next generation e-nails?

PoopMachine

I see D-Nail has the DIY kit available again after being told it was no longer going to be offered. So awesome to pay $150 more for something I would have liked to have assembled myself and saved the cash.

Im seriously about over D-Nail and their customer service.

Last edited:

DrSteez

and their elusive carb caps, lol! still havn't got one. they email me, i try to buy next day, and its sold out.

Anyone try any new glass out lately?

im thinking of getting either a mothership or that vornado recycler from dhgate.

DrSteez,

DrSteez

I've got two e-nail bases permanently stuck to their dropdown (one female, one male), luckily I can still screw the nail top off and on for cleaning so it's workable anyway. I try to lift the nail out of the dropdown occasionally to keep it from getting stuck, it's the resin buildup in the nooks and crannies of the joint that seems to cause the issue combined with the constant heat from the e-nail.

Never say never but it only covers half the joint on a 14mm and it's much easier to wiggle it to get some play going. On an 18mm you're more likely to be worried about it falling off the joint than getting stuck. I'm using their male adapter now, so far no issues.
can you talk more about that water dropper clean you do?

just a drop straight on the dish?

I have a few spots on the quartz dish that is black from the reclaim, no matter how long I leave it in the ISo. I've never turned up the heat though, too afraid of breaking it.

DrSteez,

Nintenjoo

and their elusive carb caps, lol! still havn't got one. they email me, i try to buy next day, and its sold out.

Anyone try any new glass out lately?

im thinking of getting either a mothership or that vornado recycler from dhgate.

I finally got one of their carb caps, and while the $55 price tag is a little
crazy, it makes a huge difference on my SiC dish.

I definitely don't understand the appeal of their actual controller though. If I had money to blow, I guess why not. But I can't understand needing more than an RDK-200.

PoopMachine

I finally got one of their carb caps, and while the $55 price tag is a little
crazy, it makes a huge difference on my SiC dish.

I definitely don't understand the appeal of their actual controller though. If I had money to blow, I guess why not. But I can't understand needing more than an RDK-200.

I gave my RDK-200 to a friend and my Terpz unit started having display issues. I heard D-Nail was better than everything else from a temperature control standpoint and I needed a new controller so I figured why not.

I wanted the DIY kit... I emailed them, was told it was discontinued and would not be back so I bought the 1.3 controller which was new at the time. Now they have a 2.0 in the pipeline as well. This was less than 2 months ago.

Im just annoyed. Ive had poor service from them in the past and like an idiot I keep buying from them. I think this is the straw that breaks the camels back tho. I would have gladly held off a month to get a DIY kit if I hadnt been lied to.

grokit

well-worn member
My cheap deal fell through because of my wishywashy-ness, at least now I know I want the flat coil. The seller ran out and shipped mine off to somebody else so I have a chance to choose something else.

I'm leaning toward the RDK-200 as a slightly better option but it's $75 more. I like the knob and can live with the front-facing ac cord, but for another $50 more than that I could get a briefcase setup from bigcartel; with the latter I also have the option to pay another $30 for the nail, but there's no knob.

edit: As I said earlier, I am in no hurry. Pros and cons on the RDK-200 in a nutshell anybody?

If I lose the knob and can provide my own case I might as well go back to my original choice. To just get one from dhgate is almost the same price, so I can wait for this seller to re-stock or until a decent coupon that actually works comes along from dhgate. I like the igloo rig but don't want to spend that much.

edit2: getting sidetracked by glass on dhgate lol, dam gas getting to me from the side :science::evil:

Last edited:
grokit,
Reactions: jl420

PoopMachine

The RDK-200 is a great unit.. The front cord is really the only deal breaker. Temperature control is good, the PID is programmable, it works with several wattage coils, etc. All my friends have the 200 and no complaints. I gave mine to a buddy out in Cali and he is still using it after I used it daily for months.

My Terpz unit was very solid as well. Not as cheap as the Auber but a great unit. The display started getting weird on me so I replaced it with a D-Nail unit.

