next generation e-nails?

weenstoned

The main concern is that XLR connection is probably not grounded and the coil is more fragile than a male XLR coil. I have seen enails on dhgate that are basically the same as you ordered but with a female connection. Might be worth looking into if you are able to cancel your order.

@Nintenjoo I have that same nail (though I didn't purchase it from thick ass glass) and recently had it stuck on pretty tight to my dropdown managed to unscrew all the other parts of the nail then run it under hot water which heated up the reclaim making it stick and allowed it to loosen. Definitely thought I might break the joint, but I got lucky. When I got it off there was a circle of reclaim right about where your joint broke. I dunno if it is a flaw in design, but could be avoided by cleaning regularly and/or removing the nail either at the start or end of every sesh just to ensure it never gets stuck on too long. My preference would be to use the male end of the nail, but I already broke one dropdown from heat expansion with the same nail.

@herbivore21 I think what you said definitely applies only to the D-Nail base and probably Liger base as well, as using the universal nail from auber in the male configuration broke one dropdown. Though I think using cheap nails in female configuration won't cause breakages, but are more apt to getting stuck.

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/14-18mm-highly-educated-ceramic-domeless/373181390.html

Just got this nail a couple of days ago and I would say it's probably the best chinese nail for an e-nail. Pretty nice flavor and cheap price. Thought i would have to crank the temp because it's a barrel coil nail, but I guess ceramic has pretty good heat transfer as I am getting minimal trails at 666. One concern is keeping it clean, which might make the titanium-quartz hybrid the better china nail as you can q-tip it, but you also need a large carb cap compared to the ceramic which can use a standard size.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
The main concern is that XLR connection is probably not grounded and the coil is more fragile than a male XLR coil. I have seen enails on dhgate that are basically the same as you ordered but with a female connection. Might be worth looking into if you are able to cancel your order.
I think it is grounded, at least they list "Earth leakage protection" as a feature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_leakage_circuit_breaker

This is the only discussion I could find about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CannabisEx...h/does_anyone_know_anything_about_this_enail/

grokit,

Nintenjoo

@Nintenjoo I have that same nail (though I didn't purchase it from thick ass glass) and recently had it stuck on pretty tight to my dropdown managed to unscrew all the other parts of the nail then run it under hot water which heated up the reclaim making it stick and allowed it to loosen. Definitely thought I might break the joint, but I got lucky. When I got it off there was a circle of reclaim right about where your joint broke. I dunno if it is a flaw in design, but could be avoided by cleaning regularly and/or removing the nail either at the start or end of every sesh just to ensure it never gets stuck on too long. My preference would be to use the male end of the nail, but I already broke one dropdown from heat expansion with the same nail.

@herbivore21 I think what you said definitely applies only to the D-Nail base and probably Liger base as well, as using the universal nail from auber in the male configuration broke one dropdown. Though I think using cheap nails in female configuration won't cause breakages, but are more apt to getting stuck.

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/14-18mm-highly-educated-ceramic-domeless/373181390.html

Just got this nail a couple of days ago and I would say it's probably the best chinese nail for an e-nail. Pretty nice flavor and cheap price. Thought i would have to crank the temp because it's a barrel coil nail, but I guess ceramic has pretty good heat transfer as I am getting minimal trails at 666. One concern is keeping it clean, which might make the titanium-quartz hybrid the better china nail as you can q-tip it, but you also need a large carb cap compared to the ceramic which can use a standard size.

Removing it for heating/cooling would definitely fix any issues relating to this.

The Dnail slim series is designed much differently in that I don't think the female 14/18 would ever get stuck.

Nintenjoo,

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
I've had a dnail slimline 14mm female get stuck in two different dropdowns.
Broke one of them getting it out (my fault).

I like using the old V1.3 base, which fits 14/18mm female, in an 18mm female joint.
It makes it kinda like a direct injection and I get NO reclaim between the nail and the dropdown.
There is also a 14/18 femaile slimline base that looks like it would work in the same fashion.

alittledabwilldoya',

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I have been lingering in this thread for a while and will likely be making the jump to an e-setup in the next month or so when travels subside.

Are there any not too pricey options for something that comes in an inconspicuous case (pelican or other) and has a screen and controls, most the options I have seen are all over $500...eek.

And I keep reading about this liger. What is so special about it?

I am somewhat a fanatical cleaner, what should I be looking at in nails/dishs that clean 100% thoroughly?

FlyingLow,
Reactions: grokit

grokit

well-worn member
I'm torn. I tried to cancel my order after seeing the dhgate models, but the guy wrote me back instead of canceling and wanted a reason. I gave him a vague one but who knows wtf is going to happen now. I'm glad I went through paypal, I am not in any hurry so even if I have to refuse delivery and wait two months for my money back, I could have a dhgate rig in a matter of weeks. Just have to kiss the $100 bye for a while.

But this was a usa seller that supposedly warranties his rigs for a year with no questions asked exchanges for faulty/defective equipment, which I wouldn't have at all with dhgate. Otoh if I'm getting static for trying to cancel my order an hour later, who knows what that warranty is really worth so like I said I'm torn.

edit: the reason I gave suggested that I was interested in upgrading to a bigger nail, so perhaps I will find out about compatibility/possibilities for attaching other nails to the xlr port on this one. And I will also find out more about this retailer, by his response to this technical inquiry as well as the return request.

