number of hits necessary to get high vaping v. smoking

Jimlinsa

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before but I can't find an answer to my specific question anywhere.

I've been vaping for a couple of weeks (Launch Box) and it seems to me that it takes more hits on a vaporizer to consume an equal amount of herb versus smoking. One or two tokes on a pipe would get me high (and consume all the weed.) Vaping, I find myself taking five or six hits and there's still green in there.

Could be the launch box? Could be my technique, as I'm still pretty new at it? Anybody else have the same experience?

So the bottom line is should you have to vape more (as in number of hits) to get medicated than smoking?

Thanks.

Jimlinsa,
Reactions: DOOM

lwien

Jimlinsa said:
So the bottom line is should you have to vape more (as in number of hits) to get medicated than smoking?

Thanks.

Not in my experience.

But I think there's too many variables to have your question answered accurately. When you're comparing hits from a vape versus hits from smoking, are you smoking out of a bong or smoking joints? Are you vaping out of Purple Days Vaporizer or a Silver Surfer Vaporizer? These variables can make a HUGE difference in trying to answer your question.

lwien,

weedemon

enthusiast
Welcome to FC! I hope you stick around and check this awesome place out!

lots of different factors come in to play, I will try to touch one a few of them. :)

toking technique is definitely a factor. I like the micro hitting or occasional sipping technique. I find the slower i can hit the better and more potent they are. sometimes i have to stop to breather because the inhale that i take is so weak. this gets the strongest hits.

another factor is your tolerance. each vape delivers a different load when you use it. a pd uses very little and will require more refills to get you there vs. the volcano or some other device that takes more weed to laod the chamber.

another is smoking vs. vaporizing. when you smoke you are getting "high" from a bunch of bullshit that you are lighting on fire and burning. it takes time to distinguish between the type of high you get from a smoking bullshit high. (IMO) :D Vs a true vapor (THC, CBN, CBD )high

The MFLB is a damn fine vape imo, but consider ordering the Power Adapter (PA) from magic flight. you will find the link in the mflb thread several times :D Stick with it and in time I believe that anyone who sticks will it will become a convert.

Flavour country with clear lungs and no hacking VS harsh smoke that makes me cough up black shit daily... easy decision imo :)

weedemon,

max

Out to lunch
Vaporizing isn't as simple as smoking. With smoking, you're just setting the herb on fire and inhaling the smoke. It's either lit, or it isn't. With vapor, especially with a vape like the LB (more variables for the proper temp), you have to get the right temp AND make sure all your herb gets exposed to the heat. There's quite a bit of conduction going on with the LB, which means stirring the bowl up (the more you load the harder it is to get it all vaped) during the vaping process.

The plus with vapor, vs. smoke, is that avoiding combustion means theres more time for exposure of your herb to heat, giving you more access to the compounds before they're gone. The same amount of herb should last you longer than with smoking. Also keep in mind that with smoke, some of the 'high' isn't cannabis related, but smoke related. Smoke byproducts, mostly toxins, are considered by smokers to be part of the mj high. Most of the effect of these byproducts is sedative, with maybe a little lightheadedness/dizziness. Vapor is a cleaner, more alert high, with the higher you go in temp, the closer to the smoke high you get.

These variables can make a HUGE difference in trying to answer your question.
Yeah, you'll need to supply more info for a better answer.

max,

lwien

max said:
These variables can make a HUGE difference in trying to answer your question.
Yeah, you'll need to supply more info for a better answer.

Yeah, sometimes I offer up more comprehensive answers than at other times. This time I felt a bit lazy, so I figured I could answer a bit of it and others, such as yourself, would fill in the blanks.

lwien,

SD_haze

You'd be surprised what just a small # of decent vapor rips can do when you haven't vaped already that day.

You just want to stimulate your cannabinoid receptors, over-saturating them usually results in sleepy time :ko:

SD_haze,

Jimlinsa

Thanks for all the tips and observations. All useful. :) I like the box a lot. Think I just need to work on my technique.

I just checked out a video on the Power Adapter. Noticed that the dude coughed majorly. :o Too hot? I would hope to avoid that.

Newbie question: How do you get the quote boxes?

Jimlinsa,
Yeah, what Max and Weeddemon said very well, basically. The toxins that you get from lighting up almost any herbal product can produce a pretty narcotic effect unto themselves, and the absence of those honestly very undesirable compounds is likely what's slowing down the process.

Consider a heavier hitting vaporizer for when you don't need the stealth and elegance of the MFLB. They help the times-a-wastin' feeling you get with some lighter hitting vaporizers. Vapes like the DBV, Vapocane, MW, ExtremeQ, VXC, Supreme and others can all tear you up pretty good. Tolerance is also an issue to take into account.

