Not related to Cannabis but -- how am I alive with a ~650 calorie average/day

TboneToker

I'm an underweight male at about 6 feet tall and I weigh around 125lbs.

I usually don't feel the need to eat and so I average less than one meal a day, for example -- yesterday I had umm... right! I had a protein shake with hemp oil (about 250 calories in total) and that's all I had yesterday.

Should I be worried that my body is not telling me to eat or is it fine if I feel fine, I'm worried that perhaps I feel "fine" but really I only think I feel fine cause I don't know better? Anyways, maybe someone else has or had a similar experience/phase.

Thanks FC

TboneToker,
Reactions: ataxian

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Do you have a fitness routine? If you develop some muscles you will have to feed them.

i'm 6' and 175lbs. i do aerobics and weight training 4 out of 5 days and can eat pretty much whatever i want - the aerobics makes a lot of what passes for food appear very unappetizing to me, and real food tastes incredible.

for me, feeling fine is evaluated within a performance context - being physically active every day. i seem to have been blessed with decent DNA - good central European stock.

Tranquility

Anything under 800 calories a day is called a very low calorie diet. There are a host of problems when the obese use this type of plan even if they use it for limited periods as a quick start to weight loss. For someone who has a low percentage body fat as you must, some dangers are worse. Most importantly, you have little room for error. If things go bad, they can go bad quickly. Of most concern might be your heart. Anorexia can kill.

See a doctor and let him know what is going on. He'll probably take some blood to make sure you are not screwing up your electrolytes and to make sure the proteins that indicate cardiac damage are not there. He will also assess the reasons why you don't feel the need to eat and might guide you towards a healther diet and, perhaps, some counseling.

250 KCals a day is not sustainable. Look up the indications of danger from hunger strikes and the like on the internet and see if any of the sign or symptoms apply to you.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
In 2010, when I carried a heavy backpack from LA to NYC, I'm pretty sure I weighed no more than 135 lbs when I started. I weighed 130 lbs when I finished. I didn't eat much during the 211-day span, and I averaged 16.5 miles a day (including off days). I have no idea how I was able to keep that weight. Doesn't seem possible. But it happened.

herbivore21

I usually don't feel the need to eat and so I average less than one meal a day, for example -- yesterday I had umm... right! I had a protein shake with hemp oil (about 250 calories in total) and that's all I had yesterday.

Should I be worried that my body is not telling me to eat or is it fine if I feel fine, I'm worried that perhaps I feel "fine" but really I only think I feel fine cause I don't know better? Anyways, maybe someone else has or had a similar experience/phase.

Thanks FC
If you are truly only eating that much each day man, you need to see a medical doctor immediately. You could have all kinds of gastointestinal problems from such a low food intake, which of course is going to effect your gut activity (leading to a lack thereof and associated complications).

This could be anorexia nervosa, or it could be another health condition which is leading to problems with appetite/food related satiety.

Regardless, don't ask us here man. See a medical professional. This shit can cause you serious, lifelong complications and literally take years off your life. Take care bro.

biohacker

@TboneToker What do you use cannabis for? What is your medical history? How much cannabis do you use? Do you dab? How long have you used cannabis for?

Just curious....i've noticed some things after a decade of vaping exclusively (2g/day)....my appetite gets less and less, the munchies go away, and it's like I essentially need to vape in order for my stomach to be normal enough to eat. It's quite common in heavy users which is why I was asking.

My protein shakes can break 1000cals....so you should consider adding some more stuff to your shakes...even extra fruits, coconut oil, etc.

But yeah, you need to take this seriously and get some nutrition into you bro!

Farid

I struggle eating 3 meals a day because of lack of appetite, but I always make sure I get at least 2 meals, otherwise I feel awful. Breakfast is usually just a cup of coffee and some pills, but I make sure to get lunch if this is the case. Cannabis doesn't seem to stimulate my appetite, but it doesn't seem to suppress it either. If I exercise more my appetite goes way up, but lately I've been so busy that I haven't gotten any exercise besides walking the dog.

Prolusio

I had a protein shake with hemp oil (about 250 calories in total) and that's all I had yesterday.

One thing I'd be concerned about with intaking that little food daily is malnutrition. It doesn't matter if you're consuming 250 or 2500 calories if you're not getting the vitamins and nutrients your body needs! Hopefully you can find the motivation to add some variety to your smoothies even without the drive of appetite.. Which is understandably hard.

One way to check if you're at a ~ healthy weight is with Body Mass Index, a calculation of your body fat vs height. The range is based on general pop stats and it doesn't take into account muscle mass so it's not accurate in every case, but should be close enough for a rough comparison.

@TboneToker I quickly punched your numbers into a BMI calculator and it looks like as a 6 ft, 125 lbs Male, you have a BMI of 17.0 which puts you into the "underweight" category. The "healthy" BMI is 18.5 to 24.9.. So just from these numbers it looks like more calories wouldn't hurt you at least!

But this is just a rough comparison based on the general population. It just means that, on average, a "healthy" 6ft tall person would weigh a little more than you do now. I'm not saying you're not healthy or anything, I'm no doctor.. Just something to take a look at! You might feel fine, but maybe you could feel even better with the right foods?! Hopefully you live somewhere where you can access a doctor to give you some real answers if your feelings start to change!

biohacker

Breakfast is usually just a cup of coffee and some pills,

Coffee can crush your appetite. I went through brutal withdrawals when I quit coffee, but it definitely had a positive impact on my appetite. It was nice feeling hungry in the morning for once. But damn, do I miss coffee...unfortunately it messes with my sleep too much, as does practically anything.