Last edited:
grokit,

Nintenjoo

I've had a dnail slimline 14mm female get stuck in two different dropdowns.
Broke one of them getting it out (my fault).

I like using the old V1.3 base, which fits 14/18mm female, in an 18mm female joint.
It makes it kinda like a direct injection and I get NO reclaim between the nail and the dropdown.
There is also a 14/18 femaile slimline base that looks like it would work in the same fashion.

This one?
http://cdn.d-nail.com/media/catalog...25d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/q/t/qtz-slim-temp_1.jpg

Seems like it's so shallow that it would never get really stuck. It definitely sticks to my adapter when it gets cold, but it seems to only sit on the tip of a 14mm female that it wouldn't get stuck.

Nintenjoo,

grokit

well-worn member
The guy had enough patience to talk to me and was willing to cancel so decided screw it, I will let the order ride and I canceled the cancellation. Because it's a flat coil I decided to grab this as well:

Quartz%20Hybrid%20E-Nails%20from%20Top%20Star%20Highly%20Educated%20Quartz%20Hybrid%20ENails.jpg

http://www.dhgate.com/product/2016-...nail-titanium/373183422.html#cart_view-1-null

I'm getting the feeling we need a cheap chinese enail thread around here :cool::ninja::worms:!
:popcorn:

Last edited:

Monsoon

I am somewhat a fanatical cleaner, what should I be looking at in nails/dishs that clean 100% thoroughly?
So am I. I'm using a D-Nail Quartz Halo and I'm pretty happy with it. I q-tip after every dab and jack up the heat to 980F to burn off the remaining residue. I just started using a water dropper on it while it's hot and it works surprisingly well to the point I barely have to torch clean it anymore.

Monsoon,
Reactions: rolln_j

PoopMachine

Hopefully the cap shows this week. Josh said he should have them first of the week.

Great nail... Im not exactly sure why but it seems to be smoother than the dnail piece.. Probably because of heat source location and the shape of the unit.

herbivore21

Definitely bro what I say only applies to d-nail bases across the board as far as I know (I believe this includes the HE Infiniti too but I definitely have noticed that my 18/14 male ti base for the infiniti is not so perfectly shaped as my d-nail version of the same - I would never connect that directly to a female jointed rig - Infiniti female base on male jointed rigs is bulletproof though, I've pushed it up to 1000f in cleaning many a time and torched the living shit out of such setups without any dropdown and no problems at all!).

I should highlight that I have not used the Liger nails and can't say whether the bases on these will be good as I say above - if they are well machined to reasonably tight tolerances and have good QC procedures though there's no reason why they shouldn't be good without a dropdown too. I've been meaning to get one of the Liger nails to check out but I just can't justify parting with as much money as I spent on my sapphire halo to get the entire Liger setup (I do believe in using the matched carb when trying out a new nail setup, I want to try it as the designer intended!). I am therefore going to have to patiently wait until they have some kind of gargantuan 4/20 or 7/10 discount on these nails ;) unless some other discount option comes along! I will need to buy a 20mm heater coil for this one too since all my nails are flat coil these days.

As @weenstoned implies, and as @Nintenjoo's experience demonstrates I would not recommend using cheap jointed (non DI) titanium nails without a dropdown on expensive rigs!

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I keep seeing liger everywhere, can someone tell me what sets this piece apart? What makes it so great and why do I want one so badly?

FlyingLow,

PoopMachine

I keep seeing liger everywhere, can someone tell me what sets this piece apart? What makes it so great and why do I want one so badly?

Its more or less a titanium banger that you can put inserts in They have a quartz and SIC insert and Id assume you can use it plain as well since its TI.

I cant explain it other than the air path is a little longer but it hits smoother than my DNail SIC Infiniti. I dont have the correct cap for it yet so Ive been using my HDP cap... The cap is also kind of cool. You can scrape your dab up on it and cap and dab at the same time.

Nintenjoo

As @weenstoned implies, and as @Nintenjoo's experience demonstrates I would not recommend using cheap jointed (non DI) titanium nails without a dropdown on expensive rigs!

Small update.

Heated the whole nail with the piece of glass joint stuck in side and dropped it in ice water a couple times. I can't quite tell, but it looks like it may have fractured the glass inside.

Great, that's what I was hoping, now I can tap it on something and it'll fall out.
Nope...

Took a nail and a hammer, touched the nail through the hole to the broken joint and smacked it. Did this numerous times from both sides.
Nothing...

This thing is literally glued in. It was a clean joint!

I don't believe there is any way I would have ever been able to get this off the rig.

Monsoon

Small update.

Heated the whole nail with the piece of glass joint stuck in side and dropped it in ice water a couple times. I can't quite tell, but it looks like it may have fractured the glass inside.

Great, that's what I was hoping, now I can tap it on something and it'll fall out.
Nope...

Took a nail and a hammer, touched the nail through the hole to the broken joint and smacked it. Did this numerous times from both sides.
Nothing...

