. Though, I've really taken a liking to the piece, w/o the DS.
Great. Easier. Then I can just order a 4" DS. I'm happier requesting a standard size from Mike - who has already cut me more than a fair deal.
- That will place the bottom of the DS ⅜" from the bottom of the bub shower (between the ¼ and ½ marks on my pic) and the top of the DS cuts to the blue ¾" mark - a smidge below the top of the bub shower cuts. That looks good to me.

Though what do I know as I've only hit this one bub and only with a (stock) DS. So, really I've nothing else to compare this setup too and some of these concepts - drag, chug, diffusion - remain abstract. So, thanks doods for hand-holding this noob. Resident glassperts weighing in no less. :tup:

I like quieter so will probably keep with the DS, but may try w/o some day. Perhaps with that HI that is just a twinkle in my eye.

b0

Cloudy...
I think I'm going to order a set. I don't have a nail yet and I'm planing to do my first QWISO from some ABV and some trims (not mixing them)next week. I saw that OGB has really good prices, a lot cheaper that others grade 2 Ti nails and I like this concept "without a dome".

b0,
I think I'm going to order a set. I don't have a nail yet and I'm planing to do my first QWISO from some ABV and some trims (not mixing them)next week. I saw that OGB has really good prices, a lot cheaper that others grade 2 Ti nails and I like this concept "without a dome".
I would say the nails he gives out with his sets are too small. The reason I personally bought one with no reservations is his sets cost as much with a nail as other places charge without one. I still love the old school dome I got from him, he even put a nice beefy grab on mine. I was mainly there to get a custom downstem for another piece, might as well get more stuff for the same shipping! Thanx again Mike!

elSUmSF.jpg

As you can see, the highly educated nail is a tad larger.

mrboote,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I don't know if the new nail is what he's sending out. Though, it doesn't look like either one of those, except the cup, on the right. Looks like Mike's has more free flow, as his appears to be a kind of a combo, between both of those. Smaller cup, wide-open air-flow.

I heard back from Mike today. He watched the Youtube and said, I've got the idea right. So its a domeless/sleeve unit, I guess? If you drop it down, real low... it hits fine, without either the dome, or the sleeve, however.

I tried it out on a smaller piece (My VB mini and SSFG mini AC)... its a lot easier for me to clear, with the smaller volume.

Oh, also... on the small 1 1/2" DS I posted pics of, Mike wanted me to know he specifically cut them closer, to allow for the water volume on the small tube. He says, "it might break" because of it... but honestly. I got a chuckle out of that. Its very well-annealed and feels strong. We'll see, but I don't think he'll hear from me about that, unless I do something stupid.

Which means, he'll probably hear from me, next week. :lol:

I'll post some more reviews and individual pics later. Today, is a very lazy day. Its been a very hectic, stressful, painful 3 weeks. I need some down time.

BigDaddyVapor,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
The airflow and radius looks larger on Mike's new piece. Here's some more picture showing it on the 45 degree adapter. Its pretty much wide-open to.

20130202_222111_zps70d33cda.jpg

20130202_222152_zps9421a1e0.jpg

20130202_221735_zps04ae0401.jpg

You can go domeless with it screwed down like this, but gotta be quick and hard.
20130202_221838_zps596f5ced.jpg

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: JSteez4205
Top Bottom