• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

oregonglassblower (Mike): glass downstems, adapters, oil kits, etc...

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
They're frequent questions on the forum, "Where can I get 18mm cleaning stopper?", "Anyone know where I can get a dome kit... a 45 degree male/male?" People are always looking for someplace to get all these little glass pieces to make their large rigs, go vrooooom!

I found oregonglassblower, here on the forum, I believe VH was the first to point me this guy's way (I know he uses him also) and I've been buying from him ever since. My first purchase was a 6 slit showerhead downstem. Since then, I've bought a 14mm whip adapter, 18/14mm reducer, another showerhead downstem, 18mm glass stopper, 14mm glass stopper, 12 hole-4 slit showerhead downstem (beta test).

His name is Mike, the longer you order from him, bundle items together... the more generous Mike gets, towards the customer loyalty. He'll cut deep discounts on multiple item orders and this last time, asked me to beta a downstem he's been working on.

I created this thread, because after 3 orders, each subsequently larger in quantity, all handled pretty much the same time of week, or at least shipped at the same time. Each time, Mike has been prompt, courteous, patient, extremely expedient, yet churns out nice work. I've often wondered why he doesn't make full size pieces, but I think I know why. He can make up many more of these smaller pieces, using HQ glass, doing SOLID work and make a decent amount of money. Kind of anonymous, but I bet it pays some bills. At least it should!

Personally, I think Mike should sign up here and form a relationship with the forum. It would serve both parties well. I know the exposure helps him, but I think making people aware of him, serves a better purpose for ALL of us, together.

Plus, I have a bunch of new pictures to share of his work and don't feel its appropriate to post it in Glassblowersdirect's thread, or Leviathan and its not fair to Mike. His work should be recognized. I hope sharing all this, you will agree. Maybe you'll be impressed enough to order, or he'll be impressed enough to offer up FC discounts...

First, a link to his Storefront. >--->> OregonGlassBlower ioffer Store

Please Note: All downstem measurements are taken from the bottom of the grind, to the bottom of the downstem. That is Mike's method, so I shall observe it for his reviews.

My Original 6-Slit Showerhead Downstem

20121026_000759.jpg

20121026_001004.jpg

A very solid piece. Frederick said it reminded him of an Alex K. But, really the whole picture of it... it reminds me of no one. I now associate this style with Mike. More on that later. Any pictures I take/took of Mike's work, does not do it justice. They are truly beautiful and solid. This one has met its share of crashes to the floor and has yet to even chip. Its clanged into the side of a 7mm MegaTube countless times, not a scratch. My only complaint, the piece I originally ordered this for, I don't like enough to use this downstem in it. So it shares duty with an 18-hole NoName, in my BIG Leviathan. Its too short for it and I had intended to replace it, since I first put it in. Still, hits like a champ. Looks are deceiving in this piece as I would normally think this might be prone to some chug. However, the wide open nature, is so smooth and slick... water/air/smoke/vapor just slide right thru, while being broken up into smaller bubbles. While it doesn't feel chuggy, it does result in a froth of bubbles. Drag is barely evident, though slight. While it may not make a pretty picture percolating, it does a very good job. Saves flavor, though I've hit smoother. A Solid: B+

Knick-Knacks

After this order, I placed an order for an 18/14 reducer and 14mm whip adapter. Sorry, no pics. Not really noteworthy. Mike's typical HQ glass, SOLID work. There actually is a note for this. Both orders, I placed them late Friday/early Saturday time-frame. Both times, Mike made the pieces that weekend, had them in the mail on Monday. Wednesday, they are in my mailbox. Both pieces do exactly as expected, pristine as the day I bought them. Nothing fancy, so again: B+

MegaTube Finds a Mate

Full Order (L - R: 14mm stopper, 12-hole/4-slit showerhead downstem, 6-slit showerhead downstem, 18mm stopper)
20121031_124159.jpg

The glass stoppers are NOT as pictured on the website. That's OK. I like these MUCH better. Nice, big, solid, clean glass marble on a solid ground glass plug. Both water/air tight in any piece I've tried it in. 18mm cleaned out The BDV an hour ago. But, ultimately they're cleaning stoppers. For the nicer, distinct-looking pieces, I give them a: B+

Top of all of Mike's low-pro downstems (solid, clean, tough)
20121031_124011.jpg

6-Slit Showerhead Downstem - 4 1/2"
20121031_124100.jpg

20121031_124036.jpg

Jumping back to the shape and what Mike's work reminded me of and the specific reason I ordered this particular downstem. When I saw the Glassblowersdirect.com bubbler and saw it would accept a downstem... this is the first one I thought of. This is made, for that piece. Hopefully my wild stab in the dark length, works.