It doesn't matter if you're consuming 250 or 2500 calories if you're not getting the vitamins and nutrients your body needs!

This is such an important point! A calorie is not a calorie like some people think. Alot of people are actually nutritionally starving, even though they don't look it.

Yeah BMI I think i'm considered overweight because i'm 6'3 195 with 10% body fat :o

I used to be 165....at 6'3 I was a toothpick, and nothing changed until I started weight lifting at the age of 21 and I put on 20lbs in 6 months just by lifting nearly every day and slamming back high calorie protein shakes and eating like crazy. It's now 20 years later, and i'm in even better shape.

OP - how physically active are you? There is definitely a correlation between physical activity and appetite! Once you get check out and in there clear and feeling up to it, i'd consider starting a strength building muscle conditioning program.

Tranquility

One thing I'd be concerned about with intaking that little food daily is malnutrition. It doesn't matter if you're consuming 250 or 2500 calories if you're not getting the vitamins and nutrients your body needs!
Calories matter. There needs to be a certain amount of carbohydrates taken in for daily activities/movement/metabolism. If the body does not get enough from food, it has to break down internal structures to get them. While I think it is called something different today, in my day we called the process the Krebs cycle. It is easier for the chemical processes of the body to break down protein over fat to get the carbohydrates needed for life. Protein is stored in the muscles. The heart is a muscle.

Tranquility,

biohacker

There needs to be a certain amount of carbohydrates taken in for daily activities/movement/metabolism.

This is incorrect. There is no requirement for carbohydrate in the human body. There is a requirement for protein and fat, but not carbohydrate. Ketosis is not an abnormal condition, which many people confuse with ketoacidosis.

Krebs cycle...citric acid cycle, more nonsense that has been proven over time....same with all the university textbooks being rewritten due to Wim Hof and his proven theories on actually being able to influence and control the autonomic nervous and immune systems. The term I think you were looking for is gluconeogenesis, which is the break down of protein (amino acids) and converted to glucose. We are burning a combo of fat and sugar all the time, however unfortunately due to our society and perverted diets, most people are strictly mostly sugar burners. A great way to age fast and die young.

We need to unlearn alot of the BS that has been fed to us all our life. Including "government recommendations" on diet.... follow the money.

But in the end, it all comes down to your own critical thinking and doing what works for you.

@OldNewbie Can you please send me a PM? I've tried to contact you but you don't have the ability to receive a PM or something?

Prolusio

Calories matter. There needs to be a certain amount of carbohydrates taken in for daily activities/movement/metabolism.

I did not mean to imply calories are unimportant for energy! My point was just that increasing caloric intake alone might not be as beneficial as OP would want if those calories are also empty ones. Many people in Canada and the US eat enough every day and are still malnourished because they are not intaking a balanced diet; malnourishment cannot always be fought by eating more and it's not always obvious. You can be obese and malnourished!

biohacker

Calories do matter. But hormones matter more. It's all about nutrient DENSITY. We are all starting to lack even basic minerals like magnesium due to soil depletion and stressful lifestyles that strip magnesium. Cannabis apparently creates a massive magnesium demand.

And the worst.... and I do hope OP gets checked out, is malabsorption due to a compromised gut. You can have as much of something as you want, but if it's not getting through, you're in trouble.

Doktor Dub

Thanks FC

I think you already know what to do: Go see a (good) doctor as soon as possible. If you are not completely satisfied with how he/she takes care of you - go see a second one.

No one on this Forum will be really able to help you, this is serious and can potentially become Life threatening!!!

C No Ego

Thanks FC

Superfoods... look up that term and consider which of those appeal to you... Chlorella, Spirulina etc.... especially Chlorella, eat as much daily as you like...
The " crystal manna" guy lived on blue green algae for two years straight. I met him years ago, cool dude..

TboneToker

Coffee can crush your appetite. I went through brutal withdrawals when I quit coffee, but it definitely had a positive impact on my appetite. It was nice feeling hungry in the morning for once. But damn, do I miss coffee...unfortunately it messes with my sleep too much, as does practically anything.

This is such an important point! A calorie is not a calorie like some people think. Alot of people are actually nutritionally starving, even though they don't look it.

Yeah BMI I think i'm considered overweight because i'm 6'3 195 with 10% body fat :o

I used to be 165....at 6'3 I was a toothpick, and nothing changed until I started weight lifting at the age of 21 and I put on 20lbs in 6 months just by lifting nearly every day and slamming back high calorie protein shakes and eating like crazy. It's now 20 years later, and i'm in even better shape.

OP - how physically active are you? There is definitely a correlation between physical activity and appetite! Once you get check out and in there clear and feeling up to it, i'd consider starting a strength building muscle conditioning program.

doctor has never said anything is wrong with anything at all after doing tests all my vitamins (d as well) are at good levels.

this was last year but the same stuff is present in my life as far as weight and calories.. of course average 650 means sometimes I eat 1200 or so and sometimes I eat next to nothing.

TboneToker,

TboneToker

There are no doctors here only one is the one I have. The rest of the doctors are all "full" with patients.

I live in Canada and while taxed health care is nice, it sucks when you actually want a "good" doctor, cause you'll never really know how good they are. I know if one charges twice as much then they are better but in Canada it's all the same so i have no idea if the doctor is good/bad/mediocre/etc... thanks FC. I still don't know what to do but I feel fine?

TboneToker

I'm worried that I might be hurting myself without knowing.

Like you know how when you're dehydrated so much that your body decides to 'shut off' that feeling for as long as it can.. to make it so you can last long enough til you find water.. what if it happens for food too and I am really hurting myself slowly.

TboneToker,
Reactions: JCat
Top Bottom