I personally haven't tried the PA, but I know it floats around 55 or so bucks. For that price I'd sooner invest in a different vape, or if I had glass pieces already, I would get a Vapocane or Vapobowl for even less.

charliedontsurf,
Reactions: DOOM

weedemon

enthusiast
Jimlinsa said:

click the green quote at the bottom right corner of who you want to quote. :)

charliedontsurf said:
Consider a heavier hitting vaporizer for when you don't need the stealth and elegance of the MFLB. They help the times-a-wastin' feeling you get with some lighter hitting vaporizers. Vapes like the DBV, Vapocane, MW, ExtremeQ, VXC, Supreme and others can all tear you up pretty good. Tolerance is also an issue to take into account.

"times a wastin feeling". that is a fantastic way of putting it and i totally agree. if you need to get there quick then you need a bigger hitter.

p.s dont forget the dbv's big brother the SSV! :ko:

weedemon,

Carbon

I have a general comment not necessarily related to any specific model, but I have noticed that doing something I haven't done much of recently is what will have the greatest effect (differing characteristics of vape high vs. combustion high put aside). What I mean is that if all I'm used to doing is vaping, then the rare smoke session will do me in far more. The other side is true as well. When I was road tripping for hours a day for two days in a row only toking joints, then got home and busted out the vape, it got me far harder than the Js were for the second half of the trip.

I know this may not address the OP's specific question, but I thought this might be some good insight to share.

Carbon,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Being new, I'm still measuring this. I used to use the "spoon" style glass to combust daily. I now use the HerbalAire. With the glass, I would get 5-7 hits. With the same amount in the HA (ground), I easily get double, even triple of visible vapor hits. It helps me stretch it out.

With the strain I have, I have noticed no difference in effect by combustion or vaping. One big hit of either gets me to the same place. The vape feels cleaner and it is easier to overdo it, but that's part of the fun.

Magic9,

crawdad

floatin
for me i just had to experiment with my vaporizer and herb till now i know exactly how much to put in, how to hit it and when its a good time to stir or refill...all to get what i want out of it. for me, the number of hits can range from 1 to 50, just depends on what i want out of it. last night was pretty high, LOL.

i think the same is true for joints, bongs and such, no two are rolled/filled exactly the same unless you measure each pre-rolled and hit each with the same breaks between puffs (so not too much is wasted by just burning away)...its just a learning process.

to me, the herb itself is what determines how many hits...only once have i tried "inferior" herb in my vape and i got a bit impatient (times a wasting feeling) so i understand the feeling.

crawdad,

Jimlinsa

Whoa!

Thanks!

:D

weedemon said:
Jimlinsa said:

click the green quote at the bottom right corner of who you want to quote. :)

charliedontsurf said:

"times a wastin feeling". that is a fantastic way of putting it and i totally agree. if you need to get there quick then you need a bigger hitter.

p.s dont forget the dbv's big brother the SSV! :ko:

Jimlinsa,

Vaporgin.

Mt.BakerVaper
I get the "times a wastin" feeling quite often with the mflb now that my tolerance has increased a ton. But turning up the heat of the PA to full blast and zapping those nice high temp cannabanoids for a trench usually gets me there way quicker. I think ill have to test that out right now, going on these forums always leads to me vaping. :brow:

Vaporgin.,

nucleo

Your lungs are black from smoking joints. Your lungs are covered in black tar. If in fact, they aren't, you wouldn't have any problems with a vape. Sadly enough people do tend to switch over to vaping after being a smoker. Therefore if your able to, get on the treadmill or do some cardioboxing/martial arts without smoking joints and only using the vaporizer. This will clear some minor problems with your lungs and will allow for more vapor to be inhaled. Your lungs don't open up when you inhale smoke simply because you yourself know sub-consiously that you don't need to in order to inhale smoke. More exposure to smoke causes secondary lung cancer meaning you inhale deeper and the lower parts of your lungs get fucked.
After using a vaporizer under 200 C for a week, try smoking a joint but don't force it down, and do this before bedtime or else you will end up back at square 1 when you decide to roll a second one. I will guarantee you will cough like shit and will be able to quit the whole joint thing. If you smoke cigs just forget everything i wrote because smoking cigs will just get you back in the habit of lighting up, plus you won't feel anything from the vape if your lungs are asking for combustion.

Just thought i'd give me 2 cents.

Also i forgot to add that using low quality bud with low thc will get you higher than smoking a joint with twice as much thc if using a vaporizer. ust remember that in the end, the sooner you switch over or quit smoking completely, the sooner your lungs have a chance of clearing up and hopefully less chance of contracting any form of cancer.

Studies have reported THC kills cancer cells. THC gets you high. Vaping is the only way to administer THC without carnicogens. If you are vaping just to get high then there's no point doing it in the temperature range where toxins are released. The only logical and sensible answer would be to vape without toxins or quit altogether.

nucleo,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Well if you are trying to get off of the THC then vaping would provide a better high with fewer hits since combustion would burn a lot of the THC up, leaving you with a nice carcinogen like high, and you always chasing the actually weed high.

aesthyrian,
Top Bottom