Wow! While it may look like the one above, this one is close to flawless. Beautiful work, nice balance to the swell, the cuts... really nice work! Helps with the turbulence of the prior downstem. Ordered at 4 1/2". Came at 4 3/8". I believe this is within an acceptable margin of error for a hand-made/blown piece. This one gets a firm: A

12-Hole 4-Slit Showerhead Downstem (beta)
20121031_123656.jpg

20121031_123756.jpg

20121031_123830.jpg

20121031_123924.jpg

20121031_123918.jpg

Quick note about shipping: I would have had this earlier in the week, than usual but, measurements and payment were my delay. Still, Mike made them over the weekend. Stuck them in the mail on Monday. Wednesday (today) they were here.

OMG! I saw this and knew I wouldn't ever capture the beauty of it. The pictures... smooth, hand-blown/worked glass would look harsh, under the light and appear as flaws. Trust me, when I say, this piece is about as perfect a hand-made piece I've seen. It shows in the performance. Both visually... but especially functionally, this piece shines. The 4 rows of 3 holes, are hand-punched, sitting below them, 4 smooth, clean cuts in the glass, for the showerhead effect. The BDV has obviously always been capable of huge hits. However, those hits... just by sheer volume, always were a little harsh. Its a ton of vapor. This downstem, can't eliminate the drag of that big of a piece, but its hardly noticeable now. This downstem, can't eliminate the tickle from such a massive volume of vapor, but you don't want to hack up a lung, after enjoying even larger hits, than before. Oh yeah, because it sits lower in the tube, it reduces water level, thus increasing vapor volume. So its not a figment of imagination, nor placebo effect. This piece performs as well functionally, as any full size piece I have. An absolute home-run, for a beta piece. Can't go higher: A+

A video showing the awesomeness of this piece! HD 1080

If you're looking for any glass accessories, made with HQ Boro glass in America. Fast, courteous, professional work, for a damn good price, especially when ordering multiple items... then check out oregonglassblower.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I couldn't tell you, but you can shoot him a message on the site. If he's not sleeping, he's usually pretty fast in answering.

BigDaddyVapor,

Lou

Another big plus for Mike. I talked a bit back and forth sunday night and ended up ordering a few things, which he made THAT NIGHT and shipped the NEXT MORNING. Just got them today and they are indeed quality pieces.
I picked up the straight carbon filter,
18mm gg stopper,
14mm custom 90 degree water pipe adapter,
18>14mm reducer
14<18 expander,
18mm snapper bowl.

I'll just reiterate, if you need fittings, stoppers, downstems, even custom, fast and at a nice price there's just no need to look elsewhere. :tup:

He's a really great seller. I've purchased a 14mm stopper and a custom made 14mm carbon filter with a 45degree angle. Both shipped fast, he's definetly the go to guy for glass adapters/accessories and such.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
For those who haven't ever ventured into the Leviathan thread, or just don't know what the Hell the 22" 7mm custom piece is... and since its related to the topic (this is what, that beta downstem, literally earned a place in). I don't think it would be possible to lower the drag on this piece, anymore. This downstem is the smoothest, biggest hitting one, that has ever been in this piece and that now stands at 6 different ones, including 2 other showerhead and an 18-hole diffuser downstem.

Newest pictures of The Leviathan BigDaddyVapor MegaTube: Destroyer of Sober! Bringer of STONED! with the new downstem.

20121031_150306.jpg

20121031_150329.jpg

20121031_150318.jpg

20121031_150410.jpg

20121031_150339.jpg

Now, if y'all will pardon me... while I go get re-reacquainted with this badass rig!