This thing is literally glued in. It was a clean joint!

I don't believe there is any way I would have ever been able to get this off the rig.
I've got two e-nail bases permanently stuck to their dropdown (one female, one male), luckily I can still screw the nail top off and on for cleaning so it's workable anyway. I try to lift the nail out of the dropdown occasionally to keep it from getting stuck, it's the resin buildup in the nooks and crannies of the joint that seems to cause the issue combined with the constant heat from the e-nail.

The Dnail slim series is designed much differently in that I don't think the female 14/18 would ever get stuck.
Never say never but it only covers half the joint on a 14mm and it's much easier to wiggle it to get some play going. On an 18mm you're more likely to be worried about it falling off the joint than getting stuck. I'm using their male adapter now, so far no issues.

Monsoon,
Reactions: rolln_j

nodrog

I've got two e-nail bases permanently stuck to their dropdown (one female, one male)

Have never had this happen with my CCA Liger titanium banger, which I use with an e-nail. I have a female joint on my pipe, and the tip of the down tube on the banger goes far enough into the pipe that I simply have not had ANY problems with this thing getting stuck. It generates basically no stickiness at all where the banger meets the pipe. Quite amazing.

herbivore21

I've got two e-nail bases permanently stuck to their dropdown (one female, one male), luckily I can still screw the nail top off and on for cleaning so it's workable anyway. I try to lift the nail out of the dropdown occasionally to keep it from getting stuck, it's the resin buildup in the nooks and crannies of the joint that seems to cause the issue combined with the constant heat from the e-nail.

Never say never but it only covers half the joint on a 14mm and it's much easier to wiggle it to get some play going. On an 18mm you're more likely to be worried about it falling off the joint than getting stuck. I'm using their male adapter now, so far no issues.
I'm using the male 14/18 adapter now too, also the 14mm female adapter for male gongs (much better than the 14/18mm in my view) on one of my other rigs. The 14mm female has been sitting directly on my >$500 Kevin Murray dropdown and left on for the better part of the last year and a half now without any damage whatsoever!

On another note (some may remember my mentioning this back when it happened) - The female 14/18 in question actually did originally have a flawed first batch where the tolerances for the 18mm part were too short preventing it from staying put on 18mm joints (this flawed pre-release beta version of the base works perfectly on a 14mm male GonG and never would fall off during normal use on a 90 degree angled rig - I would not use this 14mm/18mm female based composite at 45 degrees on a 14mm male GonG though).

As I was one of the very first beta testers to use the slim series base, unfortunately I got hit by this beta run problem. This ended up with a broken halo dish after my entire nail and coil came off of the 18mm male GonG and crashing down to the floor.

Let me put this in capitals and italics for the skim readers so noone gets the wrong idea though: THIS WAS A BETA, PRE-RELEASE VERSION OF THIS SLIM SERIES BASE OPTION, AFAIK IT WAS NEVER RETAILED TO THE PUBLIC AND ALL CURRENT MODELS DO NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE AFAIK. Still, my experience has scared me off of using this particular base for probably irrational reasons now that subsequent production runs have passed.

For those wondering, D-nail took care of the replacement halo since it was unequivocally a defect in the product manufacturing - as we would expect of any decent manufacturer!

@Monsoon
Wow man, I've never had any nail base get permanently stuck on any GonG, ever! I must qualify this by saying I've only used HE and D-nail titanium jointed bases before. I have used a variety of cheap ti enails but never on any of my own rigs (thank goodness after reading Nintenjoo's experience, fuck man, that is such a brutal thing to happen to your glass so soon!).

With this being said, I fastidiously clean my nail and rig either once a day or every 2 days at the most. By fastidious, I mean that I heat clean my nail dishes (with coil or torch for strictly SiC only), then iso clean, then clean with pressurized steam before rinsing and repeating until as new. I clean my rigs with 100% iso only, which with regular cleaning is all that is necessary IME. One thing about using the sapphire halo is the change of taste is very noticeable when you have reclaim buildup in the vapor path - especially inside/around the hot ti base of the nail (I have noticed now using male based slim series/halos on female GonG rigs that the base has never gotten stuck with oil to the glass - this can happen with male GonGs and female ti bases). This is a great motivator for frequent cleaning :D

BTW, with regard to the discussion above: a longer air path necessarily = a smoother dab at the expense of some flavor (the added smoothness and flavor lost are determined by the length/volume/shape of the additional airpath). Everyone will have a different sweetspot and of course, we all use different sized rigs. A nail with a longer airpath might simply be put on a rig with a shorter airpath/less internal volume/percolation or the reverse depending on personal taste ;)

PoopMachine

Kind of a weird thought but have you thought about dumping them in really hot ISO or Everclear? Might disolve the reclaim crud enough to get it unstuck.

Monsoon

Kind of a weird thought but have you thought about dumping them in really hot ISO or Everclear? Might disolve the reclaim crud enough to get it unstuck.
I think so but I'll give it another try sometime soon. I'm thinking put it in a bag of iso and then into boiling water. Might fit in my ultrasonic too.

Monsoon,
Top Bottom