PoopMachine,
Reactions: grokit

grokit

well-worn member
The only other con of the RDK-200 is no automatic shut-off.
I saw that in a reddit thread, they pointed out it's the RDK-300 that has the auto-shutoff. But the 300 is twice as much $, another $75. I can buy a belkin auto-shutoff timer that lets me adjust from .5 - 6 hours for $14 shipped. So I suppose I'm leaning toward the 200 with the belkin on the side, or back to that 1st one.

grokit,
Reactions: jl420

weenstoned

I saw that in a reddit thread, they pointed out it's the RDK-300 that has the auto-shutoff. But the 300 is twice as much $, another $75. I can buy a belkin auto-shutoff timer that lets me adjust from .5 - 6 hours for $14 shipped. So I suppose I'm leaning toward the 200 with the belkin on the side, or back to that 1st one.

Ya I don't really miss it. Occasionally I forget to unplug it when I pop over to the grocery store and have left it going overnight once or twice, but I live in a region with no earthquakes and have no pets or kids so chances of anything really happening seem slim.

weenstoned,

Monsoon

can you talk more about that water dropper clean you do?

just a drop straight on the dish?

I have a few spots on the quartz dish that is black from the reclaim, no matter how long I leave it in the ISo. I've never turned up the heat though, too afraid of breaking it.
Just a few drops at a time on the dish, let it sizzle and evap and then repeat until it looks cleaner.

I wanted the DIY kit... I emailed them, was told it was discontinued and would not be back so I bought the 1.3 controller which was new at the time. Now they have a 2.0 in the pipeline as well. This was less than 2 months ago.

Im just annoyed. Ive had poor service from them in the past and like an idiot I keep buying from them. I think this is the straw that breaks the camels back tho. I would have gladly held off a month to get a DIY kit if I hadnt been lied to.

I thought I had read somewhere else they were just temporarily out of parts, I'll look around and see if I can find it. Might be worth emailing them about it and see what happens. EDIT: They posted on Feb 19 on the Facebook group (anyone can join) that they were just out stock of components.

From what others have reported here it seems D-Nail support has become inconsistent lately, different info or outcomes depending on who handles your email. Other recent cases that I remember: One person asking about 3rd party coil compatibility I think for Auber, first they were told no, then referred to another department, got asked a bunch of unnecessary questions and then told yes it was. The other one the guy got a Quartz Halo that broke when he first heated it up despite carefully ensuring it wasn't tight. He was using an InfiniTi base and Auber flat coil and unit. He was initially told he was at fault for using an unauthorized setup and was only offered a discount on a replacement. He was later told there was a mixup and he would be getting a free replacement after all. I don't think I've seen a legitimate case of someone being screwed over by them yet but you might need to push a bit to get a satisfactory resolution when before you didn't. My educated guess is that their level one support is newer and they're having issues with knowledge transfer internally especially on the fringe cases. I've gone through that in two of my past support type jobs, it sucks and more mistakes are to be expected (to err is human) but it's up to management to make sure things are smoothed over and that it's a temporary bump. I, and I think most people, would be fine with waiting an extra day or so for the correct answer instead of a quick wrong one and forcing people to be stressed out.

Last edited:
Monsoon,

grokit

well-worn member
One thing that I like about that original cheap vapecode system is that it has "auto system tuning", which I think means no compensation. The auber is supposedly the most accurate with the 20mm coil: "the 20.0 mm coil's surface temperature is the closest to its sensor reading; its temperature correction coefficient is only 1.03 by test". I think that auber's flat coil needs the most compensation. Do I have this right?

grokit,

PoopMachine

Just a few drops at a time on the dish, let it sizzle and evap and then repeat until it looks cleaner.

I thought I had read somewhere else they were just temporarily out of parts, I'll look around and see if I can find it. Might be worth emailing them about it and see what happens. EDIT: They posted on Feb 19 on the Facebook group (anyone can join) that they were just out stock of components.