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
A very solid piece. Frederick said it reminded him of an Alex K. But, really the whole picture of it... it reminds me of no one. I now associate this style with Mike.
I got a shout-out :rockon:
Mike Downstem:
18-8mm-to-14-4mm-6-slot-showerhead-downstem-30-2dd2.JPG

Alex K Downstem:
48_grande.jpg

They're at least kinda similar :lol:

But the pics of your showerhead actually look a bit nicer than my one (that's not my pic above).
The little bulge on my Alex K isn't symmetrical, it doesn't seem to affect function, but it's an imperfection that I don't see in Mike's work :tup:

I like the look of that showerhead/punched hole downstem, any idea when they'll be out of beta testing? I might have to pick one up for my Fishbone bub :D

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I got a shout-out :rockon:
They're at least kinda similar :lol:

But the pics of your showerhead actually look a bit nicer than my one (that's not my pic above).
The little bulge on my Alex K isn't symmetrical, it doesn't seem to affect function, but it's an imperfection that I don't see in Mike's work :tup:

I like the look of that showerhead/punched hole downstem, any idea when they'll be out of beta testing? I might have to pick one up for my Fishbone bub :D

Well, when you put it like that...

Seriously, the Alex K's I always see are white, red... some solid color and it always accentuates the one big difference, that I perceive.

The Alex K look short, squat... fat. Mike's are lean and mean!

Well, I've officially known about the beta since Friday or Saturday. I sent him a message, with a link to the thread. You now know as much as me. :D

I've wanted to pick up a few downstems from OGB, but his photos always made them look so ugly. I'll place a nice large order of things I need tomorrow.

I most recently bought a mini carbon filter from him. Great price and quality at $20.

edit: oh and I don't know if he ships 'world wide' but he did ship to Ontario, Canada.

edit 2: wow he really reduced his stock! Used to be way more items for sale.

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Just ordered a 18 to 14 6 slot downstem from Mike, man is he quick. :tup: I'm trying a 4 5/8ths, awesome to have someone to do custom orders.

Was so tempted to order that 18 to 14 angled adapter, but I had to restraint myself. Next time, ;).

Gammy

Gammy's getting upset!
For those who haven't ever ventured into the Leviathan thread, or just don't know what the Hell the 22" 7mm custom piece is... and since its related to the topic (this is what, that beta downstem, literally earned a place in). I don't think it would be possible to lower the drag on this piece, anymore. This downstem is the smoothest, biggest hitting one, that has ever been in this piece and that now stands at 6 different ones, including 2 other showerhead and an 18-hole diffuser downstem.

Newest pictures of The Leviathan BigDaddyVapor MegaTube: Destroyer of Sober! Bringer of STONED! with the new downstem.

20121031_150306.jpg

20121031_150329.jpg

20121031_150318.jpg

How much did you pay for that beauty? Damn it's nice

Lou

I think its the titan omega or alpha? Very reasonably priced and probably would be my first choice if I were in the market for another tall tube.

Lou,

dorkus_molorkus

I tried to do business with oregonglassblower on ioffer about 15mths ago and couldnt even get a reply from 2 enquiries as to whether he would ship to aust. I eventually got the hint & shopped elsewhere. i was really bummed, he had some great stuff at great prices.

Pity I wasnt even worth a reply. :(

dorkus_molorkus,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I think its the titan omega or alpha? Very reasonably priced and probably would be my first choice if I were in the market for another tall tube.

Its based off the Titan, but you won't ever find one. Titan's are beaker bottoms. Mine is a 60mm bottom straight wall. According to Lev (and I'll hold him to it)... its one they won't ever make again. :)

Though, some kid did try to steal my skelly and put it on his piece. FOR SHAME!

I tried to do business with oregonglassblower on ioffer about 15mths ago and couldnt even get a reply from 2 enquiries as to whether he would ship to aust. I eventually got the hint & shopped elsewhere. i was really bummed, he had some great stuff at great prices.

Pity I wasnt even worth a reply. :(

Well, in his defense (its on a couple of his listings in feedback sections, or used to be) a comment shows up, around that time frame... he had, I believe a death in the family... and had shut down for a while. If you hadn't ever followed up after that (who could blame you?)... you wouldn't ever know. Sorry, don't have details... but at the least, I do remember reading that on his page, as I'm one that always reads thru feedback.

Not that I hope he had a death in his family, but I hope there's a reasonable explanation. My interactions have, always been top notch.

BigDaddyVapor,

dorkus_molorkus

I really wasnt trying to bag the dude.

But while everyone was talking about how great their experiences were, I figured......

well you know.

but hey, shit happens, I will make a point of having another look.

cause if it wasnt for this site, i would never have known that i actually am able to do business with him after all.

sweet! :tup:

Top Bottom