From what others have reported here it seems D-Nail support has become inconsistent lately, different info or outcomes depending on who handles your email. Other recent cases that I remember: One person asking about 3rd party coil compatibility I think for Auber, first they were told no, then referred to another department, got asked a bunch of unnecessary questions and then told yes it was. The other one the guy got a Quartz Halo that broke when he first heated it up despite carefully ensuring it wasn't tight. He was using an InfiniTi base and Auber flat coil and unit. He was initially told he was at fault for using an unauthorized setup and was only offered a discount on a replacement. He was later told there was a mixup and he would be getting a free replacement after all. I don't think I've seen a legitimate case of someone being screwed over by them yet but you might need to push a bit to get a satisfactory resolution when before you didn't. My educated guess is that their level one support is newer and they're having issues with knowledge transfer internally especially on the fringe cases. I've gone through that in two of my past support type jobs, it sucks and more mistakes are to be expected (to err is human) but it's up to management to make sure things are smoothed over and that it's a temporary bump. I, and I think most people, would be fine with waiting an extra day or so for the correct answer instead of a quick wrong one and forcing people to be stressed out.

I really dont use Facebook much.

I posted in this thread sometime around Jan 25th about my conversation with them and it was via email. I wish I still had the email but Gmail deletes it after 30 days. It is what it is at this point.

For the premium price their stuff commands, customer service should be better. Thats about all I have to say.

PoopMachine,
Reactions: rolln_j

rolln_j

. I don't think I've seen a legitimate case of someone being screwed over by them yet but you might need to push a bit to get a satisfactory resolution when before you didn't. My educated guess is that their level one support is newer and they're having issues with knowledge transfer internally especially on the fringe cases. I've gone through that in two of my past support type jobs, it sucks and more mistakes are to be expected (to err is human) but it's up to management to make sure things are smoothed over and that it's a temporary bump. I, and I think most people, would be fine with waiting an extra day or so for the correct answer instead of a quick wrong one and forcing people to be stressed out.

you must not know anybody who bought a rosin press from them then!

rolln_j,

DrSteez

Anyone with hymans 4mm quartz banger... What have you dialed the heating and waiting period as?

DrSteez,

Monsoon

you must not know anybody who bought a rosin press from them then!
It seems like everyone who asked for a refund, even after receiving their press, got one. I don't count that as being screwed if the customer was made whole again in the end. I think they deserved some of the criticism that they got for the pre-order but I feel a lot of the rage towards them for it was due to impatience more than anything else. Between Kickstarters and buying China glass I'm just happy to get the thing whenever it comes now, unless something is in stock there's no guarantees whatever they say.

Monsoon,

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
I would like to report to everyone that my 710-Whip is still running fine, well over a year of solid use in its belt.

I did have a bead of solder come free inside the controller, but it was a quick re-melting to get it all functioning again.

It's now cheaper than it used to be and the "FC101" discount code still works last I checked.

matthend

my 710 whip has been on pretty much 24/7 for almost a year now and has no issues at all. It is making it really hard to convince the wife i need to spend the $ on a liger based setup

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
I gave my RDK-200 to a friend and my Terpz unit started having display issues. I heard D-Nail was better than everything else from a temperature control standpoint and I needed a new controller so I figured why not.

I believe the d-nail 2.0 was discontinued unless they're bringing it back. You can still see one of the 2.0 pids in the Hickory collab in d nail's custom shop. Not sure why they discontinued them but they were like $800 and the pid they were using costs about $150.

MileHighLife,
I believe the d-nail 2.0 was discontinued unless they're bringing it back. You can still see one of the 2.0 pids in the Hickory collab in d nail's custom shop. Not sure why they discontinued them but they were like $800 and the pid they were using costs about $150.
The have a 2.0 in stock now for 800 besides a remote it boasts basically being an all around better unit

Cannabis Connoisseur,
Reactions: MileHighLife

grokit

well-worn member
I posted this in the ceramic nail thread but it's kind of dead over there, and since this has a sic dish it's got next generation cred lol. I was wondering if any of you fine folk had an opinion on this nail.

I just noticed that d-nail makes a sic replacement insert for hive's 2-piece domeless ceramic nail.

It looks like it would work well with a standard flat e-coil. Has anybody tried it?

d-nail-sic-torch-2.jpg

http://www.d-nail.com/d-nail-sic-torch-nail

grokit,
Reactions: rolln_j
Top Bottom